brett_

[FB] Gundam EXVS Simple Q&A Thread - Ask Anything!

And to follow up those long-ass posts, a translation question!

So I finally decided to do a 1k just to make a 1k thread, and I decided to do Ez8 since he's the most interesting to me (top-tier ftw).

This pops up a lot in his combos, and I'm assuming it's 4ac though I'm not entirely sure:

左特

Thanks again, sorry for the hassle :(

I don't play Ez8 but looking at the movelist and description on the wiki, It is most definitely 4AC.

Not really... but lol too much to explain :P

There is no defensive or offensive in my opinion. Its the player that matters after all.

You can be offensive with ranged attacks too.

Or defensive as an epyon.

There is no such category. The playstyle should change according to the situation you are in.

I bet you haven't seen the most annoying type of players. The defensive master gundam who never attacks.

I agree there's some degree of player preference and style involved, but it's hard to deny that certain suits favour certain ranges/strategies over others.

Certainly you can be offensive with ranged attacks, but your optimal range is farther than melee suits, for example.

Defensive Epyon and Master are certainly roles that can be played, but at the highest level you won't really see it since you'll be losing the damage race in a standard neutral game with these suits (unless you're facing an extremely weird or melee suit combination).

I got another couple of questions I just remembered. First question is if I'm trying to triple BR, does it not work if I boost backwards? I've tired it a few times but I wasn't sure if it was me or if backing backwards penalizes that too. Another question I wanted to ask, when your doing triple BR, do to have to make that hard read cause everytime I try to hit confirm with it before shooting 2 more, never seems to work. By that I mean I see the first one hit or about to hit and try to confirm the rest but usually they get out of it.

The problem with boosting backwards is that you go outside your suit's firing radius, which is referred to as Out-of-Angle.  This means when you fire your BR your suit verniers and must turnaround before firing.  The increased startup makes it impossible to zunda unless your opponent is very close.

Hit-confirming BR zundas is somewhat tricky at farther ranges.  At the tips of your red lock range you can't really visually hit-confirm them, you just have to judge it based on how much boost you think your opponent has left, and if you think you're going to get a solid punish/cut.

I don't play Ez8 but looking at the movelist and description on the wiki, It is most definitely 4AC.

Thanks Dakanya!

BTW I hope you don't mind if I ask for your help once I get around to Heavyarms :P (he's the only Endless Waltz suit I have left and I'm kinda OCD so I like completing series of suits at a time).

Unfortunately I don't play Heavyarms anymore but I wouldn't mind. He actually looks kinda playable in Maxi Boost though.

Actually that is what we see the most at high level competitive plays. Just like how we see jap players abuse zero system.
The most frustrating kind of player is that kind. Picks Wing Zero (TV) Attack only when zero system is up. Run until Zero system is up again. Loop.
That is why they changed the zero system to once per suit in maxi boost. Its game breaking.
As for defensive master players. Its happening everyday, cuz master has good charge shot and a lot of stuffs to throw at the opponent. They tend to wait a long time until going in. Those are the players who don't wanna make mistakes at all and often lead to time over.
But then of course we dont see those happening much on NICO.

Those players are mostly players who cannot allow themselve to lose no matter what lol.

Unfortunately I don't play Heavyarms anymore but I wouldn't mind. He actually looks kinda playable in Maxi Boost though.

Thanks!  And that's a shame, but I can see why (IIRC he was good early on in FB before they nerfed him).  Out of curiosity, who do you play now?  I remember seeing footage of you in SCR, playing Reborns (?)

And aside from bumping his cost up to 2500, I dunno much about his changes in Maxi Boost tbh :P

Actually that is what we see the most at high level competitive plays. Just like how we see jap players abuse zero system.

The most frustrating kind of player is that kind. Picks Wing Zero (TV) Attack only when zero system is up. Run until Zero system is up again. Loop.

That is why they changed the zero system to once per suit in maxi boost. Its game breaking.

As for defensive master players. Its happening everyday, cuz master has good charge shot and a lot of stuffs to throw at the opponent. They tend to wait a long time until going in. Those are the players who don't wanna make mistakes at all and often lead to time over.

But then of course we dont see those happening much on NICO.

Those players are mostly players who cannot allow themselve to lose no matter what lol.

Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean more now.  I knew this tactic was abused a lot in vanilla with Quanta especially (play keep away until Shield Bits are up), I guess I should've expected this to be the same in Full Boost.

And while I get that Master CAN play a neutral game thanks to CSb and his mobility, I feel like in an even matchup he can't play the neutral game forever and expect to win against an equally-skilled opponent using a more range-oriented suit (i.e. Reborns), and has to go in at some point.

And I guess those videos don't get posted since it doesn't make for exciting matches, which makes sense as to why I don't see more of it.  Thanks for the clarification.

