Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guymam

[CP] Terumi Critique Thread

I always find it difficult against kagura's with terumi. Interesting Kag players will summon a black sphere which would make me want to run over it and im caught with an anti air and sometimes my 236236A fails and i get punished. I like your fights though, gives me some hope. Also i feel ive played a mirror match with you online before.

Happy to hear you enjoyed them. With 50% meter this matchup could be as bad as 7-3 in Terumi's favor. If it's hopeless it's for Kagura. They have to pull out all the stops all the time to try and get anything in and started.

I don't recognize your PSN so I don't think we've played. Note that I'm EU player.

Might as well post some updated vids of me playing.

I probably know of all the flaws and critique that's gonna be handed out but it's online play and less than best :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagaDNY1nHg

Also I have very low respect for Kagura especially when playing Terumi.

Sorry for the unedited stream matches but editing takes way too long so just skip ahead :)

Your video helped me with doing better stuff with Terumi so...that's a plus? :yaaay:

I'll shut-up now. :kitty:

That Kagura was very bad :(

Please don't base the notion of a 7-3 match-up off of your sets with him.

I'm not basing it on Neo alone. Every Kagura I played is the same. Just up-back barrier and they have zero mixups and you win. 5D ftw and Messenga to punish everything.

You can beat anyone using any character if they don't know where the gaps in Terumi's pressure are. He had no idea about how unsafe 6B setups are. That guy could have DP'ed you 70000000000 times if he was knowledgable in the match-up. He also fed you damage by doing drives mid screen when you had meter, which is definitely not good. Finally, his combos were far from optimal. 

I think the focus should be on giving critique to the Terumi player and not the opponents really.

If you can't give any critique due to the fact that the opponent "isn't good enough" or whatnot either say nothing or say that you can't give any critique due to this fact.

Anyway played some more online but only got a few worthy matches.

Hopefully the opponent is better to everyone's liking. The EU community is small and somewhat behind so with that in mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2wjLk6_W2Q

Might as well post some updated vids of me playing.

I probably know of all the flaws and critique that's gonna be handed out but it's online play and less than best :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagaDNY1nHg

Also I have very low respect for Kagura especially when playing Terumi.

Sorry for the unedited stream matches but editing takes way too long so just skip ahead :)

I'm not exactly good since I started playing since Terumi was released for the american version, but I can say you need to apply more optimal combos (or semi-optimal, because of the lag).

Meh. Terumi sucks for combos these days. I just kinda go with what I know. I suck too much to main Azrael also xD

I only pick up new stuff from vids but since there are about 0 Terumi players that can play I get zero inspiration.

Though I've come up with some new things as of late. Unfortunately no stream so no new vids of that :|

*EDIT*

If you'd actually have concrete examples of what I should have done instead that wuld of course be very swell to experiment to see if I could switch things up.

Meh. Terumi sucks for combos these days. I just kinda go with what I know. I suck too much to main Azrael also xD

I only pick up new stuff from vids but since there are about 0 Terumi players that can play I get zero inspiration.

Though I've come up with some new things as of late. Unfortunately no stream so no new vids of that :|

*EDIT*

If you'd actually have concrete examples of what I should have done instead that wuld of course be very swell to experiment to see if I could switch things up.

Well that's why I made a Bnb list :D, I tried to make them optimized, while I know they're still easy to do.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7014-cp-yuuki-terumi-combo-thread/page-6#entry812309

Also, the combo video by Noze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4GFWiO3rw

Note: after 22C lvl 3, the 5B must be delayed on "weird-hitbox" characters like Amane or Kagura.

Thanks heavy. Maybe I'll go through it and compare when I'm bored. Examples would really help me personally thou since I like getting put on the spot to actually get me motivated. Other than that I'm a copy player and copy people when they do good/better things than me. Unfortunately I seldom get the chance to see that except for maybe that dan 15-17 player from JP.

There is a good Terumi player in the EU lobby, Neriam.

I have not played Neriam in a while or Owner_of_Epic for that matter. But I can't remember being blown up by any Terumi at all at any point really. Maybe because my total respect for other Terumi players and only busting out Azrael instead of mirrors.

Hi. My friend would like his Terumi critiqued if possible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPf-bpcc1Q

Any help would be appreciated and passed on.

Some errors on that Terumi:

1) Must work to improve hitconfirms Midscreen: He never made a combo from 2/5A and j.2D, and barely made one of 6A and 5D.

2) Never use 63214B/A (Orochi Burensen) Midscreen unless you know is gonna finish the round with it, 41236C (Messenga) is better for this.

3) Use more optimal combos, mostly in Midscreen.

4) He tried to use 2B to follow 41236C. This was possible in BBCP 1.0, but now can only be followed with 2/5A and 5B if 41236C is delayed.

5) He used the barrier to much, and he can get the negative penalty if it's completely depleted. Normal blocking works to do punishes and Barrier for escaping, using Barrier to block everthing is a bad idea (though this could change depending on the oponent).

6) He must be a little more careful with his bursts, or he could eat more punishes.

In no particular order.

Horrible bursts all of them. Huge waste considering Terumi actually has a useful OD.

Dropping combos for no reason at all.

Doing poor combos, really not optimized at all or even decent combos for that matter most of the time.

Alot of wasted meter with 63214B. It's just not worth the meter midscreen in 1.1 without the followup. The "oki" is also non existant for it.

