Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

churchblue

BlazBlue: Remix Heart & Variable Heart Discussion

http://amatsumugi89.tumblr.com/post/168351298308/variable-heart-chapter-18-the-chapter-begins

I was expecting the manga to end soon but I still feel sad that it's over. It was nice to see that Mai dealt with Meifang herself instead of it being left to someone else such as Jin. I was also glad that Mai reunited with her other friends. I had wondered if they planned to retcon the comment Makoto made in Chronophantasma that she last saw Mai during their graduation, but it looks like it still stands since Mai returned to the academy. Mai said at the start of Variable Heart that she didn't feel like she'd belong to the army, so presumably she exploited her connection with Kajun and meeing with Kokonoe to get into Sector Seven after her graduation instead.

Unless they plan on making more BLAZBLUE games or a spinoff game staring Mai, I can't imagine them making another manga with her as the protagonist. At best she might make a cameo in some light novel, but that will probably be it. You have to remember that these manga were created as advertizing for the games... that is why the stories are so short and instead of giving us plot development they cram into as many cameos and references as possible, the sprinkles it with a lot of battles and fanservice. It is sad really seeing as how there is actually enough material to create a "proper manga" from Mai's storyline alone.

That said, the ending really doesn't match up with what we were shown in Central Fiction. We found out from Mai's friends that she had just disappeared and it was hinted at having taken place before she graduated. But with Mai returning to the academy it really doesn't add up that she would just leave her friends without giving them a proper goodbye. Granted maybe she decided against becoming a NOL soldier because Kajun influenced her or because of what she had seen... but that doesn't make much sense as she could as easily have chosen to work for her father or Kagura. Especially seeing as how she still had a crush on Taro in Central Fiction it seems really odd that she didn't decide to try and work with him instead.

Only real possibility would be if Kokonoe kidnapped her and "convinced" her that it would be better for her to be her secretary... but why would Kokonoe do that? Only thing Mai seem to do for the professor is to occasionally make her coffee and she doesn't even seem very good at even that. So keeping Mai close so that nobody will steal her? Close so that she can keep her under observation? Fine...but that would hardly be necessary as Kokonoe hasn't really cared enough to do that with other people. She have only taken them in and forced them to be her pawns and soldiers if she could actually use them... but she was never shown to really care about what Mai did or didn't do.

So the ending was just bad even if it was visually beautiful.

On 08/01/2018 at 11:19 PM, Monarch said:

In regards to Variable Heart, does anyone know what this was for?

8E545720-AEAC-49CB-A899-16D094193670.jpeg

BlazBlue: Central Fiction Material Collection and Variable Heart advertisement

On 1/7/2018 at 8:32 PM, VelvetHaze said:

Unless they plan on making more BLAZBLUE games or a spinoff game staring Mai, I can't imagine them making another manga with her as the protagonist. At best she might make a cameo in some light novel, but that will probably be it. You have to remember that these manga were created as advertizing for the games... that is why the stories are so short and instead of giving us plot development they cram into as many cameos and references as possible, the sprinkles it with a lot of battles and fanservice. It is sad really seeing as how there is actually enough material to create a "proper manga" from Mai's storyline alone.

That said, the ending really doesn't match up with what we were shown in Central Fiction. We found out from Mai's friends that she had just disappeared and it was hinted at having taken place before she graduated. But with Mai returning to the academy it really doesn't add up that she would just leave her friends without giving them a proper goodbye. Granted maybe she decided against becoming a NOL soldier because Kajun influenced her or because of what she had seen... but that doesn't make much sense as she could as easily have chosen to work for her father or Kagura. Especially seeing as how she still had a crush on Taro in Central Fiction it seems really odd that she didn't decide to try and work with him instead.

Only real possibility would be if Kokonoe kidnapped her and "convinced" her that it would be better for her to be her secretary... but why would Kokonoe do that? Only thing Mai seem to do for the professor is to occasionally make her coffee and she doesn't even seem very good at even that. So keeping Mai close so that nobody will steal her? Close so that she can keep her under observation? Fine...but that would hardly be necessary as Kokonoe hasn't really cared enough to do that with other people. She have only taken them in and forced them to be her pawns and soldiers if she could actually use them... but she was never shown to really care about what Mai did or didn't do.

So the ending was just bad even if it was visually beautiful.

my man...you might be my spirit animal

Here are the covers of the 3rd volume of Variable heart and the BBCF Material Collection. They're coming out on the 9th of March and the 20th of March resppectively. Nice to see that Mai has such a prominent position on the book's cover

BVH VOL3 (Raw) http://www.mediafire.com/file/m3w9mm0s3hmbnnb/Blazblue_Variable_Heart_Volume_3_(Raw).7z

I can't provide the rest of the individual chapters that I missed. The publication put expiration dates on purchasing the old digital issues. Since I was away for too long I didn't get to grab them. Sorry to anyone that wanted to compare them to the volume.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:44 PM, Kurushii said:

Thank you very much for the download link. I take it that the digital version this manga volume does not include the illustration found in the back cover.

A bit of a shame that Variable Heart didn't have an extra chapter like the final volume of Remix Heart did. Something I found interesting is that Mai's zipper has "TBIPFD" written on it in the illustration of Mai in Mori's epilogue. Are they planning on introducing a PFD that's based on Mai?

Something else that was interesting in Mori's epilogue is that he said that Mai's fight isn't over yet and his request to continue supporting Mai in the future, followed by him saying to look forward to Dark War. I guess that Mori is indicating that Mai will be appearing in BBDW. Which makes sense since Mai did get voted as the most popular female character in the recent popularity poll and got 6th place overall.

15 hours ago, Leiopelma said:

I take it that the digital version this manga volume does not include the illustration found in the back cover.

Not included in the digital release.

15 hours ago, Kurushii said:

Not included in the digital release.

Thanks for letting me know.

Here's an illustration of Mai from Sumeragi. Happy birthday Mai!