Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

BBCP_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Ask any game play related questions about Hakumen here.

Also people who are answering questions posted should quote the entire question.

If you're new to Hakumen read this!

How do I do Hakumen's basic BNB (Starter > 623AA > jc > falling j.2C > 2C > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > 5B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C)?

Common problems / Solutions:
1. You keep missing the first j.2C > 5A.
- You have to hit with j.2C as late as possible and then hit with 2C as late as possible to make this part easier or you can replace j.2C > 2C with j.2C > 5B which makes the rest of the combo much easier at the cost of ~200 DMG.

2. They tech at j.B > j.2A near the end.
- This will happen if your starter is a non-CH level 4 move or if you took too long to get to the 623AA (ie. j2C > 2B > 623AA). Easiest way to fix this is to do 5B instead of 2C at the start or just do 5A > j.B > j2A at the end without doing the 5B.  So it turns out you can still get this combo to work off a level 4 starter > 623AA.  Either you have to do j.2C > 2C as soon as possible which makes the follwoing j.2C > 5A harder or the j.B > j.2A at the end just has to be done quickly.  I'm not 100% sure yet.

Who does j.2A > j.C work on in the corner?

Without fatal counter Ragna, Jin, Litchi, Relius, Hazama, Bullet, Tager, Terumi, Azrael, and Amane.
With fatal counter Hakumen, Mu, Relius, Makoto, Hazama, Kagura, Bullet, Ragna, Litchi, Tager, Terumi, Azrael, Amane, Jin, Arakune, Tsubaki, Valk, Bang and Nu.

How many j.2C > 5A reps can you get off *?

It depends on how fast you can get into the loop. For example if you do 3C > RC > 2C you can get 3 reps of j.2C > 5A, but if you do 3C CH > 2C you only get 2 loops even though it's the same combo and the same starter. The proration of starters do not matter only the type of starter(S, N, etc.) and how long you take to do the combo. Edited by Spark

Quick question: After someone hits 5d or 2d, how long is the window for pressing A to get FC enma to come out? Do you press it once or hold it? Can you do it on reaction or do you have to have already decided whether to use enma or the regular counter before the move hits?

Quick question: After someone hits 5d or 2d, how long is the window for pressing A to get FC enma to come out? Do you press it once or hold it? Can you do it on reaction or do you have to have already decided whether to use enma or the regular counter before the move hits?

I just hold A after pressing D before the counter even catches anything. You don't have enough time to decide if you want enma or not after the counter catches. Though if they do a really slow move and you're catching with 5D you have enough time to tell if you should go for the enma version or not.

it's definitely worth considering when choosing whether or not to enma the slight risk involved in using it, since it is possible to be CH out of the enma part. in most situations it is pretty safe-ish (and also the reward usually outweighs that risk,) but if you're not sure it can be better to just stick with a plain D without the A since the former is invulnerable while the latter is not.

beyond that you pretty much have to commit one way or the other as spark said

Edited by dioxideUniversa

What are good ways to punish tech rolling mid screen after knockdowns like 3C or 6B? I've had moments where someone manages to tech roll through Hakumen's 2B and I'm not sure why that happens. I also had moments where they try to tech roll away from me and 2B does catch them and I do 5A but they're somehow out of reach of j.B so I can't follow it up.

What are good ways to punish tech rolling mid screen after knockdowns like 3C or 6B? I've had moments where someone manages to tech roll through Hakumen's 2B and I'm not sure why that happens. I also had moments where they try to tech roll away from me and 2B does catch them and I do 5A but they're somehow out of reach of j.B so I can't follow it up.

If they decide to roll backwards you can't really stop them without just winging it and doing 214A or calling it out with 41236C. If they roll towards you and go through 2B it just means you did it too late, 2B has a lot of active frames now so as long as it's out they shouldn't be able to roll it since forward roll is 3F(I think?) invincible. If you catch them with 2B you can go into 5A > j.2A > j.2C > 5A for a few loops. For some characters you might have to do 5A > 5B to push them up higher.

Hello everybody, newbie here.

What to do when you wake up, I mean when getting up I always have to guess if my opponent is gonna try to kill me with high or low or throw... so is there any options that is good to avoid all sometimes

There are option selects for throws iirc, but other than that you just have to predict and\or react. The basic rule is that you block low and react to overheads, though. You can also use Haku's Drive if you KNOW something that is not a throw is coming, but that is always risky and only Yukikaze is useful against overheads this time around.

When you're getting up, block low and don't press anything. Watch your opponent. If he hits low, you block it. If he uses an overhead, you can react quick enough, with practice, to block high. If he throws, you can reject it if you're quick enough. Block until you seen an opening to escape by jumping and barrier blocking, or by throwing out a counterattack - usually 2a or 3c if you are feeling lucky.

