Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Tsubaki Self Improvement and Critique Thread

Looks like I really need to rework how I play neutral.  Thanks for the tips guys.

http://youtu.be/W7VPWP7gKxU

I'd greatly appreciate any advice. I'm having trouble winning a round against Tager :S. The resets really kill me.

Try not teching his odd gimmick that sets you up for his airbuster reset. This way his airbuster will become "purple" and thus techable, then if he tries to airbuster you again you can mash him out with j.a or something fast because his airbuster has no invul

Try not teching his odd gimmick that sets you up for his airbuster reset. This way his airbuster will become "purple" and thus techable, then if he tries to airbuster you again you can mash him out with j.a or something fast because his airbuster has no invul

Ooooo thanks, ill give it a go!

I was also told if i push a/b/c air-backdash or double jump, it can avoid it! :)

Blackwing:

2C is usually a less favoured option against Tager when he high jumps because he could use j.2C. Running under or going for an air grab is a better option. You also used j.CC > 5A pressure against Tager and while it worked note that he can opt to 360 you in between that pressure. Even using j.CC is risky. I think you could try to confirm your j.C attacks into 5C rather than 5B since it leads to better damage and you could burn the 1 stock to get 3k+ in the corner. When using [4]6D > 236D if you hit with the projectile first rather than the combined attack 6C followup won't work because of the projectile's small untechable time (in case you wondered why it didn't work. It can work at other times but maybe I don't fully understand this yet).

When you have 2 charge you seem to burn it on [4]6D > 236D and I generally don't think that's a good option unless Tager has committed to some sort of attack. I think you should save 'em and use the time to get more charge. When you're under pressure you don't have any charge to rely on so DP'ing is even more of a risk. I think you should play the 5B poking game against Tager more rather than trying to open him up with Tsubaki's poor mixup because most of those will lose to a 360/720.

When the player used the OD MTW, you should've opted for a stronger punish such as 3C FC rather than throw.

I know there may be times where you have to but try to avoid jumping when you're magnetised. Atomic collider and his pull are even more annoying to deal with in the air. Concentrate on backdashing and 5D taps. 5B poke game is still ok when you're magged but avoid anything else.

Blackwing:

2C is usually a less favoured option against Tager when he high jumps because he could use j.2C. Running under or going for an air grab is a better option. You also used j.CC > 5A pressure against Tager and while it worked note that he can opt to 360 you in between that pressure. Even using j.CC is risky. I think you could try to confirm your j.C attacks into 5C rather than 5B since it leads to better damage and you could burn the 1 stock to get 3k+. When using [4]6D > 236D if you hit with the projectile first rather than the combined attack 6C followup won't work because of the projectile's small untechable time (in case you wondered why it didn't work).

When you have 2 charge you seem to burn it on [4]6D > 236D and I generally don't think that's a good option unless Tager hasn't committed to some sort of attack. I think you should save 'em and use the time to get more. When you're under pressure you don't have any charge to rely on so DP'ing is even more of a risk. I think you should play the 5B poking game against Tager more rather than trying to open him up with Tsubaki's poor mixup because most of those will lose to a 360/720.

When the player used the OD MTW, you should've opted for a stronger punish such as 3C FC rather than throw.

I know there may be times where you have to but try to avoid jumping when you're magnetised. Atomic collider and his pull are even more annoying to deal with in the air. Concentrate on backdashing and 5D taps. 5B poke game is still ok when you're magged but avoid anything else.

Thanks Kiba, this was very constructive. 

I thought i dropped that combo ([4]6D > 236D>6C) from timing lol.

I have alot of trouble dealing with pressure :S.

This post has help alot, cheers!

Badlime didn't look like he had a lot of trouble controlling the match with Izayoi. You should aim to use j.236A when you're lower to the ground because you'll make it more difficult for the opponennt to get to you. As you are in landing recovery he caught you a few times. I also feel you should have saved the meter sometimes in neutral rather than going for blade super because Izayoi doesn't have anything threatening enough to induce you to use it. There also seems to be quite a few questionable 236X/3C use (236X being the main culprit since you got hit out of that a lot). There isn't a reason for you to use that in this matchup really. You can afford to take your time and gain some charge in this matchup. j.D > air dash works well against her sonic sabres in neutral and further slows down her game. You could throw out some 421A to further slow her down (either by challenging it with sonic sabre, going aerial, or blocking it)

I'm not sure what I can say about the match against Hazama. I don't play this matchup enough.

My two cents on the Hazama matchup is that you're jumping way too much; You never really tried any form of ground approach, and you did a lot of wild hopping around which he was able to anti-air.   The thing about Hazama is that he does have to commit to chains, and you have to play the matchup a little like Nu, where you have to vary your approach vectors or he'll just stuff you with an appropriately aimed chain.   Hazama only really starts to get super painful when he decides to run away, and you weren't able to get in enough to make him even worry about that.  So. Vary your approach.  Don't be scared to dash forwards sometimes, or maybe even 236C/D from appropriate distance with meter/charge.  Even if you get hit by a chain, if you get hit by a -close- chain, there's not really anything he can do with it, and you'll have closed some distance.

