brett_

[FB] Gundam EXVS Simple Q&A Thread - Ask Anything!

I'm seeing in the match making thread that some people are posting Japanese PSN accounts, does the online pass only restrict the pass to the one account its used on or as long as its downloaded any account can play online also?

The online pass restricts online play to the account the pass was purchased on. To play on multiple accounts, each account must have its own online pass.

The online pass restricts online play to the account the pass was purchased on. To play on multiple accounts, each account must have its own online pass.

Oh wow really? That kinda stinks, I was hoping it was like the one for Tekken Tag 2 where if you have it downloaded the entire console is set to go cause I've used my alternative PSN account to play online once.

Quick question: when you are blocking can you boost dash/Super Vernier/Special movment (example Freedom's barrel roll) out of a block after you block something?

More often than not when I end up blocking something, the opponent's partner tends to tag me, or, in case of the Arcade mode, I'll block the initial hit of something but get tagged by the attack anyway as it gets around me.

Anyone else REALLY tired of playing on Side 7? Every ranked match is freakin side 7...

I do a bit, there a couple nice maps worth the spot, not only side 7

Quick question: when you are blocking can you boost dash/Super Vernier/Special movment (example Freedom's barrel roll) out of a block after you block something?

More often than not when I end up blocking something, the opponent's partner tends to tag me, or, in case of the Arcade mode, I'll block the initial hit of something but get tagged by the attack anyway as it gets around me.

Blocking is dangerous because you can get forced into an unblockable setup. There's a short period after successfully blocking during which you cannot do anything. Once that period ends, you can move however you want.

Anyone else REALLY tired of playing on Side 7? Every ranked match is freakin side 7...

It's the EXVS equivalent of Smash Bros.' Final Destination stage. Tournament standard, most balanced, etc. If you want to play another map on ranked, feel free to choose it, just don't expect the majority of players to choose anything but Side 7.

Why is the pub community for this game so atrocious?

You know what... I just started playing this game and I had to remove a thought process from my mind.

It's similar to what happens in league of legends, a team game, and you are coming from a 1 on 1 game.

you play a fighting game, you lose, its you. its your fault. You play this, a 2 on 2, and even if you do well or great for that matter you lost because someone else went in too hard, threw caution to the wind or just simply played poorly.

some cant handle that random factor yet play in shuffle rooms where... well... shit is gonna be random.

another thing is some players (myself included) cant handle the fact that there are gonna be some very large skill gaps sometimes.

Has there been any information on the PMX-003 The O?

Either I can't seem to find it, or it doesn't exist?

There's no official The O thread atm - if you want to open a temp one up to discuss it, feel free. At the moment we don't have anyone willing to be a dedicated OP for the suit, hence no actual thread.

There's no official The O thread atm - if you want to open a temp one up to discuss it, feel free. At the moment we don't have anyone willing to be a dedicated OP for the suit, hence no actual thread.

I see, then I will have to do something sooner or latter.

You know what... I just started playing this game and I had to remove a thought process from my mind.

It's similar to what happens in league of legends, a team game, and you are coming from a 1 on 1 game.

you play a fighting game, you lose, its you. its your fault. You play this, a 2 on 2, and even if you do well or great for that matter you lost because someone else went in too hard, threw caution to the wind or just simply played poorly.

some cant handle that random factor yet play in shuffle rooms where... well... shit is gonna be random.

another thing is some players (myself included) cant handle the fact that there are gonna be some very large skill gaps sometimes.

I came from both, there is a thought process in EXVS that you can avoid bad players until they get better. But this game is weird in that you don't really notice things like you're not vectoring enough when enemies will run at you with reckless abandon 95% of the time in shuffle. Or you play in team free with the other low winrate who is getting dodged and you spend the whole match not doing anything except trying to not take damage. You basically have friends or stop playing. :/

If you are on the WC, you can always play ranked. Regardless of where you live, there are also shuffle rooms at times, in which case you don't need to worry about it either. Honestly most people just accept that when you are new, you just have to get beat up a thousand times till you get better.

