Colpevole

[P4AU] Chie Satonaka Gameplay Discussion

P4U2_Header_Gameplay_Discussion.png

Here we can discuss all the new gameplay changes we see, but won't be able to try out for the next 6 months! Be sure to follow all site rules and keep discussion related to P4U2 Chie only.

Chie Satonaka Change List
  • Sweep > 5D/2D no longer works as a relevant oki/setplay tool.
  • Number of Persona cards reduced from 4 to 3.
  • Move Change: 2C. 3 hit Persona normal with slow startup and recovery. Causes short freeze duration on hit and can be chained into from different moves than before. 1.1 change: can be dash canceled.
  • New Move: Lunge Punch (214A/B). Can be canceled into and out of with other specials. Chie steps back, winds up and then lunges forward with her fist extended. Looks similar to Yun's lunge in 3rd strike. A version is quick and easy to combo into. B version has Chie step far back before lunging forward. SB version is similar to B, but is two hits and looks decent on block.
  • DP active and recovery frames appear to be the same, but the recovery is now in fatal recovery state, letting any hit be a fatal starter.
  • j.2B added, same as the second hit of j.BB.
  • Second hit of auto combo is a 2 hit hook kick that vacuums opponents in.
  • 2B forces stand on hit.
  • Agneyastra instantly ends if Chie/Tomoe gets hit.
  • SB God's Hand causes 2 fists to come down, one after the other.
  • 5/2DD knocks opponent back, causes wall bounce in the corner. Seems to help prevent 5/2DD being used for setplay.
  • Shadow Chie can reportedly 2A to 7k, maybe more
  • AoA looks noticeably slower
  • C Black Spot has not changed in that it is still a hilarious punish to Narukami's DP.
  • B Lunge > C Black Spot might push opponent back too far to get a good/any punish.
  • j.D series looks considerably harder to combo off of. Chie stays in the air for far longer now after them.
  • D Blackspot is chargeable; unknown what this does
  • 5C has the persona come out a bit behind Chie now instead of infront of her. This shortens the range but keeps the persona safer now. 1.1 change: 5C after a dash has longer range.
  • 5DD can be setup after B Skull Cracker.
  • 5DD > j.BB > j.8D worked, no j.A needed.
  • Power Charge was changed: A version gives full red charge (level 1), B version gives yellow (level 2), and SB has the same speed as B but gives full charge (level 3)
  • 5A now neutral on block (down from +1). Has less active frames, but also almost half the recovery time. 1.1 change: 5A increased blockstun, not sure if this increases recovery/advantage on block.
  • Blackspot change: D Blackspot now +2 on block (down from +12). SB Blackspot now -6 (down from +6).
  • Will be updated with additional information as it is gathered and posted.

Alright, fine, I'll make discussion lol. Kinda glad that a lot of Chie's annoying stuff is gone, but what do people think about 2B forcing stand on hit? Might make pressure/combo decisions a lot different, especially with B Skull Cracker being the main way to go into 5/2DD now apparently. Also, despite the range getting nerfed, 5C putting the persona behind Chie is really nice too IMO. Keeps it safer.

Wasn't going to say anything since I didn't play Chie in P4U and am mostly interested in her in P4U2 but this forum is as quiet as a tomb so I guess I'll join in. 5C goes behind her now? I didn't notice a difference. Guess I need to look out for that more but I think that would indeed make it a safer poke, which is good because she only has 3 persona cards to work with.

5/2DD oki does indeed still work from Skullcracker ender in the corner but from what I've seen, because 5/2DD doesn't seem to OTG, people can delay tech to escape most of it. Need to see more though. Maybe some Chies are doing it wrong. In any case, it's still good to get at least one good mixup in though.

Right now, midscreen mixup in general seems to be pretty weak with the loss of the old oki but it's still pretty early. People still need time to learn new setups. Tetsu! did some interesting stuff from rampage OMC in his sets. I also saw a Chie experimenting with low to the ground jD from neutral. Not sure how good that's going to be in the long run though.

Also, now that training mode has been added to the arcade, I hope we'll see more SB God Hand combos ^,^

Edited by RurouniLoneWolf

Well, I never liked the midscreen mixup because it wasn't anywhere near as safe as the corner one, so I'm not too overly sad about the loss of midscreen sweep > 5DD. Also I felt rampage OMC was really weak as mixup late into P4A's life, but IDK how much they changed SB Rampage now, so maybe OMC is the only "metered" mixup she has now. With the way j.D now changes her jump arc, I have no idea how that's going to work in neutral now lol. It was okay before, but less cards might make it just too risky in P4U2.

As far as SB God's Hand goes... I'm hoping to see some setups to OTG after it lol. Two strikes SHOULD mean you get more time to combo after? At least I'd think so.

