Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

About 66 > Agito anyone with a 6F or faster 5A can always jab you out of any normal follow ups.

Can you j.D after 66 > Agito to catch them? I'm not even sure if that works as I haven't tried it yet.

Is is a good idea to end your combos with j.C in the corner? Because it ends up leaving them really high up in the air and idk what Hakumen can do to keep them in the corner with them ADing out.

Always go for Agito knockdown when possible. If you have no stars, j.C is a good option as it at least sticks them there for a short while.

Hmm... actually, thinking about it, maybe it would be better to do purple throw if you have no stars to reset the situation. If they don't break, it's a knockdown. If they do, then you j.C and you're both at the same height so their options are more limited.

This needs testing.

What exactly does Agito knockdown gives you? after Agito, Hakumen falls too quickly to do any normals, except A. And my opponent always gets up before I touch the ground so they can do things before me

So what do you guys do after Agito?

Agito is better after you do it from a higher height, rather than a hop. That gives you time to do j.B.

Agito is better after you do it from a higher height, rather than a hop. That gives you time to do j.B.

Like mAc said, an Agito from a higher height is generally more practical and gives you enough time to do a jB.

Hop Agitos are only good as cheap scare tactics when people don't expect them (since they come out really fast), or, if you're timing it really well, doing fancy cross-ups against blocking opponents.

The j.C can whiff on some characters if you don't super jump, if you're just doing j.2C > j.214A it shouldn't make a difference.

Hey all, you may or may not recognize me, but I wanted to say I'm not really new, I've just been dodging in and out about Hakumen info for awhile; and since CP is around two months away now I've been looking into it a bit more and trying to shake off the rust. Plus a friend of mine and his gf chipped in to buy me a real nice fight stick, a Q4 I believe. So if you guys have advice or a good source of learning about how to use fight sticks well, lemme know.

But anyways I've been trying to map out how Hakumen plays now. From what I've seen of pros now, and what the very little I've seen you guys discuss, it looks like Hakumen has a much more capable offense now. His usual corner carry combo that has been with him since CT has now been replaced with a loop of some kind. Still carries them, but not as well. His OD combos look crazy, and are a great way to seal a victory if given the right opportunity, which can be as simple as a damn grab.

I also remember his counters taking a(nother) hit in terms of usefulness when info was being revealed during loketests. Like 6D losing 1 frame activation, which is messed up. I think someone here said fighting Litchi is really going to hurt in that respect. And I got a friend who loves using her and uses her well, so I'm sure that'll be fun for me -_-

Just wanted to know what you guys who have been paying attention to him the whole time think about him, and where he's at in the game. I hear he's one of the top tier characters, but then that was a few months ago.

He's certainly different, though still the Hakumen we all know and love to play. Mileage will vary, however.

Compared to EX, I would say top dmg is up, though average dmg is down. Much more about burst dmg than before as opposed to an efficient use of stars to maximize dmg and corner carry. Slightly harder to lands hits due to nerfed options as well, though this is compensated by his dmg. Defence nerfed due to Hotaru and counter changes. No, he's not more flexible than EX. Offence was buffed (especially meter gain) and combo paths are more diverse, however, which may contribute to that idea.

Overall, close game is nerfed, mid/neutral is buffed, and far game is buffed. Correlated to the previous, defence and options are nerfed, and offence buffed. So his buffs are mostly dmg-related and his nerfs are to his options, making him a less flexible character slightly more reliant on capitalizing on the hits he does land.

Fortunately, he has OD, so capitalizing on hits shouldn't be tough, eh?

Interesting...I guess all it comes down to is actually getting my hands on him. His OD at the very least looks entertaining. It'll also be new for me, because it's practically a Haku-install (outside of Mugen which was mostly useless of course), which I'm not used to playing a character that legitimately use one.

Here's a relly vague noob question: Any suggestions for incorporating ~simple OD stuff into Hakumen gameplay? I've got a few BnB combos down at a reasonable success rate so the sensible next step would be to strike some true terror into my opponents :D

To be more specific, might there be some Gurren->OD stuff to get started for example?

I'do suggest u try those corner Back grab & Air Grab OD cancel, as it's easier to confirm on real match, if from Gurren crouch confirm...

Gurren(crouch confirm)> OD > 5c > zan(1) > CT > 5c > 2c > shippu > kishu > 6c > 5c > 3c would work.

Alright I have some questions for you Hakumen vets. I've been using 5A alot for anti airing and have had some pretty good success with it by being able to convert it into a small combo. I know 5B and 2C can be used in a similar manner but is 6A the only one that upper body invisibility for anti airing? And my second question is when would a TK hotaru be used for anti airing or just in general? I got the TK hotaru basic bnb down but never found myself using it in a match.

1. You can try Enma to catch jumping / roll out, Enma & Kishu also has Upper body invul.

2. When u can read a big move coming, when the opponent mess up meaty oki & telegraphed overhead ... You can treat it similar to Jin / Makoto Dp.

I got one more question to ask cause I forgot to ask it earlier. I know that Enma can be used after a drive, do I have to hold A down or do something different? I sometimes got it by mashing A but I wanna know for sure what the correct way is.