Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Stormlocke

[GGAC] Robo-Ky: Talky-Talky Goes Here!

I'm following Dr. Stormlocke's guide to learning Robo Ky. Right now, I'm starting to practice the 5HS frc starter from 2k 2s but mostly 2s right now. The best i've got so far as a combo is 2s 5HS frc dash 5k 5k j.c. Jk JS Jk JS JHS or something like that. Surely that isn't some universal combo? I am trying to get down the 2k 2s 5HS frc 66 Jk JS j.c Jk JD. I'm really horrible at execution but I'm going to try to diligently put in some daily frc practice everyday, even if it takes a few months. The 5HS frc timing is very strict. I can't get the dash to JK quick enough. Is 5H frc. dash 5H frc more reliable?

I'm following Dr. Stormlocke's guide to learning Robo Ky. Right now, I'm starting to practice the 5HS frc starter from 2k 2s but mostly 2s right now. The best i've got so far as a combo is 2s 5HS frc dash 5k 5k j.c. Jk JS Jk JS JHS or something like that. Surely that isn't some universal combo? I am trying to get down the 2k 2s 5HS frc 66 Jk JS j.c Jk JD. I'm really horrible at execution but I'm going to try to diligently put in some daily frc practice everyday, even if it takes a few months. The 5HS frc timing is very strict. I can't get the dash to JK quick enough. Is 5H frc. dash 5H frc more reliable?

i don't think the 5hs frc dash 5k 5k will work properly on light chars

5hs frc dash 5hs frc air combo is probably the easiest method, but its really meter intensive, so that really means you'd only be able to BnB people with 50% meter

a launcher combo that's a little harder than 2x 5hs frc, but uses less meter is 5hs frc dash (optional 5p) c.S air combo

the c.S has less hit stun than 5hs frc would, but it still lifts them about the same height as the 2nd 5hs frc would, so you can generally get the same air combo but need to jump/super jump faster

also about the optional 5p i mentioned earlier... some chars like johnny, you actually need the 5p there to get the air combo, some chars like sol/HOS if you add it, the c.S will whiff, and other chars it may make the timing a little harder, but its extra free damage

i hope this helps

i don't think the 5hs frc dash 5k 5k will work properly on light chars

5hs frc dash 5hs frc air combo is probably the easiest method, but its really meter intensive, so that really means you'd only be able to BnB people with 50% meter

a launcher combo that's a little harder than 2x 5hs frc, but uses less meter is 5hs frc dash (optional 5p) c.S air combo

the c.S has less hit stun than 5hs frc would, but it still lifts them about the same height as the 2nd 5hs frc would, so you can generally get the same air combo but need to jump/super jump faster

also about the optional 5p i mentioned earlier... some chars like johnny, you actually need the 5p there to get the air combo, some chars like sol/HOS if you add it, the c.S will whiff, and other chars it may make the timing a little harder, but its extra free damage

i hope this helps

Ok Thanks. That gives me some temporary options to work on until I get the 5H frc dash jump down.

Yay! Finally did a few double frc combos.

Hmm, now I'm struggling again in combos. independently, I can do it consistently. I wonder if I'm getting used to the input and doing it too fast.

Does anyone have any neutral tips for Robo Ky or is it just block block block? The real trouble I have is getting out of pressure especially against very rushdown oriented characters like HOS, Ky and a few others. I also have no idea what to do against Potemkin.

Edited by TeeJay

I don't want to double post but i guess it's been a while. I see I've been failing frc combos because I am dashing too long after I 5HS frc. But my real questions are: What's the best poke to get out of pressure? 5k or 5P. What should I priotize more? Okie or meter gain? Should I just be chillin' early on too build meter in the beginning of the round? Is 236236P useful as a normal strategy because I haven't seem much of it in Robo Ky vids. ^^Everything in my previous post.

