LegendaryRath

[P4AU] Mitsuru Kirijo Gameplay Discussion

I'm planning on making the sections collapsible. The combos I listed already specify where they should be used, but I think it would be easier if I make it more obvious. 

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm planning on making the sections collapsible. The combos I listed already specify where they should be used, but I think it would be easier if I make it more obvious. 

Thanks for the suggestions

Sweet, that sounds like a good idea. When I first look at it, it feels like a wall-of-text, so separating it a bit helps a lot. I'll also see if I can contribute any more combos.

Btw, is it necessary list all available variants to a combo? For instance, those 5B combos I listed, you can change them up quite a bit, but the damage doesn't really change much. Though, it could be useful information if one grants more SP than the other.

Btw, is it necessary list all available variants to a combo? For instance, those 5B combos I listed, you can change them up quite a bit, but the damage doesn't really change much. Though, it could be useful information if one grants more SP than the other.

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid right now. It would probably be confusing to new players to see several combos for the same starter that all look comparable, where it's difficult to tell which one they should use.

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid right now. It would probably be confusing to new players to see several combos for the same starter that all look comparable, where it's difficult to tell which one they should use.

Maybe put down different reasons for using any particular variant; ease of execution, corner carry, connects more reliably at certain ranges, etc.

If they wanted to drill the more effective combos, it's up to them, or if they want reliability, they can certainly go for the ones that are more forgiving on execution.

Maybe put down different reasons for using any particular variant; ease of execution, corner carry, connects more reliably at certain ranges, etc.

If they wanted to drill the more effective combos, it's up to them, or if they want reliability, they can certainly go for the ones that are more forgiving on execution.

I like that, just not for the bnb section. I don't mind having a bunch of different options for each starter in the following section (which I have yet to make). The BNBs + combo theory section is there to go through the optimal routes and explain how each part of them works.

Just make a different section for the advanced combos and whatnot. Keep the first part as general info, for all to know and the second part for those who are more eager or want more information, or just want to take it to the next level.

http://youtu.be/_dJbJHFhYss

a little something i thought up while messing around with tentarafoo.

dashing D tentarafoo > shadow fury > dashing B Coup Droit > SB Bufula > double sparta kicks

doesn't work on everyone at max range midscreen, but will work on everyone when near the corner

Since there isn't a Shadow Mitsuru combo thread, here's a burst safe combo.

2DD > 4 > 2 > bufula D > shadow fury > Myriad Arrows B > OMC > droit SB > bufula SB > mabufudyne > Myriad Arrows SB

They won't burst until they see shadow fury. They can burst at bufula SB, but the burst will whiff, and they'll be airborne. You'll have about 30 SP left, so you might be able slip out some more damage.

2DD > 4 > 2 > bufula D > shadow fury > Myriad Arrows B > OMC > droit SB > bufula SB > mabufudyne > Myriad Arrows SB

They won't burst until they see shadow fury. They can burst at bufula SB, but the burst will whiff, and they'll be airborne. You'll have about 30 SP left, so you might be able slip out some more damage.

Definitely plan to include a section for shadow berserk combos later as well! This list keeps growing and growing haha

http://youtu.be/_dJbJHFhYss

a little something i thought up while messing around with tentarafoo.

dashing D tentarafoo > shadow fury > dashing B Coup Droit > SB Bufula > double sparta kicks

doesn't work on everyone at max range midscreen, but will work on everyone when near the corner

It's actually easier to just do Tentarafoo> 5DD (Dash if at max range)> 2DD> 5> 2AB> B Coup> SB Coup> Double Kick.

Does more damage and is much easier to confirm from.

oh? haha i'll try it when i get home but yes, that does sound better than mine

Correction, you have to omit the B Coup in the input I just showed you or your meter will run out before the second Myraid Arrows.

Can't you actually just do 2DD> 5> 2> [2]8D> 5> 2> Frenzy> 236326B> OMB> [4]6B> [2]8CD> 214214C/D> 236236AB

I think that does more damage  too and is completely burst safe as well, with the small exception of the SB Bufula, but the case there is the same as in your combo. 

Yours is the exact same, mine just adds in a 5B (Though you have to delay it slightly to hit them on the ground) and 2B, as well as that you can replace the SB Coup with a B coup for more damage. 

Also, in both cases, ice and with 5B and 2B, you have enough time to charge the kick to the last tresshold and still get the last Myriad Arrows in.

Correction, you have to omit the B Coup in the input I just showed you or your meter will run out before the second Myraid Arrows.

Can't you actually just do 2DD> 5> 2> [2]8D> 5[b> 2> Frenzy> 236326B> OMB> [4]6B> [2]8CD> 214214C/D> 236236AB

I think that does more damage  too and is completely burst safe as well, with the small exception of the SB Bufula, but the case there is the same as in your combo. 