Thanks guys, I've applied what you said to the Hazama/Izayoi matchups and I'm having a better time.

Now I need some help with the Mu matchup, maneuvering past the steins are proving trouble for me. Or perhaps I'm just being too passive?

http://youtu.be/0q34bm2U8eE

Whoa I just realized that you're that one really good Tsubaki that I have fought on a few occasions. I should look at profile information more often.

For Mu, though I fight them rarely, I just try the super jump barrier strategy while being wary of air grabs. That's what I have been told to do by a few people I have asked. Still at a loss for what I do when I get in, though because of her amazing normals and DP. It is always going to be really hard to navigate the screen smartly with steins in your face.

I haven't watched the entire video, but I sortof agree with chzchan - you seemed to be jumping a LOT and honestly, that's not to your advantage in this matchup.  Mu's air to air options destroy Tsubaki's, and her 2C is a formidable anti air.   The only times you want to jump at her, really are: A) IADing over a poorly placed orb B) trying to jump over a 5C to make it whiff C) The occasional jump-in barrier to see how your opponent deals with 2C getting blocked.   You did a bunch of 6C stuff which really didn't work out for you, and you flew into a lot of AAs.

Also,Mu has a really strong backdash, so you need to do what you can - ideally, once you have meter - to call it out hard.  This means gatlings into 3C, or random 236B or 236C (ideally with charge) or just charge cancel -> Dash 5B.  Otherwise, Mu can pretty much run away from your pressure for free.

Okay I actually have some footage for once, so here you go. You now get to see how truly terrible I am.

My fight with a Jin is from 31:30 - 39:00.

He barely plays BlazBlue with his main games being older ones like Vampire Savior and Melty Blood.

I didn't punish his whiffed 2D ever and I even knew that I didn't throughout the match, but for some reason I kept not punishing it. Tried to 22B every projectile for some reason. Used 22D after 214B as whiff ender for I don't know why. Kept using j.214A in neutral for, again, I have no reason why. Astral timing was just a bit too late.

My fight with a Carl is from 43:30 - 53:30.

A very good Carl/Arakune that has been playing since CT that I fight online quite often. His name is Zong One. He didn't have his controls bound correctly during the first match, but he only noticed after I had beat him in the first round of the first match. He told me he didn't want to complain because he didn't want to be a scumbag for doing so after he had already lost a round. As you could see, he did a much better job in the latter two matches. I felt bad about not remembering to do a button check before starting the game. Such a nice guy.

j.214A in neutral needs to stop. Don't know how to deal with sandwich pressure confidently and my defense is terrible. A lot of stuff I could have confirmed off of if I wasn't hammering buttons. Dropped a ton of combos and forgot Carl-specific routes. A lot more I did wrong that I have probably not noticed.

The hungry skeleton on the left in the Jin video and the right in the Carl video is me and I think you can probably tell that it is only my second tournament. I was pretty nervous the whole time, and the problem is that not only do I drop combos and not learn from my mistakes over and over again when I get nervous, I also end up doing stupid shit that I would have never even done outside of the fight. I also completely forget that certain combos are character specific as well. This is just after watching myself play a few times. The funny thing is that this tournament was fairly small just like the last one with the group that I usually play with locally being the ones that made up a good chunk of the people who showed up, so I don't know why I still get nervous. I'm going to keep going to them so hopefully the nervousness fades away.

I already know a lot of the things I did wrong and the things I did wrong I did REALLY wrong, but I probably won't fix them consciously unless someone points them out to me besides me. Help me out if you can.

You're generally quite passive, and you don't seem to have a solid gameplan. Things just kinda seem all over the place, as I don't really understand why you do certain things at times. You're also using j.236A way too close to Jin, he should be punishing you on descent. Pretty sure 5B > 22D > AH doesn't work.

You do autopilot 5B > 6A a lot, need to vary it a little. I think your pressure isn't very effective at times too. Like, you'll do 5CC > charge cancel, and they'll be a huge gap before you resume pressure. Imagine, they have an easier time to mash at that point. You're rushing in a lot against Carl, you should take your time. Hang back, charge, if the doll commits to anything, use a fireball or 5B her and IAD away. You should watch Kuresu to see how he plays against Carl.

Nope I don't or at least I didn't there. My gameplan is sort of this jumbled mess and I'm not sure what to do still as whole. I know at least what I should be attempting to do, but it just isn't happening. 5B > 22D > Astral is something I had been practicing in training mode for a while. Might be dependent on character or placement on the screen though. It definitely works midscreen if you 5B close enough. I also feel like I didn't do the link fast enough.

There should have been a lot more punishing going on for both sides. My pressure being garbage is still a huge problem that I haven't solved because it seems like I'm not able to cycle through the different types of pressure cleanly which makes me sort of choke when doing things individually without autopiloting. This is emphasized even moreso when I let the nervousness get to me.