When he is getting up, time a 2b or a 2a to meet him the split second that he recovers. With hakumen you don't have a lot of moves to hit your opponent while he's blocking, so you have to be smart and try to throw out a move when he thinks it's safe to escape. This move is sometimes 2b, 3c, or gurren (214A). If you notice he mashes buttons after he gets up, hit him with a 3c and learn to combo from that.

Hope that helps. These are general guidelines but they don't take dragon punches, command grabs, or other things into account. Try to get inside our opponent's head and recognize what he likes to do and when.

Watch videos in the video thread. All the hakumen players in those know what they're doing and you can learn almost all the basics of how to play by watching what they do.

ok, then what to do when my opponent is getting up then

I just generally throw out a 6B because people tend to block low when waking up, and if you get CH you get a free combo. Other options include: 66 Tsubaki, 66 Hotaru, or the aforementioned 2A or 2B.

I just generally throw out a 6B because people tend to block low when waking up, and if you get CH you get a free combo. Other options include: 66 Tsubaki, 66 Hotaru, or the aforementioned 2A or 2B.

6B is fine for an occasional mixup but not good advice for a newer player since it's -4 with no option to repeat pressure if they block it.

Hey I'm new to blazblue in general, I grabbed BBCP last week. I'm just gonna watch this thread

since you are a newer poster, generally posts that do not bring content to the table aren't usually well-received on character subforums. normally you should just forego introduction posts and simply join in whatever discussion as is relevant.

feel free to ask any questions, but simply posting that you are going to be reading the thread is not necessary.

Depends on your opponent's char. I try to block until there's a chance to counter/hit/backthrow/superjump~airdash out of it. Once cornered you must be patient.

Edit: And don't hesitate to use a counter assault or a burst if possible. Better wasting 4 Magatama or a burst than the match.

Edited by entnervt

Gotcha... Is there any go to moves for like reversal DP that's not Yukikaze? I find myself getting stuck in amane drills and etc after I get knocked down...

you can use normal Ds on those as well as they are fully invulnerable, but beyond that there is not really an option. keep in mind hakumen's parries make him one of the few characters equipped to deal with that since it's a safe option for amane and even if they could DP out of it he could just punish them for it

How does Hakumen "open people up?"

I'm trying to learn the big guy, but his moves are all slow. I have a pretty good idea how to convert once I do land a hit, but what are some openings/normals I should be going for?

That involves proper spacing so that your opponent can't mash buttons to get you away from them.

It's important to know the frame data for his normals as well as their special properties.

Like for instance, 6b has always been a great tool for keeping people form mashing especially in CP where you can combo off a CH 6B. The reason that 6b is great for people trying to mash out of your pressure is because it has lower body invincibility. Meaning that it'll beat 2a's and 2b's, coupled with the fact that it's an overhead. A lot fo people assume Hakumen is only gonna go for a grab, but throwing that in, even if it doesn't lead to a CH, you can still have them on edge.

Other ways of opening them up is with Agito, preferably 66>Agito since it's I think 0 on block, it allows you to pressure more once you land, or you combo off of Agito if they decided to mash buttons.

I'm sure someone can add more detail to this post. But those are just some of the ways, along with tick thorws, once you condition them to be afraid of 6b.

writeup inc

there isn't a simple answer to this question as obviously pressure is not one of Hakumen's strong suits, and as of CP they've chopped up his pressure tools' frame data even more than they already were.

there are two basic things you need to accomplish while pressuring the opponent:

1: get them to respect your pressure. As stated, Hakumen does not have the tools other characters have for creating solid pressure, at least not without spending meter. simply put, if your opponent is mashing or jumping out of any gap they can find, then you need to establish that you are going to punish them for these tactics. there are a number of responses for various actions the opponent might take:

