brett_

[FB] Gundam EXVS Simple Q&A Thread - Ask Anything!

What's that gold kanji that sometimes pops up at the end of a match indicate?

If it's what I think it is, it just pops up when you get a particularly high score at the win screen. I honestly don't know the requirements for it.

I think the lag a player faces is only dependent on the other players in the match they're in and not necessarily the host. (ie if someone has a redbar with me when i host but im not playing in matches with them, then there does not seem to be a lag issue as long as ia void them) I don't know if different players in a match experience different amounts of input lag though. 

This isn't important, and I don't think I've ever actually mentioned it, but there is reportedly some sort of weird host priority as reported on the JP wiki for the ARCADE version of the game for the particular cabinet that was the host, which is extremely minuscule. It might not even apply to netplay hosts, and it might not even be in, but just thought it was worth bringing up since I haven't before heh. For all extensive purposes no there is no host advantage.

Also if you're having trouble with Strike Noir, focus on landing punishing opponents with AB (use AC from really far ranges where AB won't work). Ignore using BR, and especially CSa / CSb. They're entirely pointless, but they're meaningless to use until you understand the whole picture better.

Thanks. Very Helpful. Also wondering about partners for Raiser and FullCloth. The wiki suggest stalling out the downtime between buffs with Infinite Justice. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I often see dynamics of either a) supports that can help keep up pressure even during downtime (Delta, Hambrabi, etc) or b) supports that also have aggressive timer options (Gyan, Mark 2) to combine for explosive turns.

Is there a way to 1v1 someone without bots on online? Also what does the win compensation do when making a room?

Unfortunately, there's no way to 1v1 someone online. It has to be a 2v2 match and both players must set their AI partner to Stop.

From what I remember, the win compensation / handicap feature makes it so a player who is winning matches consecutively (say like a 10-win streak) is more often matched with a player who has only won a few matches. I'm unsure if rank is calculated into it as well.

Two questions:

1. Is there some sort of guts system in place where you take less damage with less health/or is it you just take the same damage at all times

2. What's the OTG damage stuff like? I know it's always a weird percentage whenever you're on the floor and you take a ground hit, but I'm kinda curious what exact numbers are put in place

1. Yes. You take less damage you also deal more damage.

2. OTG proration is 25% (the attack does 25% of its original value). This proration occurs AFTER combo proration / cancel proration etc etc.

To piggy back on this You'll notice it kicks in when Your partner dies you'll see your character's eyes appear just under the cost gauge.

I also wanted to ask, say I'm a 2k and my 1k partner dies twice while I have stayed alive, does the "Guts" thing stack twice?

Unfortunately, there's no way to 1v1 someone online. It has to be a 2v2 match and both players must set their AI partner to Stop.

From what I remember, the win compensation / handicap feature makes it so a player who is winning matches consecutively (say like a 10-win streak) is more often matched with a player who has only won a few matches. I'm unsure if rank is calculated into it as well.

Oh, is that how the win compensation works online? In the old arcade cabs for Next, when that was enabled, it caused players who were on winstreaks to suffer from very literally handicapped defense values that would get worse according to how large the players' win streaks were.

To piggy back on this You'll notice it kicks in when Your partner dies you'll see your character's eyes appear just under the cost gauge.

I also wanted to ask, say I'm a 2k and my 1k partner dies twice while I have stayed alive, does the "Guts" thing stack twice?

Unless something has changed in this game, or unless I'm greatly mistaken, guts is only related to your suits current health, not to whether your partner just died or not. If you fall to low health, guts kicks in.

Oh, is that how the win compensation works online? In the old arcade cabs for Next, when that was enabled, it caused players who were on winstreaks to suffer from very literally handicapped defense values that would get worse according to how large the players' win streaks were.

Values dropping in relation to the length of your streak was how it worked in EXVS. 

Then I stand corrected; I didn't think it actually worked like that, but it makes sense. Thanks guys.

Why so many NA players with terrible Connection? Why soo many lag spike/Delay/ red games in green yellow bars? honestly it is me or games nowadays still suck with Online Multiplayer? this is not 98 anymore or 06. I'm very honest, i can stand a level with UK or Japanese, but yet see NA players getting Red on a US or CAN lobby just hurt my head. now dont get this wrong am not point and shame names. its just right now very annoying for a game required a stable connection but yet its a suppose to be only japan, and its a island in Pacific of course we get it

Yet a lot of players from here want the game to be port in west but we about to get a dynasty warriors gundam version didn't sell well in japan from my search, sad, end/rant

Edit: sorry for teh english.

