Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fistmaster049

Ragna the Bloodedge Q&A and FAQ

In response to the following post by RichyGaming:-

I usually wouldn't post a thread like this since I don't even main Ragna. But I love playing with him for fun with buddies because his moves are pretty cool so I try to make flashy combos.

After looking at a few CMVs and resources to improve my Ragna, I tried applying them to him in training mode but some things just don't go right. No matter how much I experiment the timing, I just can't dash twice, do a basic attack like 5c after the dashing, or anything like that after 22c. Another problem I have is trying to do OD carnage scissors after OD dead spike or even make it in time to do anything for that matter. So just what am I missing? In general, I'm just having trouble with the dash canceling.

Regarding 22C (DC) > dash 5C: Unfortunately, there is no real trick to it. You have to Dash Cancel as soon as 22C hits, and then start dashing again as soon as you recover from the Dash Cancel. Doing 5C immediately after dashing will not work mid-screen, you have to be dashing for some time before throwing out the 5C. It's a bit difficult to gauge visibly just because it's hard to determine whilst in motion when the momentum of the dash will bring you close enough for 5C's hitbox to connect, plus there is some variation between characters. I recommend that you try it out on a multitude of characters until you get a feel for it.

As for landing Carnage Scissors after (OD) Dead Spike, if you're referring to landing (OD) Dead Spike as an air hit mid-screen, the issue is simply speed. Fortunately, depending on the how you land it, the Dash Cancel is often not required. For example: After landing an air hit 6B, (OD) Dead Spike > Carnage Scissors is possible thanks to the additional hitstun and launch height provided by (OD) Dead Spike's three hits. If you get less than three hits, that's where problems can arise. This is also why (OD) Dead Spike is rarely performed right in the corner, as you need a bit of distance for all three hits to connect before the projectile leaves the screen. While you can combo off a single hit of (OD) Dead Spike deep in the corner, all of Ragna's more damaging options require all three hits.

As it just so happens, one of the listed changes for Ragna in the new arcade update prevents (OD) Dead Spike from travelling off-screen, preventing such issues.

So I've been using 2D to end a lot of my mid screen meterless combos, at first I thought it was an alright idea as I could do things like catch forward tech rolls or be a decent way to get a knock down but I'm starting to wonder if its just better to just to push my opponent away with hell's fang cause I'm getting the impression that ending with 2D doesn't give Ragna a whole lot to do. I guess the questions I want to ask are, is 2D good to use the way I mentioned or is 2D better placed for things like RC into extended combos and to use as a counter poke on some occasions?

it loses to backward roll, no argument. with that said, it's not particularly bad to use in the corner, but you have better oki options anyways so there's really no point using it.

with hell's fang ender, you may not have the best oki, but you're at least pushing the opponent to the corner. as long as you run to the opponent after the move, you can still stay on the opponent. with 2D, you can lose all your momentum if you try and guess a forward roll, but the opponent rolls backwards.

5C can catch backrolls if you're close enough, so it's good against people who like to do it all the time. But then, at that range, you can also go for 5B> 6A if you're that close, so...

Ragna's patch notes.... there are 2 notable changes I can think of- Belial edge Utech time reduced by a bit (approx. 35 frames untech time now) and gauntlet Hades will not miss in the corner or go over opponents anymore. So nothing really got changed, other then gauntlet hades is a (slightly) more viable overhead, and you cannot use belial edge as late in combos (which sucks, but not the end of the world) overall he is pretty much the same, and some would say he is better, I would say just a little bit

ragna also got increased negative penalty resistance and BK dead spike being able to land all hits in the corner. they're not big changes honestly.

all in all ragna is exactly the same character

ragna also got increased negative penalty resistance and BK dead spike being able to land all hits in the corner. they're not big changes honestly.

all in all ragna is exactly the same character

Yeah they are mostly fixes 

My first reaction to the change list was honestly "Is that it?"

Still waiting on that command grab Arc  :arg:

Other than that ragna got I think the most reasonable changes

I guess, but we could have at least gotten an overhead that isn't arse tier tho

That is KINDA what they did for GH haha. Ragna with real good mixup would be scary though ahah

I'd like some advice on landing dash 5B after air blood scythe.

It always seem such a long shot and I never got it to land.

What are some common junctures where I could have gone wrong ?

Ether Blood scythe is too slow or your imputing the micro dash too slow 

These are the usual causes but sometimes it depends what leads into it e.g. how high the opponent is

Are there ways to set up fatal counters with BS or at least ways to fatal counter with it?

There are no consistent setups but it can be used to fly over some projectiles and it's also pretty useful against Noel's 4D (Noel players love to reversal this move).

Other than that, it's usefulness as a fatal counter is pretty limited.

Hi, I need help with the input timing of 22C after 5D in this corner combo: stuff>DID>5B>5D>22C. Either my 22C appears too late or it doesn't even come out.

Hi, I need help with the input timing of 22C after 5D in this corner combo: stuff>DID>5B>5D>22C. Either my 22C appears too late or it doesn't even come out.

Did you knock the opponent down prior to 5D? In order to combo into 22C, you have to do certain moves to "enable" it, like 3C, 6B air hit, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Did you knock the opponent down prior to 5D? In order to combo into 22C, you have to do certain moves to "enable" it, like 3C, 6B air hit, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh! That's a weird requirement. Thanks!

This may belong in another forum since it's so general but how the hell do you deal with zoners as Ragna?  No matter how much I improve whenever there's a zoner on the screen my mind goes blank and I end up getting played like a marionette on a string.    :vbang: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZGNYQHcwo#t=18

How does this guy connect ground BS after GH in 0:17 combo?

Jump Cancel Cancel on Spin Kick into Bloodscythe.

This may belong in another forum since it's so general but how the hell do you deal with zoners as Ragna? No matter how much I improve whenever there's a zoner on the screen my mind goes blank and I end up getting played like a marionette on a string. :vbang:

The first thing you did wrong was stop thinking. Ragna doesnt have the best matchups and especially against zoners, he has to think intelligently to find a gap to get closer. Some examples are super jumping, dash barrier, trying 5B, 2B, 5C when in range, super jump C, j.a. all of these are just some normal ways to get in. Ragna doesnt have fireball-esque moves (deadspike has limited distance, is slow) so you have to be patient. Be okay with that