Another question I wanted to ask, when your doing triple BR, do to have to make that hard read cause everytime I try to hit confirm with it before shooting 2 more, never seems to work. By that I mean I see the first one hit or about to hit and try to confirm the rest but usually they get out of it.

If you fire one, boost dash cancel, then actually FIRE the second BR after confirming the first one hit, it's possible to confirm. Much easier depending on the distance etc. At the very least as the first BR is airborne you can generally figure out whether the trajectory is good or not, and then act off of that judgement call. Confirming the BR actually hit then BD cancelling and BR'ing at that point is not as feasible due to startup etc - often times it wont combo once taking into account your reaction time.

Thanks!  And that's a shame, but I can see why (IIRC he was good early on in FB before they nerfed him).  Out of curiosity, who do you play now?  I remember seeing footage of you in SCR, playing Reborns (?)

And aside from bumping his cost up to 2500, I dunno much about his changes in Maxi Boost tbh :P

I main Reborns now but haven't been playing lately due to school. I will post about Heavyarms in the Maxi Boost discussion thread so I won't derail this thread~

I main Reborns now but haven't been playing lately due to school. I will post about Heavyarms in the Maxi Boost discussion thread so I won't derail this thread~

LOL sure.  I know the feels, don't even have the game yet because of school.  College I assume (or university depending on where you're from)?

Last question before bed.  Practically done Ez8 doc (his melee moveset and combos are pretty barren), but this popped up in one of his combos.  No clue what it is, my guess would've been 6bc, but bc is his mode switch so...

右特

Here's his wiki page:

http://www4.atwiki.jp/arcgundamexvsfuvo/pages/89.html

Personally, I've been using a BMIS for around 3 years and haven't had much of an issue, pretty satisfied. 

Some of the AverMedia cards are pretty legit I hear but I forget which models :P

Ok. So with the execption of Alex I'm completely incompetent with melee.

Could I get some basic pointers on melee as I do want to do well with Exia and Epyon

Edit: I feel like I'm mostly running into things and that I have no presence when using a melee suit.

It's a common problem with melee suits to focus entirely on melee and ignore the neutral game, I was like that at first with Master in vanilla, all I did was spam 6b all day.  It comes down to closing in when you have the opportunity in any gaps in your opponent's neutral game, and using your close range tools to get mixups or force melee approaches if you have a good enough melee to do so.

Exia has a rapid-fire BR, good Sub, and an amekyan to play the neutral game, which isn't bad for a melee suit (especially a 2k).  Since ideally you're with a 3k partner, you won't want to be going in right away and taking too much damage since you're generally going to want to die second.  Once your opponent makes a mistake and lets you in / you make an opening yourself / your partner sets one up for you, you can go for vertical height mixups with 8bc jump (watch out for gerobis and stuff with good vertical muzzle correction) or just go for meaty 6b or 8b depending on if they're running away or trying to melee you back, respectively.

Epyon is unique in that he literally has NO tools to play a normal neutral game.  All you really have to threaten people with is your presence as a 3k melee suit, which most people don't really find too threatening.  In this case you kind of have to force your way in when your opponent makes an unsafe play.  You really have to capitalize off your 8b and bc mobility options to get into melee range and stay there, but overall Epyon's bottom tier because he has literally NO options and has to constantly take risks to even apply pressure, let alone deal damage.  Your goal is to get into whip range at least so you can get your melee game started, but even that is an arduous task.

It's kind of hard to make suggestions without watching any of your gameplay, but knowing your approach options is very important.  Definitely watch vids of Exia/Epyon gameplay to learn what people use to approach and what does/doesn't work.  Combos are naturally important to learn as well, but they're secondary to actually landing hits, just go for basic stuff until you have the neutral game down.

It's a common problem with melee suits to focus entirely on melee and ignore the neutral game, I was like that at first with Master in vanilla, all I did was spam 6b all day. It comes down to closing in when you have the opportunity in any gaps in your opponent's neutral game, and using your close range tools to get mixups or force melee approaches if you have a good enough melee to do so.

Exia has a rapid-fire BR, good Sub, and an amekyan to play the neutral game, which isn't bad for a melee suit (especially a 2k). Since ideally you're with a 3k partner, you won't want to be going in right away and taking too much damage since you're generally going to want to die second. Once your opponent makes a mistake and lets you in / you make an opening yourself / your partner sets one up for you, you can go for vertical height mixups with 8bc jump (watch out for gerobis and stuff with good vertical muzzle correction) or just go for meaty 6b or 8b depending on if they're running away or trying to melee you back, respectively.

