Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AirMaster

[FB] Hi-Nu Gundam General: It's not for show!

Unit: RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam
HP: 680
Pilot: Amuro Ray

Hi-Nu Gundam @ Japanese Wiki.

Movelist

[A] Beam Rifle
Standard BR.
Ammo: 8
Damage: 75

[CSa] Charge Beam Shot
Fires a stronger beam shot.
Damage: 120

[AB] Fin Funnel
Launches Fin Funnel. If no direction is pressed, funnels will deploy around Hi-Nu and be fire linked to BR.
Ammo: 12
Damage: 30

[AC] Hyper Bazooka
Fires a Bazooka round.
Ammo: 3
Damage: 114

[bC] Psycho Frame Resonnance
Activates Psycho Frame. Fin Funnel ammo will increase to 18 and reload faster. Fin Funnels will fire twice. Increases red lock range and movement speed. Enables a command normal by pressing [bC] again. Attacking Hi-Nu in this mode will cause a Funnel to fire attacker. Blocking any attack will also have the same effect.
Ammo: 100

[ABC] Hyper Mega Launcher

Fin Funnels create a barrier that blocks ranged attacks and Hi-Nu will fire it's Hyper Mega Launcher.

(Assault)314 (Burst)291

Changes from EXVS:

CS is a single down shot (120 dmg) similar to Nu Gundam’s

After BC finishes, you retain whatever funnel count you ended with (doesn't go past the normal max)

BD melee adjusted for stability

Basic Combos:

A Starter:

A≫A≫A
Damage: 158

A→CSa
Damage: 159

A≫A→CSa
Damage: 176

A≫A→AC
Damage: 155

A→AC≫A
Damage: 148

A→AB≫AB
Damage: 154

A→AC→CSa
Damage: 161

Media:

Hi-Nu Gundam Combo video

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22908575

If it works like EXVS...on Psycho Frame:

Funnels fire twice. Attacking (Hitting?) Hi-Nu will cause a funnel to fire automatically. After Psycho Frame ends, Fin Funnel ammo drops to 0.

After Psycho Frame ends, Fin Funnel ammo drops to 0.

Interesting bit of information that becomes relevant very soon is that this was changed in FB to only limit the number of funnels back to the standard amount rather than setting to 0 upon psycho frame ending.

Psycoframe also increases redlock range and movement speed. It also gives you some command movement done by inputting BC.

cc8b is amazing.

also, teaming with zeta so that he can refill your funnel ammo with csB may be potent. use up funnels->BC->zeta csB->BC.

If it works like EXVS...on Psycho Frame:

Funnels fire twice. Attacking (Hitting?) Hi-Nu will cause a funnel to fire automatically. After Psycho Frame ends, Fin Funnel ammo drops to 0.

I believe that the funnel will fire even if Hi-Nu blocks whatever's thrown is way in EXVS. I'd have to verify in FB though.

One thing I noticed is that activating Psychoframe instantly recharges your funnel count to 18 even if it at 0 ammo.

I noticed also that the funnel count simply resets to 12 at end of psycho frame if it was at 13+ it does not drop to zero. 

EDIT: Just to be clear. If you have 13+ ammo count on Funnels after Psychoframe ends your ammo count drops to 12, anything less than 12 remains at that count.

Most of his high damage combos end in CSa: 8BB→CSa, CC8B>8BB→CSa, CC8B>CC8B→CSa...which is not at all easy to do with a PS3 controller

____________________________________________________________________________________________

For that reason I always just stick to CC8BB>CC8BBB. Fast execution, good damage, keeps enemy airborne.

CC8B>CC8B→CSa does 248 according to the wiki

CC8B>CC8B>BZ does 242, and pressing L2 at the end is a LOT easier to do than try and hold Square while doing that melee combo ><

____________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: I've realized as of last night that it can be much easier to do combos ending in CSa by mapping L1 to main BR instead of CPU command/battle message transmission.

The CSa itself has great distance and homing and is a Godsend addition to the EXVS hi-nu, in addition to Psychoframe now no longer leaving you at 0 funnels once it expires.

