Colpevole

[P4AU] Chie Satonaka Gameplay Discussion

I haven't even posted in this thread yet since I don't plan on getting the game anytime soon, but I may as well get as much tech as I can. What's the general consensus of Chie in this version? I've seen we've lost some significant options(5DD oki, 5A stagger, etc.) so I wanna how badly that's affected our gameplan.

My experience thus far: Chie's toned down in general. Her strengths are still good but just not as strong; meteors aren't so free, her DP hurts when punished, harder to convert off of some footsie tools, knockdowns are way less threatening, and while her 5A stuff is still good it's more awkward to use and not as bullying. In exchange for all this her 5AA and 5AAA are slightly better, and she got 2C.

IDK, for me, she feels way more honest but it makes it harder. She was cheap in P4A I think, and you have to earn your wins now.

Shadow Chie is the same but she just has to hit you and she can win. She's great.

Trying to set up and unblockable with SB Meatlballs> Powercharge> SB Godhand knocks the framerate down significantly. If you thought S. Chie was bad enough, just wait until she starts lagging the game for you in offline mode.

Can somebody help me with the basics on Chie. I wanna pick up her shadow version, but the shadow combos aren't the issue. I just have no idea where to start on this character. I need help with like general ideas of pressure, mixups, footsies, and neutral game. Also,are normale bnb's the same for her shadow version?? Sorry if I seem free, I just would like some help.

Combos are definitely a huge part of it.  Make sure you have burst safe confirms and max damage confirms off any situation and you are able to mix up when you shadow rampage for the burst safe ones since people usually wait till the rampage>skull cracker to burst. 

As for your main question, S.Chie's neutral consists of blackspot, 5C and 2A as your main poking tools.  
You can dash cancel off 5C and on counter hit you will get a combo but on block, the dash cancel is -3. 
214C has a better hit radius and is safer for the persona; the reward is less in most situations though.
2A and sweep low profile so they beat problem normals like narukami's 5B.

Chie has a ton of pressure tools such as dash and backdash cancels, short hop cancels, 2DD, j.D, etc, but Chie's pressure consists of 5A mainly.  It's neutral on block so it sets up ticks, pressure resets with another dash up 5A, and frame traps really well. It also chains into 2A.  In the corner, D blackspot and 5C play more of a role.  Midscreen, you can use airturn mixups off jump cancelled normals but it can be punished if scouted.

S.Chie's non shadow rage BnBs are mainly the same.  The only thing different are the autocombo confirms.  Where you see a normal chie doing 5AA>5C>236B~236B, substitute that with 5A>5C>j.236B~236B. 

S.Chie's non shadow rage BnBs are mainly the same.  The only thing different are the autocombo confirms.  Where you see a normal chie doing 5AA>5C>236B~236B, substitute that with 5A>5C>j.236B~236B. 

Meter's so important I dare say 5AAA should be in most of Shadow Chie's non-punish mid-screen combos, whether it's 5AAA > 214A or 5AAA > 236B > 5AAA > 214A

true, midscreen, 5AAA is the go to combo unless you get a 5B(CH) or something that will net more meter anyway.  I was talking more for the corner confirms off prorated hits like 2A>2B>236A~236A>5A>5C>TK air B rampage>skull cracker B>Ender.

We oughta get a matchup thread going for discussion. I have a friend who mains Akihiko, and it's really stressful to play him. I'm not very good, so I'm trying to learn both the game and the matchups behind it, I feel like this friend in particular plays pretty transparently but even then, I almost always end up getting beat out by his A mashing. Is it just that good, or should I go about playing safer with Tomoe and zoning?

I bait his Furious A. and 5A frequently, but in neutral I still tend to lose more I feel like. I do approach pretty haphazardly usually though.

This feels like a kind of silly question to ask, but what should I be doing on corner knockdown?  So far I've just been setting up 2D or I'll jump back and do j2D.  It doesn't feel like it's the optimal choice, but I've eaten too many wake up supers by trying other things.

We oughta get a matchup thread going for discussion. I have a friend who mains Akihiko, and it's really stressful to play him. I'm not very good, so I'm trying to learn both the game and the matchups behind it, I feel like this friend in particular plays pretty transparently but even then, I almost always end up getting beat out by his A mashing. Is it just that good, or should I go about playing safer with Tomoe and zoning?

I bait his Furious A. and 5A frequently, but in neutral I still tend to lose more I feel like. I do approach pretty haphazardly usually though.

For real, I'd really like to know what the hell im supposed to do against Elizabeth and Margaret.

I'm no expert but Against Akihiko I'm usually just really patient, letting him do what he does seems inevitable, I've tried zoning with Tomoe and all I get is a broken Persona rather quickly. Finding an opening and then going for a knockdown swings the tide in your favor because it allows you to now put the pressure on him and baiting his DP is GG. Countering your friends Mashed 5a's is a good option too if they're as easily telegraphed as you describe.

I guess I oughta try that more often then. I guess I might be too overconfident, because I get hit way too much. Kill rush after a knockdown demands respect too, right? I can't seem to Furious or out-mash it.

Just to point out, AnnelFrank mentioned last page that we can make our own matchup threads -- should just be able to go to the matchups sub-forum for Chie and do: [P4U] Chie vs <character>.

I've considered doing it myself, but I thought I'd first make the offer to any Chie mains who might be able to keep them updated, since I only sub Chie and I don't have a lot of time to go looking after a sub-forum.

