HoudiniJr100

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Gameplay Discussion

I take no responsibility if I happen to be totally wrong! I'm assuming they're 5C and 5D respectively because 5C is fairly quick, short ranged, and appears to gatling into AoA (which no D moves do afaik), and 5D has a lengthy startup and can be used for mixup/oki (which most D moves do) afaik.

well anyways, I'll keep this in mind, really appreciate it guys. I'll look into more videos about it later...hopefully we'll get a junpei tutorial or combo movie and that'll clear this up... :P

How many runs can Junpei get? I've seen it go as high as 39.

I saw someone get 45, but I dunno for sure.

How many runs can Junpei get? I've seen it go as high as 39.

It goes as high as Junpei wants it to be. Nothing can stop the Absolute Victory Hitter

His J.C appears to be an uppercut that launches them really high lol

Ah your right. It is an uppercut like move from Tris. Sakuraba uses it in the C AoA combos.

Ah your right. It is an uppercut like move from Tris. Sakuraba uses it in the C AoA combos.

all right, I'll add that to the list!

EDIT: Mayonaka midnight has an extensive list of junpei's normals so I will edit accordingly, also I was correct on 2C being the baseball slide for tris. I will edit accordingly

Edited by HoudiniJr100

So guys, has anyone noticed that Junpei gains a red aura (a lá Azu-nyan) when (apparently) you have your S, B & O points full: http://youtu.be/J5DUKcDioLg?t=9m45s

Does anyone know what it does? Or is it just an indication that he can get a loadfull of runs if gets a homerun or something?

So guys, has anyone noticed that Junpei gains a red aura (a lá Azu-nyan) when (apparently) you have your S, B & O points full: http://youtu.be/J5DUKcDioLg?t=9m45s

Does anyone know what it does? Or is it just an indication that he can get a loadfull of runs if gets a homerun or something?

Just an indication that if you whiff an attack with his baseball bat (or you get hit), you strike out and lose all the runners you had on base. So in that situation try to hit the opponent, and don't get hit.

Just an indication that if you whiff an attack with his baseball bat (or you get hit), you strike out and lose all the runners you had on base. So in that situation try to hit the opponent, and don't get hit.

Ah I see, thanks. The aura can be helpful if you you're playing a close game and can't pay close attention to his points, I guess.

While these guys arent as good as Sakuraba their doing things that he wasnt.

- SB 214AB can be held, he may have guard point as he's holding it

- He can combo after his super if it was a Clean Hit with Sweep. 236236A/B, he didnt do the Yosha animation after it was done. Maybe D followup is when he does the pose and A followup can be combo'd after on a Clean Hit

- 214A/B ender > 5D oki. It can be avoided with quick escape but it's a start.

- j.2A was blocked standing. I guess it works like Yukiko's air fans where it physically has to hit their lower hitbox to count as a low.

While these guys arent as good as Sakuraba their doing things that he wasnt.

- SB 214AB can be held, he may have guard point as he's holding it

- He can combo after his super if it was a Clean Hit with Sweep. 236236A/B, he didnt do the Yosha animation after it was done. Maybe D followup is when he does the pose and A followup can be combo'd after on a Clean Hit

- 214A/B ender > 5D oki. It can be avoided with quick escape but it's a start.

- j.2A was blocked standing. I guess it works like Yukiko's air fans where it physically has to hit their lower hitbox to count as a low.

yeah...still junpei mirrors did give me the air throw animation. :P

Was talking to xiei about junpei during nec stream, junpei can get 5D oki off of a clean hit SB bunt in the corner, and it might be possible with clean hit B bunt but hes not sure. Also told me how you can cancel SB dive by holding it, and junpei just runs forward instead, allowing you to do stuff off midscreen clean hit combos.

Edited by Ninjaelephant

Was talking to xiei about junpei during nec stream, junpei can get 5D oki off of a clean hit SB bunt in the corner, and it might be possible with clean hit B bunt but hes not sure. Also told me how you can cancel SB dive by holding it, and junpei just runs forward instead, allowing you to do stuff off midscreen clean hit combos.

yeah, I heard about that at one point...quite a good idea too actually should you wanna close distance.

double post yada-yada-yada-who cares it's the new year!

I added more videos to the video thread for one to get us up to speed for that front (lack of combo movies saddens me), and a few of the matches I've seen have given us essentially Junpei's answer to CP Bang's 2B-6B combo loop.

