Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

churchblue

BlazBlue: Remix Heart & Variable Heart Discussion

Despite rumours that Variable Heart might not have been in this months Dragon Age Magazine, due to it not appearing on their website, chapter 3 is fact included.

Jubei appears, and Mai's weapon is a replica of Legacy Weapons. It still counts as a Legacy Weapon though, but it's just not as old as the others.

Also, big thing coming up: The Boundary Interface Prime Field Device Embryo Test Storage 2095. It's a coffin that's on a monorail to Kagutsuchi that Mai and Kajun happen to be on. NOL believe they're there to steal it, so they're about to get in a fight but boom, Jubae bursts in and the chapter ends.

(Got all this from Zedar, and you can find a much more indepth summary by him here.

The revelations in this chapter are certainly interesting. Mai was said to still have her super-taste ability at the conclusion of Remix Heart, so does that mean that the removal of her super-taste ability and the turning of her body into a grimoire happened between the two series? Seems that Team Remix Heart was ultimately successful in curing Mai of her super-taste. (Unless they decided to retcon that the removal of the Azure fragment by Seifer at the end of Remix Heart was what radically altered the nature of Mai's grimoire, but that isn't necessary for the story.)

I wonder what the effects of Mai's new grimoire will be. When Mai had become the Intermediary Grimoire she was able to copy abilities and pass them on to other people. The Grimoire of White Pages sounds somewhat similar since it too apparently is able to store and then manifest abilities.

I will say this ahead of time; Mai being added to the playable roster opens up discussion on how she got to where she is. However, we know very little currently, which means that speculations on this matter with any reliable grounding are few and far between. If you want to talk about Mai in CF, make sure you've got something to stand on, rather than arbitrarily thinking up scenarios.

And of course, there is absolutely no place for gameplay discussion/theorizing for her here.

I ran Mai's personal information from these scans through google translate. Let me know if there is a mistake:

Name: Mai Natsume

Height: 162 cm, Weight: 51 kg, Birthday: April 4, Blood type: A, Hometown: 3rd Hierarchical City of Iwasu.

Hobbies: Strange organism appreciation, Likes: Reptiles (especially chameleons), Dislikes: Sour things.

8 hours ago, Leiopelma said:

Name: Mai Natsume

Height: 162 cm, Weight: 51 kg

Now this is rather interesting. At the start of Remix Heart and throughout, Mai was always depicted as very tall girl compared to the other students, but it seems that stayed pretty much the same height while her friends caught up to her a bit. Her weight though does suggest she has a heavier build than say Makoto, the other girl weighting 2kg less despite being slightly taller. Then we have slender Tsubaki at 49cm... but Noel is the bigger surprise, being only 157cm tall she still weighs almost as much as the other girls despite having such a flat chest.

On 2016-08-09 at 0:40 AM, Leiopelma said:

The revelations in this chapter are certainly interesting. Mai was said to still have her super-taste ability at the conclusion of Remix Heart, so does that mean that the removal of her super-taste ability and the turning of her body into a grimoire happened between the two series? Seems that Team Remix Heart was ultimately successful in curing Mai of her super-taste.

Actually, Mai's supertaste evolved in Remix Heart, but then went back to how it was in the beginning at the end of the manga. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they were referring too.

44 minutes ago, VelvetHaze said:

Now this is rather interesting. At the start of Remix Heart and throughout, Mai was always depicted as very tall girl compared to the other students, but it seems that stayed pretty much the same height while her friends caught up to her a bit. Her weight though does suggest she has a heavier build than say Makoto, the other girl weighting 2kg less despite being slightly taller. Then we have slender Tsubaki at 49cm... but Noel is the bigger surprise, being only 157cm tall she still weighs almost as much as the other girls despite having such a flat chest.

Actually, Mai's supertaste evolved in Remix Heart, but then went back to how it was in the beginning at the end of the manga. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they were referring too.

Not exactly. Mai in Remix Heart was drawn looking shorter than Makoto, who's 163 cm, obviously taller than Noel, who's 157 cm, and about as tall or slightly taller than Tsubaki, who's 160 cm. That made it possible to deduce that Mai was in the 160-162 cm range as far as height goes. Mai was the second tallest among the NOL girls, but that doesn't mean she was very tall. Though considering that the average height for Japanese women is 159 cm, Mai is still above average.

8btHFGf.png

PS: According to Zedar, Kajun said that Mai lost her "super taste power", not her ability to copy and paste abilities.

