Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

Hi guys, i need some advice please. i cant connect J2c > 5c after zan(1) > kishuu > 2c > hotaru > IAD J2C > 5c mid screen. they always seem to fly too high after hotaru or my j2c will whiff sometimes, what am i doing wrong?

2nd question: how come sometimes i do TK tsubaki > hotaru > IAD j2c mid screen i end up infront of them and they side switch?

Delay your airdash after hotaru to get them to be lower when you do j.2C.

Same with the second question if you air dash as soon as possible they'll end up behind you after doing j.2C > 5C.

Delay your airdash after hotaru to get them to be lower when you do j.2C.

Same with the second question if you air dash as soon as possible they'll end up behind you after doing j.2C > 5C.

Thank you!

Hey there I have a question about something I've observed watching some Japanese Hakumen play. Was wondering why some super jump during the last jump loop of a combo, is it part of some setup and what do you get out of it?

Hey there I have a question about something I've observed watching some Japanese Hakumen play. Was wondering why some super jump during the last jump loop of a combo, is it part of some setup and what do you get out of it?

It's a safe jump option if you use j.2C while falling; if the opponent late techs, they get caught by it. If they DP, you have enough frames to block after the j.2C, only thing it doesn't really work on are backrolls midscreen.

Yo, I'm a new Hakumen player and so far it's been pretty fun. Trying to get a grasp of the general Hakumen gameplan, but so far just playing on online has been great. 

Are there any bad beginner Hakumen tendencies I should know of? When I first started playing  I mostly did  braindead airdash j.2C, but fortunately I don't do this anymore, Right now, I feel that I rarely use 2B and 5B just to name a few, but I think that's more me not knowing how to play Hakumen's neutral game. So I guess I also wanna know what to do in the neutral game.

Yeah, there are some habits every new Hakumen player has to break:

1) Mashing counter as a panic button.

2) Using C attacks and only C attacks. (His As and Bs are great too.)

3) Jumping around 24/7.

All of those things have their place but not when you abuse them.

Yeah the jumping problem is one I definitely have. I just fought this Hakumen mirror and I lost a lot lmao. The main problem is that I'm really confused on what to do in the neutral, and mashing. How should I approach with Hakumen in general?

Well you have long-ranged normals for a reason, use them.

Hakumen is mainly about controlling space with added defensive options, your primary gameplan is to build enough meter for your specials and go from there. Generally speaking, you want at least 2-3 stars to get a combo off. Get in using moves like Kishuu, Gurren, or even IAD at times.

Treat him like a Street Fighter character.

It's also easier at first to learn what NOT to do. Watch replays and ask for advice, and chisel out your mistakes one by one. (For instance, rolling excessively while in the corner.)

The space around Hakumen is your territory. Don't just let them waltz into it, make them work for it. They should be beat up getting near you.

Hang back until you knock them down or get a lot of stars, then go in to push your advantage.

Also don't be afraid to block. Blocking is great; you're not "losing" if you're blocking. Every situation has an option that's good to deal with a particular problem and blocking is the right answer in a lot of those.

Well you have long-ranged normals for a reason, use them.

Hakumen is mainly about controlling space with added defensive options, your primary gameplan is to build enough meter for your specials and go from there. Generally speaking, you want at least 2-3 stars to get a combo off. Get in using moves like Kishuu, Gurren, or even IAD at times.

Treat him like a Street Fighter character.

It's also easier at first to learn what NOT to do. Watch replays and ask for advice, and chisel out your mistakes one by one. (For instance, rolling excessively while in the corner.)

The space around Hakumen is your territory. Don't just let them waltz into it, make them work for it. They should be beat up getting near you.

Hang back until you knock them down or get a lot of stars, then go in to push your advantage.

Also don't be afraid to block. Blocking is great; you're not "losing" if you're blocking. Every situation has an option that's good to deal with a particular problem and blocking is the right answer in a lot of those.

The one about treating him like a Street Fighter character clicks with me nicely.

I've been playing more matches with a new mindset (thinking of spacing and more defensive, like you guys said), and have been having slightly more success. I say slightly because throughout the whole time I was questioning how to play Hakumen, I also realized that I do not know how to play Blazblue lol. 

Anyways, I'll probably post some matches in the future for critique, but nevertheless you guys helped me a lot. Thanks.

jump startup 3f, jd startup: 1f

frame 4 catch.

5d startup: 5f

frame 5 catch.

its 1 frame faster. Not really worth it. except that it gives you a short combo.

I'm guessing Hakumen pressure isn't a thing?

It's not really that strong or his main point, but it's there. Your pressure is pretty much alternating between 2A, 2B, 5B, and 6B.

That and using conditioning to make the opponent hesitate enough for you to be able to do it.

hakumen pressure is really just loose mixup. straight up lows highs and frametraps. You really have almost nothing to stop upbacking except airgrabs.

CP2.0 Hakumen has the same gameplan in general as previous versions of CP. 

He has big normals that control a fair bit of space and his drive gives him unique options during some oki/pressure situations though this has been nerfed further in CP2.0 with what we've seen so far.  Due to having mediocre pressure and mixup, he'll mainly get big damage from counterhits.  He has more limited OD combo opportunities from CP1 to CP2.0 so you'll need to make those count even more now.

Hope that helps a little.