Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tari

[CP] Rachel International Videos + Critiques

NOTE: Do not use this thread for CPEX discussion! Use the CPEX thread for that!

BBCP_Header_Critique_Thread.png

This thread is for posting stuff from non-JPN players or stuff from users here. Videos can be posted to show progress, some general match up tips, or just to be flashy.

Rules

1) All criticism is to be constructive.

2) If you post a video and ask for criticism, it will be given. Please do not get butthurt.

For CSE video discussion, please see the CSE critique thread.

uhh... not sure if this is the right place since the thread was started in 2010, but it says CP so I guess its the right place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=youtu.be

Critique my friend's Rachel, he needs some help from peeps who actually play his character lol.

uhh... not sure if this is the right place since the thread was started in 2010, but it says CP so I guess its the right place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=youtu.be

Critique my friend's Rachel, he needs some help from peeps who actually play his character lol.

I was considering remaking the thread for CP, but we've been using the same thread for these critiques since CS2, so I left it. If people want a new thread, that's all fine by me, too.

As far as the videos go, I checked out the first match. I don't really want to critique too much because I haven't played Rachel very much in CP yet (planning on rectifying this soon), but it seems like your friend could benefit from learning to end his midscreen combos in knockdown and oki. There's also some neutral game that he seems to be learning, but not quite fully grasped yet. Things like when to summon and when to fire which lobelias, etc. For one, summoning a frog in neutral (even at full screen, though in this case he wasn't that far away) before having other things out is really risky. Don't use a frog to cover summoning a pumpkin, instead, use a pumpkin to cover summoning the frog.

Learning to hitconfirm and apply mixup is pretty important as well, but I think neutral game should probably take priority over it. Mixup and hitconfirming is useless if you can't touch the opponent.

We have a very handy guide that helps explain how to use Rachel's tools effectively, if he isn't sure about how to do it yet.

I'll leave more detailed critique to the other folks for now.

Gonna break some things down, Tari already summed the most important points up. But let me repeat that one thing he said: Golden rule in almost if not all match-ups: Pumpkin over Frog. Even a fullscreen Frog is rather unsafe if the opponent is over aggressive and rushes in. I'm not too sure about Bullet without a running dash, but even when summoning frog is safe, you still have a big problem if they are closing the gap without you having pumpkin out. You can't really rely on George here. One grab, no matter if teched or not, and George is gone. Now in the same situation with pumpkin, you can just wind pumpkin in their face and maybe even go for a mix-up. Backing up at this point to get more stuff on the screen is fine too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=player_detailpage#t=59 -> Don't resummon pumpkin if you already have one on the screen, especially not with 2 hits left on it. At this point you could've either summoned George or B lotus with the pole near Bullet. B lotus shuts down air movement very effectively. Now for the pumpkin before you resummoned it, you had a big advantage in terms of neutral in this case. Bullet's air approach would've been easily stuffed with 4D, ground approach with 1D. A little bit further in the video where she jumps at you and you get CH'd, a winded pumpkin (8D or 9D here) is very strong, even would've netted you a CH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=player_detailpage#t=117 -> With a pole around, you can do 5B > 5C > 214C. This stuff isn't included in the combo video thread, but I'm working on it. When you hit j.B and went into j.214C, it didn't combo. Next time go for j.B j.C j.214C (land) BBL into oki (not sure if you can do (land) 5CC 214B 3C 214A in this case)

The 3rd round was a result of you not neutral teching (just hold a button without any directions). You gave him double heat up (dunno how it's called), which gave Luna a very strong momentum, finishing you off very quickly. I know it's tempting trying to delay tech and rolling, but most people aren't doing it for a reason, and I think this is a very good example of why neutral teching is so important.

2nd match:

Same as the 3rd round of the 1st match, but with less impact. Been seeing j.B > j.214C several times now. One thing you could do is buffering the j.C into j.B, so it automatically comes out if you hit your foe, allowing you to combo into sword iris.