Yours is the exact same, mine just adds in a 5B (Though you have to delay it slightly to hit them on the ground) and 2B, as well as that you can replace the SB Coup with a B coup for more damage. 

Also, in both cases, ice and with 5B and 2B, you have enough time to charge the kick to the last tresshold and still get the last Myriad Arrows in.

Yeah your combo does a bit more. The main difference I like about it is that you have 10 SP by the time you need to do Myriad Arrows. My combo cut it really close.

It's actually easier to just do Tentarafoo> 5DD (Dash if at max range)> 2DD> 5> 2AB> B Coup> SB Coup> Double Kick.

Does more damage and is much easier to confirm from.

At max range midscreen, I can't get dashing 5DD to connect... near the corner or at C tentarafoo range midscreen it's fine. is there something i'm missing? 

Okay, I think I figured out how to make all of S.Mitsuru combos burst safe. Whenever you're about to go into shadow fury do Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A/B (depending on distance) > OMC > droit B > bufula SB. In every case you should get at least 5k damage (exception being the throw route). If they don't have a burst, go for the regular 7k damage route.

There was an instance where the opponent was able to burst the bufula SB, but I'm guessing that was due to lag, he also got hit by the rest of the bufula SB and I was still able to finish the combo up.

For auto combo route. Do 5AAAAA > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows B > OMC > droit B > stuff.

For crouching confirm route. Do 5AA > 5B > sweep > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A > OMC > droit B > stuff.

For throw route. Do Throw > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A > OMC > droit B > stuff.

For air throw route. Do CH air throw > 2DD > 4 > sweep > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A > OMC > droit B > stuff.

These options are effective midscreen. I'm not sure about the corner, since droit B will be a bit closer. For Reako's route, if you do 2B before 2DD the proration is bad enough that droit B > bufula SB won't connect. An optional route for 2B starter would be. 2B > 2DD > 4 > sweep > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A > OMC > droit B.

Here are a few tips that might help. If the opponent is airborne when you go into Shadow Fury (for instance sweep > Shadow Fury) then do Myriad Arrows A. The B version will cause the kick to whiff. Also, try not to hold forward when you do Myriad Arrows A, otherwise the kick will fling the opponent in the opposite direction (though you could make use of this to get them closer to the corner). Another thing, you have to watch the proration. Adding in 2B to Reako's combo killed that combo, so you have to be mindful of how many hits you're doing before you Shadow Fury. Sweep > Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows A, is burst safe, so you can do that instead.

Forgot to mention, you might have to delay the droit B a bit so that it lands. The delay isn't much and it's easy to do.

I... Thought everyone knew that. I've been doing that since day 1. It was actually used quite a lot by this specific S.Mitsuru player who played in tournaments quite a bit in the arcade version, though I do not remember his/her name.

Anywho, in the corner, just omit the B Coup, just go from the kick into OMC> SB Bufula.
Not only is this a burst safe confirm, but also quite a lot easier when it comes to standing opponents. (IMO Frenzy> Sweep is sometimes hard to connect with a certain amount of lag). So in the case you want to use it to just get a quick finish, you can do another 5B> 2AB> A/B Coup (Not sure, depending on the time, you might have to omit the coup all together.) for more damage. Don't forget to do a regular B Myriad Arrows for the second kick, or you don't have enough shards to get the fully charged kick in there. (It MIGHT be possible, though, but the timing would be very, VERY strict.)

Also, you do not have to delay the B Coup. You can just start charging it. Considering you cancel the recovery into a SB Bufula, it doesn't matter and just adds more damage. Makes it easier to time that way too.

And I wasn't sure about that 2 extra in there anymore. It depends on the combo, though. But in non 2B starters you should be able to add it. Either way, I just thought I'd mention it in case someone was interested in the possibility of extra damage in most cases. You can easily do without, though. The only reason it really wiffed was because of it being the 3rd 2B in the combo, and 2Bs SMP being quite damned high, actually. So, it would work in any other case that isn't a 2B combo starter. In those cases, you do not have to worry about the 2B killing your combo what-so-freaking-ever, I'm pretty damned sure. Don't sue me if it's not so, but it should be, really. The proration is never really high with Mitsuru when it comes to S.Mitsuru anyway, considering you always cancels combos into Frenzy pretty early on and you don't have to worry about proration once the SB Bufula hits anymore. It's all minimum proration, afer all.

Just do realize that doing this combo doesn't work if you have already done a B Coup somewhere before, they wil tech. Though I can't really think of a case where this counts.

One more small thing. Doing a j.B> 5AAAAA> Frenzy> B Myriad Arrows> B Coup> SB Bufula doesn't work. They will tech after the B Coup. So just don't do the full auto combo after also having hit with j.A or j.B, though I'm not sure about j.A.
You don't have to worry about this when you're in the corner and you skip the B Coup and instantly go into the SB Bufula anyway. 

