Shinsyn

[P4AU] Yu Narukami - Gameplay Discussion

I could live with the Cross Slash and Shiden damage reductions, but was it fair to remove its invinciibility. The 2C thing slightly hurts but I think we can deal.

Of course it was fair, Issen punished /walking/ before the balance patch. That move should have never existed in the first place... It's still really fast.

I never actually looked at the notes for Narukami until now. 

I got sad when I heard my B lion bounce was gone. ;_;

I got sad when I heard my B lion bounce was gone. ;_;

You have much better stuff now. It'll be okay.

S.Yu has around 10k~11k HP. Definitely more than 10k.

its already known that shadows each have 2k more health than their non-shadows, so he has 11.5k health.

its already known that shadows each have 2k more health than their non-shadows, so he has 11.5k health.

Makes sense as a. the shadows has no burst or awakening and b. gives players options against a certain match up for example I know i'm going to play S. Yu vs Kanji cause he can inflict damage awaken or not so the hp boost helps. Plus as his health is still the greatest ( still 10,500 i think plus the shadow version boost) I need some that can quickly take his health quick.

Hello! I hope it is okay for me to post this in this thread. It is to my understanding that P4AU will be for both PS and Xbox consoles. I would like to pick it up, I still have my copy of P4A which I play time to time but I am not very good. Is P4A Narukami still a good base in preparation for P4AU Yu? Or has he changed too much to get a good grasp  of the character in AU?

Hello! I hope it is okay for me to post this in this thread. It is to my understanding that P4AU will be for both PS and Xbox consoles. I would like to pick it up, I still have my copy of P4A which I play time to time but I am not very good. Is P4A Narukami still a good base in preparation for P4AU Yu? Or has he changed too much to get a good grasp  of the character in AU?

Yes, he's still a good base for P4AU. Most of his normals are untouched, so learning how to use them now will help you later. The only big thing about him that changed is that you're not going to use his okizeme (Sweep > 5D~D) anymore. At least not as much as before.

Yes, he's still a good base for P4AU. Most of his normals are untouched, so learning how to use them now will help you later. The only big thing about him that changed is that you're not going to use his okizeme (Sweep > 5D~D) anymore. At least not as much as before.

Thank you! I really like Narukami and it's fun to play as him. Pretty much the only reason I still open the game time to time.

Second question to anyone. Is there a section where I can see the Shadow Version of Yu? I am curious to the differences. I'll just look around the boards.

Thank you! I really like Narukami and it's fun to play as him. Pretty much the only reason I still open the game time to time.

Second question to anyone. Is there a section where I can see the Shadow Version of Yu? I am curious to the differences. I'll just look around the boards.

Shadow Mode differences for every character:

Similar to the Slash/Bust styles of characters found in the Samurai Showdown series, almost every character in the game has a Shadow Mode that plays slightly differently from their normal versions.

• Selectable at the character select screen, can not change between rounds.
    • Elizabeth, both versions of Sho, and Shadow Labrys do not have Shadow Modes.
    • Normal Labrys DOES have a Shadow Mode, so there is Normal Labrys in Shadow Mode as well as Shadow Labrys.
  • Awakening and Burst replaced with Shadow Berserk Mode. Press A+C+D with 100 SP to activate. Can be canceled into anytime a normal character would be able to One More Burst.
    • While in Shadow Berserk Mode, Shadow characters can cancel special attacks into special attacks for free and have unlimited SP for a limited time.
    • Performing attacks that cost SP will reduce the amount of time Shadow Berserk is active.
  • Shadow Mode characters have 2000 extra HP when compared to their normal counterparts, S.Narukami has 11500 HP for example.
  • SP Meter carries over between rounds for Shadow Mode characters
  • If a round ends while a Shadow Character is in Shadow Berserk mode, they will start the next round with half the SP they had during Shadow Berserk in the previous round.
  • While Shadow Mode characters can not go into Awakening, they can perform Awakening Supers anytime for 50 SP.
  • Shadow Mode character's attacks do 20% less damage than their normal counterparts.
  • Shadow Mode characters are stated to gain SP faster than their normal counterparts.
  • Shadow Mode characters have the old auto-combos from P4U.