Tactics-wise, this has been my go-to back role suit up to now, but I've seen a number of posts and other threads where people were asking about other suits (Talgeese, etc) and the wiki suggested them to act as supports for hi-nu. Have I been totally wrong in my using this suit as a support role? Or is it just a case of "this suit is good as a support for a 3k cost suit" and hi-nu is just a 3k suit that meshes well with that suit?

Really?? Huh...given his heavy reliance on funnels and limited melee variety (and now the new charged shot), it just screamed "back row suit" to me.

Nah, Hi Nu totally is front.

It can play a back role when teamed with another 3k, but in most cases it'll take point.

Really?? Huh...given his heavy reliance on funnels and limited melee variety (and now the new charged shot), it just screamed "back row suit" to me.

Honestly with it's good A, very good csA for punishes, funnels for offense OR Defense which get reloaded for free on Psychoframe, Yeah Hi Nu is definitely a shot caller in the front. I'm sure if it's playing Front and it's All Around back unit dies first then yeah I'm sure Hi Nu can transition to back, but It's a front suit first and foremost. 

---------------------

also info to add to the OP:

ABC: Funnels form a barrier and Hi Nu fires a sustained Gerobi.  Pretty sure the funnels block projectiles but will not block Melee much like Nu Gundam's funnel barrier

Yeah, funnel barrier in EX attack absorbs some ranged damage, but only up to a certain threshold I guess, as I have definitely been shot out of my EX attack a number of times before.

Getting knocked down will make Funnels that you sent out to attack stop and come back.

I am not completely sure if they do this while deployed around you. 

I think it doesnt matter if they are around you and you have activated Psychoframe. But I'll have to test if Funnels come back early when knocked down during Psychoframe

That's a general funnel mechanic though. The only suits that aren't affected by this are Char's Gelgoog and Stella's Gaia because they're not the ones controlling the funnels.

But that's a discussion for another thread.

I believe that the funnel will fire even if Hi-Nu blocks whatever's thrown is way in EXVS. I'd have to verify in FB though.

Just tested this and it works.

So with hi-nu being what I consider one of my 3 "main" suits, I was delighted to see that the second impact from this weekend had Brett analyzing someone's hi-nu play. It has a lot of great overall information if you're a low or mid tier player about motions, positioning, decision-making, etc, if you have a few hours to watch it. But it being a few hours I decided to write down some of the high points specific for hi-nu play:

CSa vs Funnels

Both of these on their own are important for hi-nu play, so I think it's good to start with the discussion on the inherent trade-off existing between them...

• You cannot charge CSa while you are launching funnels, and likewise you cannot launch your funnels while holding CSa charged, so it's important to decide at any given point which one you are going to use.
  • Funnels: There is I think a slight preference for funnels over CSa. Funnels are very strong in the middle neutral game, and it's a strength you want to use. Also, given that one of your abilities is the Psychoframe that reloads and extends your funnel count by 50%, you don't want to waste funnel ammo not using them. More on that in a moment.
  • CSa: great damage and knockdown, but has some important things to remember - what are you doing while charging your CSa? Typically nothing else other than moving. You're not doing damage, and you're not pressuring.
  • Both abilities have a vernier cost and a stalling tied to them, but both are more severe with CSa. CSa also is a slower start-up and requires a turn-around, whereas funnels do not.