So I got my friend into full boost, he decided to main Epyon and he got pretty good with him. I was wondering who I should use to be a good support for him, and what should a good support be? What should he do? I saw some people posted in the Epyon page that a ranged suit such as Cheridum would be good.

So I got my friend into full boost, he decided to main Epyon and he got pretty good with him. I was wondering who I should use to be a good support for him, and what should a good support be? What should he do? I saw some people posted in the Epyon page that a ranged suit such as Cheridum would be good.

From what I understand from playing/trying Epyon recently is mostly being able to cover his approach and as people are trying to get away from it, you take advantage of hitting them while there trying to avoid Epyon. Similarly Epyon can capitalize on mistakes when they try to aim for a back unit. Cheridum is a good one to use just cause how quick the snipes can be plus the shield bits can add another layer of protection to Epyon. I think Zaku Warrior would be pretty good also, it's not as quick at snipes like Cheridum but its a pretty strong back suit to use and the main A attack packs quite a punch. I think someone can provide a better insight on the topic then I can, cause the style I used was like playing a back unit where I take advantage of people kinda forgetting its around and go nuts once the chance comes.

commenting briefly on the minor topic about online play: I've been surprised to find that I like Ranked Play more than I like the free battles. I was really worried about stepping into ranked and just getting my ass kicked, but in the little bit I've done I've found much more consistency and fairness in the skill spread and matchups in ranked versus unranked. It's actually be unranked where I've gone into some shuffle rooms and had some guy multiple tiers above me come in and tear me a new one.

I haven't done team hold yet because I just haven't gotten a chance to try and get my friends or any of the couple people living here in Japan too in there to practice with.

So...yeah I was really self-conscious about my foray into the online game bringing my partner down and frustrating people, but I feel like Ranked offers a much more even slate for people to stand on. If a player is awesome from arcade/EXVS experience and just starting their account (which, is incredibly unlikely at this point that the game has been out) they're just gonna rise up and rank out, and then you're typically left people at the same skill tier as you.

Edit: Although, I guess this doesn't really speak to the attitude or anything of people online, if that was the point. Unless you're actually communicating to your partner somehow I'm not sure how you'd divine this if you're just playing in shuffle settings. But I guess it's like someone else said that upper tier players just know that lower tier players gotta earn their stripes and sometimes you get one as a partner :/ I mean, I openly admit to being new blood online, but even I can tell quickly when I'm playing against people who are the ones who are more experienced ones and who are the noobs like me (or worse than me) just in how they move on the field.

Edited by akai_GO

Hi, new to this game. I'm trying to understand front and rear guard roles and read brett's guide but still confused on a few things.  If a back's role is take advantage of opportunities created by the front player i.e front player pressures other front into overboosting, back player punishes then surely ranged suits are better than this than melee suits. What then is the point of 2000 cost melee suits the brett guide lists 2ks as the rear guard in all comps?

Hi, new to this game. I'm trying to understand front and rear guard roles and read brett's guide but still confused on a few things.  If a back's role is take advantage of opportunities created by the front player i.e front player pressures other front into overboosting, back player punishes then surely ranged suits are better than this than melee suits. What then is the point of 2000 cost melee suits the brett guide lists 2ks as the rear guard in all comps?

A 2k suit isn't always necessarily a back suit. A Melee Suit is a Front. 

Brett's guide says: "Generally this cost plays the Support role with any of the other 3 costs"

Support doesn't always mean you're in the back (example: in League of Legends a Tank Support is up front)

Depending on the situation you in a melee suit are front with your partner being the back, or you're double fronting

Hi! I'm a new player of what has quickly become my favorite online game.

My problem is that I seem to suck. I have no problem taking on the CPU on extreme difficulty, but as soon as I play online the lag gets me. (I live in Sweden and while my connection is excellent, even fiber would'nt let me escape the inevitable red connection from the west coast.) Hit confirming a sidestep from melee for example, is almost impossible, though for some reason my opponents have no problems doing it.

