Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

churchblue

BlazBlue: Remix Heart & Variable Heart Discussion

Summary of new characters:

Julian: one of the Hazuki maids. Nothing too important about her, she wears big glasses.

Rin Hazuki: Mai's mum. They look really similar. She's a little airheaded and genuinely thought Bell was Mai's child until she was corrected. Lightly hinted at that she might be way stronger than she actually looks

Houichirou Hazuki: Mai's dad. Was formerly the highest ranked commander in the NOL, and was able to physically repel Azrael by just himself. He values strength above all else and is very tough love with Mai. He sent assassins (i.e Shiori and Chacha) after Mai so she could prove her strength. Super not happy with her losing to Meifang. He's in contact with Kagura so he might be part of the coup.

As a rule, it looks like the Hazuki's really value strength, even on the level on which the Yayoi's value their bloodline.

Her dad has quite unrealistic expectations if he expected his daughter to beat an NOL Colonel, who's probably got years of experience fighting people just as strong as her. Unless he subscribes to the Azrael school of thought in that physical strength's all I need, who needs training.

Which brings me to the next part, I don't know why, but I'm getting the feeling that the whole "was able to physically repel Azrael by just himself" was him being the last man alive of whatever squad he was in and Azrael either decided he had his fill or got bored/disappointed with who he was fighting and in the aftermath for propaganda purposes, the NOL elevated his reputation to 'Hero of Ikaruga' levels.

20 hours ago, Ogiga99 said:

I never really assumed anything about her since her relationship with her father is clearly much more important. Personally I'm more surprised with how much of a badass her faher is.

Mai appeared really isolated as a child and always thought about her father. If she had a loving mother one might have thought that Mai wouldn't have felt as alone as she did before she went to the academy. The fact she was so desperate for her father's affection and approval made it seem like she didn't receive any affection as a child.

The fact that Houichirou was so powerful does help explain why Mai had an inferiority complex towards him and considered it so difficult to earn his respect.

11 hours ago, TenielX said:

Her dad has quite unrealistic expectations if he expected his daughter to beat an NOL Colonel, who's probably got years of experience fighting people just as strong as her. Unless he subscribes to the Azrael school of thought in that physical strength's all I need, who needs training.

I think the fact Houichirou was able to easily take away Gallia Sphyra from Mai shows that he was really strong. So I believe that he really was able to fight off Azrael. He was probably about as powerful as Kagura, who was also able to go toe to toe with Azrael.

By the way, he clearly values training, since he ensured that Mai trained in martial arts, melee combat and the Kirihito assassination techniques since childhood.

Houichirou must truly be a monster if he fought off Azrael. I didn't even think Azrael would be mentioned. I hope we get to see Tager. I really know how he and Mai interact when they fight met. In CF, Mai respects Tager a lot and I think he help her with her training when she join Sector Seven. Mai's hatred of Relius Clover is pretty much equal to Kokonoe's. Hopefully we will see Mai's relation with Relius further in VH.

On 12/06/2017 at 7:03 PM, Kurushii said:

Thanks a lot for the raw.

Mai really lost her temper when her father called her a coward. She's normally very polite, but she can become aggressive when pressured and insulted. The same thing happened with Meifang.

On 6/13/2017 at 11:26 AM, Calamitus said:

Fuzzy was disposed like a used toilet paper. :roboky:

To be fair, we seem to be getting two more Fuzzy's in exchange.

Speaking of Fuzzy, he brings to mind the question of vampires in the BlazBlue world. So far we have seen four vampires (Rachel, Raquel, Clavis and Fuzzy) and all of them seem to have vastly different origins and properties. Rachel's origin is unclear aside from the fact that Clavis made her, Raquel was created from an Embryo, Clavis is an Illusionary Creature created from a wish on the Azure and Fuzzy is part of a series of artificial beings. Both Rachel and Fuzzy cannot be killed by anything but an Immortal Breaker but that immortality seems to come from different sources (Rachel's is due to being an Onlooker, not vampirism) while Clavis and Raquel both have life force values that Naoto can see (Rachel had no number). Vampires in BlazBlue are still such a large mystery and I hope they are explored more in the future (especially if we get to see the story of Rachel's journey to reunite with Ragna post-CF).

