Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

The combo where he juggles them like he has since CS2 and its variations. In CPE it would probably be 2C > jB > j.2A > j.C or something.

For a more specific answer, the staircase in CP1.1 right now:  Launch them up with 2c or 5a:  j.b, j.2a, double jump, j.2c < Agito

In CPE it's still in, the moves you use are just slightly changed.  Watch some of the new vids in the video thread to get an idea.  

The actual term for it is the escalator of justice 

Hey guys its been a while since ive played hakumen, and hes changed a lot in 2.0.. What are some ways of combo-ing into his 5c>ODc now? i used to just use renka(1)>kishuu>5c>ODc but that doesnt work anymore.

Yea ive been just doing psychic anti air 5c's and hope it hits them and i can confirm into OD, but there has to be an easier way D:

You have to confirm into OD later in the combo now.  Like 3c ch, 5c > od used to work but not it doesn't.   Now I see guys like Poropiccho do CH 3c, 2b > Gurren, IAD j.b, j.2a, land 5C > OD and still get a bunch of damage.

I would safe your OD confirm until you get a combo in the corner.  It's much easier to do an OD combo in the corner because you have access to j.c > ODC, hotaru 

or even (corner confirm into 6c), 2c, j.C > OD, Tsubaki > Hotaru.    Lots of damage and otherwise you're just trying to get them into the corner with smart midscreen hotaru confirms if you can, and random confirms into Gurren > Zantetsu if you can't.

Cause I didn't see a CPX Q&A thread I'm gonna ask my question here.

So is there a specific height or maybe character specific ways for 6A anti air to combo into 6B?

Anyone have any tech for what to follow up 6B with? I've been hitting a lot of 6B's during pressure but I'm not sure with how to follow up besides keeping the pressure going or hop ---> grab on wake up. 

Any suggestions? 

Without CH? You can RC for a combo. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with continuing pressure. The most basic use of it is to stop them from automatically downbacking everything so you can land more lows.

Anyone have any tech for what to follow up 6B with? I've been hitting a lot of 6B's during pressure but I'm not sure with how to follow up besides keeping the pressure going or hop ---> grab on wake up. 

Any suggestions?

If its CH you can try these:

(1) 6B CH > 2C > jc > J.B > J.2A > jc > J.B > J.2A > J.214A (2666, 1.05)

(4) 6B CH > 5C > 41236C > 2C > jc > J.B > J.2A > jc > J.B > J.2A > J.214A (4798, 1.1)

(1) 6B CH > Walk > 6A > 6B > 5A > 5A > 214A > IAD J.B > J.2A > 5C > 3C (2744, 1.6)

(5) 6B CH > 5C > 41236C(1) > 623A > 6A > 6B > 5A > 5A > 214A > IAD J.B > J.2A > 5C > 3C (5014, 1.9)

(taken from Beret's Evernote.

I also like to do the 6B > 2C > TK tsubaki combo in the combo thread, but these ones seem easier to do

on non ch, like mac said, pressure is probably the best thing to keep doing. They'll probably press a button on wakeup and you can punish them.

Edit: Oh you could also probably do 6BCH > 5C > cOD into whatever if you have the meter and OD available.

Actually, I think I forgot to update the 6B CH part before going on vacation...

The third combo is character specific and not too useful. As far as the fourth combo is concerned, 41236C(2) is overall better than 41236C(1) > 623A in this version, since it cost one magatama less and the damage difference is not that huge anymore.

I can't test combos at the moment but, I believe the following combos are better:

(3) 6B CH > 2C > TK 214B > IAD J.2C > 2C > jc or hjc > J.B > J.2A > jc > J.B > J.2A > J.214A

(4) 6B CH > 5C > 41236C(2) > 6A > 6B > 5A > 5B > 9jc > J.B > J.2A > jc > J.B > J.2A > J.214A (Not sure this one works)

What is the trick to do combo from challenge 7? I have troubles with connecting jump kick after 2C. I think that Im too slow to properly jump cancel and do kick but this is only mine suspicion. So I'm asking for guide how to perform this combo. I tried to do it ~50 times and only succeeded twice.

What is the trick to do combo from challenge 7? I have troubles with connecting jump kick after 2C. I think that Im too slow to properly jump cancel and do kick but this is only mine suspicion. So I'm asking for guide how to perform this combo. I tried to do it ~50 times and only succeeded twice.

The 236B(1) > CT > 2C > J.B combo?

There are two things that you could do, either delay the 2C or high jump instead of doing a normal one.

Hey guys not sure where to post this since the matchup threads seem to have disappeared but I was wondering what advice you guys could give for the Amane matchup? Being trying to beat a local player for awhile now and I'm really struggling.

Hey guys not sure where to post this since the matchup threads seem to have disappeared but I was wondering what advice you guys could give for the Amane matchup? Being trying to beat a local player for awhile now and I'm really struggling.

Nobody made the Hakumen matchup threads yet because somebody didn't keep their promise to do it. But yea, Amane, he isn't too tough in all honesty, but the fact that he can tag you from half screen kinda makes it a pain in the ass. 

In terms of neutral, he's more than likely going to be dancing around you, so you need to be patient and wait and steadily close the gap. All you need is one good confirm and knockdown, because he has nothing to get you off of him without 50 meter. 

Basically, just be patient and ease your way in. Its a pretty even matchup all things considered, just don't be too passive and let him chip you out.

