Spark

[CP] Hakumen Q & A: New players check here first

New to BlazBlue Chronphantasma and looking to pick up Hakumen as a main.

For improvement, would you say its better to learn a few basics, then go online and play for a while to get the feel for Hakumen. Then once i feel comfortable go back to practice mode and combo's/BnB/more advaced things.

Or should I learn all the BnB's and Combos etc. before going online?

Thanks for the help :)

You're probably best off by practicing his normals / specials in training mode until you can do them consistently, then going to play some matches. Combos are important, but learning how the character in general works is more important. Even if you have the best combo in the world it won't matter if you can never hit the other guy to use it.

You'll also need experience in real matches to use stuff you practice in training mode because at first you won't have the presence of mind to incporate it into your play. Then slowly as you adjust you will be able to use more.

I think a combination is definitely helpful.  The difference between knowing what move to use in practice mode, and what move to use against a scary opponent who isn't letting you think or breathe is night/day.

Learn basics like 2a x whatever into 3c, learn what the majority of your moves do and what they're used for, and then unbind your D button and hop into some matches.

Dont unbind the D button since counters can be used in neutral to gain stars against projectiles and obvious slow moves.

Dont unbind the D button since counters can be used in neutral to gain stars against projectiles and obvious slow moves.

If you dont want to unbind your D try not use it as much as it can get you into bad habits which can get you punished for it, unbinding at first is a good idea cuz you'l get used to hakus normals, playstyle etc more, then try to use D in the right situations eg when you know there not expecting it or to close out round with D shippu. ( I also am sometimes guilty of mashing D, but dont do so as much anymore so I suggest unbind at first as well) It is a great tool if used correctly.

If you dont want to unbind your D try not use it as much as it can get you into bad habits which can get you punished for it, unbinding at first is a good idea cuz you'l get used to hakus normals, playstyle etc more, then try to use D in the right situations eg when you know there not expecting it or to close out round with D shippu. ( I also am sometimes guilty of mashing D, but dont do so as much anymore so I suggest unbind at first as well) It is a great tool if used correctly.

I prefer using slashing moves like 4C or 3C as the case demands and then zoning plays like sj.2A > AD / dj and stuff,  rather than pressing random D's on projectiles.

Try to press the D moves when your opponent is trying to frame trap you while blocking. It can also come in handy in many other situations, for examble when you want to get away from the corner. 2D is the best choice for lows -> yukikaze if the opponent goes for a high (because sadly in cp blocking lows and instant 6D won't work anymore)

I prefer using slashing moves like 4C or 3C as the case demands and then zoning plays like sj.2A > AD / dj and stuff,  rather than pressing random D's on projectiles.

It's not a random D if you're reacting to the projectile. Sometimes, the invul you get from using a drive on a projectile is more important than setting up Fuumajin. Your 2D, 5D, and j.D are also faster than any of the normals you can use to cut projectiles. It's better to use the drives when you have less time to react to projectiles or you're expecting to get punished.

While this may sound vague...any beginner tips for Hakumen? I'm literally inept at nearly everything in this game, so where's a nice starting point for Haku? What should I focus on doing and doing consistently (other than his core BnB, that feels like its a long ways off for me)

My advice would be, don't make the mistake a lot of new Hakumen players do and count on his C's too much. Getting familiar with using his all of his Normals should make you a much more well rounded Haku player. Get used to using basic pressure strings like 2Ax > 3C and 2A > 6A > 6B.

Also, His movement can be funky, but this isn't a platformer and jumping all the time will lead to you getting read like a book and punished for it.

I see, thanks. Yeah I'm guilty of using his Cs a lot. Going to hop into training later and familiarize myself with him more. I'll give those strings a go, thanks. 

Yeah, I have a tendency to enjoy being in the air. Need to iron that out.

You'll probably still be jumping a lot since his hop can be a bit limited and it's usually easier/safer to jump over or away from an attack, but doing something like upback into air dash over and over as your only approach can lead to very bad habits.

So far, if i get punished for being obvious like that I try and see if my opponent uses an obvious punish. A j.d kind of helps in those situations, but I know what you mean. It has been a bad habit since I picked up Kanji in P4A (What is the ground?)

New member here, started learning hakumen since the end of Extended.

So my question goes to this i want to know if defensive play style is good or not:

I play him mostly on defensive spot always punishing with 23C. the combos that i usually do for hakumen is either 2A 3times, 23C or 4123C, 2C, j.c2B, j.c2B, 214A. and any other short combos (I have laggy matches i have yet to perfect execute the basic combos).

What's the maximum damage for a regular combo ? Because I feel like my combo damage is not enough just decent.

New member here, started learning hakumen since the end of Extended.

So my question goes to this i want to know if defensive play style is good or not:

I play him mostly on defensive spot always punishing with 23C. the combos that i usually do for hakumen is either 2A 3times, 23C or 4123C, 2C, j.c2B, j.c2B, 214A. and any other short combos (I have laggy matches i have yet to perfect execute the basic combos).

What's the maximum damage for a regular combo ? Because I feel like my combo damage is not enough just decent.