Way to hesitant (maybe because I have a more button happy style). But he had oki and just backdashed on your wakeup several times. I'd say Jin has the upper hand in neutral over Terumi so he just shot himself in the foot for nothing. Maybe baiting reversal 623C but giving up all oki for that is not worth it.

No or poor thought behind blockstrings and pressure. It was pretty much the same all over. You could have easily just sit and block all day and tech throws with minimal risk seing as he'd sooner or later end up on poor frame advantage that you could just escape or press buttons of your own.

Alot to work on... but if he gets combos down, watch a few vids and concentrate on Terumi's pressure he'll improve fast enough if there's a will.

Thanks for the responses. 
I've told him everything both of you said so hopefully he'll start working on everything soon. 
In regards to videos of Terumi, are there any particular players he should be watching or will any decent level Terumi do?

Thanks for the responses. 

I've told him everything both of you said so hopefully he'll start working on everything soon. 

In regards to videos of Terumi, are there any particular players he should be watching or will any decent level Terumi do?

There's been a lot of great Terumi matches posted in the past week in the video thread or check out the game chariot video channel, if I would have to name a player it would probably be Shirushi and Noze, both have some mean Terumi's.

Just picked up this character. These are some of my first games. Some general tips going forward so I don't develop bad habits would be great. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcaTe3gPnQ&

1. Try to work on your hitconfirms: most of the time you tryed to follow 5B with 5C, the problem with this is that you have to know at what distance you're from your opponent and if they're crouching, otherwise it could whiff. Also try to practice more Terumi's combos.

2. Are you looking just for damage and heat gain? Because in midscreen ending the combo with 22C lvl3 > 66 2D gives you Oki (or pressure at least). And in the corner is good to do 5D > 2D after 236D or 6D (needs a backdash after this one), so you can keep the pressure in the safest way possible(watch for counters: Hakumen, Jin, Litchi, Bang, Terumi, Tager and maybe Makoto because of her parry).

3. Try to mix more: remember that 5C(1) is jump cancelable (after the jump you can't do another jump nor and air dash), and 2C too. Also, you need to use 2B a little bit more.

So, I finally managed to get access to a PS3 and picked Terumi!

Explain his metagame like you're talking to a newcomer to BB.

So, I finally managed to get access to a PS3 and picked Terumi!

Explain his metagame like you're talking to a newcomer to BB.

Sorry this way to explain is not for "newbies", is just that I'm horrible at teaching :(

1) He's a character with a tools for a lot of situations but his main focus is Rushdown: get the hell in and kick their asses up close.

2) His 5D is very useful (and spammable) because of his range, his 6C and 236D have a very good range too but if they block them you're screwed.

3) His j.2D is very a very good overhead and plus on block, but the damage you get from it is very low.

4) Terumi doesn't have a full screen proyectile, so you have to get close carefully when facing zoners.

5) One of the very good things about Terumi is his run speed: not Valkehayn/wolf levels, but in the levels of Makoto and Bang, so if you see a chance to get in, you'll get there faster than most of the characters of the game.

6) He has a command grab (214D) that moves him forward a little, so if you wanna grab them but you don't want to get so close to use the normal throw, use 214D instead (watch out: it's very slow, if you fail it you're screwed.)

7) After 5D you can do 2D or 6B (the slow kick) so you can keep them blocking (or to hit them if you're lucky), you can even do 6C but you better have at least 50 heat to Rapid Cancel if they block it.

8) His j.D (the "X" shape green slash) has good range, but is very slow. You can use it to get in after a High Jump, or back jump (or back high jump) and j.D so you don't let them get close ("You wanna hit me? Lolnope :v: "). Notice that it doesn't hit high, so they can block it while crouching.

9) He has two antiairs: 6A and 623B (usually his DP at the cost of 50 heat). 6A is very fast and has good horizontal range (can be jump-canceled on hit and block) and 623B has very good vertical range and damage (on counter hit you can follow it with 6C, or do a 2D to make them block). Both are very risky so don't abuse them (mostly 623B).

There are two ways to play Terumi:

1. Damage and Heat gain: He's pretty good on this, mostly on the heat gain and given that he's got the easiest combos in the game, is a good choice for novices in Blazblue (watch tou for his 22C level 3, you have to press the C button with lightning speed to get it :v: ).

2. Okizeme: He doesn't have very good mixups like Valkenhay, Rachel or Litchi, but once you knock them with 3C, 22C level 3 or even 236D (this one in the corner) you can 2D to make them block while their getting up, and then Terumi's mixups come (after the 236D on corner do a 5D > 2D at 5D's max range).

He has 3 lows (2B, 3C and 63214A) and 5 highs (j.A, j.B, j.C, j.2D and 63214B). 5C can be jump-canceled in the first hit and use any air attack (the most used is j.2D), but you can't do air dash, air back dash nor jump again. His j.B has two hits as well and cross up in midscreen.

Useful info

Good. So while he is "Attack. Attack! ATTACK!!" incarnate, I can't just be THAT mindless.

Good. So while he is "Attack. Attack! ATTACK!!" incarnate, I can't just be THAT mindless.

Exactly. My play style is passive, still he works pretty well that way, mostly because his fast pokes(punishes galore :v: ), range and defensive tools with meter.