Also, ending strings with 3C ends your pressure, as it is -1 now. Luna could've just mashed 2A to poke you out of any normal you pressed there (even 2C! :P). I suppose the air frog summon when you combo'd was an accident, so I'm not gonna say anything about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=player_detailpage#t=272 Combos with max range 6B can be followed up with 3CD or j.3BD on standing opponents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOlCK6L07g&feature=player_detailpage#t=523 Pay attention to your wind gauge whenever you engage. With only one wind, Rachel isn't that scary up close. You could've either went for high/low mix-up with a very bad combo or a rather predictable mix-up ("Oh, this guy only has 1 wind stock, I bet he wants to leave that for combos, so I don't need to worry about the IOH!").

After watching 3 matches, here is what I've got:

-Lobelia usage/directions: Most of the time you shooted 2 or 3 Lobelias at one single place instead of placing them all over the screen. While Lobelias are nice to prevent the opponent from getting in, you also have to think about pole positioning. 3 Poles over 1/2 screen away won't help you much once they are past that, but one a bit further from you and another one 1/2 screen away is already very good for making them think twice about getting in. I don't know how long you've been playing though, and maybe you were just used to the CS/CT Lobelia arcs. It took me quite a while to get adjusted to the new arcs as well. :)

• George summons: Just saying it again. In like 90% of the time, you want to summon George with pumpkin support to make it safe.

• Anti-air usage: Anti airing is a very important aspect of Rachel's zoning! If you don't show them approaching via air is a very risky option, they can just get in for free. 6A is a fantastic AA tool, so try using it more often. You don't even have to be scared about long range normals like Ragna's j.C. 6A doesn't have head invul, but a head guard point, letting us win/trade much more ground to air battles than other characters.

• Pumpkin: Very important as well. You used it as an offensive tool most of the time. In several cases Luna jumped at you while you summoned something with pumpkin around. Instead of getting CH'd, just wind pumpkin in his direction to make him pay for disrespecting it. Pumpkin usage is, in my opinion, the thing anyone should learn first because it is clearly her best tool. And always look if pumpkin is still around. Resummoning pumpkin is a waste of ressources (there are obviously cases where it's fine, i.e. only one hit left or very far away from the screen where you need to burn at least 2 wind to make it useful), in the time you resummoned pumpkin you could've summoned george, more poles, or B lotus.

• Teching: Neutral tech in 99% of the time! You are giving your opponents free damage otherwise. And since the game is about reducing someone's health to zero, preventing any kind of damage is what you should opt to. I'd rather eat a mix-up than a free combo leading into the same mix-up again. There are simply no benefits for trying to tech roll, especially not when you are cornered. Kokonoe is a very good example here, she can catch you with 2B into a ... strong combo. And by strong I mean 4~5k. Nobody wants to eat that much damage just because they teched wrong, right?

Hopefully this didn't sound too rude, I'm usually not the best at critiquing, but I hope I helped you anyways.

It was pointed out to me that CP is a very different game compared to CS2/CSE, so it makes sense to make a new thread. So here's a new thread, with the CP posts merged into it. I'll leave the CSE thread out of the archives for now, since we probably still have a decent number of players on that version of the game.

Apologies for any confusion!

Tari. Thanks for the guide. I honestly didnt even know it was there.

Sakaku. Thanks for the critique and advice. I really need to concentrate on my mistakes a little more. Alot of the things I do are due to old school CS happens that I found that worked for me (late techs especially). Alot of the rolls are mistakes (playing too much P4A). Also need to get into the habit of summoning pumpkin first.

There are alot of things I need to work on. So I appreciate the criticism and support And will use what was said to enrich my game.

Thanks doods!

RESURRECTION

Learning Rachel, had a fun set with another Rachel online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75G6SI1rTWw

It went pretty back and forth overall, I learned a lot by the end. All i wanted was to rush him down but this guy was not having it. Hope you like timeouts, I think we had at least 10.

Things I've already taken away

- I was SUPER lazy/stupid with j.2C. I like to think I used it better as time went on but there were some shameful ones in this set >.>

- I would lose matches trying to transition from zoning to rushdown. I think I was able to capitalize on some hits, but he stuck to a gameplan and took advantage when I'd get ahead of myself and start running in after a full screen pumpkin/lobelia hit.

