Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeaM

[FB] Hildolfr (Tank) Thread

fDMxCbK.jpg

Name: YMT-05 Hildolfr

Pilot: Demeziere Sonnen

Cost: 1000

HP: 300

Movement Type: Ground | Mode Change: Yes | Transform: No | Special Burst Effects: No

JP Wiki

Introduction

Hildolfr is a long range suit that has many different weapons as well as good movement. Hildolfr's movement has been described as being one of the tougher suit-specific things to learn in EXVS, due to pretty much pushing buttons constantly the entire match, but with practice the player can learn all of the brake cancels and sidestep shenanigans Hildolfr is known for. Due to its low HP, learning how to move properly with it is very important. It was nerfed quite a bit coming from EXVS to Full Boost, but is still no slouch, and only went from being completely stupid to just being a good suit. No Sean-level nerfs here!

On a personal note, moving well with Hildolfr and dodging stuff like a champ is probably my favorite thing to do in this game. It's really fun.

Movelist (MS Mode)

Weapons

[A] Zaku Machinegun

[Damage: 112/20 shots][Ammo: 80][Down Value:?][Proration:?][Reload Time:?/80 shots][Type: Live Ammo][stagger]

Serviceable MG, not bad when you are out of everything else. Fires up to 20 rounds at a time.

[AB] 30cm Cannon (HE Round)

[Damage: 94][Ammo: 6][Down Value:?][Proration: -40%][Reload Time: 10s/6 shots][Type: Live Ammo][Down]

Standard ammo, and the only one available in MS mode. Ammo is shared with tank mode.

[2AB] Zaku II Summon

[Damage: 104][Ammo: 1][Down Value:?][Proration:?%][Reload Time: 10s/1 shot][Type: Live Ammo][stagger]

[AC] Smoke discharge

[Ammo: 100][Reload Time: 20s/1 shot][Cooldown: 8s][Type: Jammer]

Pops the smoke. Cuts tracking and lasts 5 seconds. No longer starts the match with smoke available!

[bC] Mode Change

Switches to tank mode.

[ABC] EX Burst Attack

[Damage: 198]

Hildolfr spins like it's EXVS again and fires a bunch of HE rounds.

Melee

[5B]

BBBB -

[Damage: 204]

B8B -

[Damage: 118]

[8B]

8B - Hildolfr uses the recoil of its cannon to slam into the target.

[Damage: 81]

[4/6B]

4/6B - Hildolfr uses the recoil of its cannon to slam into the target.

[Damage: 81]

[2B]

2B - Hildolfr launches itself into the target.

[Damage: 80]

[bD8B]

BD8B - Hildolfr spins with its shovels extended to hit the target.

[Damage: 113]

Movelist (Tank Mode)

Weapons

[A] 30cm Cannon (Incendiary Round)

[Damage: 115][Ammo: 1][Down Value:?][Proration: ?%][Reload Time: 8s/1 shot][Type: Live Ammo/Explosion][Down]

Kaboom. Makes a big explosion when it hits.

[A] 30cm Cannon (APFSDS Round)

[Damage: 115][Ammo: 2][Down Value:?][Proration: -20%][Reload Time: 11s/2 shots][Type: Live Ammo][Down]

Pew. A fast round comparable to a shot from Dynames or Cherudim(but not that fast), good for catching landings and people doing slow + stationary attacks(e.g. nukes)

[A] 30cm Cannon (Anti-air shrapnel Round)

[Damage: 66][Ammo: 1][Down Value:?][Proration: ?%][Reload Time: ?s/1 shot][Type: Live Ammo][stagger]

Crackle? Fires a big spread that looks a lot like fireworks. At long range it's pretty useless, but up close it's not bad.

[AB] 30cm Cannon (HE Round)

[Damage: 94][Ammo: 6][Down Value:?][Proration: -40%][Reload Time: 10s/6 shots][Type: Live Ammo][Down]

Ammo is shared with MS mode.

[2AB] Zaku II Summon

[Damage: 104][Ammo: 1][Down Value:?][Proration:?%][Reload Time: 10s/1 shot][Type: Live Ammo][stagger]

[AC] Smoke discharge

[Ammo: 100][Reload Time: 20s/1 shot][Cooldown: 1s][Type: Jammer]

Pops the smoke. Cuts tracking and lasts 5 seconds. No longer starts the match with smoke available!

[B] Ammo change

Cycles between the three ammo types that are fired with the A button.

[bC] Mode Change

Switches to MS mode.

[C] Spin

Spin.

Melee

None!

Mode Differences

MS Mode: Slower than tank mode, but has the ability to block as well as smack people with shovels. Can cancel AB into BC to zip back into tank mode and replenish boost. It can get airlifted too but that doesn't have much use.

Tank Mode: Faster, has more ammo options (but loses the machinegun). Can't block or melee, but it can spin. Whee.

Strategy

Stagger the timing of your shots. As fun as it can be to fire them out as fast as you can, doing so makes it a lot easier for the target to dodge them.

Watch your boost meter. While playing as the tank you will pretty much never run out of boost, provided you mode switch before overheating.

Be sure to integrate sidestepping into your movement, just boost dashing isn't always enough to dodge stuff. If you see a red arrow that indicates an attack is headed your way, try to sidestep out of its vector, e.g. if an attack is coming from the front, sidestep left or right.