My question is: Is lag different for different participants in a match? Is it dependent on the proximity to the host, or am I only looking for excuses? (I only have 200-ish matches online under my belt, so I don't expect miracles.)

Another thing: Sometimes when I join a room, even though it shows me among the other players the game won't let me start a waiting match. I get a huge sign saying something long and complicated in japanese, and nothing more. Is this related to ping limitations, and if so, why can I even join? (I noticed when I once hosted a room and set a ping limitation, people joined but never entered a game and finally left.)

Also:

I play Strike Noir, The O and Tallgeese, and Tallgeese ha strangely been my most succesful suit. Are the other two suits more difficult to master, even counting SV from Tallgeese?

Back melee suits still tend to have some ranged options. There are a few suits that are almost completely dedicated to playing melee, but this is less applicable to the 2k cost range in this game.

Melee back suits mostly play a close/mid-range poking game until they see an opportunity to land a punish on the opponents. At that point, they can move in, do a short combo, and get back out. It's a higher stress role to play, but the damage rewarded to the back melee suit for successfully taking an opportunity is typically much higher than the damage rewarded to a ranged back suit. In addition to the higher reward, they tend to have stronger oki games, so successfully knocking down an opposing player can create much more pressure on the opposing team.

Back melee suits do tend to make their front player change the way they play a bit, though, and also cause the game to shift towards a double-front position when necessary (notably, when the back player capitalizes on an melee opportunity, they are very often immediately targeted for a cut, which creates an opportunity for the front player to do something). Back melee tends to have a more noticeable effect on enemy movement than back ranged, as well, when simply moving towards the opposing players.

Even then, however, the back player should focus most on not taking too much damage and allowing the front player to comfortably use their first life to its fullest.

If you are on the WC, you can always play ranked. Regardless of where you live, there are also shuffle rooms at times, in which case you don't need to worry about it either. Honestly most people just accept that when you are new, you just have to get beat up a thousand times till you get better.

I know some midwest players apparently have a decent enough connection to play ranked, but I assume its on the bottom end of tolerability.  Since they're always in team free during peak hours.

Sort of elaborating on a part of what tari said: a good way to think about it is that melee mechs threaten with their presence. Enemies want to avoid getting into riskier closer ranges with those mechs, so by moving around they sort of "automatically" control enemy movement. So while 2k melee mechs have a harder time performing some parts of the role, not only is their reward larger but they can help control neutral is certain ways, their presence can make it much easier to  corner the enemy, etc. Imagine, for example, a front with a boomerang and a back with good melee- as they move around there's a "sphere" around each of them, a zone that the enemy wants to avoid entering. With that in mind, you could see how their dual presences can heavily influence the enemy to make a few, rather predictable movement decisions as neutral goes along.

My question is: Is lag different for different participants in a match? Is it dependent on the proximity to the host, or am I only looking for excuses? (I only have 200-ish matches online under my belt, so I don't expect miracles.)

Also:

I play Strike Noir, The O and Tallgeese, and Tallgeese ha strangely been my most succesful suit. Are the other two suits more difficult to master, even counting SV from Tallgeese?

I think the lag a player faces is only dependent on the other players in the match they're in and not necessarily the host. (ie if someone has a redbar with me when i host but im not playing in matches with them, then there does not seem to be a lag issue as long as ia void them) I don't know if different players in a match experience different amounts of input lag though. I am sorry that I can't answer your other questions very well.

Tallgeese's A has especially good guidance if I recall. That may be part of why you're more successful with it. The O is definitely easier, although if you don't know how to melee and condition enemies with BC decently then you're not using it to its fullest, so that may be influencing your success with it. I don't really know a lot about strike noir, but it seems to be much easier as well, at least from an execution standpoint, perhaps not from a tactical standpoint.(although, safely running away and poking is pretty simple and strike noir seems capable of that)

Thanks. Very Helpful. Also wondering about partners for Raiser and FullCloth. The wiki suggest stalling out the downtime between buffs with Infinite Justice. Does anyone have any other suggestions?