Epyon is unique in that he literally has NO tools to play a normal neutral game. All you really have to threaten people with is your presence as a 3k melee suit, which most people don't really find too threatening. In this case you kind of have to force your way in when your opponent makes an unsafe play. You really have to capitalize off your 8b and bc mobility options to get into melee range and stay there, but overall Epyon's bottom tier because he has literally NO options and has to constantly take risks to even apply pressure, let alone deal damage. Your goal is to get into whip range at least so you can get your melee game started, but even that is an arduous task.

It's kind of hard to make suggestions without watching any of your gameplay, but knowing your approach options is very important. Definitely watch vids of Exia/Epyon gameplay to learn what people use to approach and what does/doesn't work. Combos are naturally important to learn as well, but they're secondary to actually landing hits, just go for basic stuff until you have the neutral game down.

Here's an example with Exia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YqSixwJqDk

Ok. So with the execption of Alex I'm completely incompetent with melee.

Could I get some basic pointers on melee as I do want to do well with Exia and Epyon

Edit: I feel like I'm mostly running into things and that I have no presence when using a melee suit.

having presence is basically a matter of

1)moving properly so that they dont feel confident about just "oh, i can punish their landings whenever they're getting close so i dont really need to worry". being able to land in a range where you can start to threaten is key. gotta pace yourself with your ally's supportive fire and movement in this as well.

2)varying your offensive options properly. let's say the enemy's primary reaction is to shoot->boost dash away->shoot->sub->boost dash away.  so don't try to cc8b them, instead boost hop at like a 7/9 direction past them and then 4b 44 4b their landing or whatever.perhaps BR their vernier shots as you move on-angle unlike them)

if they just try to land early and then start moving away again so they outpace you, then make sure they realize that such landings are dangerous with cc8b or projectiles or whatever. 

make them scared of early landings with cc8b etc, make them scared of reckless fire by just moving past them and then punishing, make them scared of using lots of boost by efficiently gaining on them and cornering them and 4b/6bing them when they try to move left/right, make them scared of sidestepping by using that opportunity to get closer and be more boost efficient than them, make them scared of meleeing you with your own projectiles/baits/high priority melees. you need to organize your offensive options in your head properly, recognize which defensive options the enemy is predominantly using, and then condition them to be scared to use those, so that you put them in a guess situation once you get close(which can cause less-composed players to flat out panic and then you can just auto win)

also, this ends up dealing with learning to corner enemies properly, being in concert with your ally, and recognizing when you should just let an enemy run away so that you can 2v1 the other enemy or whatever.

Here's an example with Exia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YqSixwJqDk

First off, the comps being used are kind of wonky, I'm assuming it was a shuffle match?  2k-1k and 2.5k-2k are pretty underpowered teams, though 2k-1k is probably a little more viable, and means you're playing a double-front, but it means you're going to have pretty crappy firepower.

Immediately thing to note is that you don't seem to be experienced with Exia's red lock range yet, there were a lot of green lock BRs and Subs, that will come with experience.  Try to visually keep track of where your green lock is so you don't waste ammo, which is especially precious due to Exia's low ammo count.

Stuff like 0:15 could have gotten you punished if Sinanju was looking in your direction.  In general, you are being too aggressive and going forward too recklessly like at 0:25 (the 6ab into land was kind of awkward).  While your team wouldn't have won an extended neutral game against Sinanju x Dynames, you could have afforded to play it safe for longer and capitalized off any stray hits or openings you or your partner make.

The whole sequence after you spawn at 1:10 is pretty ugly and kind of a collection of inexperienced melee suit judgment.  8bc isn't a good horizontal mobility option (you were trying to rush for Dynames, who was nowhere near you at the point you did the 8bc) and you kind of tunnel-visioned and remained unaware of Sinanju, who promptly shot you in the back.  It promptly happens again at 1:20 too, basically as soon as you get up and gun straight for Dynames again.  Just be aware of both enemies' position, and use both the radar and caution signs that appear on the sides of the screen when you're locked/getting fired at.

Playing with your partner is key here.  When he died you continued to go in, despite the 2 on 1 situation, where it would be wiser to retreat and regroup.  Even though your firepower is lower, a 2k-1k team would play a similar role to 2.5k-1k where you play double front.  Your health management actually ended up being ok, but you ended up not dealing too much damage and lost a lot of health very fast in your 2nd life.  You ended up winning, but it seems like your partner kind of carried and did the majority of the damage.

Obviously the role you play here is different from what you'd play in a conventional 3k-2k team comp.  If you have any gameplay of that message me with it and I can provide some feedback, though I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination.