Why so many NA players with terrible Connection? Why soo many lag spike/Delay/ red games in green yellow bars? honestly it is me or games nowadays still suck with Online Multiplayer? this is not 98 anymore or 06. I'm very honest, i can stand a level with UK or Japanese, but yet see NA players getting Red on a US or CAN lobby just hurt my head. now dont get this wrong am not point and shame names. its just right now very annoying for a game required a stable connection but yet its a suppose to be only japan, and its a island in Pacific of course we get it

Yet a lot of players from here want the game to be port in west but we about to get a dynasty warriors gundam version didn't sell well in japan from my search, sad, end/rant

Edit: sorry for teh english.

Some players need to go solid connection as opposed to wireless. And lay off the downloading while they're at it.

connection issues will also arise when a West coast player plays with an East coast player. 

Some players need to go solid connection as opposed to wireless. And lay off the downloading while they're at it.

connection issues will also arise when a West coast player plays with an East coast player. 

ISP level routing issues are rare(otherwise there should be no reason an east to west coast connection should drop below yellow) and the bulk of issues are wireless and people who wont watch their downloads or are in a living situation where they don't have full control over it.(I was in the latter until just recently but I didn't even bother sitting again once it acted up)  In quite a few cases though it's just the PS3 not playing nice with some other device on the network, or your router/modem throwing a fit over your ps3.(Which is why you should dmz)

PS3 net just sucks but I will say there is a reason I have better connections with my EU friend's private rooms than with some people.  When this college semester ends I really need to get a group together for 4-mans.  Brett's stream room/gafgundam rooms are usually a step above pub team free but you can't rely on everyone to be stable and to leave/not sit when they're not.

What equipment would I need to get a portable tournament setup going? My area just got a fourth copy and I was going to see about setting up events for local play.

For venues that provide internet I know the Playstations and monitors will suffice, but how is it Brett ran the tournament at EVO last year with no venue internet?

It's kind of complicated, and the actual technical setup for it was handled by dakanya / PhaethonH, but it's basically using a portable linux box that talks to the router. We used a 4g connection to initialize the connection of each ps3 to PSN, but afterwards, each PS3 is deceived into thinking its relaying back to PSN, but is instead routed locally and connections directly through the router, rather than having to bounce back to PSN every time, allowing for Blue Bar connections in otherwise abysmal situations. I believe details on how to do this can be found somewhere on the internet.

From what I can recall, we don't actually fake the PS3s into thinking they're connected to PSN. We've talked about doing so before, but during the last EVO, I think we still had connection drop-outs caused by faulty internet? Not sure, though, haven't really talked to Fred about it since then.

In any case, blue bar connections can be achieved as long as you have a central hub/router for internet that all the PS3s are physically wired to together. The linux code we had was only used to turn Fred's laptop into a router, if I recall correctly, so it could use the 4G connection while also accepting connections from the PS3s.

So... how have people gone about calculating damage for everything exactly? Considering the game doesn't have a dedicated training mode showing damage statistics and the like, it's always been a curious thought. Was it just something tested between 2 or more players manually recording the damage they do to each other one move at a time or is there something I'm missing? Inb4somethingI'mmissing.

Also, why doesn't this game have a training mo-

So... how have people gone about calculating damage for everything exactly? Considering the game doesn't have a dedicated training mode showing damage statistics and the like, it's always been a curious thought. Was it just something tested between 2 or more players manually recording the damage they do to each other one move at a time or is there something I'm missing? Inb4somethingI'mmissing.

Go set up 2p Free battle and and use the opponents HP to determine values, its not perfect since its hard to reset and its only really accurate at full hp.  Also for training mode just set your opponent to stop and use the training stage.

If you're really patient, you can test damage and proration values on everything by resetting a 2P match (with stopped bots) constantly.

Damage scaling from guts won't kick in in the middle of a combo, so you can always do something like record the damage from Move X, then reset and record the damage from Move Y, and then reset and record the damage from Move X > Move Y, etc.

You honestly probably don't even need to reset between the first couple tests, since guts doesn't kick in immediately, but it's pretty safe to just reset every time.

You can test combo damage by doing the combo to a full health 2P suit and checking the damage it took.

Obviously, you shouldn't been damaged or be in activate as the 1P suit, or your numbers will be way off.

The alternative, of course, is to just look at the JP wiki, where they've already done this for almost every move in the game.