Any ideas about the basic thought process in neutral? Sometimes I think I'm thinking about basic strings, or the frc, or combos so much that I'm slowing down my analysis in neutral. I know I shouldn't be actively thinking about those basics. I can't get away with my Litchi improvisation in this game.

oh sorry didn't see the stuff in the old post about his neutral game

if you have some space between you, you'd want to use 5k, 5p or far slash pretty much, don't 5hs too much cuz even tho its fast, you're at a frame disadvantage even on hit, unless counterhit or i think if you manage to him them out of the air with it

if you are having troubles with pressure, remember that these blockstrings are not all continuous and they do have openings that you can use your dp to deal with

What's the best poke to get out of pressure? 5k or 5P.

it depends on what kind of pressure

if you are willing to take a risk, dp or 5hs is a great poke since they are fast and will generally get you out if you hit, both have frcs, so you need to watch your meter when you do so

if you want to spend less meter and are stuck in the corner, i would suggest 1 frame superjumping out and be ready to fd or something if they jump after you

certain moves you can just 2k against to get out of pressure

if you have 50% meter and you see a slow move... you can actually punching super them out of their startup, which can lead to pretty good damage and either a knockdown or some extra damage

What should I priotize more? Okie or meter gain?

first, its important to remember that roboky pretty much has no oki without meter, so personally i prefer meter gain over oki if i'm chilling at 0 to 2 bars

once you are sitting at 5 bars, going for either is just dependent on your play style

i personally like having 60% meter when i start things

i gives me either 2 lvl 3 attacks to try to start something, then i can end with like 2 lvl 2 missiles if i get the combo

1 frc and then more lvl 2 missiles

a lvl 3 attack and a super

a lvl 3 attack and 2 frcs

sitting at 100% meter means you are a bigger threat because of walking lvl3 dp, but at that point you also have to remember that you aren't getting anything out of blocking or laying mats if you do

Should I just be chillin' early on too build meter in the beginning of the round?

i personally do not like to do this

when you let people rush you down so you can build meter, you are at a super disadvantage since the other chars have access to pretty much all their tools while you can't do anything

its hard, but try to get enough space between you so that you can just lay a mat, or find a way in using far slash or 5p so you can get a mat down (and don't jump you will lose and die)

Is 236236P useful as a normal strategy because I haven't seem much of it in Robo Ky vids.

normal? i would not call it that... it is however a tool you can use to throw people off since he does move faster and his backdash distance is longer... not to mention that he does gain meter during the duration of the super (just remember that frcs have meter gain penalties so you don't want to frc something at the start of the super) also a lot of chars have ways of keeping you far enough away before you explode, so remember that if you just explode and don't at least force them to block, you wake up meterless and helpless

Any ideas about the basic thought process in neutral?

here are 3 things i always think about in the match (not just in neutral)

my meter, spacing, and their meter... then i glance at life bars/burst bars

if you always have these in mind, then i think you might have an easier time thinking about the confirms/combos

since you are limited to pretty much limited to instant block, 2k, 5p, far slash, lvl 3 pony, lvl2/3 missiles in your neutral game

i hope this helps out some, but remember this is just based on my perspective and my playstyle, so hopefully other people post with some other tips to help you out

Thanks that helps a little. I'm moderately accustomed to fighting games i assume. I've been playing them purposefully since BBCT came out but I do have issues with consistency and execution. I know in Blazblue, I can hang around with some high level players and beat some solid players. But guilty gear is a huge adjustment and I still feel like I'm missing something basic. Overall, if you're good, I'm pretty free but I may when a round here and there. Not knowing what to do against Uri-Woz's dolphin spam troll tactics was a little discouraging. I managed to win that match but the first round was eww.

Actually I meant to ask, what does it mean if you are a player that is close in a lot of matches, but have a 28% win percentage like me. I've seen my self lose in the 3rd round of like 10 straight matches. That sounds like a chronic play-style or approach issue.

How long does it take to get a simple 5hs frc combo down? It's been 4-5 days maybe. Sigh.

Ok, I can 5HS frc dash 5HS frc jk js j.c. etc. fine. smh

Edited by TeeJay

Not knowing what to do against Uri-Woz's dolphin spam troll tactics was a little discouraging. I managed to win that match but the first round was eww.
6P beats horizontal dolphin, as does steam. Actually, you can just jab her out of it if you time it right. But yeah, May is a jerk. As for the up dolphin, block and punish.

Ok, I can 5HS frc dash 5HS frc jk js j.c. etc. fine. smh
Now I'm confused. Can you or can't you do the combo? Missile loops are somewhat character specific for how you start them.

I prefer 5H FRC dash 5H FRC over going into 5S because you end up closer to the opponent usually. This makes you get full hits off of j.d or makes j.k j.s dj j.s j.hs xx air missile consistent. Also if you want to missile loop you need to get down to level 2 anyway.

Also, in my opinion, Robo can be pretty goddamn annoying, even without meter. Off a throw, just lay down a mat and make them deal with a couple dash 5p's. Level 2 bazooka -> mat -> dash 5P works pretty well. 5k 5k Close 5s whiff 2p gives you like +2 frame advantage and allows you to pressure. Most moves that beat 5p -> dash 5p will lose to 5k, 2k or 2p. If they stop hitting buttons or FD, you can do retarded stuff like 5p -> mat -> 5p. Most people don't stop mashing though.

