HoudiniJr100

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Gameplay Discussion

Shadow junpei has 2000 more health that goes into more survivability to get more runs though. And while 20% less damage is not good at least it also carries the "benefit" of allowing shadow junpei to score more rounds in a round he wins (more hits required). You lose the omb 10 run combos though

Whether or not it's worth it... Idk I don't really have enough knowledge to come to a definite conclusion.

Shadow junpei has 2000 more health that goes into more survivability to get more runs though. And while 20% less damage is not good at least it also carries the "benefit" of allowing shadow junpei to score more rounds in a round he wins (more hits required). You lose the omb 10 run combos though

Whether or not it's worth it... Idk I don't really have enough knowledge to come to a definite conclusion.

2K health does help, but I'd rather have homeruns + Burst to get those runs ASAP. But yeah, it's just an early opinion since I haven't played the game.

You can still use homerun, it delays access to shadow rampage or whatever it's called but it might be so bad. I also believe shadow characters get access to awakening supers from the beginning that might be good for junpei. Probably not though.

Then again, I'm not sure what kind of damage he can get with Shadow Frenzy outside of install. So I guess it might not have such a huge effect on his ability to get runs.

Idle speculation here, but is it fair in assuming anything that Yukiko's Dia is invulnerable to, Junpei can bat?

I mean, it could lead to some hilarious yet potential useful ideas, like batting Teddie's Circus Bear.

Heck, almost all of Teddie's items could be nulled by Junpei's bat if that were the case.

I can't really tell, but anything that seems to be a projectile can be reflected. I don't really know if it works with everything though, like Naoto's traps for instance.

Then again, I'm not sure what kind of damage he can get with Shadow Frenzy outside of install. So I guess it might not have such a huge effect on his ability to get runs.

Junpei only gets good damage out of Shadow Berserk with Victory Cry but unlike Chie, he can't use too much Supers in sucession for Unburstable damage. So more often than not, people will save their Burst to get out of those.

The good thing is that S.Junpei gets SP like crazy. I believe you can pretty much get 100 SP again if they Burst the first Shadow Berserk before they get their Burst back.

Edited by Strife

I was wondering when we would see more Junpei play. When I opened the vid I was bothered with it being a mirror match because that US Atlus stream has me infuriated with Mass Destruction but the play was amazing. I have to win a match at some point like the end of that first video. Also I'm starting to understand what that 2 round VS 3 round deal was about. If Junpei gets swept first round in a two round match hes probably going to lose unless the other player messes up really bad.

I thought this was pretty sick. Haven't seen that tech before. :ballJU:

Yeah, me too. It's not an unblockable since you need to OMC after they block Deathbound, but still pretty fast!

Yeah, me too. It's not an unblockable since you need to OMC after they block Deathbound, but still pretty fast!

Yep. Good for a gimmick if they're not expecting it, could probably sneak in a quick throw instead of the 2A as well. Nice to see Gao experimenting with stuff.

So guys, there were some Hina matches uploaded this morning and I found out some cool stuff that he did Vs. Teddie.

First off, 10:26.

You can see that Junpei's bases are full and he only scored a Run. As you all know, he's going to get 1 Run for any hit with his bat or projectile reflected now.

Now pay attention, Hina is trying to 5B the robot, he fails two times but then manages to hit it with j.B. No fireball afterwards but you can see that he scored a Run, he got it.

Now, 10:32.

Pause. You can see that Teddie is throwing an item, that item is the scooter key. If Teddie gets it, it will pass two times, if Junpei gets it, one time.

One second later at 10:33, Hina does 5B and Teddie blocks it. There's something strange though, a fireball was generated at the same time. That means Hina managed to hit the key in the ground. Now, you can say that he hit the red projectile behind Teddie but that projectile is only one hit right? It should've disappeared. It didn't.

So basically, Hina goes to 3 Runs for hiting the Key, but Teddie can still pick it up. Strange.

2 seconds later, 10:34.

Hina blocks the red projectile together with Teddie's 2B and mashes DP. Pause. The scooter is coming now. Yes, Junpei will bat the scooter and score yet another Run while avoiding it completely. He's at 4 Runs now.

10:37.

This one is a lot more common though, Hina sees the green projectile and gets to 5 Runs.

Hina went from 1 run to 5 runs only messing with Teddie's item shenanigans. At 10:41, he confirms a combo and gets to 11 runs, thus, activating Victory Cry.