• mashing out. if they are mashing between gaps in your pressure with jabs or other moves, you can respond to these tactics with frame traps, hotaru, or parries. The latter is the least safe option out of the three, since if you read them incorrectly and they do not mash out, not only does your pressure end but they can hurt you very badly due to the long CH state. frame traps are the safest option, but Hakumen has probably the least ease of access to it in this version than any other (thought I haven't played CT much) due to several of his pressure tools now being -frames (6A, 2B being the main ones.) that said, if you want to frametrap, you are going to have to look at special cancels. moves like 2B that a good opponent is aware are -frames may be a good place to attempt this, as special cancelling takes the frame advantage out of the picture. Hotaru is also more difficult to use at this point than in previous versions due to its vertical height being increased. a lot of senior players have been reporting it is more difficult to use in this regard, but doing it after a hop (detailed later) may work in some situations that the opponent is mashing out of pressure, but keep in mind that it takes a minimum of 6 frames for Hotaru to go invulnerable out of a hop assuming you input it perfectly.
  • DPing is a pretty basic concept, and if you suspect they're going to DP you need to be able to make an educated guess where and try to block it. Hotaru will beat a lot of DPs, but keep the aforementioned hitbox changes in this version in mind. You can also use parries on DPs if they have enough meter to RC it, which typically will beat that strategy, but there may be some difference in CP compared to old versions due to the fact that the attack portion of parries are now blockable.
  • backdashing. Gurren has always been a great answer to this, but Enma works as well and has a higher reward. I haven't experimented with this lately, but Gurren is the cheaper alternative, and possibly the more reliable one. Enma generally is going to turn more damage.
  • jumping out. You can respond to this by attempting to air throw them or using air unblockables. 5a, 5c, 2c, 6a, and sometimes 5b are all good options for this. If they barrier block, you should be able to do a delayed Gurren as they are falling to continue pressure without them breaking out, especially if you used a high-level normal like 5c or 2c (and conversely not so much with a lower-level normal like 5a.)
  • Counter assaulting and bursting are strong but expensive options for the opponent, and there's not a lot of responses for them. baiting them, similar to DPs, will usually get you a free combo, but understand that they are often used mid-blockstun, making them harder for you to bait without certain cancels (Kishuu and parries, or even jumping if they are using their CA or burst on a JCable move like 5b) or rapid cancelling your own pressure.

Know how to identify what options your opponent has to escape pressure are unsafe so you can line up appropriate punishes; it is a shame to punish a DP with something like a jab when you could get a 6c fatal combo out of it.

2. the other aspect is obviously mixing them up. typically you can do this with high/low or strike/throw; the latter isn't as strong in CP as it was in previous versions due to the universal throw range nerf.

due to changes in CP, these tactics are not quite as effective as they were in previous versions, but generally hakumen's hops are his strongest mixup tools. you can do a number of things from a hop based on what you think your opponent will do:

• Hop Tsubaki if you think they will not block high. This can't be followed up without the additional two stars for Hotaru. This is one of the easiest places to snag a huge OD combo, and a lot of opponents will panic burst in response, which can make performing non-OD combos out of this unrealistic if they have a burst.
    • Hop Hotaru if they are disrespecting your pressure. This is the option that was possibly hurt most in CP, as many users have been reporting it whiffs a lot in CP compared to previous versions due to the way Hakumen floats upwards now. Unfortunately, this method of mixup is difficult to enforce if you are unable to punish mashing with Hotaru. It would then require the opponent to really be respecting your pressure in that case.
    • Hop Renka if you think they will react to your hop and block high. If I am correct, the earliest you can get a Renka out is 11 + 9 frames (frame at which hop stops being airborne + renka startup.) This is a few frames slower than Tsubaki so could be a little to a lot riskier depending on if you input it perfectly / whether or not it is actually possible to input Renka on frame 11, and someone more familiar with the nuances of how the frame data works like Spark may need to verify this.
    • Hop throw is another option for this mixup, but again is one of the slower and less safe options. This was also a much stronger mixup prior to CP due to Throw Reject Miss, which works far less well due to the aforementioned throw range nerf. If you can get a 2a > Throw to actually connect, you can use this to switch quickly to a strike/throw type mixup.

there's also other various forms of pressure that don't involve hops like jump-ins (generally weak ish due to Hakumen's slow / floaty jump,) ground mixups (renka and zantetsu; to get mileage off these you have to be pretty creative sometimes due to zantetsu's 21 frame startup, which is also very pronounced/projected.) in previous versions you could do IAD Hotaru for a crossup, but Agito actually makes this a lot easier and a lot more ambiguous due to how Haku continues to move during the startup of the move. getting a CH will lead to a combo. stagger pressure (such as delayed 2as) can be effective, but only if they are not disrespecting your pressure too much.

there's other possible ways to open an opponent up but is hopefully some basic information / this post is already too long blah blah.

as a disclaimer, someone else with more hands-on with CP may want to make some comments/corrections to any information presented here as it is pretty unpolished

6b

... will also convert to a decent combo on RC non-CH, which is more plausible in CP due to his excessive meter gain.

Edited by dioxideUniversa

Greetings, Let me first start off by saying I'm not only new to this website, I'm also new to this game in general so bare with me. I'm originally a tekken player that's taking a little bit of time away from that game and I figured I'd give CP a try seeing as I like the game and want to make if my second competitive fighter

The reason why I settled on Hakumen is because I focus strongly on defensive play and making it hurt when people get too careless and Hakumen suits me 100%. So my first question is this... What's his basic gameplan besides waiting to hear "COUNTER" or FATAL and destroying dreams. Is he a defensive poke character with big punishes like Jack in tekken or is he more of a solid character that just does crazy damage? Also, can anyone direct me to a possible tutorial video? I'm almost off my break and don't have the time right this second to search online for one. Thanks Guys

Edited by La Peste