HoudiniJr100

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Gameplay Discussion

Since the release of the game in arcades, he's being considered a mid-to-low tier character due to how his mechanic works. You need to be on point with your execution and get as much momentum as possible for Victory Cry. If you do that, he can be really good. Otherwise, he's lacking compared to the cast since most of his strenghts are only available in Victory Cry.

This is disappointing. :(

This is disappointing. :(

Nothing is disappointing about this character. /nothing/

Nothing is disappointing about this character. /nothing/

^ you right, though.  

I'm kind of a newbie, and i can already tell I'm gonna have to put a lot of work into him.  

And who cares about tiers? this is the most fun i've ever had playing a fighting game :3

Sorry if I'm asking a scrubby question, but I was reading through Junpei's Specials on his wiki page, and came across the Super Bunt. When it says "armor", can Junpei just soak up as many hits as he wants during the animation? If so, aw yisssss

Sorry if I'm asking a scrubby question, but I was reading through Junpei's Specials on his wiki page, and came across the Super Bunt. When it says "armor", can Junpei just soak up as many hits as he wants during the animation? If so, aw yisssss

Well, yes. I'm pretty sure it gets beat by lows though.

Ah, alright. Sorry, I've never really looked at technical stuff that much.  :sweatdrop: 

No need to apologize! We're all here to learn.

I got to play a bit of P4AU and Junpei is one of the characters I want to learn, because I'm a huge baseball fan. I love the concept, but executing it seems pretty difficult. Junpei seems to be one of the more technical characters in the game, especially since he's basically a "power up" character. What are some basic tips to score runs so I can get into Victory Mode?

I got to play a bit of P4AU and Junpei is one of the characters I want to learn, because I'm a huge baseball fan. I love the concept, but executing it seems pretty difficult. Junpei seems to be one of the more technical characters in the game, especially since he's basically a "power up" character. What are some basic tips to score runs so I can get into Victory Mode?

Alright, normally, you want to pay attention to your Bases and Outs. Strikes and Balls are secondary, don't worry too much about those.

When you get your bases full, you want to either score a Homerun or use OMB for more Runs. OMBs are useful if you're at 3 or less runs, otherwise, you're better off scoring Homeruns. For example, if you're at 5 runs (no bases), one simple bnb starting with j.B or 2B anti-air will get you to 10 runs with 50 SP.

About projectiles, use B+D most of the time to reflect them. No matter how confident you are about your reaction times, 5B is rather slow and some projectiles are almost impossible to react and reflect with that. B+D does the job well being fast and having invul. There are some situations you shouldn't use it though, for example, against projectiles such as Minazuki's survival knife, if he's far away, he can teleport and punish you.

Another important thing to watch out for with this mechanic: Throws. Even though throws have a good reward for Junpei in some situations, they're very risky to your baseball game. Simply because if you tech a throw, you get an Out. If your opponent tech your throw, you get an Out as well. Basically, if you get thrown, you're already losing even if you escape and if you try that, you're risking yourself more than you should. If you have 2 Outs, avoid any throw situation unless your bases are empty.

That's pretty much it, the rest is "hit and don't get hit".

Edited by Strife

Thank you so much for the tips. I already put my preorder in for P4AU, so I'm very excited for my copy to arrive! I'll definitely be practicing more with Junpei when it arrives.

Two Questions

1) How good is Junpei's head invuln special?

2) What is he saying when he uses it as a shadow?

He has no head invul special.

The bunt special.

That move is good for combos in general and pretty much a safe way to end blockstrings. Can be charged to prolong it's armor frames.

So you guys have trouble with Junpei challenges?  I'mma just post these here for you to solve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGbBEflkag&feature=youtu.be&a

My Solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvK5W040S8&list=UU4ybv5_4TpKgqkl14itcq0A
Game's Solution.

Alright, I'mma leave you guys be while I lurk the forums on how to actually play this character.  PEACE!!!

I have a silly question lol, are junpei's clean hits angle or timing based? and what exactly are the requirements to get clean hits?

Angle. All you need to do is hit the center of their hurtbox with his bat. 

Angle. All you need to do is hit the center of their hurtbox with his bat. 

Since we're on the subject, is the window for actually nailing the clean hit fairly small? Or is it more lenient?

Since we're on the subject, is the window for actually nailing the clean hit fairly small? Or is it more lenient?

Depends, some confirms may be easier than others.

Just one more day guys! (well for me anyways I know strife got the game early I think)

I might as well say right now that I'll do my best to sort-of investigate Junpei's reflecting Bat moves. Namely to see if his specials and supers can do it too like his DP and B attacks.

well I got to try out Junpei. He's actually fun to play when ya get a general idea how to use him. I won't be doing advanced stuff but he's fun to play. I just need to learn timing for his awakening super.

Clean hit timing is gonna take a long time to get used to. His normals are turning out to be deceptively good! He definitely feels stronger than I had initially thought though.

As for the matches I played, the Aigis matchup feels freaking AWFUL, although this is really my first time seriously getting into Persona, so I might just need to get gud.

vs Naoto seems pretty fun, lots of situations to punish stuff with Deathbound. Her j.B is a pain in the ass though.

Mitsuru is pretty much what I expected, just a battle of footsies.

the only fatal flaw I have with Junpei is the clean hits. when they happen, it's good. Timing however is hard. I think they work only in combos unless it's a super move