I just completely blanked on what I was supposed to be doing in the matchup and did my best to get out of the sandwich. It isn't that I haven't been studying up on the videos. Things just don't seem to transition well when I want to apply them, but that's my problem.

About the 6A autopiloting without much pressure cycling. See, just from fighting with my friends every day they know to mash when they see me do anything they know is unsafe, so I am really discouraged from doing Tsubaki pressure correctly. I just need to get used to cycling through pressure live without much fear (depedning on the matchup of course). I just can't do it cleanly yet because I hesitate and revert back to the simple button mashing mid only pressure with the occasional 6A.

You seem to be throwing out a lot of random specials - j.214X, j.236A at bad times, even some ground 236X at very close range. Pressure needs work, but could be worse. Your movement is all over the place, seems kinda random. Also, not enough DPs in the Carl matchup. :P

I was actually talking to the guy a lot because I kept messing up my DP input when he would use his command dash. He told me that low attacks beat it, so I tried doing that but it barely worked.

It is really erratic. From talking to the Carl afterward, I only really got as far as I did because he barely fights Tsubaki players. Probably one of the reasons he Counter Assaulted out of my shitty midscreen j.236A gimmick.

I really don't know why I was doing all those j.214As in neutral. I wasn't doing tk.236A correctly ever and I was doing it too close to the enemy and at a bunch of times I really should not have. I just did a lot of unsafe and reckless stuff and I don't know why.

I'm confused, why would you be trying to DP Carl out of Vivace? Yes, Carl is a character that you really want to use meaty 2A/2B/3C on, or he can just Vivace out of the corner for free if you do another meaty. If you do nothing and he does Vivace, you can either throw him out of it, or try to punish him during the recovery.

You are doing dumb stuff in neutral because you haven't played enough to be comfortable doing the RIGHT stuff. You just need more matches; In the meantime, try to hold onto ONE idea for each match ("Don't do neutral j.214A!") and consider it a win if you do what you're trying to do.

Ah I'm talking more about sandwich pressure when he uses vivace.

I'll keep trying. I already play online a few hours per day every day, but I guess since I don't have that idea you mentioned I haven't been learning anything even though I want to. I'll try for another couple thousand but this time with a clear goal in mind. I need to find more people to play with locally.

Ah I'm talking more about sandwich pressure when he uses vivace.

I'll keep trying. I already play online a few hours per day every day, but I guess since I don't have that idea you mentioned I haven't been learning anything even though I want to. I'll try for another couple thousand but this time with a clear goal in mind. I need to find more people to play with locally.

Oh; If he's doing crossup mixup on you, DPing probably won't even work, because you'll whiff on his invuln frames (assuming he's using B Vivace. I don't know Carl well enough to tell you.  Maybe they use the A version in pressure.) so you probably just want to block and possibly DP him AFTERWARDS.

Keeping a goal in mind is key if you're trying to improve on something.  It doesn't matter if you're playing online or off, if you're trying to fix a specific issue, you need to be able to hold on to awareness of that issue, and if you're like me, you can only really focus on one thing at once.  And that's one very specific thing, so more like "Do more 5B > 6B in pressure" rather than "Pressure better."

If it's done well, you can't DP, it's blockstring.

Carl's players complain alot about DPs, and I can't explain why. Maybe i'm doing it wrong but I found out that DPing Carl is extremely difficult, and tbh you don't really want to do it, he has tons of way to make it whiff. Block until you get 50 meter and guard cancel somewhere. It's the "safest" route.

Carl ain't S tier for nothing.

If they are complaining about DPs, it means that they have to give up something to use any of those "tons of ways to make it whiff";  I suspect most Carl players either don't know how, don't do it reliably, or there's some other issue in play.

I am a firm believer that you need to DP sometimes so that your opponent understands that you will.  Otherwise, they're free to pretend you don't have it and blow you up.

If it's done well, you can't DP, it's blockstring.

Carl's players complain alot about DPs, and I can't explain why. Maybe i'm doing it wrong but I found out that DPing Carl is extremely difficult, and tbh you don't really want to do it, he has tons of way to make it whiff. Block until you get 50 meter and guard cancel somewhere. It's the "safest" route.

Carl ain't S tier for nothing.

Yeah, I actually did do that for a bit. Once I saw that I was in the sandwich, I Counter Assaulted the hell out of there. I also did the same for when his back was to the corner with the doll behind me. It only sort of worked out because wakeup Vivace got him out. Actually I tihnk I just didn't time the meaty correctly. I don't know.

Yeah, I actually did do that for a bit. Once I saw that I was in the sandwich, I Counter Assaulted the hell out of there. I also did the same for when his back was to the corner with the doll behind me. It only sort of worked out because wakeup Vivace got him out. Actually I tihnk I just didn't time the meaty correctly. I don't know.

What meaty did you do? B Vivace is frame 1 invulnerable to Body and Head attacks, so lots of stuff just won't hit him.