I'm not sure if I'm on point with all that happened between 10:26 and 10:34 but this match-up is looking pretty interesting so far.

Edited by Strife

That's definitely interesting. I've looked over the video and paused it, and there should be no way Junpei could've hit the scooter key - it was on the ground below 5B's hitbox, and it was behind Teddie, as he gets pushed into it a second later, and the Firecracker hasn't reached Junpei yet. Logically speaking, there should be no way the key should have counted - I''m not even sure if it's classified as a projectile, as it does nothing by itself and no damage, unlike Dry Ice.

If Junpei can hit items before they reach the ground, that could make for some very interesting counters. Can he bat the bucket as Kintoki-Douji is throwing the initial one? Vanish Ball and Mystery Food X shouldn't be battable, they're considered projectiles, but who knows what Junpei might end up being able to do with them (whether intended or not).

My best guess? If you pause the video, as Teddie's blocking 5B, Firecracker just reaches the tip of 5B's hitbox, which might have caused the projectile, but the game doesn't register it as destroying the Firecracker. A split second after that Junpei's finished 5B's animation and the Firecracker has traveled away, which prevents it from being reflected again by the same attack.

Also unrelated, but Junpei gets knocked out by buckets, but the game does the fireworks and confetti display as if he was knocked out by an SP skill.

Sounds like neutral against anyone with a lot of projectiles will be more like playing neutral as a grappler than usual, punishing bad usage of projectiles with more progress towards Victory Cry, where the real fun (and damage) begins. Most of Junpei's moveset seems to be well suited to playing an anti-zoner game as well:

Sounds like neutral against anyone with a lot of projectiles will be more like playing neutral as a grappler than usual, punishing bad usage of projectiles with more progress towards Victory Cry, where the real fun (and damage) begins. Most of Junpei's moveset seems to be well suited to playing an anti-zoner game as well:

Well I know my plans when the game comes, Testing his Bat attacks against the various projectiles. To see if it works against certain ones (cough cough Naoto supers cough)

It would be pretty hilarious if you could SP Super Spin Swing all the bullets of Naotos machine gun super :yaaay:

It would be pretty hilarious if you could SP Super Spin Swing all the bullets of Naotos machine gun super :yaaay:

copnsidering it releases in a few days. Whoever is importing, FILM IT AND SEND IT TO US.

Gotta say Strife, lovin' those matchup thread first posts! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, figured I'd add some comedy to them :V

In other news though, I'm loving Junpei. Clean hit combos are so fun and everything feels hype. Definitely need to get more consistent with Clean hits midscreen though. "5B CL > Hop j.B CL > Repeat" feels a little weird.

Edited by Strife

Thanks, figured I'd add some comedy to them :V

In other news though, I'm loving Junpei. Clean hit combos are so fun and everything feels hype. Definitely need to get more consistent with Clean hits midscreen though. "5B CL > Hop j.B CL > Repeat" feels a little weird.

Sweet spots?

Also did ya test out the bat reflect?

Sweet spots?

Not yet, working on combos, neutral and movement first. :P

Sweet spots?

Haven' tested it out extensively myself, but from what I've done, it beats Naoto's Snipe, but loses to her SP Pistol A and SB versions. Fails against Teddie's Circus Bear.

So from what I've been told Junpei has a strong neutral game. What tools allow him to have a strong neutral?

Haven' tested it out extensively myself, but from what I've done, it beats Naoto's Snipe, but loses to her SP Pistol A and SB versions. Fails against Teddie's Circus Bear.

Does it beat The fear shot?

To be honest I didn't expect circus bear to be reflected....at all.

So from what I've been told Junpei has a strong neutral game. What tools allow him to have a strong neutral?

His neutral is ok, persona normals/Deathbound can cover a good space on the screen and j.B's hitbox + untech time on CH are really good. He can also reflect projectiles, even though it's hard, it can help a lot.

Other than that, 2B could be a little faster and 5B could hit a little further. He has problems against characters with a midrange poke that outranges his 5B (like Narukami's 5B for example).

Edited by Strife

So where would he fall on a tier list? I know It's early but!!!!!!!  :AB:

Since the release of the game in arcades, he's being considered a mid-to-low tier character due to how his mechanic works. You need to be on point with your execution and get as much momentum as possible for Victory Cry. If you do that, he can be really good. Otherwise, he's lacking compared to the cast since most of his strenghts are only available in Victory Cry.

Edited by Strife