And with this post, I figured its time someone posted the matchup threads for Hakumen. Guess I'll do it this weekend. Also post the strategy section to the wiki too

Edited by BlackYakuzu94

AHEM cough cough who could that be

I actually saw nobody using the MU forums for a while so I started thinking of other ways to maybe structure it and then focused on that instead of the threads. :V I'll just do it now.

So I'm interested in picking up Hakumen. Have some questions on how to use him better.

• Due to his low mobility and slowly recharging meter it's usually better to play a footsie game with Hakumen due to his good range before deciding to use meter in combos or shielding.
  • In general it's better to use 5D/2D/6D/jD after getting a good feel of what moves the opponent likes to use first right?
  • For predicted projectiles you can use _D to constantly gain meter to add pressure to zoners right?
  • What advantage is there to use 6D over 5D? 
  • Since his 2A is 1-2 f slower than the average 2A it's usually better to block or attempt a _D move when they get in their ideal Jab Range?
  • His best pokes are a mix of 4C, 5B, 2A, 2B and 6C?
  • As far as anti-air/air-to-air goes he can mix that up well with 5A, 6A, 2C, 5C, 5D, j.214B, j.2A, j.A right?
  • What are his best okizeme/meaty options?
  • Due to his low mobility it seems best to generally not to try to approach with him unless you have some meter or they are being predictable?
  • Outside his _D and Yukikaze what are some solid defensive options?
  • His High/low mixup seems to be decent enough. What are his best moves for high/low mixup?
  • In general what's his best use of meter?
  • Is 632146C only really worth using if opponent is low on health, have 4 bars and you get a good confirm?
  • Is 236236D better to save as a clutch finishing move counter or can it be alright to use even during the middle of a match knowing it won't kill?
  • 214214B (Mugen) is apprently kinda useful in this game but requires all 8 bars. I know it changes moves properties and is especially useful in Overdrive since Meter doesn't go down. Is it only good to use it when you have Overdrive? What are other places to use it? 
  • Apparently He's known for being OverDrive Reliant for big damage. Why is this exactly?
  • What are his best and worst matchups?

Regarding the answers that aren't answered in the wiki:

• For predicted projectiles you can use _D to constantly gain meter to add pressure to zoners right?
Since CPE, Drives no longer give a full magatama when activated with a projectile. If able, it's better to cut them, with J.2A, 4C or 2C.

• In general what's his best use of meter?
It depends on the situation and the match-up, but usually:

In neutral, Agito (J.214A) is a powerful air-to-air with a great hitbox and it is very hard to anti-air. On CH it leads to decent combos.

The mix-ups are detailed in the strategy guide that Yakuzu wrote: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=BBCPE/Hakumen/Strategy#Mixup
Though it's usually better not to spend a lot of magatama in mix-ups. Since Haku-men is extremely meter dependent.

As far as combos are concerned, here is an evernote featuring the most important ones ("Bread and Butter" section) : https://www.evernote.com/shard/s500/sh/e7713c11-2dc2-4bc2-b335-2edb46d99a79/9b9a769241c8315de34701ab3c02f2d8

In desperate situations, like being on the last round with no health while the opponent is unscathed. OD + Mugen can be used to turn the tides, since any hit can be turned into a 8k combo or more.

• Is 236236D better to save as a clutch finishing move counter or can it be alright to use even during the middle of a match knowing it won't kill?
It's not a move that should never use, but rather, often enough to remind your opponent that he can't do whatever he wants against you. But not too much, otherwise it's easy to adapt to.

Yukikaze is a powerful tool against characters with strong okizeme or mix-ups (Such as Valk and Taokaka), it forces them to be more careful whenever Haku-men has 4 magatama or more. It also provides an effective way to escape pressure and get out of the corner.

• 214214B (Mugen) is apprently kinda useful in this game but requires all 8 bars. I know it changes moves properties and is especially useful in Overdrive since Meter doesn't go down. Is it only good to use it when you have Overdrive? What are other places to use it?

Overdrive isn't required, but it's usually better to make it unburstable. During Mugen, the combo rate is halved and most of the damage comes from the last hit: a 632146C with 100% minimum damage.

An easy and somewhat practical Mugen combo is:
Throw > 214214B > 236B(1) > 41236C(1) > 623A > Hop > J.214A > J.214B > J.214C > 5C > 214A > 623A > 5C > 623AA > 632146C(lv2) (7.3k)
A 6C can be added before 214214B for a bit more damage, but it's character specific.

• Apparently He's known for being OverDrive Reliant for big damage. Why is this exactly?
In several match-up and because of his mobilty, it's difficult to come near and hit the opponent, as such every hit counts and it's vital to make the best out of them to win.

Furthermore, Haku-men combo aren't burst safe anymore and he has to use a lot of meter to hit hard. By bursting at the right time, Haku-men is penalised twice, since he loses precious magatamas and he has to struggle in neutral again.

On the other hand, Haku-men has one of the best Overdrive in the entire game, granting him an absurd meter gain for a short time, which gives him access to combos requiring 9 magatamas or more such as:

5C CH > ODc > 41236C(1) > CT > 5C > 632146C(lv 2) (+8,5k damage)

Most of Haku-men C normals and special have great raw damage and P2. On top of that, 41236C has a 120% bonus proration and several of his specials and supers ignore the combo rate (41236C, J.214C, 632146C...), hence the "touch of death" combos.

Since you asked a lot questions and it's hard to answer them all, feel free to ask if you want more details.