Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

@CrismonStarDust

Only hop during pressure when your opponent respects you enough to not hit you out of it.  I don't recommend using Hotaru in pressure at all, because on most characters hop > hotaru will whiff if they simply stay crouching, giving them a free punish.  Hotaru is punishable on whiff.   Hotaru only when you hard-read a jump out or DP.   (Hotaru'ing through Litchi's DP gives me a large amount of satisfaction).

Onto your questions:

When you have them in the corner, 90% of players will barrier block until you seem far enough away, and then attempt to jump out or use a move in an attempt to free themselves from the corner.   Do some 2a and 2b, and watch to see when they like to jump out.

For me,  the opponent usually tries to throw out a move or jump out when they block just the tip of Hakumen's 2b.  If they're barrier blocking it pushes him quite a distance away, and gives them enough time to jump out.  

This is when you cancel 2b into Gurren or Renka.  

Gurren, if timed correctly, will counter hit any move that they attempt to use and also catch their jumping frames.  

Renka hits low, and will hit them as they hold up on the control stick to buffer a jump after they block the 2b.  Try these and see if they work out for you.

After you hit them a couples times with these frame traps, your opponent will stop jumping or mashing when you're at this distance.  This is when you can safely hop back in for free, because they're expecting Gurren/Renka.

As far as mixup goes, Tsubaki is worth using by itself.  It does 2800 damage for 3 stars and it incredibly fast for an overhead.  A pseudo high-low 50-50 you can try is forcing them to block 5b, and then TK tsubaki for 2800, or Renka for the low.   

Tsubaki > Hotaru combos exist and do a ton of damage.  Visit the combo thread if you want to try and learn them.

Ok I'll try some of this stuff out, also kind of answers my own on going question of how to keep pressure on people cause I never see to be good at opening people up, gave me some ideas I can apply to other characters too. I didn't know hakumen can combo of off Tsubaki with Hotaru, I'll look into that as well, thanks a lot.

I'm having a problem with the bnb that I haven't really seen around. I can do it fine with the 5b instead of the 2c. When I try it with the 2c, I get to the landing 5a, connect it, and can't connect with the 5b after. The opponent seems to be too high up for it to reach. I've already done everything I can think of to hit moves as low as possible, but I can't get that 5b.

I'm having a problem with the bnb that I haven't really seen around. I can do it fine with the 5b instead of the 2c. When I try it with the 2c, I get to the landing 5a, connect it, and can't connect with the 5b after. The opponent seems to be too high up for it to reach. I've already done everything I can think of to hit moves as low as possible, but I can't get that 5b.

You might want to be clear on which BnB you mean, if your referring to the falling combos off of 623AA, that's addressed on the first page of this thread. 

You might want to be clear on which BnB you mean, if your referring to the falling combos off of 623AA, that's addressed on the first page of this thread.

Yea I'm referring to that bnb. The first page doesn't seem to address the problem I'm having, it mentions two other parts of the combo.

My problem is that while 623aa>jc> falling 2c>5b>jc>j2a>double jc> falling 2c>5a>5b connects, 623aa>jc> falling 2c>2c>jc>j2a>double jc> falling 2c>5a>5b whiffs on the last 5b because the opponent is too high.

I'm not really sure what more I can do to delay the moves to keep them as low as possible. I could probably just go 5a>rest of combo at the end but I want to figure this out.

You're not connecting the 5A > 5B when using the 2C version because you're missing one rep of the loop. You're doing 623AA > j.2C > 2C > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > 5B > Ender instead of 623AA > j.2C > 2C > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > 5B > Ender. It worked when you did the 5B version because doing 5B doesn't launch them as high.

You're not connecting the 5A > 5B when using the 2C version because you're missing one rep of the loop. You're doing 623AA > j.2C > 2C > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > 5B > Ender instead of 623AA > j.2C > 2C > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > j.2A > j.2C > 5A > 5B > Ender. It worked when you did the 5B version because doing 5B doesn't launch them as high.

Thanks a ton Spark, that makes far more sense. I was getting confused by some combo videos which used the 5B instead of 2C.

2. They tech at j.B > j.2A near the end.

- This will happen if your starter is a non-CH level 4 move or if you took too long to get to the 623AA (ie. j2C > 2B > 623AA). Easiest way to fix this is to do 5B instead of 2C at the start or just do 5A > j.B > j2A at the end without doing the 5B.

So is this the reason why when I start with 5C into the Enma loop the last portion doesn't connect? 

Also what are non-CH and CH levels? 

Updated the OP post.  You actually still can do the full ender with a 5C starter the timing is just harder.  CH means counter hit.

