Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Stormlocke

[GGAC] Robo-Ky: Talky-Talky Goes Here!

Any tips for meaty bazooka timings and spacings? Is timing/spacing different for level 2/3? People can't, say, mash jab or throw you out of properly spaced bazookas right? Trying to make people respect my buttons on their wakeup. I understand some overdrives/uppercuts beat bazooka.

When I land a Robo Dash on low meter it's probably worth letting it charge right? I've seen people cancel it into a mat and I just get confused then.

Right now I'm just doing simple juggles like (whatever into) 2s 5h FRC 5h FRC j.s xx jump j.s j.h xx missile. However, one of my opponents started teching forwards here and I end up in the corner. I've seen people talk about comboing into j.d instead in air combos but I don't understand the advantages even if it hits fully.

After a j.s xx TK force break, I know I can do a j.k as an overhead but I'm not sure about the best combo option here. j.k 2k 2s?

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Kikuichimonji

Bazooka: I use slight run~5p whiff as a timing device after a 2s knockdown. I then go into bazooka as quickly as possible. Just remember the Level 2 bazooka hits 4 times, while the Level 3 bazooka hits 5 times. As a result you need to plan your mixup accordingly if it's blocked. When you really think about it, this is great attribute, as it's something else the opponent has to keep track of. After they begin blocking one, they have to remember if it's going to end after 4 hits or 5. Lots of Robots will just Robo-Dash during the middle of the bazooka-hits, which doesn't accomplish much. You are trying to make them guess if you are going to go for a Command Grab, or a Robo-Dash, so you need to do this AFTER they have finished blocking the bazooka hits. Timing this is key, remember you're attempting to mixup right as they're thinking, "Is the bazooka thing going to hit one more time? Ok it's gone. Is he going to throw me? Ok, I think he's going to throw me, I'll throw out a move." Then ideally you chose to mixup with Robo Dash. As you said you're aware that certain wakeup moves and supers will stuff bazooka, consult the Okizeme chart in the 5th post Robo-Guide if you haven't already. For example Sol's Grand Viper will always give you problems on wakeup if you attempt a bazooka.

Robo Dash: You are correct, generally yes it's worth standing there giggling to get the tension. I many times use this animation to try and bait an opponent's move as they wakeup. Your opponent sees you there in an active animation gaining tension and many times they want to do whatever they can ASAP to stop it. Try and anticipate this and punish. In regards to noticing people cancel into a mat, some Robots do this if they are under Tension Penalty Restrictions. For example if you just used a 2hs FRC, then connected a Robo Dash, you're not going to gain much tension as a result. Many times they'll just throw down a mat to cancel, run up and continue pressure.

Air Combos: You have to get a feel for when it's advantageous to end with either J.hs or J.d. It comes down to spacing, where you are and where your opponent is toward the end of your combo. If you are directly to their left or right and/or slightly above them, opt for j.HS. Alternatively, if you're close, but diagonally below them, go with J.d. You also have to have factor in your Heat Gauge. If you're utilizing J.hs you need to remember how it adds a grip of heat. You mentioned your opponent techs forward a lot. Try and capitalize on this and punish. If you have some extra tension, try ending your combo with a Force Break and fly toward them for an air-throw. I also am very fond of landing from my aircombo, as opponent techs, and superjumping diagonally backwards and doing a J.d. This has caught countless people off guard and has surprisingly become a staple of my game.

TK Force Break: Try to bypass the 2k entirely if you can, as it prorates. With that being said, it is reliable in the combo form you listed. If you've been forcing them to block a lot, or generally think you've got them conditioned/scared, don't forget about Force Break fly, land, instant Command Grab.

Hope this helps man. Feel free to keep the questions coming if you're so inclined.

Edited by Dr. Stormlocke

oh whaaa people posting here?

Anyway... something to remember about bazooka is that the distance that is safe from grabs and some dps is that its still not safe from potemkin buster (going along with what stormlocke said.. some chars just have ways to deal with bazooka every time). I think slayer is another char that can just abuse his dashes to not have to deal with bazookas unless they are like perfectly timed (and I think he can still just dash during his reversal frame and escape but not 100% sure on that). Another important thing to remember about the bazooka is that it won't always hit as many times as its supposed to for level 2/3 meter, and because hit count seems to be based on the distance traveled before connecting.