The alternative, of course, is to just look at the JP wiki, where they've already done this for almost every move in the game.

Yeah, JP wiki is pretty solid most of the time. By the way, since google translating the combo pages can be confusing as fuck:

横-side 4/6 前-forward 8 後-back 2

so 横N横 is

4b > b > 4b

iirc.

so 横N横 is

4b > b > 4b

Mmmm... not exactly. That would be combo would be 4BB4B.

Another example is: 横>NN前>特射 (I pulled this from the JP Wiki for Zeta)

Which is: 6B > 5BB8B > AC

Note that the "N" you see after a kanji is like another button input to continue a melee string. So something like NNN = 5BBB or 横N = 6BB.

To add to what Cosmic said, here's our notation thread: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8311-fb-the-notation-thread/

Here are a couple more examples from the Nu Gundam wiki:

BR≫横NN→CS

This is 4/6BBB directly cancelled into CSa.

BR >> 4/6BBB -> CSa

NN>NNN

This is 5BB, rainbow-step 5BBB.

5BB > 5BBB

BR→(≫)BZ≫BR

This is BR, a direct cancel (or optionally, a boost-cancel) into BZ, and then boost cancelled into another BR.

BR ->(>>) BZ >> BR

N>N前N→BZ

This is 5B, rainbow-step 5B8BB, and then a direct cancel into BZ.

5B > 5B8BB -> BZ

So I'm - again - going to ask a noob question here: whenever I'm reading through the wiki, these numbers and discussion regarding "down value" and "cutting"/"cut resistance", what are these exactly?? I think they're maybe fighting game (of which I don't really play at a high frequency or skill) terms? Is down value the amount of damage that it does when an opponent is temporarily grounded and you that one allowed extra hit, or is it some sort of measurement of the ability's knockdown strength? "Cutting" from seeing you guys talk about it seems to be the ability to "cut" around an ability using your melee?

Cut Resistance - How hard it is for an opponent to hit you out of a combo (ie: cut you out of a combo). For example, Quanta boost-dash melee has fairly good cut resistance, largely because he makes huge movements while doing it. Quanta's 8B(1) > 8B(1) > 8B(1) combo has pretty mediocre cut resistance, because he doesn't really move while doing it, even though it's fast.

Down Value - When a suit accrues 5 points or more of down value, they yellow out, become invulnerable, and fall to the ground. Each move applies a set amount of down value points on hit. BRs, for example, typically have a down value of 2.0, which means that 3 BRs (a zunda) would apply a 6.0 down value total and would therefore cause the enemy to yellow out.

Ahh ok, that makes sense, thanks! And the topic of potential "whiff" combos - "whiffing" it seems like is maybe backstepping or other wise somehow moving before one hit hits, and then somehow following up with the rest of the combo string?

Whiff combos involve hitting the opponent, then boosting/stepping/etc. in such a way that your melee followup will miss on its first swing, but pick the opponent back up on the next few hits. This is generally done in order to conserve down value and extend combos for more damage.

The examples I can think of off the top of my head are Xenon and Unicorn, since I was just messing with those earlier today. Xenon's whiff combo involves hitting the opponent upwards, then positioning himself below the opponent in green lock before starting his melee. The first swing misses because he's in green lock, but the opponent falls back into the second swing. Unicorn's whiff combo is an NT-D combo, and involves knocking the opponent up with his boost-dash melee, then back stepping out of range for his 6B followup. Because he backsteps, the first swing of 6B misses, but the second swing (6BB) has forward momentum and carries him far enough to hit the opponent again.

While both of those examples involve knocking the opponent away, it's not a requirement for whiff combos. God Gundam can do one by just backstepping and cancelling into his followup melee immediately after the backstep, since it has minimum forward movement and won't connect on the first swing after a backstep.

Not sure I explained it very well, so sorry if it's confusing. :(

OK, this has been driving me crazy since I noticed it:

What is the square between the EX and Boost meters, sometimes showing a triangle and sometimes a circle?

Also:

Since I seem to be the Kiss of Death to any team I end up with, should I go with a 2000-suit rather than a 2500? I've stayed with 2500 since the value seemed a better pick in shuffle, but having tried the Hyaku Shiki and the X2, they feel at least as powerful as The O / Strike Noir, while being less of a load on the life meter. Are the 2500 suits in general more complex, or have I just stumbled upon an unforgiving couple? I keep reading that the 2000-suits are good for beginners. In what way do they differ from the 2500, apart from cost and general power?