Of course, it's super cool! Instant blocking things is very importand for haku! Similary, Instant Block allows you to punish moves that are normaly too far out of range, or unpunishable

for example, Ragna's 5C>2D is a true blockstring. with normal blocking, some blockstrings  won't let you do any D move to punish, But the Instant Block is a problem solver!

try to learn some basic combos like, 2A>6A>5A>3C or jB>5A>guren>2A>3C if you execute some of those you'll be able to do more

it depends on the starter of the combo and how much stars you use for it, for more info check out the combo thread! :)

His regular juggle BnB should net you around 4.5k for 3 stars. (3C CH > 5C > Zan (2) > 2C > juggle)

Defensive is fine. But Hakumen has a lot of explosive damage this time around so just be ready to use it for a punish when you can.

Got any specific questions? It's hard to know where to start.

Here's a small list.

--Don't spam D.

--Be careful about your C moves; they're unsafe. Cancel them into your star moves to make them safe.

--Alternate between a long range poking game and up close pressure game as the situation calls for it.

---Use j.C and 4C to poke and 2A, 5A, and 2B for up close pressure. Mid range is 5B, 5C, and 3C.

--Blocking and playing defensively is fine. Just look for stuff to punish.

--Anti air with 6a.

--Work throws into your up close game. Hakumen always benefitted from it.

--Attack precisely; don't just mash out whatever. Every time you attack you're opening up your defense to the opponent. If you do it carelessly you'll be the one to get hit instead.

sorry if its the wrong thread? (happend before). I'm a new Haku player. I'd like to know good defensive options for haku against high pressure chars. Most of the times I break down due to the opponents endless attacks (endless blockstrings like superior Relius players and Jins). I cant find an opening. I'm either to far away to attack during the end of a blockstring or to slow. For example Relius continues or restarts his attacks with j.B and Jin with 6B (+3 on block).

sorry if its the wrong thread? (happend before). I'm a new Haku player. I'd like to know good defensive options for haku against high pressure chars. Most of the times I break down due to the opponents endless attacks (endless blockstrings like superior Relius players and Jins). I cant find an opening. I'm either to far away to attack during the end of a blockstring or to slow. For example Relius continues or restarts his attacks with j.B and Jin with 6B (+3 on block).

Like every character vs. any character, you have to know what moves can be escaped and where the gaps are. Sometimes you're going to have to guess when to get out, but in the case of Jin's 6B, I think it's plausible to react and punish. Getting out of pressure is definitely an uphill battle, but at least with Hakumen you have some decent tools to escape.

2D catches mids and lows from the first frame, so it can be very effective if you instant block to create gaps in their string and mash 2D. However it doesn't stay active very long and can get you punished.

5D catches highs and mids, but takes some time to actually start up (7f or something). However it stays active a lot longer and can even be held to further extend the active frames. Pretty effective against jump-ins, but not so much during actual pressure.

Yukikaze catches everything but grabs (and unblockables I think). However, it costs 50% meter and it can of course be punished if used improperly.

6D catches colds.

Counter assault is often overlooked but can be especially useful to keep in mind as a Hakumen, thanks to his great meter gain. 50% meter to smack the opponent away while you're in blockstun, taking back the momentum. Can technically be blocked and punished.

Also it's important to know when you should just sit tight and block! If you think there's going to be a decently wide gap in their string, you can try to jump back and barrier with 7AB. If they try to reset pressure, you're going to be in the air - best case scenario you'll get out of range of their followup, worst case you're going to block it in the air. However if they decide to go for a low while you're still in blockstun, holding up trying to escape, you're going to eat it and might find yourself in a worse situation. Like always, you have to balance the risk vs. the reward when choosing what to do. Sometimes (most times on defense actually) you just have to make an educated guess though!

Remember to try to throw tech when they get uncomfortably close. Some characters will be more obvious in their throw set-ups, while others will be harder to predict (due to them being in throw range so often). 1/4ABC option select is nice, but I recently discovered pressing 1/4ABC gives a MUCH smaller throw tech window that just pressing BC, so I've thought more about when to use each. Throws are pretty much the "fastest" form of mixup, so reacting is pretty much not going to happen. Just get a feel for your opponent's options vs. your own and take a chance.

You definitely have to know each and every character you're fighting against, so it's more complicated than it might sound, but never give up!

anybody knows what is the right timing to make an oki after the j.2C at the end of the combo? I sometimes do it fine, but other times the opponent's wakeup are too high so 5A or anything else can't connect correctly. Sorry for my poor english 

It sounds like you're having trouble executing the juggle loop part of his BnB. "Oki" is the term that refers to your options once you've successfully knocked them down onto the ground and they're getting back up.

You have to connect the j.2C as low as possible.

It also depends what starter you're using. Sometimes you can only do 2 loops instead of 3.

I mean the j.2C finisher and not the Agito one (j.214A).J.2C would let the opponent wake up in the air rather then knock them down.
I think it depends from what starter you use in the combo to bring the opponent in the right position you want him to be.

It depends on which air-tech they use.    They can neutral, back, or forward tech in the air after the J.2C.  You pretty much need to predict which tech they will use to apply pressure to them after they tech in the air.  

Neutral tech will let you set up 5a oki most of the time.

If they forward or back tech, that pops them up a little bit in the air, making them too high and too far away for any 5a resets/oki/pressure.

You mean not ending the combo in Agito, letting them air tech after j.2C and just trying to catch them out of their tech? Interesting. I always just j.C if I'm not going to use Agito.