Using and Managing Funnels

• When should I be using my funnels? Brett makes the comment that the best time to use funnels is from "neutral" play (match momentum and potential is equal between both teams). They can be used when you are on the offensive or chasing, but are better employed in the neutral game. A great opportunity to launch them is immediately after a successful CSa knockdown. If timing and distance are managed well, they should be arriving as your opponent is getting up off the ground. Alternatively, you can send them after the enemy partner while waiting for the opponent to get up. Another good moment that was shown was when the enemy is above you out of angle and you are green lock to them.
  • How can I create opportunities to use my funnels? A lot of discussion went into this question, with the simplified answer being "stabilize (momentum)". Rather than getting caught up in the flow of the match and letting it dictate to you what to do, make decisions that allow you to return the game to a neutral state where your advantage lies and you dictate what happens. This sometimes might mean deciding not to chase and press an advantage but instead to keep distance and play with patience. It's a little hard to just write examples of this point as opposed to watching some of the video and seeing where these moments present themselves so that you can identify them in your matches.
  • Don't leave funnel ammo on the table. As I already mentioned above, it's a really important matter to keep an eye on your Psychoframe meter and your funnel count - both before and when it is available to use. If you have 5 funnel ammo sitting on you when you pop Psychoframe, you've effectively wasted those funnels and the damage and pressure they can provide, because Psychoframe completely reloads your funnel ammo. Similarly, when Psychoframe ends it will do one of two things - leave you at your current funnel ammo if below 12, or return you to 12 if you are above it. If you let Psychoframe end with you holding 14 funnels, you wasted 2 funnels. Let that shit fly, getting the highest amount of use balanced with your Psychoframe cooldown.
  • How many funnels should I fire at a time? This actually was not discussed during the review, but I think is a natural and important question. The funnels have a down value of 0.9, so it takes firing 6 to pass the down threshold value of 5, but that is assuming the enemy currently has a down value of 0 sitting on them (down resetting every few seconds). If the enemy already has some down value on them, it may only take 3-4 funnels to cause down, and anything beyond that will have been wasted shots. While you don't want to leave funnel ammo on the table, you don't want to waste it either in situations like that, or leave yourself dry without them. So launching just a few at a time is the safe bet I think - maybe it will cause a down, but even if not you get some damage and some pressure in. (*note: the funnels shouldn't be your go-to for downing an opponent considering you have CSa and BZ; I was just putting the numbers there for information and for expressing don't shoot too many)

Using and Managing CSa

Recall first that there are a couple things to always be thinking about regarding CSa: it's startup time that can leave you vulenerable, and it's charge time that leaves you unable to use other options...

• How and when do I charge my CSa most effectively? First point, how? This doesn't mean the obvious statement "hold a", but is meant to point out to do this without just shooting a single BR and then holding a - a concept that was referred to as "partitioning". You can be charging your CSa between multiple shots of a BR such as during zunda. Other moments to do this are immediately after pressing b, ab, or actually any ability - the point is that if you're going to charge it, start charging immediately during the animation of another attack so that your not just wildly firing BR anytime you want to start charging it. Another key time to do this is right when you land on the ground.
  • Line up your shots! Don't fire your CSa from bad positions - it's not going to hit, and worse it's likely going to leave you vulnerable to get hit. What are some bad positions? Out of angle, obviously; when you or your enemy are rising or at the apex of a jump; after your enemy has landed and so is about to move again. This is the moment that you have to remember the startup animation of the shot and strike at an enemy somewhat preemptively.
  • Don't trap yourself with CSa! Players (myself included here) can get a habit of charging CSa, and then not doing anything with it but you're holding it now with this feeling of "I have to use this" looking for the opportunity to use it. Another bad habit that was pointed out was deciding to charge it while on the ground (again, I have done this). What you wind up doing is trapping yourself if an enemy is close, because, again, the startup time that you will incur now from releasing it leaves you open, and what's worse is you've left yourself with not other offensive options really until you use it. So now you have to try and make space so that you can use it, and it may really just have been better if you'd not charged it in the first place.
  • Pre-shot: this is something that wasn't brought up, but is something I just don't see many people do in the lower tiers, and so am unsure if it is still a "thing." In EXVS there was this concept I learned early where if you have a charged shot, you can and should fire your BR just before the charge finishes, so that you can immediately follow-up the BR with the CS. So you're [holding, holding...quickly release and re-hold A to fire BR, finish, then release CSa].