Also remember to amekyan when you call your assist, you seem to forget to use your Main after calling your assist, or doing it too late (i.e. 0:35).  Should be something like: step ac --> BR

The one combo you did land wasn't very pretty either (it was like 6bbb > whiffed 5bbb lol) but that's secondary to your neutral game and knowing your approach options.  Just do simple stuff like 6bb > 6bbb for now.  Once you get used to the neutral game, then you can go for fanciness :)

Sorry if a lot of this stuff wasn't melee-suit specific, a lot of them are things to keep in mind with any suit you play, but they're integral before getting into the nitty-gritty of suit-specific stuff.

8bc isn't a good horizontal mobility option

8bc is good for this if you boost dash cancel it quickly.(ie 8bc cc 9c ac a or whatever is pretty nice) Also, 2k-1k is reasonably viable, moreso than 2k-2.5k. The rest of what you said is good though, densuo needs to focus on awareness and general play/fundamentals rather than specifics.

8bc is fine for going in. Even without using the bd cancel mightfo mentioned, using it to engage or go in is good. It's very common to do something like boosthop BR -> Sub -> 8BC > AC -> A to go in (step cancelling 8BC into amekyan) 

Since we are on the topic of melee, I got a question about that, I know in some cases I see my opponent coming at me with a melee cocked and ready to go, my first instinct is go try and create distance by dashing back but that never works and I usually get caught in a flurry of attacks afterwards, so in situations like this or when my opponent is going ham with rainbow dashes what should I be doing to get them away from me? I know some stuff is tool dependent on the suit too but if I have some general idea I think I can figure it out with my specific suits I play. 

Since we are on the topic of melee, I got a question about that, I know in some cases I see my opponent coming at me with a melee cocked and ready to go, my first instinct is go try and create distance by dashing back but that never works and I usually get caught in a flurry of attacks afterwards, so in situations like this or when my opponent is going ham with rainbow dashes what should I be doing to get them away from me? I know some stuff is tool dependent on the suit too but if I have some general idea I think I can figure it out with my specific suits I play. 

The best way is to step cancel backwards. Do not dash. Remember this is the first rule of gundam vs. Never Dash when you are in melee range. You need to cut the tracking of the melee attack. Step cuts tracking. Back Step cancel +beam rifle should do the job.

At higher level gameplay we actually counter melee by using melee too. We know that which melee has better priority. But if you area using a suit that has no good melee priority moves. You will need to use step cancelling.

https://sites.google.com/site/unlimitedbrettworks/gundam-extreme-vs/gundam-exvs-guide/an-introduction/beginner-losing-streak-correction-lecture---putting-it-into-practice#TOC-Judging-Distance-and-Counteracting-Melee

It really depends on how far away they, how much boost you have, and how good their melee/your mobility is.  If you're a lower cost suit without a good anti-melee option and Master is 6b'ing at you and you're BDing backwards, odds are you're still gonna get hit.

And a quick translation question, doing Berga Giros and this pops up in a couple of his melee strings which I'm not sure about:

機体1機分以上の高度 で最速横虹ステで可。

Thanks!

https://sites.google.com/site/unlimitedbrettworks/gundam-extreme-vs/gundam-exvs-guide/an-introduction/beginner-losing-streak-correction-lecture---putting-it-into-practice#TOC-Judging-Distance-and-Counteracting-Melee

It really depends on how far away they, how much boost you have, and how good their melee/your mobility is.  If you're a lower cost suit without a good anti-melee option and Master is 6b'ing at you and you're BDing backwards, odds are you're still gonna get hit.

And a quick translation question, doing Berga Giros and this pops up in a couple of his melee strings which I'm not sure about:

機体1機分以上の高度 で最速横虹ステで可。

Thanks!

Dashing only works if the opponent is kinda far and recklessly doing melee>rainbow. But if the opponent gets near you the best way is to back step cancel and shoot them in the face. If your BR hits them then>BR>BR while dashing backwards at the same time.

Not to mention that, even if master is spamming 4/6B>rainbow at mid range. You can still step or step cancel mid range to cut its tracking.

If you Dash, you will realize that master will only get closer and closer. But if you step or step cancel it. The melee won't track anymore and it wont travel as far compared to you dashing away from it.

P.S The guide is a little bit wrong. You won't be turn your back on the opponent just cuz you step backwards.

You will be still facing the opponent which wont affect your BR.

P.S The guide is a little bit wrong. You won't be turn your back on the opponent just cuz you step backwards.

You will be still facing the opponent which wont affect your BR.

I think you're just failing to read the sentence correctly, unless this isn't the sentence you're talking about: "The main weakness of this technique is that if you already are backturned when you do this, you'll have no choice but to cancel it into a boost dash - by this point its a lot of boost so you may be at a boost disadvantage." Too lazy to explain the semantics of english atm though.

機体1機分以上の高度 で最速横虹ステで可。

If they're at least one character height or more above the ground, you can do a fastest possible sidestep to connect this. I'd test it in training mode (on a grounded opponent) because I forgot what his 6BBB string looks like.