HoudiniJr100

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Gameplay Discussion

the only fatal flaw I have with Junpei is the clean hits. when they happen, it's good. Timing however is hard. I think they work only in combos unless it's a super move

As a ~somewhat~ new to fighting game player, I thought it was gonna be really hard, but it's not too bad.   

Yeah, they only work in combos, because their purpose is to help extend combos.  

Alright so I'm blown away by the consistently high damage potential of this character. I finally got clean hits down and I'm never pulling anything less than around 3K off of just about ANY confirm. My only issue now is utilizing AoA because some asshat at Arcsys decided to make them 18 hits, and we get like 5K off of it so its making me pretty sad, haha.

As a ~somewhat~ new to fighting game player, I thought it was gonna be really hard, but it's not too bad.   

Yeah, they only work in combos, because their purpose is to help extend combos.  

Actually, no. They do work outside of combos if the spacing is right. It's good to learn how to convert from those.

Actually, no. They do work outside of combos if the spacing is right. It's good to learn how to convert from those.

They do? I was trying to get a clean hit from every which angle in training mode and could only get it after doing a combo.

What's the best ender for his non victory cry combos, the tornado bat swing or the super bunt?

They do? I was trying to get a clean hit from every which angle in training mode and could only get it after doing a combo.

What's the best ender for his non victory cry combos, the tornado bat swing or the super bunt?

I personally go for bunt. It leaves you closer to them which makes for easier 5A oki. Fortunately Junpei's pressure is the same in both modes, so even without 10 runs, he's no slouch once he gets people blocking.

Definitely Bunt. You should only finish with Tornado for a Super afterwards or in the corner to make them tech in the air for a reset.

So is it supposed to be really difficult to confirm into Victory Cry stuff midscreen with no meter? Because the only thing I can ever use to enter into a Clean Hit combo is ~5A > 5AA > 2C~ and it has to be right next to the opponent, otherwise they recover to block 2C.

Would it be better just to do a regular combo and end with bunt or some other knockdown and build meter for a OMC combo that's easier to hit confirm?

So is it supposed to be really difficult to confirm into Victory Cry stuff midscreen with no meter? Because the only thing I can ever use to enter into a Clean Hit combo is ~5A > 5AA > 2C~ and it has to be right next to the opponent, otherwise they recover to block 2C.

Would it be better just to do a regular combo and end with bunt or some other knockdown and build meter for a OMC combo that's easier to hit confirm?

Yeah, it is. "5AA > 2C > 5C > Clean hits" routes are pretty easy easy though, Just need to get used to the spacing before using 2C. 

Found something strange out

Was playing with my buddies and...

214C/D auto corrects if the opponent air turns before the persona comes out

I airturned away from my friend (junpei) and he flew out behind junpei. Word of warning lol

Found something strange out

Was playing with my buddies and...

214C/D auto corrects if the opponent air turns before the persona comes out

I airturned away from my friend (junpei) and he flew out behind junpei. Word of warning lol

This auto correct only happens with the D version as far as I remember. Meaning, if you jump and air turn j.214D, Trismegistus will appear in the direction Junpei's facing. Using j.214C, he's still going to fall in the direction Junpei was before.

I'm not 100% sure though.

So I find myself constantly whiffing my bat supers midscreen after standard j.B > j.B > j.236A combos and its getting me killed super hard. Is there anything I'm missing? Do I omit one j.B? It randomly happens with other confirms as well.

FYI the combo Im trying is j.B CH > 2A > 2B > 5B > j.B > j.B > j.236A > 236236A.

Also, how do I combo 2 supers together in big damage combos? I see that you can somehow combo his regular bat super into his 214214C/D super, and I have idea how to make it work.

Just make sure you mash the input so the super comes out as soon as finish 236A, and for the two supers when you do the first one A and B do different hits A knocks them in the air, and B puts them in floor slide state, so just do 214214D as they're sliding along the floor and the persona will grab them.

You should be doing 236236D after J236A/B, as it's the fastest version of homerun, pretty much guaranteeing the hit as long as you do it fast enough. Unlike the other bat supers which only work from air tornado when you're close enough to the ground/in the corner.

This auto correct only happens with the D version as far as I remember. Meaning, if you jump and air turn j.214D, Trismegistus will appear in the direction Junpei's facing. Using j.214C, he's still going to fall in the direction Junpei was before.

I'm not 100% sure though.

The thing is though, I air turned (I wasn't Junpei) and the persona came out behind Junpei, as if I was on that side.

Meaning, the opponent can change where your Persona lands with that special by air turning, giving them a safer advance if they are paying attention.

So I find myself constantly whiffing my bat supers midscreen after standard j.B > j.B > j.236A combos and its getting me killed super hard. Is there anything I'm missing? Do I omit one j.B? It randomly happens with other confirms as well.

FYI the combo Im trying is j.B CH > 2A > 2B > 5B > j.B > j.B > j.236A > 236236A.

Also, how do I combo 2 supers together in big damage combos? I see that you can somehow combo his regular bat super into his 214214C/D super, and I have idea how to make it work.