2B-shorthop-j.5B. More effective in victory cry due to clean hit as it turns out so it seems to be VC exclusive unless someone manages to do it outside of victory cry.

So I'm thinking of learning Junpei when I import P4U2, but I have one question. What does it take for this guy to do big damage? I have yet to see Junpei break the 3.5K mark. Is he just still in early stages of discovery, or his he just one of those characters that has good damage conversion rather than big numbers?

So I'm thinking of learning Junpei when I import P4U2, but I have one question. What does it take for this guy to do big damage? I have yet to see Junpei break the 3.5K mark. Is he just still in early stages of discovery, or his he just one of those characters that has good damage conversion rather than big numbers?

For a start, glad to have you aboard! To answer your question, It's mostly trying to reach victory cry that gives him big damage via clean hit. Otherwise you're on the mark with good damage conversion and possible idea of a stage of discovery.

Ok, let's try to spark some discussion in this thread.

After watching tons of videos and asking people who play the game about this character, I think I have some idea what Junpei is capable of in this game.

This is only my opnion about the character considering the info I've gathered.

First off, the basics. Junpei is a "Power Up" character who starts kinda weak and gets stronger if you play him right. Some other characters who also are power ups: Labrys, Izayoi, A.B.A, Frank West etc.

To maximize Junpei's potential, you have to get at least 10 Runs (Levels). He gets levels by basically hiting his opponent with the bat having all bases full.

It's a pretty easy way to level up in my opnion, the only problem is that you need momentum. If you started the match taking damage or dealing damage is something pretty important for the character. Of course you can turn the tides after a bad start, but it will be hard.

When Junpei finally hits 10 Runs, he activates the Bropei Install and gets much better overall. He gains the following things:

- Clean Hits. With this, he can do longer and more damaging combos with his bat.

- Can apply good corner carry.

- Gains a pretty nice okizeme with 5D in the corner.

- HP keeps regenerating (except when taking damage).

- SP keeps going up.

His Install never goes off after activated. It stays active until the end of the match. It's very important to reach 10 Runs as soon as possible.

Taking all that into consideration, I separated his strenghts and weaknesses myself:

Strenghts

- Good pressure game. He can cancel some normals on block with jumps and hops, his sliding is an overhead AND a low, 5AA makes Junpei go forward and is jump canceleable, some special moves have super amor and so on. 

- Solid neutral game. Aside from good jumping normals he can use for that, he also has Deathbound (which is a very interesting tool) and a pretty good low profile Sweep to help him in some situations. The fact that he can strike projectiles with his bat and return them to the opponent also helps his neutral against some characters.

- Good defensive options. His Furious action is useful and his guard cancel is pretty good.

Weaknesses

- Needs to get 10 Runs to do what the cast can do normally with little resources. (except for HP/SP regeneration).

- Outside of Victory Cry Install, Junpei has absolutely no damage and lacks corner carry. He also has problems getting knockdowns.

- Can't combo properly midscreen without using SP.

As you can see, Junpei is pretty weak outside of his install. When he gets it going though, he can be pretty dangerous and get rid of his main weaknesses. I think the reason why players think he's not strong is because he can't keep up with the cast outside of his Install and thus, needs to work more. If I had to separate Regular Junpei and Install Junpei, I'd say regular Junpei is about as strong as Labrys tier-list wise and Install Junpei is strong enough to be together with Yosuke and Akihiko around the mid-high section (considering both of them are still there in this version).

To wrap it up, I think he's pretty viable for competition. He's going to have problems in some match-ups to get his Install going but in others, he'll get it no problem.

Anyway, If you disagree with something or want to share your thoughts about the character, feel free to do so.

Edited by Strife

Considering I'm a man who plays frank in marvel, I can are that he and Junpei are similar with the level system they got. They start weak, but become strong as the match goes forward.

I think you do miss at least one idea about his play style in terms of the bat

It can deflect projectiles! Which gives him one base so in a way he essentially can make good use of his bat if the enemy is spamming projectiles if they have any on them.

Also do not forget trismagistus can cancel 2D to 5D for a cross up as I believe someone else brought up. (Probably Surf it's been a while since I read this thread.)

Otherwise, in the case of his install, Junpei is like Bang, but easy to manage, no random dashes, and a kickass ability of improvising baseball to fighting his opponents

Well, yeah, I did mentioned that his ability to deflect projectiles is good for neutral game but...

It gives one base? Didn't know that at all. It might actually be pretty good against zoning characters. Does the fireball need to hit them to work?

Can't wait to try him, summer please.