@Shtkn: I'll test that out tomorrow, I'm not entirely sure anymore. It might be that you can't chain it at max range tentarafoo after all, in which case your B Coup route is actually very usefull. IIRC you should be able to use 5DD though, if you use a (Corner to corner) dash Tentarafoo D> dash 5DD. It might be a little strict, and in case you're uncertain about it, I'd just suggest going with your route in this case. Though you'll be sorry if you can't get the shortdash out before the B Coup. Either way, once again, I'll check tomorrow.

Lots of information there. I hope I helped any.

Thanks for the info. There didn't seem to be much info on burst safe routes so I just put this out there. Though, I guess it would be better to put this in a place where someone new to S.Mitsuru could find it easily.

I forgot how crappy 2B's SMP was. Doing two or three in a combo might be rough for a burst safe route. Though, the non-burst safe route it's fine. Good stuff on the Shadow Fury > Myriad Arrows > OMC > bufula SB for the corner. The cool thing about S.Mitsuru is that I'm learning new stuff about her every day. Though I wish I could play her more. Netplay makes it pretty rough.

Hey new Mitsuru player here! I have been player her for about two weeks now and her charges are still a bit weird to me. However I expected at least this much since it is my first time playing a charge character. Besides that are some ways Mitsuru can open up very patient opponents?  I usually stagger pressure  carefully to frame trap and convert off random sweep and 5a hits. However patient opponents who are good pretty decent at teching throws are mess up my game plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Hey new Mitsuru player here! I have been player her for about two weeks now and her charges are still a bit weird to me. However I expected at least this much since it is my first time playing a charge character. Besides that are some ways Mitsuru can open up very patient opponents?  I usually stagger pressure  carefully to frame trap and convert off random sweep and 5a hits. However patient opponents who are good pretty decent at teching throws are mess up my game plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Those are my favorite opponents actually. You've got the time in the world to do what you want. Mix up with stuff like 5AA> 5B> 2AB(Feint)> Throw. or 5AA> 5B> 2AB(feint)> Throw Feint with 5B or j.C or just j.B.

Try to throw feint people that tech very well. The most effective counter to this is 5B, but it is not as safe if they evasion dash it. J.C is great for that as well, just make sure to jump cancel it on block or you'll be strongly negative. j.B is the safest, but also the least damaging options.

Another very useful option on patient opponents is a j.B> OMC> j.B> j.C> C Bufula> rest (Not sure about the rest. I barely ever do this route.

And in case you have another 25 meter do this for more damage. j.B> OMC> j.> 5AA> 5B> 2AB> SB Coup> 2> D Bufula> 5> 2AB> B Coup.

Try messing around with 5B forward dash cancel, 5C forward dash cancel and backstep and 5A backstep. Mitsuru has a lot more tools now, so you don't just have to 5A pressure stagger anymore. A VERY useful thing on patient opponents is a 5 cancel into throw. Just hold 5B and just before the fully charged version hits do a throw. You can keep holding 5B during the throw to make it easier. Watch out though, this is DP'able on reaction. You can also cancel this into another 5B to bait this cancel throw. You can also cancel it into a lot more, like all specials, all supers, marin karin, AoA and sweep (Can be feinted as normal).

Mitsuru has lot more to mess with opponents with now. Though not all as safe as 5A pressure stagger, it will most certainly put some more pressure on them. Try the things out I just told you and come back to tell me whether it made a difference, was no use at all, or a grand success.

And let me ''officially'' welcome you to Dustloop's Mitsuru section! It's always nice to see new and eager Mitsuru players. Good luck with playing Mitsuru and don't be afraid to ask about anything you might not be sure about. I, and everyone else, will do our best to answer as rightful as possible.

focus on the way the opponent defends

you said patient opponents who are good at teching throws mess up your game plan. are they actually good at teching throws? how are you setting up throws? observing the opponent's selection of options vs your offense is the key to winning with mitsuru. you have to judge your opponent's skill level quickly, as different offensive options wont work on all types of opponents

4 is good against other beginners since the reward is high and they dont know how to tech throws properly, and when guarded, youre plus. jC is good, but it only hits a few characters crouching (and never hits teddie when he whiffs a throw). dash > backstep is extremely good and will beat throws, and give you the opportunity to watch them jump and follow their roll

focus on the way the opponent defends

you said patient opponents who are good at teching throws mess up your game plan. are they actually good at teching throws? how are you setting up throws? observing the opponent's selection of options vs your offense is the key to winning with mitsuru. you have to judge your opponent's skill level quickly, as different offensive options wont work on all types of opponents

4 is good against other beginners since the reward is high and they dont know how to tech throws properly, and when guarded, youre plus. jC is good, but it only hits a few characters crouching (and never hits teddie when he whiffs a throw). dash > backstep is extremely good and will beat throws, and give you the opportunity to watch them jump and follow their roll

I had completely forgotten about the backstep for throw baiting. How stupid of me. Thanks, that should actually help me out a great deal against rolling and jumping opponents myself. Mitsuru's backstep is actually quite good. I should make more use of it.

