Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

SNK Playmore going 3d

Your title is misleading. SNK first "went 3D" in 1997, with the Hyper Neo Geo 64. They've had other 3D games like the Maximum Impact series, that godawful PS2 Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown Sen on newer hardware since.

LOL, you know what i mean.

They are planing that their next fg entries will use 3d models but the gameplay will remain 2d like SF4, MVC3 and GGXrd

LOL, you know what i mean.

They are planing that their next fg entries will use 3d models but the gameplay will remain 2d like SF4, MVC3 and GGXrd

Just let you guys know that SNK-Playmore owns all of their characters that are made for KOF including the Maximum Impact characters so they can use them!

here's are the info so far!

0009773766.jpg

- According to next.rikunabi.com the next KOF is coming to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the game.

- Many overseas staffs from America, France, South Korea, and China also participated in the project.

- 3D Technology will be used instead of 2D Sprites to create the Next-Generation of KOF.

- The developers are working very hard about how they will represent the 2D image in 3D !!

- The game seems is planned for PS3 and XBOX 360.

Development Staff - Pictures !

0009773770.jpg

Mr. Yamamoto, the overseas producer of the project.

0009773769.jpg

Overseas staff from America, France, South Korea, and China also participated in the project.

0009773768.jpg

Game development floor. And enough space in preparation for increasing the number of development staff. 

Source : http://next.rikunabi.com/company/cmi2037615001/nx1_rq0009773615/?fr=cp_s00700&list_disp_no=6

Source : http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com

Here is what Professor translated...

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13411.shtml#64522

Well let's see, to point out the main highlights.. aside from what was previously posted on their official site, the job listing also recruits for

- Experienced Network engineers

C/C++, Protocol connection

(Programmers that can write realtime communication TCP/UDP code)

Which is great. But also to put it in other words, If they're looking for net coding staff now, that casts a shadow over rumors of better netcode with the rumored steam version.

Oh boy, and their introduction sentences are seriously ironic.

"With social network games and casual games bloating the market, we at SNKPlaymore hope to bring the joy of fighting games to people around the world as an established brand.

Our Samurai Shodown series is currently at its 20th anniversary, and our KOF series will be celecrating its 20th anniversary as well next year.

We are recruiting development staffs for our huge project: the creation of next-generation titles for our two most popular series."

And the ending sentences reads

"We have just started on our projects under the slogans of "The ultimate 3D KOF" and "The ultimate Samurai Shodown", and we will take our time to develop the games. Our results are still far away, but we are confident that you will feel a great accomplishment when the game is complete. Let us work together to create this project that fans all over the world are waiting for."

They've also replaced their US branch president. I guess someone needed to feel the consequences after the Tommo Neo Geo X disaster.

Maybe they'll resume the PS3 Neo-Geo Station releases? Those are some EXCELLENT ports.

Ah, but I loved KoF XIII's spritework... Apparently it did take forever and half to make them though.

I'm really going to miss sprites come the future of fighting games...

It looks like the only sprite game left will be CP. Unless they take the GGXrd route in the future which will probably happen.

Maybe we'll get a CvS3 on PS4 with that "Hadouken Cabs" thing and all... I doubt it.

"The ultimate Samurai Shodown"

That's all I wanted to hear. :yaaay:

Same here. But after SEN/Edge of Destiny, especially, I definitely need more proof that they'll actually live up to that term. SS deserved much better than having the likes of SS3 and SEN be associated with it.

Same here. But after SEN/Edge of Destiny, especially, I definitely need more proof that they'll actually live up to that term. SS deserved much better than having the likes of SS3 and SEN be associated with it.

Yeah, but we just want to hope if this new SS game comes to pass, it better have QCF's and DP's (pretty much standard special and super move inputs) back, not just a SC clone with nerfed move sets. >_>

But we shall wait and see how SNK-P will handle the new 3D-Gen, stuff...

Whatever they do with 3D graphics better look goddamn pretty. I may just die on the inside if I see SS or KOF in a shit-tier SF4 art style.

Ah, but I loved KoF XIII's spritework... Apparently it did take forever and half to make them though.

