Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

Order-Sol vs. Millia

Hintalove is right, and the specific situation I'm referring to is a good example of it. Millia's Oki: FB disc, Hair car FRC. Now, if you guard the hair car, followed by guarding high afterward (to block a potential FRC j.K mixup), you're in a fuzzy guard position. If Millia opts to land, THEN do a jump and j.K, she can guard break thanks to FB disc hitting multiple times, as you may still be in standing hitstun from guarding high previously. It doesn't matter if the move/projectile you guarded previously needed to be blocked high or mid, only that you guard standing and are still in standing guard stun. This is why I said it was tricky; FB disc can set up that situation, but the timing is strict.

ok posts moved also, what we in America call fuzzy guard is not the same as what Japanese call fuzzy guard. There is an actual term in the GGXXAC mook called "Fuzzy guard" (in katakana), and it refers to what Destin is talking about, a blocking sequence to defeat canned mixups. Example would be guard high then low against May 5D/5[D] mixup, you will guard it correctly every time. I first heard about this tech at NEC from one of the Chicago players, I believe? It was only after that that I noticed it in the mook. The mixups that Americans commonly call "fuzzy guard" (example HOS j.S into JC dj.HS or land 2D) are referred to in the mook as a type of "unblockable". I don't know the exact term since my kanji reading skills are terrible. The actual terms used in the Japan online community may be different since I don't frequent JPN message boards.

also, what we in America call fuzzy guard is not the same as what Japanese call fuzzy guard. There is an actual term in the GGXXAC mook called "Fuzzy guard" (in katakana), and it refers to what Destin is talking about, a blocking sequence to defeat canned mixups. Example would be guard high then low against May 5D/5[D] mixup, you will guard it correctly every time. I first heard about this tech at NEC from one of the Chicago players, I believe? It was only after that that I noticed it in the mook.

The mixups that Americans commonly call "fuzzy guard" (example HOS j.S into JC dj.HS or land 2D) are referred to in the mook as a type of "unblockable". I don't know the exact term since my kanji reading skills are terrible. The actual terms used in the Japan online community may be different since I don't frequent JPN message boards.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Been quite a while since I've attempted to read my mook...

Hintalove is right, and the specific situation I'm referring to is a good example of it.

Millia's Oki: FB disc, Hair car FRC.

Now, if you guard the hair car, followed by guarding high afterward (to block a potential FRC j.K mixup), you're in a fuzzy guard position. If Millia opts to land, THEN do a jump and j.K, she can guard break thanks to FB disc hitting multiple times, as you may still be in standing hitstun from guarding high previously. It doesn't matter if the move/projectile you guarded previously needed to be blocked high or mid, only that you guard standing and are still in standing guard stun.

This is why I said it was tricky; FB disc can set up that situation, but the timing is strict.

I used to do some simliar stuff with dizzy and the bubble, but the trick is, if the disk adds guard stun between the first jump K and the second, you can actually switch to low guard after the first jump k, and your guard will drop to low. That being said, no japanese players got out of my dizzy variation to this, so it may be difficult.

Assuming that you cannot drop guard, then the situation mentioned is a true 50/50 for sure.

Hintalove is right, and the specific situation I'm referring to is a good example of it.

Millia's Oki: FB disc, Hair car FRC.

Now, if you guard the hair car, followed by guarding high afterward (to block a potential FRC j.K mixup), you're in a fuzzy guard position. If Millia opts to land, THEN do a jump and j.K, she can guard break thanks to FB disc hitting multiple times, as you may still be in standing hitstun from guarding high previously. It doesn't matter if the move/projectile you guarded previously needed to be blocked high or mid, only that you guard standing and are still in standing guard stun.

This is why I said it was tricky; FB disc can set up that situation, but the timing is strict.

Interestingly enough, the first half of that Haircar FRC example is a great example of Japanese Fuzzy Guard - it's a precanned string that can be blocked 100% after blocking the haircar by blocking low first, then high for the small window that a j.K can be thrown, and then defaulting back to low block while watching for overheads for the rest.

If the FB Disc is used before the haircar though, it can go from a Japanese Fuzzy to an American Fuzzy... :psyduck: