Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guymam

[CP] Terumi Critique Thread

Let's get the ball running then ey?

Since I gave some harsch and honest critiques I expect to get roasted!

No but in all seriousness I have alot to work on myself but I always just tend to drop the ball on my bad habits and auto-pilot like hell when I get frustrated.

I only remembered to save these 3 replays but me and Sey789 had some back and forth matches and we usally play around 50-50 I'd say. He's a good Haz but was a bit lacking today imo.

Sorry about the quality. Forgot to change from 360p when I stream ^^;

http://youtu.be/Ohc6beguxTg

Well first you are doing a lot of good stuff. Opting for screen position when you have abundance of meter, cutting combos short to land more damaging fuuenjin, faking 6b's, and knowing how much you can do off poor starters like 2a are all strong positives.

For negatives, I can't say too much, and some of them might be due to you not expecting a confirm/expecting a confirm and not getting it. So if any of these are entirely wrong feel free to correct me.

-A few times the haz threw chain and followed up with B and they looked like pretty prime opportunities to 6a CH confirm, but you respected him as he flew in a big circle and landed point blank. (you may have been expecting another chain followup I assume? I only saw him chain followup into chain again a few times, but maybe he does it more often than I saw)

-Round start with 6C..... While it did work, and I admit to doing this as well sometimes, its probably a pretty terrible idea for the most part, but you already know the risk/reward off that. It's not that bad to throw out once in a while.

-I think pretty much all the 6A's you did were CH and you went straight to 2d, but I can't tell if you were confirming off CH or auto piloting and just expecting the counter hit. If they aren't in their active frames and air tech - air dash from the normal 6a, I would expect you to get counter hit for pushing 2d.

- You seemed to be doubling up your j.2d's quite a bit, but didn't confirm off it in the corner. I assume you were auto piloting and didn't react to your confirm, which could have led to pretty solid damage.

-No command throws?

Other than that, your terumi looks pretty solid in these matches.

I should probably attempt to get some Terumi footage of myself up here too, as the only thing thats currently up is like my day 1 terumi stuff.

Thanks for the input Tsukahara and everything you said and assumed is 100% correct.

About letting him get in that's because Sey789 has/had condition me since he usally does ALOT double snakes and it freezes me up. I tend to more want to move by dashing away so he wasted his meter. Afraid of j.2C, j.C, Houtenjin ^^;

6C round starter heh... since we have played a number of matches 6C wasn't that bad of an option considering how he had started his rounds. Just felt the flow.

I always auto-pilot 6A into 2D. CH or no CH. I almost never get punished when 6A isn't CH so that's why. But it's indeed a bad habit as well and I'm aware of it.

Double j.2D is also something I just do that has become a bit of a troll habit :( I'm trying to just do 5B, 6D after it as much as possible. I just hate it as a starter since you can barely get any dmg.

I tried a few cmd throw, not in any of the matches recorded but Sey789 has really strong abare and understanding of Terumi's revolver chart so I got hit out of them unfortunately.

Again, thanks. It's nice and good to get your play looked over by another set of eyes with input about what to improve.

I feel it's still early and I only have about ~900 games played in total online+offline. Stupid full time job.

I know I don't play Terumi but I may as well chime in!

to be honest I think you often respect my chains a bit too much, or well, you tend to think that you should either block or try to 5A/6A my approaches, but you can actually upback after blocked chains too (slightly better if you get to IB them. chains got slightly better in CP so I should probably test this out again though, but I'm pretty sure it's still doable from time to time).

upbacking out of chains can actually be frustrating to deal with because the best way to deal with that is to ~C and air throw as a follow up, which is pretty "easy" to AA.

I also think you were respecting my (poor) pressure a bit too much, I'm not sure if Terumi's 2A can mash Hazama out of 214D~A / ~C but if you get the chance to IB Hazama's 5B you should definitely try to challenge the other guy's pressure with your own 2A.

Terumi's 2A isn't a 6fr 2A so it's not godlike but it's still pretty good.

if you IB 5B you will pretty much put an halt to any pressure reset Hazama may do off 5B (namely dash 5B/2A) and if he tries to 5B > 2A it'll (should) trade.

Obviously this IS a bit dangerous because Hazama can late gatling 5B w/ 5C/2C/3C which all lead to a lot of damage, but it's definitely an option that you could try to use a bit more!

even upbacking after a 5B can be ok although a lot more risky because of 2B/you may not have enough time to air barrier to not get hit by Cs, you will get out of 214D~C though, and may even be able to get a "quick" punish with jD/j2D?

I was indeed playing a bit too poorly in neutral/confirming combos/mashing after j2D like an idiot but eh, that's no excuse and I should have played better :toot:, but you do move in neutral well and I often have a bit of trouble understanding how to stop you, although you are sometimes a bit too wild (like those 6C or sometimes even some iad/run jC trying to catch me upbacking/doing an air chain to get out of the corner) but Hazama's neutral game/chains are frustrating so can't blame anyone for that lol

I was actually surprised I was getting hit by some of those 6C too even when I was just chaining to the ground, I think I was probably trying to jA~Barrier but inputs would get mixed up or something :vbang:

Hey Sey!

Thanks alot for all the input. I have some trouble in the Haz matchup, dealing with his movement is tough. But you and EvilCommie are the only 2 good Haz players I've come across anyway.

I'll try and disrespect your chains more but I'm afraid of air throws if I up back too much since Haz gets good dmg out of it unlike many other characters. It's also really hard to react against.

You avoided my Messenga's and j.D too well so I was stumped by that and renounced to 6C and IAD j.C alot indeed :) But 6C is a really good tool because of the deceptive range and with 50% meter you can just hail mary it. However I noticed you ib'd the last hit a few times and did good punish even though you didn't get CH wich even I was upset about! That IB, dash 5B CH, 214D~C would have been badass :)

I also tend to use backdash more than abare 2A since I used to play Bang. But Terumi's backdash is awful!

*EDIT*

About the respect on block and in general I'm just that kind of player. When playing better then average players I prefer to block and try to download/adapt rather than up back and mash 2A in block strings ^^

http://youtu.be/9QAnQCY8FNg

More replays. Input always welcomed. Already watched them 2-3 times and the errors and embarresment are just piling up for each time.

@TD

Hope you get some tips for your game :)

*NOTE*

As this is written clip is being uploaded. It's late here and need to sleep so just thought I'd post before crashing.

Everytime you random 6C you're asking your opponent to kill you. Everytime you random 2D midscreen you're asking your opponent to airdash in on you or punch you like the Azreal did.

Vs. Hakumen: You didn't kill after the command grab with 100 meter. You tried to burst bait after a throw with doing anything. Their burst was still locked out. You baited it so hard they might have gotten wakeup OD if they were mashing it.

In two games I don't think I've seen 6A once. And they've been jumping.

2nd Azrael match: You forward threw when you had no meter, which led to nothing. Back throw leads to decent corner push, meter, and damage, even with no starting meter. You never backthrow period.

Nu Match: You don't confirm 5D CH, you drop a 2B confirm and try to reset which lets her out and loses you meter, you drop another 2B confirm. Basically, you don't confirm unless it's super obvious.

You mash. Really hard. You do not like block for whatever reason. Your wakeup supers are working so more power to you, but it will get you killed at higher levels. I get that you have 100 meter to make it safe, but then you lose all your mixup and damage options for 1 wakeup. You'll get them back sure, but if you just blocked it could let you win a lot faster.

3rd Azrael Match: Don't confirm a j.2D overhead hit. Don't use counters unless in super specific scenarios because it's fucking ass (super flash buffering, obvious gatling routes), and have 100 meter when you do it to fuck them up. Random 6C again, this time with no meter.

4th Azreal Match: Didn't confirm a 2D hit, did j.D instead (why?) You don't know the airthrow combo of 6B 2C 5C 3C 6D Stuff. It's easy and pretty much always confirms. Hey look that crappy super got you hit. Don't use it.

Koko match: ch j.D run up purple grab. Didn't confirm the CH j.D. Lots of in neutral mistakes, more random yolo 6Cs, but your opponents are really bad, so it's okay I guess.