Same here. Honestly, given how much work went into those beautiful sprites, I'm surprised they'd only use them for one single game (KOF XII doesn't count). At the very least, I figured we'd get one more 2D title—maybe two if they managed to create enough characters to justify another dream match entry.

There are still enough 2D fighters being released that I can't say we're witnessing the death of sprites just yet, but it is a little disheartening to see more and more of the big companies going 3D with their classic franchises.

Keeping the XII/XIII sprites wasn't viable in the long run. People expect every fighter to have huge rosters nowadays, and sprites at that level of quality are incredibly time and resource-consuming to draw. XIII brought back some fan favorites like Mai, but they still had to leave out plenty of popular characters due to time constraints. SNKP also had to pull in tons of outside studios to get the job, and there's a lot of headswap characters like Joe/Hwa and Ash/Saiki to make things easier.

Annd I'm one of the few people who actually liked SamSho Sen, but I still would have preferred a 2.5D game.

Keeping the XII/XIII sprites wasn't viable in the long run. People expect every fighter to have huge rosters nowadays, and sprites at that level of quality are incredibly time and resource-consuming to draw. XIII brought back some fan favorites like Mai, but they still had to leave out plenty of popular characters due to time constraints. SNKP also had to pull in tons of outside studios to get the job, and there's a lot of headswap characters like Joe/Hwa and Ash/Saiki to make things easier.

Pretty much. The next games SNKP puts out have to be part of a viable business model that will both allow SNKP to a) form a foundation that could stand to be expanded on for the next few years and b) shorten the lag time between releases. 16-17 months to make ONE KOFXII/XIII character, according to a quote by Producer Masaaki Kukino? Yeah...something had to give.

Annd I'm one of the few people who actually liked SamSho Sen, but I still would have preferred a 2.5D game.

Given that they are rotoscoping in XIII, which is know to be time consuming and costly. Yeah, I can understand the point of wanting to move to 3D.

Frankly, I think that it would be a shame that SNK seems to want abandon making 2D games from this point on... art is something that I am willing to wait for.

More like Capcpoms footsteps...

Which "footstep" are you referring to?

Street Fighter 4 and MvC3.

I was hoping you'd say Street Fighter EX, in which you'd be right. As for current gen consoles (X360/PS3), Arcsys was the first to go 3D with Battle Fantasia. SF4 came out some time afterward.

Also, I liked Samsho Sen. I felt the game needed only a few changes, mainly inputs should be a bit more "friendly". Doing juggles felt like every move done was just frame after just frame, when all that was done was a simple 6A,B > 5A~236C for instance. Another developer would've been a better choice, but that's for another discussion.

Perhaps SNK could make games in the style Sega's "The Rumble Fish" was made with. Dimps developed the game, and I thought it looked decent. Part 2 was even better imo--- it was way more polished...

Is funny how some people are unaware that without Battle Fantasia there is a chance that SF4 didn't happen.

As for The Rumble Fish, is not 3d, the games use sprites that are made like paper marionattes, think something like current flash animations where every limb of the sprite is a separate object.

I know TRF isn't true 3d, but it still gave off that 3d feel-- to me at least.

You're right about Battle Fantasia though...

Is King of Combat 3d??? If so, I think Tencent might have inspired SNK to go 3d, seeing how King of Combat is doing relatively well, and both Terry and Benimaru translated pretty well also.

Erh... I would't be excited about this SNK 3D shit. It's like they're behind the times in that aspect.

Just looks at how shitty the KOF MI and MI2 models were. Heck, in the first case, even the models for the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur looked A LOT BETTER.

The ones they're showing now in that picture are... erh... no, just no.

I know TRF isn't true 3d, but it still gave off that 3d feel-- to me at least.

You're right about Battle Fantasia though...

Is King of Combat 3d??? If so, I think Tencent might have inspired SNK to go 3d, seeing how King of Combat is doing relatively well, and both Terry and Benimaru translated pretty well also.

King of Combat uses a rare combination of 3d and 2d, they use the 3d's for making all the frames of the animation, but in essence they work as sprites since, like donkey kong country