brett_

[FB] Gundam EXVS Simple Q&A Thread - Ask Anything!

I've been using arcade stick with the console default layout since I didn't know it wasn't the official arcade layout. Should I change my button configuration to the arcade layout?

Yeah you probably should. You may regret it later. It doesn't really matter as long as your comfortable with it, but if you ever play in arcades or offline at gatherings, you'll be unable to play. If you're playing on stick you might as well play with the proper layout.

controlsarcade.png

Thanks, I'll work on that. Maybe it's because I'm left handed but I have a hard time boosting with my ring finger while my pointer and middle finger are charging buttons like when using mk. 2.

I'm really terrible at learning how to move in this game and punishing landings. I'm continously getting blown up on the regular, and when I look at my replays I can't exactly correct it. I really have no idea how to move in this game as a front suit. I play unicorn and wing zero. And whenever I try and punish people's landings, it's always too late, or they land in a place where I can't hit them.

I sincerely suggest having someone else look at your replays.

As for wing zero. He is pretty agile. Just be patient. He doesn't exactly have high ammo so you have to wait.

I like his command to go straight to ma mode. Try using that to keep on the move.

If you have trouble with a cs'd A try using wz ew to practice and get it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Movememt is practice. Try being more conscious and focused on moving with intent and not just moving. Dont forget your radar. Just moving while not being alert to radar means you may just be moving in a vector you shouldn't be in

So I hit 5 stars with one of my suits today but I'm a bit confused. In the status menu you can see 3 selected "mains" and your win rate with them. Since the ratio of the two numbers gives that percentage, I've always assumed that the first number is total matches and the second is the number of wins. I'm still about 40 matches off from 1000 though, so do other things in the game besides Player and Ranked matches count towards this deployment total? I've only played through Arcade maybe once  and did a few FB missions with it.

On another note, is there any way to see your statistics with certain suits without setting them to one of those 3 slots?

On another note, is there any way to see your statistics with certain suits without setting them to one of those 3 slots?

Thats the only way I know of to do it, but im a moron so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

so do other things in the game besides Player and Ranked matches count towards this deployment total?

Yes, other modes of the game count towards your deployment count. FB missions and Arcade for sure. Free Battle...maybe not, I can't remember now, but I already have one star on every suit so it would take a while to see ><

I've looked through I think every menu item in the game and have not been able to see a way to view win/loss statistics without favoriting a suit and looking at it there :/

Dang, I was really hoping I was just missing it like on the past times I checked. As much as I like this game, there are a few things in general interface like that which I wish weren't as they are.

Hello guys! I wanna ask about ranked match. Have u ever encountered, in ranked match waiting room(when u need to press O to get ready), word 'OTHER' which is written in red? What does that mean? Is that related to blacklist thing?

The game checks whenever you abruptly disconnect in the middle of a match. If your d/c rate is too high you'll end up with an orange color during the accept match screen, as you described, if you d/c even more, it becomes red.

I'd like to ask for some pointers on Turn X. Given his special melee and relatively low ammo should I actively seek melee?

That weird looking move where he goes into pieces. When do I use it, it seems useless.

When's the best time to csA?

I'd like to ask for some pointers on Turn X. Given his special melee and relatively low ammo should I actively seek melee?

That weird looking move where he goes into pieces. When do I use it, it seems useless.

When's the best time to csA?

I dunno if you've read the wiki page but if not here it is.

Though his reload is below-average on his BR, his Sub reloads decently fast, and he has his CSA.  If you're frequently running out of ammo, then you're probably being a little too wasteful with your BRs.  Second impact where you can, and mix up your zundas with your Sub as well.

Turn X is very strong in the close range, but he's not a melee suit by any means.  6B is his best melee option, but most of your damage should be coming from BC CSC mixups and solid punishes.  2B is a good punish option if you're in range.

5AC is rarely used, it's very situational.  6AC has a freefall effect, so it's good for shifting your landing to avoid punishes if you're low on boost or in a precarious situation.  It's a fairly standard all-range funnel weapon, but you can't attack while its out so it's hard to use offensively (you're limited to fuwastepping while you wait for your parts to reassemble).

CSA is just all-around great.  It's a very good landing punish, combo tool, and is a great option for mixups out of your BC movement options.  You'll want to be using it whenever you feel like you won't get punished for it (i.e. while your opponent is landing, not paying attention to you, or CSCing from BC as a surprise).

