Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pochp

[CP] Mu vs Amane

Discuss the matchup here. This post will get updated with relevant information eventually.

Pew pews vs sticky hands.

-Neutral is interesting as both characters have a lot of mobility options. Amane's normals can cause some trouble for Mu as they can catch her setting up at fullscreen where she's normally comfortable. However, a lot of his normals have very specific spacings and he is in a bad place if he whiffs one of them, which Mu's mobility can easily accomplish. It's somewhat difficult to anti-air Amane with his fabhop, jB, and jCs, so to some extent you have to respect him flying around in the air. Don't be afraid to attempt to airthrow, jC, or 2C them if they're getting too crazy though.

-Amane's high/low mixup is almost nonexistent, but he stay in for a long time. Look out for crossups and throw/TRM/throw baits. He can actually get crazy damage off a CH j2B throw bait. When his drill is at higher levels manage your barrier carefully - don't be afraid to Counter Assault out of chip damage setups.

-Once you're in you can pretty much go ham as Amane has no reversal options without meter. With meter, expect a Counter Assault or reversal super to get out.

In general, don't get too crazy with the jumps... he'll snatch your ass right back to the ground with 623C, which gives him an opportunity to force you to block moar drills.

Other than that, there don't seem to be any crazy things about this matchup as long as you're ready to change your setup routine quickly.

That's not completely true, Amane can't snatch you with 623 unless you're at a specific range when midscreen, and the recovery on that thing is ginormous.

That's not completely true, Amane can't snatch you with 623 unless you're at a specific range when midscreen, and the recovery on that thing is ginormous.

Allow me to elaborate....

Trying to maintain distance from him is a dangerous waste of health on Mu's part; it's pretty easy for him to land a C counterhit if Mu is spending too much time doing things other than directly pressuring Amane (like scattering Steinsgunners in 5-6C range or getting air-to-air'd). I mentioned Fabulous Scarfgrab because most Amanes I've had to deal with tend to make good use of it in their longer-range combos when they get a CH. After getting hit with any of his anti-air combos, the match pretty much goes downhill from there, at least for me.

With that said, yes, I have lost a match to a raw 623C and it was the worst feeling

I've grabbed people four times in a row with it, best feeling. But yeah if Amane's are using Gekiro in midscreen combos be thankful, they're giving up alot for it.

I still don't get how to play this matchup. So we rush him down or just stay full screen out of his range?

His range is better than ours, so i am not sure if it's the best idea to stay away from him at full screen because he can easily disrupt Mu from setting steins

Also his move that lets him manually charge his drill where he spins his cloth around him, now has projectile guardpoint. So it's probably another reason not to stay full screen from him

Chasing him down is very annoying because of his high jump arc and better reach normals, but personally i would rush him instead of letting him coming to me

I've tried simply trying to rush him down, but I doubt that it's the best way to proceed. I think Amane does pretty well against other rushdown characters that have better tools for it, so it would somewhat come down to playing the matchup in a way that is clearly unfavorable to us. Instead, I think it's better to place steins slowly and safely, with the intention of doing a 236d eventually. You also of course go in if you see an opening, and avoid the unfavorable positions where his long normals can catch you. But, it's somewhat hard for him to approach you as well, so the stein shots themselves aren't what you're aiming for, unlike most other matchups. It doesn't matter if you do j.d double jump then block his j.c (I think). You try to send out the 236d once he's used an air option, and are in a somewhat safe position to at least let the move out. He has hurtboxes on those long normals, so he won't try to challenge once the laser is out (in general). You take that opportunity to go in at start having fun.

It kind of sucks though that 236a is rather useless in the matchup. It's pretty easy for him to counterhit you with like 5c avoiding the fireball completely. It weakens our pressure game considerably imo, because when doing stagger pressure up close, he has 6b he can use to call out any throw or dash 2b/2a pressure reset. Factor in that our overhead is unsafe on IB, and the mixup on offense doesn't seem as dominant. It's like he has no meterless reversal, but good answers to what we can throw at him. Use frametraps a lot I guess, and stagger with dash 5b maybe to be safe to his 6b? I'd have to try to make sure.

Also, use j.c it's pretty good. His jump is much higher than ours, so the hurtbox on j.c doesn't affect us as much as in other matchups.

I asked about it because I fought Minori Hoshi and I noticed that I barely had any way of approaching him.

The problem is that you are vulnerable to his command grab that only works in the air if you decide to set up steins at long range in the air (i have seen decent Amane players aim for that, but it will whiff if you are really too far away). If you decide to set steins on the ground, then you can get hit by his 2c. A good Amane playe will try to keep you in between his 5b (which can and will beat our 5c at the start of round) 5c and 2c on the ground, while in the air he can safely outpoke us with most of his ground and air normals. His normals will likely force Mu to block and nullify her steins from firing, but you can try to use it later for totsuka

I noticed yesterday that his command that let's him charge his drill is much better after the patch, aside from the mentioned projectile guardpoint

the charge rate of the drill gauge using that move is much and much faster.

Personally i try to bait Amane in using his fairly risky ground normals because they either have openings (like his 2c into 5c, you can simply dash forward and immediately barrier cancel to crouching to "slide" forward to make 5c whiff and sometimes even punish him for it) or high recovery

Like zeromus said: Amane's mixups are very weak. None of his moves except j.a needs to be blocked high, so you can always block low against him. At best he can try to throw or bait your throw break attempt with throw invul/airborn 6b as "mixup".

If you do make a mistake against him, you are likely forced into one his drill setups and if he gets a lvl 3 drill, he will try to harrass you with high chip damage. Some of his drill setups (not the ones where he uses a RC) after a knockdown at full screen away can be avoided with a well timed backdash (which still is amazing post patch)

The problem is that you are vulnerable to his command grab that only works in the air if you decide to set up steins at long range in the air (i have seen decent Amane players aim for that, but it will whiff if you are really too far away). If you decide to set steins on the ground, then you can get hit by his 2c. A good Amane playe will try to keep you in between his 5b (which can and will beat our 5c at the start of round) 5c and 2c on the ground, while in the air he can safely outpoke us with most of his ground and air normals. His normals will likely force Mu to block and nullify her steins from firing, but you can try to use it later for totsuka

I noticed yesterday that his command that let's him charge his drill is much better after the patch, aside from the mentioned projectile guardpoint

the charge rate of the drill gauge using that move is much and much faster.

Personally i try to bait Amane in using his fairly risky ground normals because they either have openings (like his 2c into 5c, you can simply dash forward and immediately barrier cancel to crouching to "slide" forward to make 5c whiff and sometimes even punish him for it) or high recovery

Like zeromus said: Amane's mixups are very weak. None of his moves except j.a needs to be blocked high, so you can always block low against him. At best he can try to throw or bait your throw break attempt with throw invul/airborn 6b as "mixup".

If you do make a mistake against him, you are likely forced into one his drill setups and if he gets a lvl 3 drill, he will try to harrass you with high chip damage. Some of his drill setups (not the ones where he uses a RC) after a knockdown at full screen away can be avoided with a well timed backdash (which still is amazing post patch)

Which steins would be useful against Amane? I know you can't do laser fortress against a good one.