5th Azreal match: Dropped confirm to a domi burst.

6th Az match: I notice you never jc 5C(1) at all or 2C much. Terumi's bad mixup is worse if you don't do these things. 6A CH confirm dropped. Walk up counter super.

Getting to the heart of the matter. After watching all of your matches, I've concluded that you don't actually fight. You like to do "your thing".

This isn't meant to sound mean or bag on you. If you want to improve it's going to take criticism. So here it is.

1) Your opponents are weak.

2) You all bursted terribly

3) You don't hit confirm. It'd be one thing to drop certain confirms to go for a reset or keep them on their toes, but you drop crucial and good things.

4) What I mean by doing "your thing" is that you want to do your Terumi thing. You're not fighting. You don't like to block, you burst as soon as you can most of the time, one time leading to an awful domi burst. You went for stomp reset which, while cute, means you're missing out on enders and damage. You're not going for the 6D ender high/low/throw setup in the corner either.

You need strong opponents to punish your mistakes. Your random 6Cs, wakeup supers, and such should have been the death of you, but since you got away with it you kept doing it. But, keep at it and you'll improve.

I respect you for calling me out on all that bullshit and I agree with everything.

I get blown up alot and for obivous reasons listed above.

I have not trained at 6A, 6B combos at all but obviously I have to since they are better.

As for confirms.. I pretty much always play with a mindset of what I want to do next and when people randomly don't block or drop their block things get dropped by me since I wasn't able to confirm or expect.

I have ended up with an auto-piloted Terumi because it works good since there are few really strong players in EU and only online available.

Personally I also have a very hard time "seeing how things should be" since I very often copy stuff from others but there are just nothing available to copy. I just wish more Terumi players would post their matches. For me it's much easier to take in stuff when I can see it.

All in all I understand you said nothing to be mean or whatnot, it's constructive criticism and I appreciate you took your time to watch the matches and write your comments/thoughts.

It takes a lot of guts to put your play out there and ask for critique. As long as you keep up your positive outlook and mindset wanting to improve, you will improve. Next time you fight these guys try changing up your mindset and apply some of the new stuff you learned. You may lose to people you normally beat a few times because of it, but in the end once you get those good habits down you'll feel yourself improving.

*only watched vs Ragna*

You don't need to rapid after counter 6C.

Try to get more out of your normal/non-counter Anti-Air 6A's.

Always follow up Orochi with something, even if it the scenario only allows for a single hit.

:3

*only watched vs Ragna*

You don't need to rapid after counter 6C.

Try to get more out of your normal/non-counter Anti-Air 6A's.

Always follow up Orochi with something, even if it the scenario only allows for a single hit.

:3

First bit: good call, didn't realize I did that until you mentioned it. I normally do not RC ch. and I don't really have a reason for why I did this time. Perhaps I just wasn't confirming correctly aka brain fart.

second bit: without overdrive what else can he get off of non ch 6a? I recall him barely getting 2k from it. If you mean w overdrive, I know some combos. Same with ch.

the last bit I am iffy about. Why is this important? Orochi grants a hard knockdown and good positioning in the corner. Outside of resets I'm not seeing the importance of this rule, and I'd rather something that gives me more options than trying to reset. But if there is another more important reason, please explain.

thanks for helping

I've wasted meter on worse, it's ok :3

AFAIK, after non CH 6A without OD, your best options are:

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JC (3hits) J2D for 1493 meterless

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JC (3hits) 263B for 2417 (50 meter) <---I realize the damage is low, but it's damage, nonetheless.

-JC (3hits) Double Jump-->Throw-->Ground Combo-->3300ish without super - 4000-5000 with it.

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JA-->Throw-->Ground Combo-->3300ish without super - 4000-5000 with it. (the JA should mess with their throw tech timing assuming you did the above earlier)

As always, be wary of sacrificing damage to go for a Purple Throw set up. The rewards are pretty stellar though, particular if you consider the damage you'd lose (minimal stuff). You can also do some pretty fun/swaggy stuff if you do land an air throw with meter and OD available.