SuperOast already answered the first question but I'd like to add: The thing with the D version is that it freezes the screen for more time, allowing you to swing with A or C for the Homerun. The speed of the swing is basically the same as the other ones.

As for the second question, you can do that by using the B clean hit with 236236A/B, then going for 214214CD.

The only problem with this is that it's combo dependant. Longer combos won't let you connect 214214CD even if you do get the clean hit on 236236A/B.

Honestly, I never go for these. The extra damage from 236236A/B clean hit is really small and will make you lose 50 SP over nothing. Just go directly into 214214CD if you want big damage.

Edited by Strife

My game arrives tomorrow, and I'm currently torn between my old mains and new potential pickups. It's funny: I never paid that much attention to Junpei, but right now, he's close to the top of my list. I mean, he's basically a baseball version of Pucci from JoJo ASB. Even if I end up not picking him up, I just want you to know that his wiki page is awesome and might be the biggest reason he's looking so interesting to me.

Although I got the game a week ago, I decided to get solo content out of the way first (IE, story mode) and just started trying out Junpei online for the first time today. I feel somewhat confident when it comes to combos and pressure/mix-ups though I'm not sure what I should do for his neutral game, anyone has an advice?

Although I got the game a week ago, I decided to get solo content out of the way first (IE, story mode) and just started trying out Junpei online for the first time today. I feel somewhat confident when it comes to combos and pressure/mix-ups though I'm not sure what I should do for his neutral game, anyone has an advice?

• Long Range: j.D, j.2D, 2D, Deathbound, Bat attacks to reflect projectiles.
  • Mid Range: j.B, j.C, 5B, 5C, 2C, Sweep.
  • Close Range: j.B, j.A, 5A, 5AA, 2A, 5B, 2B, Sweep.

That's basically what you want to use depending on where you are.

Really helpful! Thanks! I mostly struggle at mid-range so I'll try that out next time I play or practice.

After a short training session, it seems that the wiki page can be made even better by fixing some errors and adding more info. It'd also be nice to have the wiki and the baseball thread match each other, though I guess we won't even need a thread at that point.

Here's a short list of things I think are worth noting on the page.

- The ball count explanation is wrong: you have to get your bat attacks blocked, not block the enemy attack.
- This might be just because I know nothing of baseball, but I assumed that scoring a run clears all the bases, even though it doesn't. It doesn't help that homeruns do clear the bases. Maybe the wording should be clarified a bit?
- Speaking of which, the wiki doesn't explain the homeruns.
- Even if it's a gimmick, it's worth mentioning that Full Count gives FC to bat moves.
- It seems that Clean Hits on B normals also slightly increase pushback. At least that's the only explanation I found behind me dropping the usual 5B 2B 2AB OMC 5B 2B combos while in Victory Cry :v:
- Auto-combo automatically scores a Clean Hit on 236A (if in Victory Cry) and gets a homerun on 236236A. Probably worth mentioning just so people don't try to get a Clean Hit off the super.
- Listing possible trajectories of reflected fireballs might be important to explain Junpei's long-range game. It's usually pretty obvious, but stuff like homeruns shooting fireballs upwards might cost games unless you know about it.
- Speaking of which, if you reflect a fireball with a super, it gets stronger.
- AOA~C counts as two bat hits, which isn't that obvious with the current wording.
- There's that Persona side switch with 2D that Xie mentioned, though I'm not sure if it's worth writing about on the wiki. It probably is.
- FA has invuls on both the start-up and the swing.
- Air throw is a bat attack! Like, I know the sprite shows as much, but it actually scores runs!
- The supers don't require Victory Cry to score Clean Hits.
- The Awakening super's follow-ups are all the same (as in, you can press B and D and still score a homerun).
- Junpei actually can reflect multi-hit projectiles, as you can easily test with Yu's EX Zio. He can't reflect stuff like Ziodyne because of some other condition, probably hitbox-related (can't reflect anything when it's already inside of you or something like that). Even 236A can't reflect that.

Guys guys GUYS, when you get 10 Runs... this is absolutely the feel, and this is absolutely the theme:

I am the Louisville of my Slugger
Wood is my body and Run is my blood
I have created over a thousand Homeruns
Unknown to Outs, Nor known to Walks
Have withstood pain to create many Innings
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, Unlimited Bat Works

Don't remember if strife ever mentioned this on the boards so I might as well do it just in case.

After setting up 5D oki in the corner, you wanna get a knockdown while trismegistus is still out, as it'll let you get a lot of damage from them being in the air, and most of his mixup options knockdown. Examples would be J.2A, sweep, and 236C/D/SB. After hitting any of these moves, you can follow up with 5B > 5C to combo off trismegistus poking at them, and you can get oki again.

Also, 236236D~A is 0 frames after super flash, so it's definitely his best reversal. (It's still blockable after super flash for whatever reason though, but if they mistime a safe jump or they like dping/supering your reversals, they're going to get blown up for it.)