Most of this is covered in the wiki, but just in case I guess :\

Just the wiki link woulda sufficied. However I do appreciate the quick write up.

how do people go about playing ranked mode? I've never tried it because I don't have a partner so I just search for random player match lobbies. Is it difficult to find matches with other north american players in ranked?

theres ranked shuffle and ranked team. if you odnt have a partner you can try ranked shuffle where you individually queue and play a ranked shuffle match with 3 other people. It's not hard to find ranked matches, though after a certain point players tend to cancel due to the connection. If you are too far from Japan you might have more difficulty than others finding a match.

To add to finding ranked players on Shuffle, you have to be wary of a new trend of players that are only out for the sole purpose of losing matches to get their CP count up, or are just losing the game in general to annoy people. Has anyone else run into these morons? I can provide PSN's of two if need be.

To add to finding ranked players on Shuffle, you have to be wary of a new trend of players that are only out for the sole purpose of losing matches to get their CP count up, or are just losing the game in general to annoy people. Has anyone else run into these morons? I can provide PSN's of two if need be.

While I've heard of this, it baffles me why anyone would tank their ranking just for CP?? Especially when there are so many other ways to get CP...

While I've heard of this, it baffles me why anyone would tank their ranking just for CP?? Especially when there are so many other ways to get CP...

Dunno, but one player that I ran into that's been doing this had over 6000 points with Banshee, and has now moved onto padding Ex-S. It's almost like they've set a turbo-capable controller to either do nothing but dash forward and constantly cancel gerobi, walk forward, or in the case of one guy using Strike Freedom, constantly rainbow stepping BC.

I've definitely seen a few people turbo their controller. No idea what the purpose was, but yeah lol.

I have a question about something close combat related. Is there a frame rate or priority over certain attacks during red lock? As in my most common problem with this game(Spiegel Gundam Player) is that when I close in on someone to attack them when they're attacking me, they get priority over my attacks.

I've tried neutral and left and right but I still somewhat lose out. Most to that main character from the Trans Am series. The 2000 version of his suit. It's pretty frustrating because people use that to their advantage to rush me down. 

Do I just side step? Do I attack and then side step? How can I raise the priority on my melee attacks?

I have a question about something close combat related. Is there a frame rate or priority over certain attacks during red lock? As in my most common problem with this game(Spiegel Gundam Player) is that when I close in on someone to attack them when they're attacking me, they get priority over my attacks.

I've tried neutral and left and right but I still somewhat lose out. Most to that main character from the Trans Am series. The 2000 version of his suit. It's pretty frustrating because people use that to their advantage to rush me down. 

Do I just side step? Do I attack and then side step? How can I raise the priority on my melee attacks?

I'm not sure how frame rate plays in, or what numerical values may be in the game code, but yes melee attacks have varying priority values. More than just priority values though, attack startup can also highly factor in (does the attack stab/kick straight forward, or does it swing a sword from over its shoulder/across its whole body before the attack hits? what is the speed of the attack?). There's no way to raise your priority on an attack.

8B is typically a suit's highest priority value attack. Doing a very quick skim of Spiegel's JP wiki:

• 5B: Fair startup and followup potential, but rush speed is slower than 4/6B. Difficult to connect with. But, because a fair amount more damage than 4/6B, it's recommended that you go with this.
  • 4/6B: Typical rush speed. Startup/priority doesn't stand out among other 2k all-arounders.
  • 8B: Irregularly high mobility/low damage. Does a small amount of vernier, and so has landing priority. If you step cancel after landing, there's a small wait before boost recovers. Doesn't cut guidance, slow recovery speed. Low altitude. It talks a lot about using it with "zusa" main and target switching, but I can't find in the rest of the article what this zusa thing is...

So, the attacks themselves just don't really have good priority attributes. The tactics section goes on to confirm this saying that compared to other 2k melee suits, it's opening stage melee attacks are considerably weaker. The offset is that it carries a lot more ammo than the other 2k melee fighters (Dragon, Exia, Red Frame, Sword Strike, Gyan?), and so that's what you're supposed to lean on for creating your opportunities to close in for melee. I'm not a Spiegel player but my understanding is that kinda hanging back and tossing out a LOT of CSa is pretty common. In addition, relying on your kunai to stagger, using the kunaikunai somersault and BC to give you some added horizontal mobility, or using net to trap - you shouldn't expect really in a one-on-one melee clash to win out, and should use your superior mid-range options to your advantage instead of trying to win a rush clash.

Particularly against Exia, who has great speed and mobility, the vertical advantage using BC, good reach (especially from his 8B) - he's going to beat you in a melee clash most of the time. But he only has 3 BR shots and his Sub for his mid-range game for trying to close in on you, so is a lot more dependent on either his mobility and BC to close down on an enemy, or for his partner to get a Down that allows him to close in.