4 hours ago, Leiopelma said:

According to Zedar, Kajun said that Mai lost her "super taste power", not her ability to copy and paste abilities.

That is the opposite of what we learned Remix heart. Mai gained an ability to copy stuff from such as Noel's cooking and then give it to Tarou etc, but that ability was lost. At the end of Remix Heart the group comments and mention that Mai still has her super taste problem. So maybe Zedar translated it wrong.

I wonder if Mai is still anatomically human in Variable Heart. In Remix Heart we saw that she still had a heart, so I presume that she did, but at the time she was still a fusion of a human and a grimoire. If she has fully become a grimoire in Variable Heart then that may have changed. Hazama is a grimoire and his electrocution sprite shows that he has no skeleton. Izanami also looks human, and presumably had been human at one point, but she looks like a doll. I hope that Mai hasn't been altered to such an extent by the grimoires she has come in contact with, though I guess we'll have to wait until images of her electrocution sprites are released to know what has happened to her.

The first chapter of Variable Heart has been scanlated and can be read here:

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/blazblue-variable-heart-r19721

People have already discussed the contents of the chapter in length. One thing that I noticed hasn't been mentioned is Mai's unwillingness to join the military. It doesn't look like she's interested in it and her father didn't appear to want his child to serve as normal soldier either based on what was said in the Remix Heart epilogue. It looks like that the fact Mai ended up staying out of the NOL actually worked out to her advantage since she avoided that fate.

29 minutes ago, Kurushii said:

Thank you very much for the link.

PS: According to Zedar, Jubei thinks that Mai going berserk is due to her Legacy Weapon. This may well be the case, especially since we saw Jin going berserk due to Yukianesa in Remix Heart. However I'm wondering if there's a connection between what happened and the Murakumo Unit. Mai had felt as if it called to her, so there seems to be a link between it and Mai.

I could just be seeing what I wanna see, but Coffin Girl's eyes and neck lock/bell thing (plus her status as a young, light-haired girl) definitely seem to invoke Platinum. Wonder if that means anything.

Spoiler

0h.png

On 2016-09-09 at 1:58 AM, churchblue said:

We don't much about Platinum's past. The siblings existence is a mystery other than Jubei was raising them.

Well yes, there is as I see it a 99% chance that the girl we just saw in the manga is Platinum. That said, those this mean that Platinum (the body) is actually another Saya clone? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

10 hours ago, IsItWitty said:

Wasn't Plat's body created by Trinity, I doubt she's that girl

No, Trinity's soul was shoved into the weapon that Platinum is using. I don't remember anything about Platinum being created by Trinity.

I thought CF spoilers made it clear that the "Platinum" body was created by Trinity to house her soul, as well as those of Luna and Sena. Coffin Girl probably isn't the "Platinum" body, but there's no reason she couldn't be the "original" Luna. (Or even Sena, I guess)

Second chapter of Variable Heart has been translated.

9 hours ago, ComboFish said:

I thought CF spoilers made it clear that the "Platinum" body was created by Trinity to house her soul, as well as those of Luna and Sena. Coffin Girl probably isn't the "Platinum" body, but there's no reason she couldn't be the "original" Luna. (Or even Sena, I guess)

The big problem with this being Platinum is that it ignores the issue of Luna and Sena supposedly being two different people from Act 2. If this is one where is the other?

tumblr_od9yyjAuWY1ucv9buo4_1280.png

Also in regards to the eyes being similar. The image shown was of Platinum in "Trinity Mode." Whenever it is Luna or Sena she has heart eyes. If that girl was Platinum that would mean Trinity was in control but if that's the case where's Muchorin where Trinity's soul stays most of the time? I don't think she can really be separated from it.

21 minutes ago, Ogiga99 said:

The big problem with this being Platinum is that it ignores the issue of Luna and Sena supposedly being two different people from Act 2. If this is one where is the other?

Well yeah, that's basically what I was saying. Assuming any of this is correct to begin with, Coffin Girl is Luna (or Sena), Sena is somewhere else (maybe in another coffin, or perhaps he had nothing to do with Luna), Trinity is busy doing whatever she was doing at the time, and "Platinum" doesn't exist yet. And I realize the eye thing was a stretch, it's just something I noticed at the time.

Of course, since this is BlazBlue, I fully expect to be entirely wrong and for Coffin Girl to be another Saya clone, a Grimoire taken human form, a brand new character whom they shove into the story and pretend is important, or the Hype Dog wearing a disguise.