Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

The Hakumen in this set of Taokaka matches consistently managed to do a Throw > Fully-charged Shippu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_pn5Lf6KxQ&t=20m29s

Is this just a gimmick, or is there really nothing certain characters can do against this?

EDIT: A few more examples in this Tager fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmi36B2MqvU&t=21m19s

Edited by Soviet Bear

Throw stagger only lasts 45F + 8F(?) of stagger recovery and fully charged shippu is 89F start up so they have 36ish frames to hit you or get out of the way.

What should I be doing with Hakumen on block? Usually what I try to do is end with Gurren and then command dash and either 6B or throw, but it seems really transparent.

You shouldn't really use Gurren in blockstrings unless you're trying to frame trap with it. You don't have to just go for a mix up after Kishuu you can just start 2Aing and restart pressure. Also if they expect a throw you can do Kishuu walk forward a little bit, backdash, and 3C CH their their throw whiff. If they use throw OS just do walk forward 2A > chain into throw to TRM them.

Guys so ive been playing for about 3 weeks i csn do the loop maybe 40% of the time but im having major problems when i land CH 2B/5C > renka > enma > loops like i land it 5% of the time fell like i have less time to land the j.2C after j.2A. I thought CH would make it easier any tips?

Edited by Chachaman

Wait are you doing Renka > Kishuu > 2C or Renka > Kishuu > Enma cause you shouldn't do the latter cause that's not the right combo.

Was typing form my phone so my post might not have made sense lol. Ok so the combo im trying to do is:

Counter hit 2B > Renka(1) > Kishuu > 2C > j.2A > jc > J.2C > 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > 5B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C

Or

Counter hit 5C > Renka(1) > Kishuu > 2C > j.2A > jc > J.2C > 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > 5B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C

So im trying to go into the loop off of a counter hit 2B or 5C in footies , and I seem to keep dropping it during the j.2C during the first 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C portion but on a non counter hit im a lot more consistently.

I don’t know if it just me scrubbing out because I don’t have the muscle memory yet or if there is a trick to make the timing easier.

Was typing form my phone so my post might not have made sense lol. Ok so the combo im trying to do is:

Counter hit 2B > Renka(1) > Kishuu > 2C > j.2A > jc > J.2C > 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > 5B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C

Or

Counter hit 5C > Renka(1) > Kishuu > 2C > j.2A > jc > J.2C > 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C > 5A > 5B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C

So im trying to go into the loop off of a counter hit 2B or 5C in footies , and I seem to keep dropping it during the j.2C during the first 5A > j.2A > jc > j.2C portion but on a non counter hit im a lot more consistently.

I don’t know if it just me scrubbing out because I don’t have the muscle memory yet or if there is a trick to make the timing easier.

The combo decays after the first loop so you have to do the second J.2C a slight bit faster than the initial one to connect.

Keep practicing, Hakumen's BnB loop is actually really difficult.

Try delaying the J.2a after the 2C, OR

Make sure you are jump cancelling the j.2A immediately. If you jump cancel it late it will mess up the combo. First frame jump cancel is ideal - input j.2a and immediately hold "9" or up/forwards before the j.2a even comes out to cancel it on the first frame.

Good luck

Edited by Moblin

First frame jump cancel is ideal - input j.2a and immediately hold "9" or up/forwards before the j.2a even comes out to cancel it on the first frame.

Good luck

Holding 9 beforehand doesn't work for me, ever. The hardest part for me personally is to wait for the j.2A to hit and then input 9. According to yout instructions I might be doing something wrong?

If the hardest part for you is the link between j.2A and j.2C, with the double-jump cancel, it is probably in there.

What you said about the j.2A might be your difficulty. If you double jump late, hakumen won't be able to hit the landing 5A even if you hit the following j.2C.

Basically:

Waiting for the j.2A to hit and then inputting 9 is probably too late. You need to have the 9 input buffered as you hit them with j.2A.

after that it's just a matter of getting the timing down on the j.2C.

edit: oops, I didn't even realize you're not the same person that asked the question. If waiting to hit the j.2A gives you a good, consistent BnB performance then it doesn't matter what the optimal way is. But if you're not consistent at this part of the combo, it might be the j.2A > jc that is the weak link.

Edited by Moblin

So I've notice that delaying the 2C otg and slightly delaying the j.2A after 2C > j.2A has been making my loops off of a counter hit a lot more consistent it like before i was trying to rush the combo. Thx for the help guys.

If you happen to get a hit with 3C what do you do when they're knocked down? I have a habit of doing dash up > 2B but that either lets them tech roll right past me. Should I just do 3C > 2B/5C > something instead?

Assuming you're talking about normal hit 3c, you have to condition them to neutral tech first before you can hop closer to them on 3c knockdown.

If they like to tech roll past you, just 2b after 3c and you'll get a BnB loop for about 2k and another knockdown every time.

It gets trickier if they decide to tech roll away, but 2b --> airdash in on them as they tech is good.

2b hitconfirm on roll away is really hard.

But if they do it every time, predict it with Gurren. Gurren will hit them every time and you can confirm that gurren > kishuu > 5c for big damage or 2c for loop.

Hakumen doesn't have that many big roll punishes.

You can 2B or 5C if they try to roll behind you. If they try to roll away then you pretty much have nothing except 2b into air throw or doing some mind reading. I used to always catch them with 6C when I got a real good read.

Maybe 5C would work too depending how close they are...

I just leave my opponent alone at times after scoring a 3C. You don't always have to chase them down when we have a reasonable enough neutral game. I will sometimes wait to see what they do without trying to catch them for their decision. Instead of trying to punish a roll/tech/delay tech, I just set up the proper spacing to take advantage of neutral based on what they do after the 3C.

I have a suggestion. When people are kind enough to make tutorial videos for example the BnB loop, could you do it in challenge mode?

The button sounds would be EXTREMELY helpful for some.

Probaly a dumb question, but i need to know How to do Astral wake up reversal with Hakumen?

Hold 2 while you tech to charge the astral, then press 8D as Hakumen's feet hit the ground and pray that your enemy presses a button.

No it's too risky to do so, you're better off doing wake up Yukikaze if anything, wasting all 8 stars on a guess leaves you too vulnerable especially since Akumetsu doesn't catch projectiles/puppets. That's the purpose of Yukikaze in CP not at least, since wake up Zanshin is dangerous and not a guaranteed reversal anymore.

Hold 2 while you tech to charge the astral, then press 8D as Hakumen's feet hit the ground and pray that your enemy presses a button.

If i hold 2, i'll do quick getup that didn't have any invul, it's very rarely this wouldn't end up as otg reset.

@BladeOfJustice7 : what do you mean wake up zanshin isn't guaranteed reversal anymore? blockable catch?

edit : i read raziul post wrong... that split second when i tech is enough to charge astral?