Yeah, I'm also a bit skeptical about that jD experiment managing to be useful in the long run for that same reason but it might still be good once in a blue moon. Hmmm, I never considered that but SB God Hand as a combo extender would be pretty neat. Whether it is possible, probably depends on how quickly Chie recovers from the animation. Wish there was more footage of it so I can get a better idea if it's possible.

I don't think this is a change, but I have a question about SB Skull Cracker. How come I've seen it come out without a preemptive Rampage? I can't figure it out.

That's a glitch that already exists in P4A. Air SB Rampage keeps your air momentum on startup, so if you do it right before you fall to the ground, the startup is cancelled and 236 stays in the input buffer, so you get an "instant" Skull Cracker by pressing a button afterwards.

It's kind of hilarious that it's still in P4U2. All they'd have to do is change how air SB Rampage retains your air momentum on startup, and bam it's gone.

It's kind of hilarious that it's still in P4U2. All they'd have to do is change how air SB Rampage retains your air momentum on startup, and bam it's gone.

I guess it wasn't a big deal to them, or they figured she should keep it.

Speaking on P4U2, I'd have to say aside from the loss of oki, Chie may be getting stronger from the looks of it. I wonder if she could do anything with jB oki or 2A oki.

And I wonder how useful j2B will be. Since it isn't restricted to a follow up.

Stronger? Hmmm, not sure I'd say she's stronger but rather, now that her old oki has been weakened, a lot of her other pros that got outshined by the oki before are now taking center stage in her game plan. I was originally worried about midscreen mixup but recent Chie footage seems to be positive. A combination of 5A stagger pressure, hop cancel jCs, dash cancels and even some regular jump jCs when least expected are making her midscreen mixup seem promising.

Comparing jB and jBBs hitboxes, j2B might have some good uses in neutral because the hitbox is much wider vertically than jB's hitbox. It pretty much covers the entire space directly in front of her. There might also be some combo implications if j2B has different properties on hit than jBB.

to be fair, her midscreen oki was never that good to begin with, so it being gone doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have to say I think she definitely looks stronger. More damage, more pressure, more neutral options, more damage off j.D, more... everything lol. And new DP combos too, like wtf. Oh, and freeze now too. I'm pretty excited at least.

DP combos? Haven't seen those yet. I'll have to dig them up later. I'm definitely excited for P4U2 Chie. This is pretty much the Chie I wanted in P4A. Really like her pressure now.

Oh and if you guys haven't watched the Hae-Chan vs Shikk (Narukami) footage in the new Stream Archives thread, you should give them a watch. dat pressure.I wonder if SB Lunge is + on block on it's own? Hae-Chan used it at the end of his blockstrings twice and then went straight into more pressure. Probably going to have to wait for frame data to find out. Saw Shikk block the first wave of D meteors and then jump out of the rest twice when he was at full screen ;.; Makes sense though due to the addition of SB Meteors to her game. Based on what I've seen and know, the optimal ranges for each meteor is probably C Meteor = closest 1/3rd of the screen, D Meteor = the middle 1/3rd of the screen and SB Meteor = the furthest 1/3rd of the screen. Need more footage to confirm that though.

does anyone know if the 2nd fist in ex god's hand is also a high?? if so, i remember seeing footage of a chie omc-ing the first fist and then going low with 2a and the 2nd fist still came out. it's high meter usage in order to use it, but still good for that last hit.

Haven't seen it hit high personally but I've also only seen it in combos. It would be interesting if it was but I don't think I'd ever use it personally. That's a lot of meter ;.;

Something I noticed that I didn't see listed as a change for her here. It seems for her power charge super A version no longer only fills half way (sort of assuming they all got reduced to how long A version lasts) but now B version will give Lvl 2 power charge instead of a lengthier Lvl1. Makes SB power charge make more sense that it gives instant Lvl3 mechanically.

Something I noticed that I didn't see listed as a change for her here. It seems for her power charge super A version no longer only fills half way (sort of assuming they all got reduced to how long A version lasts) but now B version will give Lvl 2 power charge instead of a lengthier Lvl1. Makes SB power charge make more sense that it gives instant Lvl3 mechanically.

Updated

Now that the game has been out for a while, is the lunge punch a viable closeup option? In P4A my go-to option was IAD into j.BB and then a Skull Cracker or a knockdown into charge if I had meter. I'm curious because Elizabeth's and Yukiko's always gave me trouble. Even Aigis' at times.

Don't think the Lunge will help for this matchups. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure only SB Lunge has any projectile invincibility and I'm not sure how much. Can't really give any tips on how to deal with them since I haven't really spent any time with P4U Chie but I'd imagine that these matchups is just working your way in patiently with Chie's fast movement and movement options.

Not a single thing has been said in this thread in almost 4 months so here's my first failed attempt at getting discussion going ^,^

Thoughts on the Kirisame vs Tahichi set? The new 2C dash cancel is looking to be useful in certain midscreen combos now.   

Chie's lack of range options feels like an intentional design choice to me. Don't think ASW will change this. I think they want players to have good movement to succeed with Chie.