ABYJEAf.png

When someone is trying to shoot you, it is best to have your suit facing them to decrease the size of your hitbox. This is less important at longer ranges, but when closer and/or vs. bigger beams it makes a big difference. Spinning can be used to change the direction you are facing by switching modes when the tank is lined up in the direction you want it to be facing.

y3D8iM9.png

If your partner is being attacked with a melee combo, the APFSDS round is usually your best bet to try and cut the enemy. For suits with tougher melee combos to cut, like Quanta, cutting is generally a crapshoot(though you may be able to punish the landing).

If you are being approached by a melee suit and can't pick them off of you in tank mode, pop smoke and switch to MS mode to be able to block. For suits with whips like X1 or Master, blocking will be the safest bet to take. Against suits without whips, another option after popping smoke is to boost away/sidestep and fire AB or sidestep and go in for your own melee attempt. Generally attempting to melee a melee suit with the tank is a horrible idea, but with smoke active it becomes a decent (and entertaining) strategy. Upon getting a knockdown, or at least stunning them, waste no time in getting out of there. Try to avoid getting knocked down while in tank mode, especially if you don't have smoke-- you are almost guaranteed to lose a huge chunk of HP.

Cancel Routes

MS Mode: AB→BC

Full Boost Changes

Overall mobility nerfed

Tank mode 5B changed

Tank mode Main 1(Incendiary) guidance, muzzle correction, explosion size nerfed

Tank mode Main 2(APFSDS) Muzzle correction nerfed, guidance slightly buffed, speed nerfed, reload time increased, damage reduced.

Tank mode Main 3 (Anti-air) now blows back instead of normal stagger on hit

New Move: Tank Mode Main 4 added.

Sub proration, guidance, blast size, damage nerfed

Smokescreen starts at 0 instead of 100, reload time increased to 20s and cooldown time is 1s

BC mode change slower

Tank mode brake cancel spin is slower

Gained a Burst Attack

nerf champ

A bit of tech I found out recently, tank has a technique to cut down the reload time of smokescreen from 18 seconds to 10 seconds. It's performed as follows

1. Pop smoke

2. Wait until smoke runs out

3. Switch Forms.

To understand why this works, one has to understand how the cooldown of smokescreen is calculated. After smokescreen runs out, there is 8 seconds of cooldown where it does not reload at all, while the little red ammo bar actually fills up in the last 10 seconds. The 8 seconds of cooldown only applies to the form that you ended smokescreen in, so by switching forms you can potentially reduce the cooldown of smokescreen all the way down to 10 seconds, assuming you don't form change again after. The recommended way to do this is to end smoke in mobile armor mode, and switch immediately to tank, since you spend more time in tank mode anyways. Do note that whenever you switch back to mobile armor mode, the reload stops until 8 seconds have passed in MA mode.

I'm normally not a fan of 1000 suits but i gotta say, there's something gratifying about winning a match against superpowered robots using a semi-normalish tank.

Does anyone have any guidelines to getting the hang of evasion with this... "suit"? I honestly have trouble comprehending the step shenanigans it has available with mode change, particularly the common motion (at least in general/high execution play) where tank seems to mode switch and step at the same time (I'll append some footage here when I find some).

I just haven't been able to get in a flow with this suit whereas other "high execution" suits like Heavyarms have some sort of safety net of familiarity to fall back on. Granted I know I don't yet have the dexterity to mash it out with this thing at any high level, but the base issue has been gluing the spin, Sub->BC in MS mode, and step shenanigans (which I can't perform at all) to change his hitbox/brake cancel together into a cohesive movement package.

Also looking at the OP again, what's Main 4 in tank mode under FB changes? It may be a mistake or I may be mistaken, but at this moment I'm drawing a blank after Anti-Air fire.

there is no main 4, I think it used to be the zaku summon before they moved it to the 2AB input. 

2AB is the most awkward input for an ammo ability in the game, I swear. Every time I get this guy on shuffle I go through "AC? no. 2AC? no. 4/6AC?? no. omg 2B??? no. omfg where is it!?"

A bit of tech I found out recently, tank has a technique to cut down the reload time of smokescreen from 18 seconds to 10 seconds. It's performed as follows

1. Pop smoke

2. Wait until smoke runs out

3. Switch Forms.

A little nuance about this trick, that I can probably best illustrate by example. Let's say you:

1) Pop smoke in tank form

2) Switch to MS mode before smoke runs out

3) Switch to tank after smoke runs out to bypass cooldown.

4) Pop smoke later in tank form, but end smoke in tank form

If this were a scenario, then the 8 second cooldown will still apply even if you switch to MA mode, which could lengthen your wait for smoke if you find yourself switching forms a lot in battle (both forms would have the 8 second cooldown applied to them).

From what I understand, ending smoke in the form that you didn't end in the previous smoke negates the cooldown bypass. That being said, if you, say, ended 3 smokes like MS -> tank -> MS, then when you switch to tank form after the third smoke ends any time spent cooling down in tank form in the previous cycle will now apply in the new cooldown period. For example:

1) Pop smoke in tank, end smoke in MS -> switch to tank to bypass cooldown

2) Pop smoke again, end in tank form -> stay in tank form for 4 seconds (arbitrary), then switch to MS mode and wait for 8 second cooldown + smoke refill (cooldown not bypassed)

3) Pop smoke again, end in MS form -> switch to tank, instead of no cooldown or 8 seconds of cooldown you will have 4 seconds of cooldown. MS mode still has the standard 8.

At least I think that's how it works. It's honestly a bit confusing experimenting with both forms and making sure to do whatever in whichever form. Long story short JUST ALWAYS END SMOKE IN MS MODE