For robodash, recently I have come to the conclusion that its worth going for the meter if you have less than 2 bars, sometimes 3. If you have 2 bars or more, I personally feel its better to just FD/SB cancel it (FD cancelling is a lot easier for me than SB) and combo straight off the robodash (if I have 50% meter or more and its a counter hit, I cancel it into overclock). If you cancel it you can get a pretty easy damaging combo.. like robodash fd cancel 5p c.s j.k j.s j.s j.hs missile for pretty good damage. But its really up to you in the end to decide what's more important, meter or damage

oh yeah one more thing... that fd cancel robodash to combo doesn't work from max range hit

Edited by M.Song

What's the best combo off dust midscreen without meter? I've just been doing j.d xx jump j.d missile, hah. In the corner I know you can do like six different impossible dust variations to get to missile loop.

I've also been trying to figure out if you can do something like j.h xx force break and then dash split to air dash back in their face for a 50/50 but I haven't been able to get it to work because my execution is bad.

There are a lot of variables that determine what type of Dust combo you should do. Spacing, opponent's character weight, your tension, how much heat you have etc. j.d xx dj.d missile is kind of the classic building block to start at. I know it sounds lame but just experiment from there.

I'm fond of doing an IAD into j.s. If it's blocked I activate Force Break, pilot backwards in the opposite direction, and slightly upwards, and whiff a j.p. At this point you can air dash in AGAIN before you land and try to get a counterhit bounce with j.s or a wallstick with j.hs. It isn't something you should be doing very often, but it can catch people off guard. They don't expect Robo to be able to do two airdashes before landing, heh.

an easy one i do is 5d j.s j.s j.s j.p j.s j.p j.d it pushes them pretty far horizontally too

this doesn't do as much damage as the optimal dust combos starting with j.d, but this combo works on everyone, so you don't have to figure out when to jump cancel the j.d for maximizing damage

the best impossible dust combo is done in the corner 5d missile xn if you can get 5 missiles there is a decent chance you will dizzy them (and overheat and explode :<)

if they improve the netcode a bit, we need to play stormlocke. robo sensei! but that hour 1 netplay was rough. you hit me with det mode on block and i was like "i cant react to dust. i have to literally guess" ><

GG man. I was having a hard time too, so I went through the trouble of pulling out a long LAN cable and hooking my 360 up to my ASUS monitor, (instead of my Plasma...) Helped quite a bit.

o sick after i get out of work if i see you its on ^^

koogy accused you for dodging on his stream btw. defend the army ;)

oh iora and stormlocke... i'm gonna send you guys a friend request later

i'd like to be able to play people knowing how far apart they live so i can figure out if this extremely unplayable netplay experience was just cuz i was playing people too far away or if it was just me

my experience has been that 2 bar or better is playable without complaint. so i figure thats a few states. nj to ny was perfect for me for comparsion.

Just want to see godlike gameplay of him and use it as a reference.

Dogura is a very solid Robo. He has good execution, defense and is adept at punishing.

Nezu is another classic Robo. He is more aggressive and relies on gimmicks and randomness a lot of time. He has very solid execution despite this.

Gaku is another Robo you can look out for as well.

Cheers.

stormlocke, i saw you on stream for whatever xie was running ^^

Thank me later for those who care. I got top old-school Robo player "Nagao" to start posting a Robo Ky tutorial series. I've taken the time to make a playlist (this was originally going to only be for my selfish needs lol) of the vids he has posted so far. Hope this helps newer and older Robo's out there improve. Nagao was surprised that people even play GG in America, let alone that North America had any Robo's. Needless to say, he is thoroughly excited to provide this content. So please, if you like these vids and enjoy them please subscribe to his channel. That is all and enjoy. Disclaimer: Most of these things are techniques already covered in Dr. Stormlocke's Guide but there are a few things that I never new and that are not covered in the guide....

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz2ykTpbR8qUQvJmEorIJUfSy6ZR8v1p7

Wow, I'm not even a KY player but it is nice to see something like that. Some people have easier times processing this stuff visually rather than reading too.

Sign in to follow this