pktazn

[P4AU] Yukiko Amagi Gameplay Discussion

I appreciate the advice, and the Skype group invitation. I don't really use Skype at all though, let alone my PC. Though, if that changes anytime soon I'd like to.

I'm at least glad to know SB Agi isn't imperative to her play

'Easy' midscreen Shadow Yukiko combo:

5AA > 5BB > 5C > 2C > Shadow Fury > 2C > 214AB > 5C > 214A > 214214D > 214CD > 236236D > 214CD > 214CD > 214CD

Does around 4.5k and gets Fire Boost 8. You can also do it off a throw (straight into Shadow Fury then continues as above). You can also omit the last 214CD to try and set up instead. Works off a lot of stuff and relatively burst safe.

Haven't really gotten anything worthwhile in the corner - it feels like she really prefers midscreen starters since Maragidyne > Agidyne is better for damage and getting levels than Agidyne x 2.

'Easy' midscreen Shadow Yukiko combo:

5AA > 5BB > 5C > 2C > Shadow Fury > 2C > 214AB > 5C > 214A > 214214D > 214CD > 236236D > 214CD > 214CD > 214CD

Does around 4.5k and gets Fire Boost 8. You can also do it off a throw (straight into Shadow Fury then continues as above). You can also omit the last 214CD to try and set up instead. Works off a lot of stuff and relatively burst safe.

Haven't really gotten anything worthwhile in the corner - it feels like she really prefers midscreen starters since Maragidyne > Agidyne is better for damage and getting levels than Agidyne x 2.

Yeah damage midscreen is overall better, but you have nice things with S.Yukiko in the corner, like the combo I posted earlier : 5AA>236A>S.Fury>236AB> delay 236D>214CD>214CD>release B>214CD>214CD>release A>5C>214B> cancel first hit by 214D : if you do it at perfect height, you force a knockdown into UB reset of your choice, if not the opponent can tech in the air, but can eat serious damage if he hasn't air reversal options ; to give an idea, if you had lv1 before beginning this combo you end up at lv 9 and can do this :

-214214AB>dash forward >2AB>214AB>236AB>5C>release B> 236D>dash forward >5C>release A > 236236CD for around 7.5k. you can also replace the EX vermilion bird by instant air backdash >j214214A to bait DPs/bad rolls  (the combo also works from this just fine)

Also, you have this blockstring into UB in the corner : if done right, the only holes to DP is between the A agi release explosions, and you will be too far for most of the DPs to reach.

-5A(A)>214A(1)> S.fury>236A>214A(1)>214B(2)>236AB>236CD>release A>214D >release B>236236CD (UB)> 2AB >236A>236236C for 3.5k lv0

You can adapt this combo depending on how far you were when the opponent blocked 5A (you can omit the second 214A from max range 5A).

This setup,even though it is situational and kinda weak,  can force bad bursts/guard cancels/guard cancel rolls. the damage itself becomes more significant from lv3 onwards, so consider using it if you managed to rack up boosts. you can also go for 236C/236D reset for more damage, but this is easier to escape

If it's not the case you can forsake the UB for free level-ups : the blockstun provided by 236CD and 236AB should let you easily go to lv8, and work from there. you can also get pressure options/openings while in shadow fury once the opponent tries to disrespect the UB setup !

After thinking it for a while I have decided to pick Yukiko as my sub. What would you recommend me to start?

Also. who are the best Japanese Yukiko players? I need to watch videos to have a better idea of how to do good blockstrings and stuff.

Note: I know some stuff from the past game but it is reaaaally basic.

We're still alive !! but the forum isn't because Yukiko players aren't that numerous ! we're still here to answer any questions/share stuff (already did my share with S.Yukiko, or how to make hard things harder). So yeah, rise from your grave Yukiko xD !

I'd love to help out but I feel that my skills as a Yukiko player have been dwindling online and therefore I'm seriously not having fun with P4U2 netplay at all. If I knew how to study frame data and such I'd begin working on a movelist and combo guide videos in an effort to attract more Yukiko players.

We have a Yukiko Skype group that is sometimes active. If you want in just post/pm me your skype and I'll put you in. 

Also S-hold Vermillion Bird (AKA BRAVE BIRD) has invul from startup to recovery. Unpunishable because you're recovering but you're invul, when recovery ends you can just block. I tried everything lol. One time I punished someone trying to punish Vermillion Bird with my 2a because the button whiffed due to invul. Da best.

can someone enlighten me on how Yukiko's pressure works with her delayed attacks? And how I should be using fans in neutral?

5AA is 0 on block, it's okay for staggers and will be used to go into throws/throw baits. 5AA airturn air backdasj ja land, buttons is okay, can get 2b'd if they're watching out. You gotta be aware of how big Yukiko's buttons are, they're slow ;-; But they hold decent range and can easily hit someone blindly running at you if they time it right. Sweep is godlike at 10f startup, lots of range, low profile, and 5 active frames.