That's all the notes from it I wrote down. If there's anything here one of the more advanced players feels is worded poorly or could use deeper explanation, by all means よろしく :)

Also, I see some cancels in the starter combos list at the top, but just the simplified list:

AAB

→AC

2b

BC (during Psychoframe activation)

CSaAB

→AC

2b

BC (during Psychoframe activation)

Adding: a couple higher damage combos from the movie I didn't see in the wiki or know:

270  8BBCSa (Wow. That's insane dmg relative to how easy it is to do. It's actually the highest dmg non-EX combo I saw)

252  CC8B>8BBCSa

Adding: a couple higher damage combos from the movie I didn't see in the wiki or know:

270  8BBCSa (Wow. That's insane dmg relative to how easy it is to do. It's actually the highest dmg non-EX combo I saw)

252  CC8B>8BBCSa

Just as an aside, although the damage is high, the main reason that those combos aren't in the wiki is that Hi-Nu's 8bb string has fairly poor range, and is very slow and easy to cut (you're completely stationary while doing the punch combo).

Those combos are fine to do if their partner is on the other side of the screen/respawning, but is easy to cut otherwise.  Very situational, and Hi-nu's strength isn't in the melee game anyways (though he has a very strong one for a ranged suit).

In general for melee combos, the wiki has more combos for the more practical combo starters, which in Hi-nu's case are 6b and his great BDb.

Just as an aside, although the damage is high, the main reason that those combos aren't in the wiki is that Hi-Nu's 8bb string has fairly poor range, and is very slow and easy to cut (you're completely stationary while doing the punch combo).

Those combos are fine to do if their partner is on the other side of the screen/respawning, but is easy to cut otherwise.  Very situational, and Hi-nu's strength isn't in the melee game anyways (though he has a very strong one for a ranged suit).

In general for melee combos, the wiki has more combos for the more practical combo starters, which in Hi-nu's case are 6b and his great BDb.

Yeah, I just went into a few rounds online to try the 8B> out, and it is admittedly hard to find a range and opportunity to try and connect with it ><;

I still wound up using BDb the most for its reach and speed when I needed to melee. But hey, that BDb>8bbCSa is able to do a little more damage than the ones I posted before :D But I still think BDb>BDb>AC is the most reliable one, if you aren't already charging CSa when you close in with the first BDb...

Yeah, I just went into a few rounds online to try the 8B> out, and it is admittedly hard to find a range and opportunity to try and connect with it ><;

I still wound up using BDb the most for its reach and speed when I needed to melee. But hey, that BDb>8bbCSa is able to do a little more damage than the ones I posted before :D But I still think BDb>BDb>AC is the most reliable one, if you aren't already charging CSa when you close in with the first BDb...

BDbb >> BDbb --> CSa is far more cut resistant 4 less damage (248), and is probably his BnB off BDb if you've been charge partitioning. 

BDb >> BDb > ac is fine for a quick down, but the first 2 hits of BDb are cut-resistant enough that it's usually worth going for (BDbb >> BDbb > ac).  Though that might be what you mean, you just might be missing the 2nd b input

Though that might be what you mean, you just might be missing the 2nd b input

Yes, I accidentally left of the followup b for each.

The Front melee (8B) is good for defending but not attacking.
The first hit of 8B has good priority since the hitbox is right in front of hi-nu. Making it good to use against melee attacks.
To attack the opponent you always have 4/6B and CC8B which is far and fast.
Still, I personally dont use much combos other then 4/6B.B>4.6B.B.B And CC8B.B>4/6B.B.B / 4.6B >CS CC8B>CS

The reason why I dont use much combos is becuz Hi-Nu's melee is not that reliable. Hi-Hu's play style is more like Hit and Run + Mid range shooting.
You have funnels to help you attack enemies. All you need to do is spam funnels, link your next move to the funnel hit. Keep doing that and when you are out of ammo, use psycho frame to refill it.
Use the same tactics over and over to win the game.

Use 4/6B only if the enemy is dashing close to you. Or else just use the above method.
Not to mention you have to use the CSa wisely. There are a lot of tricks for the CSa.
Such as CC8B(MISS)>CSa. Or 2B>CSa.