HoudiniJr100

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Gameplay Discussion

Well, yeah, I did mentioned that his ability to deflect projectiles is good for neutral game but...

It gives one base? Didn't know that at all. It might actually be pretty good against zoning characters. Does the fireball need to hit them to work?

Can't wait to try him, summer please.

Don't think so. Since the fireball actually goes at an angle like a baseball were hit sky high lol so we get a free base anyways

And trust me, I can't wait either. I'm still aspiring to become the Junpei Mod :P

I think another thing I can bring up is one of his supers. I remember a variant with trismagistus throwing a fireball of sorts, Junpei can hit it for a base. OR the opponent, if in the way can tumble to Junpei being hit by the flame, and be hot by the bat so overall it has uses :P

Don't think so. Since the fireball actually goes at an angle like a baseball were hit sky high lol so we get a free base anyways

And trust me, I can't wait either. I'm still aspiring to become the Junpei Mod :P

I think another thing I can bring up is one of his supers. I remember a variant with trismagistus throwing a fireball of sorts, Junpei can hit it for a base. OR the opponent, if in the way can tumble to Junpei being hit by the flame, and be hot by the bat so overall it has uses :P

Yeah, that variation is pretty hype. Also, do you know how to get a Clean hit from a Homerun super? I saw in some combo videos that it lets you combo into the Awakening one if you manage to get it right.

Unfortunately, no. But I think if it clean hits it'll count the swing as a single so I dunno how effective it'd be unless said awakening can get you a grand slam

Also SB deathbound is the only deathbound that gets multiple hits when they're in the air, and it lets you combo afterwards if you're near them, I've seen some junpeis do OMB > SB deathbound > big damage before. Yolo slide starter does like 7.4k with resources + burst

Edited by Ninjaelephant

I think you do miss at least one idea about his play style in terms of the bat. It can deflect projectiles! Which gives him one base so in a way he essentially can make good use of his bat if the enemy is spamming projectiles if they have any on them.

Well, yeah, I did mentioned that his ability to deflect projectiles is good for neutral game but...

It gives one base? Didn't know that at all. It might actually be pretty good against zoning characters. Does the fireball need to hit them to work?

IIRC They actually had to patch Junpei's reflect ability. Older footage shows reflecting projectiles still counted as a strike on the baseball meter. I initially thought this ruined a big portion of his neutral game and looked to other characters to play. Now that I've seen it fixed in these recent sets, I'm much more optimistic about Junpei as a whole and want to play him even more.

Lately I've been thinking: "Can Shadow Junpei work well at all?". I think to be a good Shadow character you need to have a few things to make up for having no burst:

- Effective ways to open the opponent up

- Fast full screen super for Shadow Rage punishes into a full combo

- Ability to chain same/different supers together without specials moves in between(so opponent cant burst)

S.Naoto/S.Narukami/S.Kuma are the only ones that fill these requirements pretty well from what I've seen.

I'm wondering if Junpei could do the same. Victory Cry health/SP regen would be nice to have. It builds slowly but every bit helps. Tricky mixups aren't really his thing so I'll move on to full screen punishes. His SB awakening seems perfect for this. Problem is if he can loop supers or not as I'm pretty sure SB awakening super only does the multiple wallbounce thing and not a sliding hard knockdown. Any ideas on S.Junpei stuff would be appreciated.

Edited by Gravelneed

IIRC They actually had to patch Junpei's reflect ability. Older footage shows reflecting projectiles still counted as a strike on the baseball meter. I initially thought this ruined a big portion of his neutral game and looked to other characters to play. Now that I've seen it fixed in these recent sets, I'm much more optimistic about Junpei as a whole and want to play him even more.

Lately I've been thinking: "Can Shadow Junpei work well at all?". I think to be a good Shadow character you need to have a few things to make up for having no burst:

- Ability to chain same/different supers together without specials moves in between(so opponent cant burst)

S.Naoto/S.Narukami/S.Kuma are the only ones that fill these requirements pretty well from what I've seen.

I'm wondering if Junpei could do the same. Victory Cry health/SP regen would be nice to have. It builds slowly but every bit helps. Tricky mixups aren't really his thing so I'll move on to full screen punishes. His SB awakening seems perfect for this. Problem is if he can loop supers or not as I'm pretty sure SB awakening super only does the multiple wallbounce thing and not a sliding hard knockdown. Any ideas on S.Junpei stuff would be appreciated.

Hum, well, getting a Base will reset Strikes, so if you focus on swinging the Bat near them (hit or block) you can get rid of Strikes one way or another. I still hope this gets fixed though.

