Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floatwater

[CP] Ragna vs Azrael

Discuss the Ragna vs Azrael matchup here:

MOST of the frame data from EX still applies to CP. New character though so fresh strats.

Match Start:

• -

Neutral:

• -

Offense:

• -

Defense:

-

Punishes (on block/reaction):

Combo Notes:

I or a Mod will edit OP as more info comes.

[*]-

[*]-

Granted I only have hour 4 impressions of this matchup but is it me or does Azrael already feel like a solid counter pick against Ragna?

I could be totally wrong but I do know at least that his high damage versus our low health isn't fun :/

From what I've gathered it seems the main thing you want to do it put your self a range where is 5A whiffs and stay there as much as possible. 5B pressure should be pretty brutal for him.

This matchup isn't really bad, for the most part I think it's even.

His damage midscreen isn't too great unless he has weakpoints on you, and you can get out his pressure. His dash mix-up is really brutal though.

Watch out for Azraels j2C, the divekick. It's often used as an anti anti-air, since he lingers in the air it can whiff punish a 6A or even CID attempt if he's high up enough. To punish it you can always just wait til he begins his descent then CID. A risky but more rewarding punish is FC DID(2nd hit) to catch him out of it's startup. You can even combo on trades. But this is purely anticipation, doing DID too late will just lose. so you better have meter to RC if they block, if not say bye to your life.

This matchup isn't really bad, for the most part I think it's even.

His damage midscreen isn't too great unless he has weakpoints on you, and you can get out his pressure. His dash mix-up is really brutal though.

Pretty much my impression so far. Pressuring him in the corner can be a little dumb as he can dash out of gaps sometimes so you need to take things a little slower, but Ragna's pokes definitely seem better.

Got to play this match a fair amount last night...neutral game isn't as easy as I thought from my initial experiences, as there isn't a whole lot that he's unsafe on. His backdash is absurdly good but you can catch it with GH if the person's doing it habitually, or 6C in the corner, though 6C is slow enough for them to DP out. Dash mixup is rough to deal with but you can jab them out.

The dive kick is problematic depending where he is, if done right above your head it'll crossup and be positioned so that 6A will whiff and CID input will get reversed, I started just upbacking to gtfo when I saw it starting up. I still don't think the match is really in his favor if you can be better at reacting to dash mixups than I am(pretty low bar to meet), but I feel you need to be pretty careful in applying pressure with how good his backdash is, as he punishes pretty hard with weakpoints on.

If Azrael is fishing for a long range 5C hit, you can whiff punish it with HF from pretty far away.

eh nevermind I actually tried it and it's pretty unrealistic on reaction...you could still get it if you're really anticipating it though probably.

anyway, some other info. If you happen to get normal hit by his DP for whatever reason, immediately forward tech airdash j.C j.D > combo, works anywhere. Near corner you can do much worse to him.

IIRC doesn't counter hit push you full screen?

Counter hit knocks you about the same distance, but the difference is it's untechable til the ground, where on normal hit you can air tech right before hitting ground.

but yeah it's more likely to CH you, since it's a DP and all. if you do happen to get normal hit it's free damage on him though (assuming he can't RC).

The only thing I can think of that can force something like that is a semi-timed 5A (or mash lol) or 2C on wake up.

Now that I think about it, it's a nice situation to force if you have health to spare.

This is not a hard MU to deal with but if you mess up, you will die, not even kidding...

You have to keep Azrael within 2A range when trying to punish his wake up. If he tries to cross you up with dash, if you press 2A, you will catch him. If he tries to dash away, you can use 5B to keep him in check or even punish him. Push him to the corner to limit his escape options, when you have Azrael cornered, you're able to call out a lot of his options with an answer.

In neutral, you wanna let him know that you have 5B, because if you play a mid range game against him and he tries to hit you with his rekka, your 5B will hit him first because it's a semi-proximity special. When he's in range of your hitbox, it will go off, but if he's not near you by the maximum range of the super, it will go off at the end of the special's dash frames. When you have him blocking, stagger pressure is your friend, use it to open him up with a CH, throw and even a Crush Trigger will work if the player isn't not looking for it.

When Azrael is in the air, you can press 5D with the proper timing when you see him charge up his dive kick and punish him, if you're afraid to use 6A against it. The better option against his dive kick is 6A because you have upper body invul to get around his kick's hitbox. You can also get a more reliable combo off of it when you hit him with 6A rather than 5D.

You want to keep Azrael locked down during the match, if you can keep him in check with 5A/2A/5B, it makes the MU easier from my experience of fighting him.

How do you deal with his teleport cross ups on your wake up? Instead of just dealing high,low, and throws, now i gotta worry about whether he's gonna be in front of me or behind me. Any tips?

It's not particularly easy, just remember that overhead are relatively slow and you can option select barrier + crouching throw tech with a delayed 1A+B+C, so focus on watching for the dash animation and anticipate low, react to high.

His backdash is currently very, very good to where you can't really meaty it outside of the corner, you'll need to chase it down.

2A~5B~5C OS might be a better option then auto piloting a 5B/C on his wakeup.

His backdash is currently very, very good to where you can't really meaty it outside of the corner, you'll need to chase it down.

Don't let it turn to a habit, there's nothing funniersadder than Rags running straight into Azrael's fist.