Fans are meh this game, no where near as good as last game. Pretty much used to cover Konohana Sakuya or make the opponent block as you try to back off. 2B is a bad antiair due to lots of recovery (40 something) and less hit/blockstun. Regardless, they are an important part of her neutral game that can't be ignored. They still make a valuable zoning tool and she can't live without it. Konohana Sakuya is your bro. Protect her with fans or build space with fans.

It feels like Yukiko has a lot of bad match ups in this game.  So I went to check the vs. forums and most of them are empty  :(

It's kind of frustrating that the P4U2 MU threads that are up are barely empty, but in time I am hoping more people will be directed there to help sort out any problems and fallacies they have regarding certain matchups. After all, that's what it's there for, right?

which matchups are you having trouble with?

Let's start with Sho and Minazuki (spelling?).  Once I block a 5a (or get hit) I fell like I have no way of getting away from them for the rest of the fight unless they really mess up. 

Let's start with Sho and Minazuki (spelling?).  Once I block a 5a (or get hit) I fell like I have no way of getting away from them for the rest of the fight unless they really mess up. 

I kinda feel the same way. That autocombo + corner pressure kills Yukiko quite quickly even if you have good defense. She just doesn't have a good answer (or reversal, I guess) to her aerial blind spot.

Btw, I just picked up the game early this month (after not playing FGs seriously since Tekken 3 and some SF4 just to learn the input commands) and for some reason, I kept going back to Yukiko even after reading around that she isn't newbie-friendly and isn't that good anymore. But what the heck, I like her gameplay design and even if I know playing her on pad isn't the best idea, I'm willing to stick with her.

Having said that, I've yet to learn all her mixups/pressure strings and I have trouble finding them. I know her BnBs and super finishers and can more or less zone with her now but I realize that it won't get me far if the opponent knows how to defend and turtle.

So, what are her mixups? Is the old P4A guide in the archives still applicable to this version?

Yukiko is not strong with mixups, her gameplan is more about unblockable setups (Fire break, 1,2,3D->2A, etc) and catching people while trying to get to you (airbackdash j.B CH, throwing 236C in blockstrings when they like to roll, etc). Also, some people tend to jump alot to abuse her weak anti-air, so you might try to iAD airthrow on occasion, that works better that you probably expect (and our airthrow deals nice dmg + j.1D oki).

to add if the enemy is turtling it might be good idea to put up fire break since they probably won't have an answer for it. turtlers will be scared if you continue to raise up fire levels and fire breaks but it is kind of risky since they might rush you down. i don't know how effective that is but i see ogi do it and it's always nice to have a fire break.

5aa stagger then air turn/grab is ok imo though it's kind of obvious. you can bait grabs this way with j.c though and get a combo off of it

Got it. Air throw AA and looks like threatening with fire break and (probably) fire levels, and going for unblockable setups is really the way to go. Thanks guys, I will focus on that.

Edit: Btw, what's the utility of 4/5/6D? Does it combo into anything?

Well idk how reliable my information is but how I use it sometimes is while zoning midscreen at times (not all the time since it's a bit unsafe). If you want Kaguya to go fullscreen (more or less) use 6D and all that jazz, you probably know that depending on how you position the stick. Sometimes I use it once in a while on offense while the enemy is blocking. It's rather unsafe so you can't be too obvious with it but throwing it out once in a while is fine IMO. (for example like 5AA > 2C > 5B > 4D). If you manage to land the 4D in pressure you can run up and hit with a 2D and continue doing some pressure stuff. It's also starts FC combos with her SB Agi or Dancing Flames, and while I can do those combos reliably I can't really tell you how useful it is to use her D move to fish out a FC. Someone more skilled can probably tell you about that

Yukiko is not strong with mixups, her gameplan is more about unblockable setups (Fire break, 1,2,3D->2A, etc) and catching people while trying to get to you (airbackdash j.B CH, throwing 236C in blockstrings when they like to roll, etc). Also, some people tend to jump alot to abuse her weak anti-air, so you might try to iAD airthrow on occasion, that works better that you probably expect (and our airthrow deals nice dmg + j.1D oki).

The unblockable itself is a pretty strong level 0 mixup.  Oki 2D, run up, block or meaty 2A.   Legit 50/50, they have to either DP to avoid the unblockable or block to avoid being baited.  Otherwise use a lot of stagger 2As, reset into 5D, do delayed Agi detonations, etc. to get them to try to mash out and try to frametrap them, or if they over-respect you start throwing out 2D and going for unblockable/bait mixups.

S.Yukiko has troubles overall, but she has a pack of nice gimmicks and deadly S.fury combos, in exchange for an abysmal defense (you don't have a burst and can't spend your meter liberally on guard cancels) and old auto-combo (goodbye UBs). She is still definitely one of the more viable Shadows because of her ability to get to lv 9 really easily, be it in combos or on blocking opponents !