LegendaryRath

[P4AU] Teddie Gameplay Discussion

Anyone else have trouble w/the corner combo & jump cancels online?  I can do them in training, but even the slightest input lag throws me off online.  Yet sometimes I see people (such as wiredgod) do them!  2B >j.A is where things fall apart.  Also, after all this time, I'm not sure why SB Teddievision sometimes doesn't work.  I'm not persona broken, have the meter, and TVs aren't out, but I do a whiffed throw instead.  I've lost a few matches off that.  Hmm...

It's all practice. Just make sure you're not delaying 2B too much either.

Also make sure you're doing the full 236 motion before C+D.

Anyone else have trouble w/the corner combo & jump cancels online?  I can do them in training, but even the slightest input lag throws me off online.  Yet sometimes I see people (such as wiredgod) do them!  2B >j.A is where things fall apart.  Also, after all this time, I'm not sure why SB Teddievision sometimes doesn't work.  I'm not persona broken, have the meter, and TVs aren't out, but I do a whiffed throw instead.  I've lost a few matches off that.  Hmm...

I can do that combo if there's not a lot of lag, but I still occasionally drop it online.  In the case of lag I do a simplified combo.  I prefer to delay the 2B as much as I possibly can without them teching.  Learning that timing and adjusting for lag just takes experience like Balguna said.

Maybe you threw an item? You can't TV if the persona is out. Also (most of) Teddie's combos has a lot of leniency IMO, I find myself hitting jump cancels by holding up after 2B and not even timing it.

I've noticed a few Japanese players incorporating 2C into their blockstrings very sparingly. It's not a bad option since it beats mashers and you have quite a few cancels from it: dash, backdash, and specials (so Teddievision to keep distance or Bearscrew to keep pressure if you have 50 meter). You can also go 2C > 2C to have Kintoki-Douji attack from the same position, or just D to have him throw an item from the air.

Neutral is really tough now though especially with many items being destructible or disappearing on hit (which makes a lot of them pretty hard to use in a defensive position). The Mitsuru matchup is pretty rough now from what I can tell.

2C beats fuzzy OS and has good reward. I don't think neutral is going to be really tough, you just have to play perfectly more often. I don't really think Teddie is that bad in 2.0, everyone else is just super strong. Why try to play perfectly in neutral when you can play a shadow char that has auto-pilot pressure?

2C beats fuzzy OS and has good reward. I don't think neutral is going to be really tough, you just have to play perfectly more often. I don't really think Teddie is that bad in 2.0, everyone else is just super strong. Why try to play perfectly in neutral when you can play a shadow char that has auto-pilot pressure?

Adding to what dinotail said, One of Teddie's key mixups is the 5AA > iad j.B > j.A > etc.  Opponents will read this and air throw you.  Occasionally putting in a 2C instead of the iad j.B will keep them honest and keep the threat of the j.B mixup real.

Would rather say that it's better to go for 5AA>jump airturn>airdash jA like Souji does.

The small startup nerf on jA makes jB>jA only works at very specific spacings making it much easier to anticipate it. Airturn>airdash jA will however always work. It's still reactable though but so is IAD jB>jA anyway.

Also, quite often against people mashing DP, the DP will whiff or go through the back airdash invul allowing you to punish with a dash 2C FC.

Would rather say that it's better to go for 5AA>jump airturn>airdash jA like Souji does.

The small startup nerf on jA makes jB>jA only works at very specific spacings making it much easier to anticipate it. Airturn>airdash jA will however always work. It's still reactable though but so is IAD jB>jA anyway.

Also, quite often against people mashing DP, the DP will whiff or go through the back airdash invul allowing you to punish with a dash 2C FC.

I'm starting to do the IAD air turn jA to bait the DPs, but I feel like the conversion is a lot less consistent. Is there a trick to to getting it after the jA? Perhaps jA 2A as opposed to jA 5A? or is it all spacing?

I'm not certain of it, but I think the mixup for the iad j.B > j.A is slightly faster than the air turn j.A.  I could be mistaken though.  You're right about the specific spacing.  I try to use both mixups.

Dinotail, I've never had any problem converting that airturn j.A into 5A.  If you're not converting, then you're probably correct to assume the spacing is off.

Pretty sure you do the airdash way too late. You generally have more than enough hitstun to do jA>microdash 5A which is necessary actually if you're doing it quite close to the opponent.

A few other blockstrings you can use that are quite safe and quite useful:

5AA>(5B)>5D>microdash 5A

Basic pressure reset with item. Very safe depending on the item thrown. 5B allow you to push the opponent farther and have more blockstun when canceled into 5D. Will make some DP completely whiffs and if they jump out, you can either chase them with jA or stay on the ground and AA them with 2B.

5AA(max hit)>5B>Sweep>Fish

If the sweep is done as far as possible, it becomes + thanks to the fish allowing to pressure reset with 5A afterwards. Will also beat jumping attempt because they don't hold 1 anymore. Can delay 5B to make it a frame trap. Can also delay the sweep to make it a frame trap too. Generally, going for sweep as punish isn't that great at all but Teddie's got great damage with it and can still go for basic 5D oki.

Thanks guys, I will look into fixing it. Fish pressure is too scary to consistently go for, IBing blows it up too hard. If people are IBing 5AA standings, sometimes I just sweep after that and RC right away into a confirm or more pressure.

A few item drop super setups/resets.

1) Item on Red rocket:  after corner combo, skip the missile and end the combo with j.B > item drop super.  If you time the super right, It will drop mystery food X on them giving them fear, poison, and mute.  Smart bomb will be placed right over them in the corner and the red rocket is set to go off.  This is probably the best setup I've found.  The board position here is so good and you're going to end up hitting them 3 out of 4 times.

2) Item on dry ice:  Do corner combo doing 5C into 2C > ice. teddie screw through them and use the super once you go through them and they're in the corner.  Your persona has to disappear before you can item super, so the timing can be tricky.  Item super will drop vanish ball, the ninja robot, and the rage drink.  j.B on them once they tech will push them into the rage drink.  There's room to improve this setup and there's lots of potential to create new setups by using your other item path not set on vanish ball.

3)  Item on pinwheel:  Really simple.  Pinwheel pushes them into the rage drink and then into the stereo that goes off.  It worked on bananaken and it can work for you

What are Teddie's safejumps?

I actually don't know the question to this and would like to know.  Right now I'm testing a meaty crossup j.B.  j.A I think can also be used as a safe jump, but I don't know a way to set that up effectively.

I actually don't know the question to this and would like to know. Right now I'm testing a meaty crossup j.B. j.A I think can also be used as a safe jump, but I don't know a way to set that up effectively.

According to the Teddie God Necro Undine, you can safe jump off jA if you time it low to the ground after any juggle combo. I need to test out the timing