The goal is to gain meter, for sure. But you can convert a knockdown into pressure and get a little damage along the way. It's a lot safer to be on offense while on a mat than to be sitting on it and waiting for them run in on you.

Also hopefully you know about the 5k 5p 2k 2s combo. Close meaty 5k can be thrown, but it's a commitment from the opponent and can be baited with TK forcebreak/Horse/robo dash/steam/max range 2s. Max range meaty 5p cannot be thrown and is safe to nearly all reversals, including uppercuts.

Robo's 6P and 50%/80% 6H (steam) are basically essential tools to learn at neutral too. Against Slayer, 6p gets you out of a lot of shit (his 6h, 5k, overhead sometimes). Steam gives massive advantage on FRC, gives a combo on CH, is plus or even on block, and stops your forward momentum so that you can bait out mash/defensive throw attempts off a dash.

Don't rule out j.s at neutral. It gets you out of a lot of shit, like CH'ing Sol's Gunflame and Eddie's Drills.

5H FRC as a poke can be useful.

Also, don't be afraid to FD just because you're Robo Ky. FD is REALLY good defensively if used intelligently and not predictably. It's not an "oh shit he's close to me" option, but if you know what your opponent's options are, you can create gaps in their offense that wouldn't otherwise be there. Just don't get predictable, you'll die.

Robo's backstep is not the best in the game, but it's still a very powerful tool and you should abuse it. If you know you can backstep out of something, you need to consider trying it at least. I would argue that backstep is better than 1 frame jumping with Robo (1 frame jumping w/ Robo still takes 7 frames jump startup).

Finally, abuse the shit out of delayed wakeup. Good opponents know how to get around it (OTG setups - which you can get out of by teching after the OTG and hitting buttons, reacting to your delayed wakeup and just manually re-timing the setup, etcetera) but it's a hugely powerful tool in a game where oki setups rely on precise timings. You can also vary the actual timing of your delayed wakeup once on the ground.

Edited by Kikuichimonji

Wow, I didn't even think about varying the delayed wakeup. Thanks. I meant that i struggle to do 2k, 2s 5FRCs> air combo. My followup after 1 HS FRC doesn't work out consistently. I find 2s 5HS frc dash 5HS frc jk js j.c etc. much easier. That second part was an edit a day later.

I have noticed that f.s. spacing to scare people away on a mat has been working well for me along with the occasional use of 2HS to scare away jump ins. I'm also seeing the potential of j.s counter-hit which causes the ground bounce and sets up an easy combo followup. I recall seing Dogura doing a SRK into an air combo without FRC in +R. (SRK dash c.s launch) I wonder if that's a level 2 thing only or is it plus R only. Overall, I relied on air missiles too much, played too defensive at the start, played too conservative, didn't realize that lv 1 missiles for oki are bad, and I need to learn to tk missile consistently if I want to abuse them. The J.S. animation naturally had be delaying using it until air descent but I see it comes down fine while rising. (Yes, I was doing 5S j.c delayed JS occasionally. >_>) It's very funny that playing the game on PSP which makes me rely on other input tools helped me figure out a different feel and approach.

Thank you for the 5p info because i'm still trying to learn how to use it. It doesn't feel like a normal 5p or a BB 5A.

How do you feel about the occasional air to air missile on jump ins? That seems to be either feast or famine.

if the 2nd hit of the dp counterhits then they can't tech until they hit the ground

also using missiles as air to air is situational.... it works pretty good when they are further away from you and doing a slower startup attack

if its like slayer doing iad j.k at you, you'll probably lose without trading

In order to do air to air missile you have to predict. Which is fine, because unless they actually counter you for a level 3 missile, they have to block anyway after it splits up.

Don't actually TK the missile, just jump and do it immediately. Like I said before, Robo's jump is 7 frames, so you have plenty of time to do the motion.

You just need to recognize that missiles aren't your only option. Otherwise you lose to dumb stuff like Order Sol/May/Millia just running straight underneath your tk missile.

If they are playing patient, 5p is almost completely safe as a poke at range. For example, if you do 5p and Order sol does Fafnir at the same time, you can block. 5p can also stuff some jumps on the way up.