Images of the front and back cover of the Variable Heart 2 tankobon + a preview for Chapter 13

DED2RYrVoAA6FW6.png
DED2QjeUAAAl7yB.png

Spoiler

Her mother looks quite well-toned...

One day, the BBverse is gonna get so wrapped up in broken abilities that it'll reach Pokédex Entry levels of absurd. Vision, psh.

16 minutes ago, Chaoschao222 said:

One day, the BBverse is gonna get so wrapped up in broken abilities that it'll reach Pokédex Entry levels of absurd. Vision, psh.

Are you saying we're not already at that point? Phenomenon Intervention, the Power of Order, Immortal Breaker and Time Killer would like a word with you.

But to be fair, it does sound like her versions of the techniques are weaker than the originals. Rin does say her pressure isn't at the level of Houichirou's after all. It's safe to assume her ability has a limit.

This "vision" thing can be fine as long as it can copy only ars magus abilities. I can't picture how she can copy abilities of characters like Kagura, Azrael or even Tao without the same strength, agility, technique or weapon.

10 hours ago, Calamitus said:

This "vision" thing can be fine as long as it can copy only ars magus abilities. 

Shiori said that Vision users are the worst for Arts users, not specifically Ars users. That would imply that Vision can copy other Arts like magic, sorcery, exorcism, etc. which would make Rin really stupidly strong even if it's just imitation.

Taro's strings are basically weapons anyway that he had to thread a few chapters ago. Wouldn't surprise me if Vision could copy something like Kagura's sword. If she can copy Houichirou's pressure, something which isn't likely an Art, then she could probably copy other abilities she comes across as well. 

On 16/06/2017 at 9:27 PM, Ogiga99 said:

(Rachel's is due to being an Onlooker, not vampirism)

Rachel had lost that by the end of CF though. I think that she wasn't dying because of her being a vampire. Her ability to revive after all of Hazama's torture seems pretty similar to the way Fuzzy's regeneration worked.

21 hours ago, VermilionBird said:

Shiori said that Vision users are the worst for Arts users, not specifically Ars users. That would imply that Vision can copy other Arts like magic, sorcery, exorcism, etc. which would make Rin really stupidly strong even if it's just imitation.

Compared to the ability to literally reshape reality that you get from being an Onlooker or being able to shrug off whatever inconveniences you thanks to the Power of Order, I do not think that Vision is particularly powerful. We've only seen Rin copy some pretty mundane abilities by BB standards and she acknowledged that her copies were inferior to the originals. Shiori made it sound like Vision lets its user instantly learn how to perform a technique. This would mean that the person in question would need to be able to perform that technique in the first place before they replicated it. Taro's strings are an application of Ars Magus, which most people can use. And Vision is limited by the ability of its user, which is why Rin is not able to match Houichirou's presence, since she doesn't have the capacity to produce an aura as threatening as his. I think that if Rin used Vision to try and replicate Sorcery for example, then the best she could do would be to create a pale imitation of that specific effect using Ars Magus since she lacks the capacity to actually perform Sorcery. Her ability is versatile but I really doubt it's anywhere close to the truly broken powers that other characters have.

Thank you as always Kurushii!
Looking forward to if there are any differences between the chapters published in Dragon Age and the one in the tankobon.

14 hours ago, Kurushii said:

Thank you very much for all of your download links Kukushi.

On 17/07/2017 at 4:31 AM, Danaiden said:

Thank you as always Kurushii!
Looking forward to if there are any differences between the chapters published in Dragon Age and the one in the tankobon.

The first page in the Dragon Age chapters tends to have some sort of announcement or comment that is removed in the tankobon version. Also I've spotted improvements in certain Remix Heart chapters in the tankobon version. There was one panel in the Dragon Age version where Mai's socks were missing and they added them in for example. The biggest difference in Remix Heart was that in chapter 22 they added two extra pages showing Shiori's inner struggle when she had to choose between fulfilling her mission and assassinating Jin or abandoning her mission and saving Mai.

1 hour ago, Leiopelma said:

By the way, here's the recording of an event that occurred upon the release of the second volume of Variable Heart featuring Mori:

wait was he like, doing a Q&A or something?