So what are the Non-CH levels then (Is there a thread?)?

And in regards to the update to the OP, how does doing the 623AA, > jc > falling j.2C > 2.C as soon as possible change the hit stun (proration?), as I've been doing it with the same timing just off the plain 623AA, and getting stuck at the final 5.A > 5.B > j.B > j.2A > jc > j.C

Attack levels are part of the frame data. Every attack inflicts a certain level of stun. They are categorized by levels; the more stun, the higher the level. 4 is the highest.

Is there any way to figure out what levels these attacks are? I was just browsing on the BB dustloop wiki, but when I search for Hakumen, all I get is the extend version of him.

OK, long time lurker, first time poster. I've picked up Hakumen this time around as I don't like the changes made to my previous main Arakune. I'm a little confused about some of the combo notations I see posted for Hakumen. Particularly the ones that involve "Hop Agito/Tsubaki". Is the hop referencing a Tiger Knee type input, or the small hop he does when dashing?

So after doing a bit of testing on my own, when you start with 5C into the Enma BnB, it seems to me you can't do 5.A> 5.B > j.2A > j.2C > Agito. Instead, you have to skip the 5.B, I just wanted to know if this is correct. Thanks! 

The 5A > 5B is usually for the start of the very last loop. For the first and 2nd loop you'll be doing 5A > J.2A > dj.2C. Props to you if you can do all three loops though. I have a hard enough time getting the 2nd one to work right.

Yep, that's what I meant, starting from 5.C, if you go through the Enma loop to the third rep, you probably have to skip the 5.B and just go straight 5.A > j.2A > j.2C > Agito. 

Also, I find that using 5.A, instead of 2C makes getting all the three reps easier, you're just skimping out on ~500 dmg or so, but for extra magatama, its probably worth. 

Woops, my mistake. I didn't read your post right. Sorry about that. As far as I know, the 5A > 5B thing is a matter of correcting the opponent's height because they usually drop lower after each loop.

When you say that how strict is it? Because when I hit the last 5A > 5B portion, the 5A hits properly, but the 5B goes through their body where should the timings be tighter and looser? 

Hello, I'm new to dustloop. I've been playing Blazblue since extend and I've switched from Tager to Hakumen and stayed with him ever since. Now in CP I'm trying to actually play hakumen well instead of just mashing C or D (lol), could you give me any tips or something? I'm trying to get the loop down but the timing is pretty hard and I have an extremely hard and frustrating time fighting against full screen projectile users like Nu, and Mu. Also do you have any tips for oki or resets? Most of the time I try for oki I usually just get smacked out of it or grabbed by Tager (should I even attempt oki on him?). Also, is there any other significant/important OD combo cancels I can cancel into mid combo besides the Air Grab, Renka (1) Dash cancel, and firefly?
Sorry for the barrage of questions :sweatdrop:

Hello, I'm new to dustloop. I've been playing Blazblue since extend and I've switched from Tager to Hakumen and stayed with him ever since. Now in CP I'm trying to actually play hakumen well instead of just mashing C or D (lol), could you give me any tips or something? I'm trying to get the loop down but the timing is pretty hard and I have an extremely hard and frustrating time fighting against full screen projectile users like Nu, and Mu. Also do you have any tips for oki or resets? Most of the time I try for oki I usually just get smacked out of it or grabbed by Tager (should I even attempt oki on him?). Also, is there any other significant/important OD combo cancels I can cancel into mid combo besides the Air Grab, Renka (1) Dash cancel, and firefly?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :sweatdrop:

Welcome to Dustloop, and welcome to the Hakumen side. We excel in bringing the pain >:D Now onto the questions.

1. Its a pretty good idea to understand what his normals are and what they can do. Once you understand them better, it should help you mash less. You can check on this very subforum, or the wiki to help: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hakumen_(BBCP)#Normal_Moves

2. Due to CP's new combo system, combos have be timed pretty quickly. Basically, the timing for the loop gets tighter the longer it goes on(About after the first 5A). The first J.2C has to be delayed pretty late, and from then the combo gets tighter. Just keep practicing to get the timing down, the fortunate thing about Hakumen in this iteration is that his BnB's are pretty simple.

3. I'd consult the matchup threads for questions on characters.

4. Hakumen's oki comes from an Agito ender midscreen, and 3C ender in the corner. Midscreen you can do a typical BnB, but instead of doing J.2A>J.2C>Agito, you do J.B>Agito and you can AD in or back on your opponent depending on what they do and follow up with a J.B. on their wake up. In terms of resets, only thing I really know are throw resets.

5. Beside air grab, the best way to go into OD is off of a confirmed 5C starter.

Hope these helped.