I was also unaware of the j.C wiff on crouching opponents and had forgotten about Teddie's case, because I simply just barely ever use j.C in combat. Especially against grounded opponents. I only really used it on Kanji in vanilla. And since the strong increase on recovery barely pretty much never use it anymore, even in the air. Because Mitsuru's other tools are just so much better in every case.

Those are my favorite opponents actually. You've got the time in the world to do what you want. Mix up with stuff like 5AA> 5B> 2AB(Feint)> Throw. or 5AA> 5B> 2AB(feint)> Throw Feint with 5B or j.C or just j.B.

Try to throw feint people that tech very well. The most effective counter to this is 5B, but it is not as safe if they evasion dash it. J.C is great for that as well, just make sure to jump cancel it on block or you'll be strongly negative. j.B is the safest, but also the least damaging options.

Another very useful option on patient opponents is a j.B> OMC> j.B> j.C> C Bufula> rest (Not sure about the rest. I barely ever do this route.

And in case you have another 25 meter do this for more damage. j.B> OMC> j.> 5AA> 5B> 2AB> SB Coup> 2> D Bufula> 5> 2AB> B Coup.

Try messing around with 5B forward dash cancel, 5C forward dash cancel and backstep and 5A backstep. Mitsuru has a lot more tools now, so you don't just have to 5A pressure stagger anymore. A VERY useful thing on patient opponents is a 5 cancel into throw. Just hold 5B and just before the fully charged version hits do a throw. You can keep holding 5B during the throw to make it easier. Watch out though, this is DP'able on reaction. You can also cancel this into another 5B to bait this cancel throw. You can also cancel it into a lot more, like all specials, all supers, marin karin, AoA and sweep (Can be feinted as normal).

Mitsuru has lot more to mess with opponents with now. Though not all as safe as 5A pressure stagger, it will most certainly put some more pressure on them. Try the things out I just told you and come back to tell me whether it made a difference, was no use at all, or a grand success.

And let me ''officially'' welcome you to Dustloop's Mitsuru section! It's always nice to see new and eager Mitsuru players. Good luck with playing Mitsuru and don't be afraid to ask about anything you might not be sure about. I, and everyone else, will do our best to answer as rightful as possible.

These options really helped me out against opponents like this thanks! However, sometimes I expect DP so I use 2AB (feint). The problem is the punish when they do DP. I try to do 6B but instead I always get [4]6B because I am holding back. Even if I stop in neutral for a second [4]6B still comes out. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

If you're down backing, pressing 1, and you do 6, you will get droit B all the time. If you want to punish somebody for doing a DP, I suggest not doing sweep feint. You'd be better off just standing at max 5A range and waiting to see if they DP, or roll, or jump, and react accordingly.

If you're down backing, pressing 1, and you do 6, you will get droit B all the time. If you want to punish somebody for doing a DP, I suggest not doing sweep feint. You'd be better off just standing at max 5A range and waiting to see if they DP, or roll, or jump, and react accordingly.

So that not good for baits? I used to try max range 5a during first week of the game release then Yukari blew me up

So that not good for baits? I used to try max range 5a during first week of the game release then Yukari blew me up

Yukari can't do much versus Mitsuru max range 5A. By blow up, I assume you mean she used her DP. That's the point of max range 5A, so you can react to stuff like that. If she does DP, she'll stop right in front of you, then you do 5A > sweep > droit SB, 4k damage combo. If she's midscreen and does it, you punish with droit A. Her options when you're at max range 5A are high-risk/low reward. You have to take these sorts of things into account.

Besides, at a distance, most players are less inclined to DP. If you're close up, they'll more than likely to DP because Mitsuru isn't at a good range there. Of course this is stuff you'll have to observe quickly in a match.

Also, the reason why Mitsuru 5A is the correct way to bait DPs is because it also beats rolls and jumping. Doing a max range 5A with Mitsuru limits the opponents options. Just ask yourself, when you have the opponent in the corner "What can my opponent do?" For Yukari it's either DP, Block, or Roll. Don't mash 5A the moment they wake up, since you're baiting something, it can't be baited if you mash. However, you can mash 5A on their wake-up if you've conditioned them to respect your 5A. Trust me, Mitsuru's pressure is scary because she's really safe when she does it.

All and all, it will take practice. Mitsuru's combos are pretty easy, but her gameplan is tough. She's plays like a zoner. You always need to be mindful of your spacing and place yourself in favorable positions.