As for Shadow Junpei, I don't really know. I tried searching for players but it looks like no one plays him. The top S.Junpei has 300 PSR and doesn't play him at all, probably just messed around with it. I'd say Shadow Berserk combos would be interesting canceling specials into specials with clean hits but that's it.

I think to be a good Shadow character you need to have a few things to make up for having no burst:

Been kind of waiting for someone to discuss this. This isn't directly Junpei-related, but I feel a 'good' Shadow character probably has all of what you mentioned within the current system, while a 'decent' Shadow character probably has 2 out of the 3. You might want to consider a fourth thing, which is just raw Damage.

If you were to divvy it up as

- Mixup

- Full-screen punish

- Super spam

- DAMAGE

It would probably go a long way towards figuring out why certain Shadow characters have gotten literally no footage. No Shadow Labrys (Ariadne), no Shadow Junpei, Shadow Yukari, Shadow Yukiko. There's a trickle of Shadow Mitsuru, Shadow Aigis, and Shadow Chie on top of the 3 you mentioned, probably because surprise surprise, the former 'Top 5' are still viable if you take away their Burst because they all could/still can do disgusting amounts of damage seemingly out of nowhere.

It also doesn't help that characters who have a unique mechanic (Axe levels, runs, Fire levels/break) probably have limitations in place to make it harder to build their resource super-quick. I still want to see how many runs Shadow Junpei can theoretically get in a single Shadow Rage. Maybe someone should ask Xie to training mode it once or twice?

It also doesn't help that characters who have a unique mechanic (Axe levels, runs, Fire levels/break) probably have limitations in place to make it harder to build their resource super-quick. I still want to see how many runs Shadow Junpei can theoretically get in a single Shadow Rage. Maybe someone should ask Xie to training mode it once or twice?

I'm pretty sure he tried already but had no clue what he's supposed to do with the character. Regular Junpei can get 10 Runs straight from an AoA near corner, shouldn't be too hard to pass that with new cancels.

Anyway, I'm not very interested in Shadows right now but I do want to see if players can come up with more ideas later on. I also feel that ASW might buff them in the future, the fact that they straight up buffed them in a previous patch seems to show that they care about Shadows and want them to be competitive.

So, can someone tell me just about what his three offensive supers do? I've only ever seen the flaming homerun bat. Also, about how fast is his running speed? I hope it's at least better than Mitsuru's...

So, can someone tell me just about what his three offensive supers do? I've only ever seen the flaming homerun bat. Also, about how fast is his running speed? I hope it's at least better than Mitsuru's...

His first Homerun super has 2 variations. One is just the swing and the other one will make Trismegistus throw a fireball for Junpei to hit.

His second Super (Awakening one) makes Trismegistus fly through the whole screen and grab the opponent, then, he comes back for Junpei to strike. Please do note that this isn't a command grab, the opponent can block it.

The third super (Victory Cry) is his Install. This super will activate immediately after you reach 10 Runs, does not cost SP and will cover Junpei in a golden aura. It grants him HP/SP Regeneration and better combos/damage.

His run speed is pretty average, I wouldn't say is good or bad. You can check all his supers and some combos watching the videos below.

Edited by Strife

Considering he has the ability to reflect projectiles with his bat similar to how Faust can use his dust swing to strike his items away (like a boss)

Should we make a list of what Junpei can and cannot reflect back? I did make notiations that it can be a single projectile and no beams. Just need a solid list, and maybe the console release can add more to it.

The thing I'm wondering is: How strong is the reflect fireball?

For example; Naoto shoots all 5 rounds and you reflect the 1st bullet. Will the fireball go through all of the bullets or will its durability run out before it hits her?

The thing I'm wondering is: How strong is the reflect fireball?

For example; Naoto shoots all 5 rounds and you reflect the 1st bullet. Will the fireball go through all of the bullets or will its durability run out before it hits her?

That's actually a pretty good question. No idea.

I know for sure that the fireball is not a multi-hit attack, thus, it should disappear in contact with the following bullet if it were a normal projectile. I don't think that will happen though, it will be pretty shitty since you're gonna get hit anyway.

Also, I've seen some players reflect fireballs with the DP rather than normal bat attacks. The invul might help against multi-hit ones, I guess. Sucks that you lose HP while doing it though.