Here are some combo videos showing what his Shadow version can do:

01 - 02 - 03

Edited by Strife

Yes, his 5D can still be used as an okizeme, and is still a good move, but for okizeme, you will find yourself using  raging Lion feints  as they will grant you a free mixup, and allow you to do a safe jump (doing a jB after a Lion feint just before touching the ground will beat most of the reversals : if the opponent uses his DP, you will land in time to block it)

Are there any practical uses for 5D?

It seems pretty situational now

I haven't watched vids in a bit but I recall seeing it used more in blockstrings now since it's a lot faster. Such as 5B 5C 5D. It forces them to jump out or avoid/punish it some way, otherwise you get some more pressure.

Transcripts of this S.Narukami combo video (we need a combo thread btw)

Back Throw> SB> 236CD> 236236C (OMC)> dash 214B> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~3900

Back Throw> SB> dash 2AB> 236C> 214AB> 214CD> 214214C> 2B(1)> 5C> 236A> B+D(1)> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~4800

Throw> SB> dash 5B> 5C> 214AB> 214CD> 214214C> 2B(1)> 5C> 236A> B+D(1)> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~4600

Back Throw> SB> j.236CD> j.236C> j.214A> 214CD> 214214C> 2B(1)> 5C> 236A> B+D(1)> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~5090

FC 2B> 5C> j.236C> SB> j.236C> j.214A> 214C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 236CD> B+D(1)> 236236B> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~5900

FC 2B> 5C> j.236C> SB> j.236C> j.214A> 214D> 214214C> 2B(1)> 5C> 214AB> 214CD> 214214C> 2B(1)> 214214CD, Damage: ~6200

2A> 2B> 5C> 214D> SB> dash 5C> 236CD> 214B> j.214A> 5C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 236CD> B+D(1)> 236236B> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~5400

5B> 5C> 214D> SB> dash 5C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 236CD> B+D(1)> 236236B> 5C> 2C> 214B> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~5700

5B> 5C> 214D> SB> dash 5C> j.236C> j.214A> j.236D> 5C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> B+D(1)> 236236B> 214214C> 236236AB, Damage: ~6100

5C> 214D> SB> dash 5C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> 236CD> 214B> j.214A> 5C> 214AB> 2AB> 236C> B+D(1)> 236236B> dash 5C> B+D(1)> 236236B> 214214CD, Damage: ~7300

Some may be character specific.

Shiden nerf:

http://youtu.be/x6L3ld8_zDs?t=13m

RIP another reversal tool.

The trade looks wonky but a bit favorable. It looks like you can pick up with 5A or 5B if you're quick enough. But the question is it worth it? Decisions decisions. "shrugs shoulders"

Anyways, those S.Narukami combos off simple throw confirms look really deadly. It's only a matter of time before a "touch of death" combo can be found with him. It'll probably be impractical but oh well S.Burst combos sort of make the impractical practical anyways.

I haven't watched vids in a bit but I recall seeing it used more in blockstrings now since it's a lot faster. Such as 5B 5C 5D. It forces them to jump out or avoid/punish it some way, otherwise you get some more pressure.

That's awesome. It seems like 5B > 5C > 5D will be my new go-to blockstring, heh.

So is there anything of value in his command throw/236B? I was hoping we'd get more mix-up options off that but it seems like 236A is combo fodder and ... that's it.

Does anyone know if 2C is still a viable move in a blockstring? Ive been seeing Yu's backdash or forward dash after it with great results but don't know if this was before or after the blockstun change. Overall would you guys say Yu is better in this game?

So Shinsyn has decided to step-down as the moderator for the Yu Narukami forums.

And I am happy to announce that I will be stepping in as the moderator for these forums! i'll try my best to keep it up to date. I may or may not try to link/edit in recent match footages since it hasn't been touched for a while.

Looking forward to discussing stuff when p4u2 hits.