I can understand your feelings about waiting on Orochi. I'd rather deal the damage towards end game, as opposed to leaving it on the table. I personally can't recall the Orochi "love tap" ever putting me in a disadvantageous situation. I'll have to watch some of my replays to comment further, but I do always hit them after it, if memory serves.

I don't really have that much to critique on. You felt alot more stable than I do so..

I'll look forward to more matches but to bad about the quality :(

Also you did the exact samt 6C CH combo as I usually do that bluebeated when doing 63214B as the 30th hit which was a bit funny that I knew it was gonna blue beat from my own experience >_>

About Orochi in the corner alot people prefer to do 3C, 2D setup or even mess around with 2C.

I never leave them after Orochi. Either I do 3C, 2D and if they late tech out of it I start doing 2C, j.D (neutral/back) / 2C, jump forward and look what they do, fallin j.B or whatnot / 2C, delayed jc j.2D / 2C, IAD air throw

Leaving them is obviously fine as well, guess it comes to personal taste.

I've wasted meter on worse, it's ok :3

AFAIK, after non CH 6A without OD, your best options are:

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JC (3hits) J2D for 1493 meterless

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JC (3hits) 263B for 2417 (50 meter) <---I realize the damage is low, but it's damage, nonetheless.

-JC (3hits) Double Jump-->Throw-->Ground Combo-->3300ish without super - 4000-5000 with it.

-JC (3hits) Double Jump JA-->Throw-->Ground Combo-->3300ish without super - 4000-5000 with it. (the JA should mess with their throw tech timing assuming you did the above earlier)

As always, be wary of sacrificing damage to go for a Purple Throw set up. The rewards are pretty stellar though, particular if you consider the damage you'd lose (minimal stuff). You can also do some pretty fun/swaggy stuff if you do land an air throw with meter and OD available.

I can understand your feelings about waiting on Orochi. I'd rather deal the damage towards end game, as opposed to leaving it on the table. I personally can't recall the Orochi "love tap" ever putting me in a disadvantageous situation. I'll have to watch some of my replays to comment further, but I do always hit them after it, if memory serves.

Purple throws have never been a consistent way to get legit damage in higher levels. It has a horrendous window in which the foe has to tech in blockstun, too much to try mindgames with. Outside of trm, there are not many situations in this game are good to purple throw in. The risk is, literally no oki if teched, a chance for the foe to gain momentum. While not directly unsafe, it puts most characters in a risky rps situation that would be much less of an issue by simply going for oki. I'll go for it if I think my foe is about to tie their shoe or something, thats all really.

I'll try the orochi setups some more and see how they work.

Thanks for posting your matches, I've only watched the first half hour so far, but I'm learning a lot!

I don't really have too much to critique, honestly. I will say that you tend to drop your combos after CT quite a bit, and sometimes you don't close out the round with Fuuenjin (or something similar), even if you'll win.

http://www.twitch.tv/inputlag/b/501230434

A friend wanted some Terumi mu experince so he's fresh against him in this set.

I played... not that great but I guess not terrible. I really hate the matchup and there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with Tager's hitbox. There was so many 236D that ended up on block I just wanted to throw myself on the floor crying... stupid as hell.

Anyway hopefully someone enjoys the matches and has something positive to say.

FT7

I realize I am super button happy O_O

I also do a lot better after the first match.

I'd like to post a video, but I'm without my capture card for a bit. I'm new to ps3 (xbox 360 refugee :p), so I'm not at all familiar with the replay system...is there a way to upload the replays to an account directly or save them to a device and transfer them to a computer for uploading?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Work on your confirms

You had so many opportunities to do a combo and you did nothing or dropped it early

Also don't whiff 2B in neutral, it has a crappy recovery

Against Nu: Don't whiff anything on the ground in neutral and pressure her until she's down. The real difficulty is to get in against her.

You could punish fraudulent backdashes with 6C but it's risky

Might as well post some updated vids of me playing.

I probably know of all the flaws and critique that's gonna be handed out but it's online play and less than best :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagaDNY1nHg

Also I have very low respect for Kagura especially when playing Terumi.

Sorry for the unedited stream matches but editing takes way too long so just skip ahead :)