- I would shoot lobelia's and forget about them waaaaaaay too often. I rewatched the vid and was almost screaming at myself to activate the poles.

- I don't use the pumpkin enough.

- L2PUNISH YOU SCRUB!!!!

It was a definitely a learning experience and I was adapting a lot better the longer the set went on. (He forced me to be patient) Hopefully I'll remember to use more options and not drop so many opportunities with experience.

Question: I noticed in one of the matches that wasnt recorded that 5B > j.3D2C would bait and punish Rachel's own counter assault, I used it a few times in the later matches. But does anyone know if that works on any other characters? I mean I'm sure she has ways but it'd be nice to start with a juicy j.2C

I don't have an answer to your question, but just a few things I noticed that you hadn't mentioned:

1. You were doing 236B and winding it with 5/6D when trying to hit with a lobelia full screen.  IMO, 236A with 9D (you can TK this) is a much better option most times as it's overall harder to avoid.

2. In general, use her 236A more.  It places a rod by you for zoning and that as well as the lobelia itself can be a great deterrent for rushdown.

3. In your pressure, you weren't really using 5B > IOH j.A.  It's pretty essential, so make sure to use it fairly often if you have the wind for it.  Also, use 5B > 2B > 5B etc. more often as well.

4.  Off a mid-screen level 2 j.2C confirm, microdash (or just dash) 6A > 4B > (insert rest of combo here) if they're low enough to the ground.  If not, jump and j.C for combo.

I think that's all I have for now.  Hope I could help ^_^

Outside of combo drops (I'm aware of those), would love some critique on this video of me from the recent BlueBouts tournament.  I will say that I think a small part of my play was nerves, so I perhaps wasn't totally on point, but I'd still like the critiques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyKAY-OQlWg

Have you tried clicking the switch on the top left of the post editor and then trying to add the link in?

I need to find ways to record my matches.

It's late and I'm going to sleep but the one thing I can tell you right away is that you're not doing the instant overhead properly (at least in the first match). You're doing something like jump>2D>j.A, which is slower and causes you to hit on your way down from the jump instead of getting an actual rising j.A. For one, it's slower, and two, it doesn't allow you to add a j.B in there for the fuzzy guard/low or helping with the followup combo's timing (see 3:00, you could have lost the corner advantage there). 

Try inputting j.2DA (jump > 2D+A) instead. Once you think you have it down, set the dummy to block all and do something like (5B > j.2AD j.B > dj.B j.A j.C > (microdash)) x 4 until you can do it while sleeping.

I do have more things to say regarding the first game but I'll be pretty busy tomorrow, ugh...

Anyway, zzzzzzz

Once you think you have it down, set the dummy to block all and do something like (5B > j.2AD j.B > dj.B j.A j.C > (microdash)) x 4 until you can do it while sleeping.

omg love this so much lol.  such pressure.

I'd say hold of on using Wind so much, reason why you're probably using it so much is due to the urge to using it after summoning pumpkin. That habit should die young, try take your time to set up while full screen, in this mash up
Opponent approaching
Pumpkin > A/B Lobelia or George > Wind pumpkin to stall them
Opponent hanging back
Pumpkin > George > A Lobelia. It'll dead any Ice Shard he sends at you.

I won't say "you use too many lobelias.", but be smart with them
Is there two poles set between you and the opponent, close and far from Rachel? Yes, then set up Pumpkin/George. Use Pumpkin/Iris to stall them.

Time for the Harsh words xD

I know a lot of what I did wrong and I've been kicking my own head in watching these, but I'd rather hear it from you guys than myself. (I don't need to hear statements like "I'm ok" or "I'm fine". I need proper telling off) I'm a complete disaster and I'm ashamed to say I run the video threads lol.

I haven't played for a couple of months but it's painful to watch I must warn you (everything went out the window) D:

AR + PT (LoliLoverX) Vs RC

RC Vs CA (Kouffi)

JN + RG (Zero443) Vs RC

Many thanks to ExOnestar for recording these games for not just me, but everyone on the day. (First time I've been recorded playing since those abysmal CS2 videos lol)