5k to mat as an OS poke is good since 5k beats a lot but doesn't lead to anything from far away. 2k can get you killed if they have a low-invincible move or they blow up your followup 2s/steam.

Far slash is really good but you can die for doing it at the wrong time if they jump or counterpoke it.

Hey guys. It's been a long time, and I've only just recently gotten back into GG, and I'm shaking out the rust. I'm still having trouble executing TK missiles in matches. I understand that if I do j.S, I'm doing the input too slow, and if I do an empty jump, it's probably too fast. I've had more luck doing 2368S rather than 2369S even though I know that shouldn't make a difference. Does anyone have any advice on how to consistently TK missile?

Thanks, I'll try those. But, H~S? Does that help the game's buffer, or is it more of a psychological thing?

*edit: 23696S is working out REALLY well! Thanks a lot!

Edited by vedasisme

I changed the gatling table to Robo Ky's dustloop wiki page. Please review it.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Robo-Ky_Frame_Data_(GGAC)#Gatling_Table

I know this is changing for +R (namely, cl.S gatlings to 6P, potentially others). But the one that was on there was just all wrong, had stuff that didn't even work.

Thanks. I've been slowly working on the new template for +R.

The old one did have some mistakes in it. I think 6k was listed as a gatling normal? Hah.

i got the avermedia live gamer portable today

when i get home i plan on playing around/recording some 80+ heat, high meter combos...

they aren't entirely practical due to the fact that high heat, high meter, and landing a hit don't actually happen very often, but i believe that these are really optimal combos that don't build any additional heat, don't require frcs, and do lots of damage

(pretty much how to get into pony loops off of random standing hits without using frcs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxnccp444vI&feature=youtu.be

ok first one up... 5p into impossible dust pony loop

this can be done with 5k as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yIZlflXAs&feature=youtu.be

off a counterhit j.hs

you have to be close to the wall for this one and have to remember that both j.hs and robodash build heat, so this won't work if you are already in lvl 3 heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLyEDOQHmpY&feature=youtu.be

alternative 5p starter (other one is a lot easier)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lO-_PMAJn8&feature=youtu.be

off a throw frc

Edited by M.Song

i got the avermedia live gamer portable today

when i get home i plan on playing around/recording some 80+ heat, high meter combos...

they aren't entirely practical due to the fact that high heat, high meter, and landing a hit don't actually happen very often, but i believe that these are really optimal combos that don't build any additional heat, don't require frcs, and do lots of damage

(pretty much how to get into pony loops off of random standing hits without using frcs)....

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting the vids. I was actually eyeballing the device you purchased. Was thinking about picking one up myself. You pleased with it?

incoming swag/fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLdQszWhy8A

if it has gaku, watch it. fun things to see

Thanks for posting. I particularly liked the air missile, j.s, punch spam headbutt, wallbounce, 2k, Level 3 heat 2s, 6p!

i really think that air dash backwards, missile, falling air dp is silly as fuck. and if it has a frc point on the air version? fucking gimmicks among gimmicks.

the heat management looks so weird to watch though. lots of 6p used, lots of slide, less j.h, less steam...... seems strong once you get it rolling, but the pattern is foreign ><

tho gaku was using the headbutt super to get into heat, and using follow up early to stay in heat, then launch with 2s on following mixup/combo

decisions to be made...

Definitely. Level 3 heat 2s is +1 on block on now. I chuckled when it was blocked the first time, so he just does another one and it connects. He almost got a sick Force Break extension off the subsequent aircombo as well.

Simple stuff such as blocked bazooka vs a cornered opponent, empty jump, TK SRK is exciting as well.

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting the vids. I was actually eyeballing the device you purchased. Was thinking about picking one up myself. You pleased with it?

yeah i really like it so far

unfortunately i don't have a good enough computer, so all i've been doing is PC free mode

wait heat 2s is +1 on block? so you can do shit like 5p, dash 5s©, 2s, command throw/dust/2s? geez. kinda glad robo isnt that popular a character.

side question, any word if air DP has frc point? if so, does using it refresh/keep as is/remove your remaining jump options?

wait heat 2s is +1 on block? so you can do shit like 5p, dash 5s©, 2s, command throw/dust/2s? geez. kinda glad robo isnt that popular a character.

side question, any word if air DP has frc point? if so, does using it refresh/keep as is/remove your remaining jump options?

you have to remember that in 80+ heat, 2s and 2hs build you heat, so its not like you can mash on it

and air dp has an frc with similar properties and looks like the same timing as the ground version

Sign in to follow this