Or I can make them if you guys want; I just might not get around to it for a few days. Did I mention I've been really busy lately?

You guys use 2C in footsies at all? I've pretty much only been using it in combos.

I've been doing old-school 5C > 66 in footsies, but with the nerf to anti-air confirms off it it leaves a bit to be desired. I saw a pretty strong Chie use footsie 5C > 2C mid-screen and it lead to some pretty nice damage/corner-carry off a random hit, including anti-air. Seems a little riskier than pure 5C, persona card wise and follow-up wise, but it seems like a decent option.

I do, but typically only after 5C. The people I play aren't typically very good so I can get away with things like 5/2DD ~ 5C ~ 2C. I do love it though, a good 5C hit can lead to some pretty sweet setups and or damage depending on what you want. Sometimes I'll throw it out raw as a zoning tool, which seems to be decent depending on if you're trying to read an IAD or something. Definitely a lost card though if you aren't careful.

Speaking of which, when muted and/or Persona Broken, what combos and BnBs do you guys usually use?  I usually hit 5C in my power charge combos, and I haven't tested anything without Tomoe yet.  Or is it more footisies and grabs that you guys use?

Personally if I'm persona broken I go for the 214A safejump till I get Tomoe back, since it's not too long a wait and I can keep the pressure on with jabs. Regarding the 5C, it seems extremely matchup dependant on how useful it is in neutral game and j.A, 5B, 2B are really solid so I seldom use 5C or 2C. I think I use j.D more in footsies than them.

I'm just starting to learn Chie but don't know where to look for resources for her like combo videos and that sort of thing. Would anyone mind pointing me to the right direction? 

I'm just starting to learn Chie but don't know where to look for resources for her like combo videos and that sort of thing. Would anyone mind pointing me to the right direction? 

The other two pinned threads cover those.

About 5C>2C string:  It's not the most reliable and ends pressure right when you use it.  For getting a 5C air confirm hit, I do 5C>iad>j.A(j.B works on tall chars if they got CH on the ground) and 5C>jump cancel forward>j.B

Any tips against Sho?  That character just seems so good vs. Chie he out ranges everything we got.  And he hurts when he hits lol lord

I made matchup threads. I also put the relevant posts I saw in here for Akihiko and Ken in their respective matchup threads.

Do some of the p4a combos work with s chie? Same autocombo and all of that, I don't have ultimate yet so i wanted to know if I can grind something with p4a

Some of the noted changes about Chie in the loketest,

- 2C faster start-up, faster recovery
- Herculean Strike has faster start-up, harder to punish on block, SP-version has added projectile invincibility
- Effect of Power Charge is now show in numbers (?) than in a time-restriction.

Thoughts?

Do some of the p4a combos work with s chie? Same autocombo and all of that, I don't have ultimate yet so i wanted to know if I can grind something with p4a

Some work, but a lot do not. Simple stuff like 5AA 236A 236A etc. works, and stuff like 5AA 2B 5B sweep into 214A are just missing the 214A (and are really easy anyway). But the stuff you need to grind (like the shadow rage combos, 5C 2C dash cancel follow ups, 5C hop cancel, etc.) don't work. So, I personally think that grinding in P4A is not going to be very helpful. Also, the properties of some moves are different (like 2B forcing a crouching opponent to stand), so spending too much time grinding in P4A might throw you off.

Some of the noted changes about Chie in the loketest,

- 2C faster start-up, faster recovery
- Herculean Strike has faster start-up, harder to punish on block, SP-version has added projectile invincibility
- Effect of Power Charge is now show in numbers (?) than in a time-restriction.

Thoughts?

The power charge changes seem like a pretty significant nerf, especially to shadow Chie. 2C and 214X buffs sound pretty good, though. She could use something to strengthen her neutral game.

EDIT: Looks like there's some more changes listed here, but I can't read Japanese: https://twitter.com/hashtag/P4U2%E5%8D%83%E6%9E%9D%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B1%E3%83%86%E6%83%85%E5%A0%B1

The only one I can make out is "Charge 120%, 140%, 200%," which I assume is referring to the damage moves do during charge. I ran the rest through Google Translate, and they sound like nerfs. Can anyone translate?

Edited by Orrax

Need all of the Chie neutral advice i can get.. also a go to DP/CH punish combo would be nice.. and lastly what should i be doing to reset pressure on wakeup? 5DD, 2DD, Jump-In Hi-Low?

Neutral is basically just poking with 2A/5C/SB Lunge (if you're desperate to get in) and trying to keep yourself out of spots where the opponent can jump in at you and make your 2B whiff. If you see an opening, or feel like your opponent is focusing too much on the ground you can jump in with j.B and go over most ground pokes and start pressure. Knockdown is generally just sweep/A lunge ender into safejump j2B (the safejump is easy: just hold up forward after your A lunge ender and hit j2B. It's harder off just sweep, but also a tighter safejump). If they respect your safejump you can go for airdash high/empty jump low mixup, though there is nothing to cover it. Off B Skullcracker you get a better knockdown that you can set up 5/2DD off of, but if they late tech the 5D will OTG them and they'll tech in the air so be aware of that.

As for combos, the first page of the combo thread has a lot of them. They're not the most super optimal ones, but they're consistent for the most part so start there. If you play around with the counter hit 5B ones you can probably squeeze an extra 300 damage out of them but they get a lot harder so up to you.