Edited by Strife

Well I guess in Victory Cry it doesn't matter too much with losing health as Junpei has the fastest blue health regen in the game iirc. Also watching those Sorashido matches confirmed some things for me:

-Home Run super with hard slide follow up can link into the reverse Home Run super(where persona throws fireball)

- Junpei can reflect Naoto's r-action shot with All-Out-Attack. This might mean you could use AoA freely on her without much to worry about if opponent likes to respond with r-action frequently.

-Max range 5B can activate Yosuke's DP without hitting Junpei.

Now I'm just wondering if fireball super has a followup hit to make opponent slide on the ground.

Well I guess in Victory Cry it doesn't matter too much with losing health as Junpei has the fastest blue health regen in the game iirc. Also watching those Sorashido matches confirmed some things for me:

-Home Run super with hard slide follow up can link into the reverse Home Run super(where persona throws fireball)

- Junpei can reflect Naoto's r-action shot with All-Out-Attack. This might mean you could use AoA freely on her without much to worry about if opponent likes to respond with r-action frequently.

-Max range 5B can activate Yosuke's DP without hitting Junpei.

Now I'm just wondering if fireball super has a followup hit to make opponent slide on the ground.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that the AoA worked with her DP, probably because it's very active. I believe she can delay the shot or cancel with Safety mode though.

And about the Reversal Super, it probably has a clean hit follow up to cause the slide. It seems to have the same follow ups as the normal one after all.

By the way Houdini, it looks like most of the links in the video thread are... gone.

Can you take a look?

I noticed that too. I'll look into it, likely an editing screw-up. If not....then I'm gonna need some help fixing everything P:

EDIT: Fixed, somehow just PRESSING the edit button fixed it all up P:

Here is a set between Shadow Junpei and Shadow Junpei, and I'm glad to see that both players know what they are doing with their character in shadow form

Shadow Junpei Vs Shadow Kanji Part 1

Shadow Junpei Vs Shadow Kanji Part 2

Shadow Junpei vs Shadow Kanji Part 3

Shadow Junpei looks...surprisingly good. He has an insane meter gain thanks to Victory cry + Shadow meter generation, he gains ambiguous mixups with Shadow Fury, and his combos look daunting, but quite damaging. He certainly is a viable Shadow

the only real downside I see...he has his same autocombo as normal junpei... lol

But yeah shadow fury plus victory cry plus 67 HIT COMBOS.... yeah we're gonna fuck shit up.

Update announced... anybody have a (reasonable) Junpei change wishlist? Without just saying something vague like "buff his pre-VC damage" and calling it a day.

He seems to already have solid pressure once he's in, but can't stay in people's faces well after a midscreen conversion. Maybe less recovery on the bunt attack so he can get back to oki quicker? Recovery on his attacks in general could use some tweaking.

Something that confused me watching videos is the inconsistency of the Clean Hit property on 236A/B and j.236A/B during VC. Sometimes he gets it and sometimes he doesn't, for no apparent reason. I saw a player having to burn 50 meter to OMC after j.236A with VC active and an anti-air CH 2B in the corner as the starter. With those conditions he should at least get some solid meterless damage, right?

Update announced... anybody have a (reasonable) Junpei change wishlist? Without just saying something vague like "buff his pre-VC damage" and calling it a day.

He seems to already have solid pressure once he's in, but can't stay in people's faces well after a midscreen conversion. Maybe less recovery on the bunt attack so he can get back to oki quicker? Recovery on his attacks in general could use some tweaking.

Something that confused me watching videos is the inconsistency of the Clean Hit property on 236A/B and j.236A/B during VC. Sometimes he gets it and sometimes he doesn't, for no apparent reason. I saw a player having to burn 50 meter to OMC after j.236A with VC active and an anti-air CH 2B in the corner as the starter. With those conditions he should at least get some solid meterless damage, right?

I thought about this ever since the "new version" was announced. To be honest, I don't know what they could change to make things better and that kinda worries me. Like, the character seems OK to me, they could take out some recovery in stuff like you mentioned, it would make him a little bit better but I don't think that's what he needs. The main problem is outside Victory Cry: He has absolute nothing going for him there. I wish he could at least get knockdowns but he can't. I think Junpei needs to be more solid outside of his install, it doesn't necessarily need to be a damage buff, even some corner carry would be nice.

And about the Clean Hits, there are no inconsistencies. According to Xie, all you need to do is hit them with the right spacing and it will clean hit everytime. If he doesn't get it, then the player might've messed up the spacing. Watch Gao or Hina matches later, they hit confirm pretty well with Junpei and are pretty solid with his Clean hits.

In that case, would it be totally unreasonable to remove the spacing requirements on Clean Hit and just give it to him on all bat attacks during VC no matter what?