Just to clarify, the word priority is actually a kind of subjective sum evaluation of how good a move is in an exchange. The actual individual things that make up a melee moves priority fundementally are:

1) hitbox - this is both in terms of reach and in terms of the melee attack in relation to your own suit. Example: Banshee's BC has insane priority not just because its hitbox is large, but because it is extended far in front of her own hurtbox. Some moves, like Master 8B or Arche 6B, can duck under things by changing their own suits hitbox. Others move hitboxes tend to even be located in ways that still work after a sidestep (Sinanju 6B, Quanta cc8b, Xenon form 2 6B, etc)

2) startup - in close range exchanges where both are in attacking range, the fastest melee is often the best. Example: Susanoo's 5B is sub-par at chasing and going around stuff, but it rarely loses in situations where you both end up recovery at the same time next to each other. Start up speed can also affect close-mid  range exchanges as well, because if two melee attacks are heading at eachother, even if they have already both begun the pursuit portion of the attack, if one of the attacks "detects" the opponent in proximity and that attack comes out first, it can win. Example: Susa's side BC spin isn't that fast nor has a good hitbox, but because it's constantly ACTIVE without needing to detect a proximity, it is often active and already hitting before an opponents melee land.

3) active time - this describes how long a melee attack stays "out" once it's gone off. Long active times make the move feel like they more often will "reach" their target even when the opponent seems to be escaping. Example: many of Epyon's melee moves, Exia 8B, etc, tend to catch many players off guard because they continue staying out longer than normal, and can "catch up" to a fleeing opponent in mid boost-hop or ascent.

4) closing properties - the path and speed of the "pursuit" portion of the move are what often decides whether a melee is useful in close range when faced against basic beam options. Example: Arche's 6BC is considered an extremely good melee move primarily for the path it moves in as it closes in, which is unusually curved. It  also factors greatly into how an exchange goes off. The angle that two melees have greatly affects the priority, because many hitboxes are shaped based on the appearance of the attack, or attack from a particular side or angle. If two melee moves are basically overlapping and both active, it ends up being which hitbox is connecting better, which often is due to the angle when speed and other factors are similar. If hypothetically a suit was able to teleport, and teleported above your head as you were doing a 6B, your 6B would not just immediately recorrect itself and aim straight up. There is actually a tracking angle, unique to each melee, that allows the melee to "guide" towards its target, and if broken, it will cause it to whiff / end. This is why rising upward works often, and is similar to the concept of muzzle correction. The tracking properties of a melee factor largely into how good it is as chasing opponents who are fleeing (when combined with its active length). 

Part of the reason why Master (and Xenon)'s 6B is considered THE best in the game is due to having good values in all of these categories: Amazingly active, with fast pursuit and great vertical tracking, makes it amazing for chasing even players who try and ascend vertically. It's horizontal arc is amazing and will go around basic beams without easy, allowing for great use when closing in. It's hitbox position and good speed make it often win in rainbowstep wars and in head on collisions. 

The GENERAL breakdown of each suits melees in general is:

8B: Best hitbox, and often active frames, but goes straight forward, so won't go around anything. This is generally used when it comes down to a competition of hitboxes (aka clashes)

5B: Best startup but often mediocre hitbox, and also goes straight forward. This is as mentioned earlier, mainly used in competitions of speed.

6B: Best path - 6Bs by nature take a slight arc, letting you go around beams, etc. They're usually slower than 5B, but because of the angle they come at, many people often rely on them even in speed or hitbox contests simply due to how the angle can affect the clash. In addition, its worth noting that due to how the EXVS command interpreter works, its extremely difficult to get an immediate 5B after a rainbowstep, so 6B is often the move that ends up getting used regardless (the game will remember the directional input from the rainbowstep even if you already returned to neutral for a short duration) 

@ArcDivine:

Exia's melees are generally better than Spiegels. Exia in general actually has some of the best melees in the game, so it's no surprise if you're losing to his melees. Your makes you move upward, so at point blank it can beat Exia's melees often by putting you above him into green lock and causing him to whiff. In addition, your CSa is good for beating melees because it flips you and puts bombs in their face. You can even combine both by using 8B and cancelling it immediately into CSa (very strong). Your 2A Kunai split throw can also work to catch melee pursuits since it is kind of wide, but generally I'd stick to CSa and/or 8B.

@Akai: Zusa is break cancelling.