Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

The Chainsaw Incident (2D Fighting Game)

Wow, so we're actually going to talk about this? Well... ok.

Honestly I think they're hamming up the gore n' shock value too much, actually ruins the aesthetic which I do kind of like. Gameplay looks pretty damn bland at the moment, but it is in the early stages of development and we've only see 2 characters for like 15 seconds, so I'll reserve judgment, but damn lol that screen control. Is this Western UNiB? D: I hope the overambitious nature of wanting some 20+ characters (out the get go?) in your first iteration doesn't hurt the balancing and viability of characters

Also Heca, can you not embed the full size images?

Didn't imagine it was possible to have this much blur in a fighting game. Or chainsaws, for that matter - every single character so far has one in some form. The style is a mixed bag, and obviously the game has nothing else going about it for now (the fact that the Facebook admin speaks in poor English doesn't help, either), but hey, if they manage to deliver a robust roster and keep that common chainsaw theme fresh over so many characters, I can only respect them. Just please, don't try to be a 2D Death Cargo.

Look man, a paltry 20 characters is nothing compared to the unlimited number of characters that DEATH CARGO will have to offer as downloads for FREE.

Also, the gameplay footage looked a bit... cluttered. We'll see how things pan out when there's more to show though.

I groaned when I saw it in action. Looks like it was made in Flash. They're obviously trying to ape Skullgirls, but without any idea of how to design interesting characters, animations, or fighting mechanics. This game and Death Cargo are the modern equivalents of shit-tier 90's fighters like Bloodstorm and Kasumi Ninja that sold themselves entirely on gore and lurid flashiness. (MK gets a pass for its iconic status, relatively high production values and for UMK3 actually being a solid fighter.)

This game's designs are sitting on a 3-way intersection of ew, meh and kinda cool. Trying to stretch one type of weapon over an entire fighting game roster is both daring and dumb.

Long story short, my opinion is mixed on this.

Basically what you get when you have a people who don't play fighting games attempt to make one.

Exactly this. Also, looks like the characters are too big and could be weird and clunky and messy. Like playing a game where everyone is Tager.

More characters revealed, some of which don't even have any chainsaws on them!

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/70006/new-characters-from-the-chainsaw-incident-revealed

Meanwhile, headlines such as "Move Aside BlazBlue, This PS4 and Vita Fighter Is Stranger Than You" make me feel like the devs (or some game "journalists") are just not that knowledgeable about the genre. I mean, BlazBlue isn't even that weird compared to some other games.

Just noticed that we did get some gameplay info, even if it requires a translation from English into English:

http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/25/the-chainsaw-incidents-roster-expands-with-six-new-character-reveals-gameplay-information-released/

I understand that Gas is some kind of amazing auto-combo, but the rest of the mechanics connected to it go way over my head. Like, what's a "Stall"? A stagger, a dizzy, or what? What's an "Interrupt", a parry? A sequence of presses? Why can't the developers speak Fighting?

And the throw system seems a bit too complicated for little reward. Like, what's the difference between a launcher and a ground-bounce? The enemy flies upwards in either case. If it's about the height, why would you ever go for the mid throw? I suppose they could go for the KI-like tech mindgames here, but throw-techs are far from being as relevant as combo-breakers to make into a whole major mechanic.

More characters revealed, some of which don't even have any chainsaws on them!

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/70006/new-characters-from-the-chainsaw-incident-revealed

Meanwhile, headlines such as "Move Aside BlazBlue, This PS4 and Vita Fighter Is Stranger Than You" make me feel like the devs (or some game "journalists") are just not that knowledgeable about the genre. I mean, BlazBlue isn't even that weird compared to some other games.

To mainstream gamers Blazblue is weird as fuck:

>Magic Loli

>Lollipop-loving catgirl scientist with a nuke fetish

>Crazy dude literally in love with his brother

>Squirrel-Chick who wears practically nothing

>Fabulous man who looks like a chick and fights with drill-scarves

>Vampire loli

Man that's not even half the cast.

The thing is, there are many games that are even weirder. I suppose BlazBlue is just the most popular of them right now.

The Kickstarter is getting late, but for now, we got a nice interview that clearly shows the developers' priorities:

http://gamingbolt.com/the-chainsaw-incident-interview-animating-horrifying-and-emboldening-the-2d-fighting-genre

That said, they still can't explain their mechanics to save their life, and the focus on the visuals is obvious. At least the animation is supposed to be better than in the initial trailer (does that mean less blur? I sure hope so).

Uhh, at least it stays true to its "horror game" image? :v:

And man, those rounds were done in the blink of an eye. It almost feels like Divekick with chainsaws now.

Gamespot interview.

For those that love infinite corner juggles, etc, we are going to make you work for it, and punish you if you can't pull it off.

Ugh, combo-oriented.

The Masahiro Onoguchi listed in their team is the same Masahiro Onoguchi who made EF-12, as confirmed here.

The Kickstarter page is up, and apparently, the game is going to feature some overblown gem-like customization system. Yeah, good luck getting FGC's trust with that.

I must say, they've been doing a pretty good job at recognizing their mistakes and giving people what they want so far. They've lowered the goal to 275k (though it's still unlikely that they're going to reach it), and might lower it even more if they don't get funded this time. They've shown some screenshots of actual in-game graphics, and it looks much closer to actual fighting games than blurry cartoon. And they removed the unlocking aspect of custom movesets, making it closer to SFIIIS and the like. They even posted a whole laundry list of mechanics they might implement, and most of those sound more cohesive than their Gas-Clutch thingamajig.

All that said, the devs are still as... eccentric as they've ever been, and one might wonder why most of those mistakes were even made in the first place. But for now, my attitude went from "I couldn't care less" to "I might check this out when it's out".

If nothing else, I gotta give them props for originality. The aesthetic is 90s comic book gore meets Tim Burton chic-gothic sprinkled with a teensy pinch of anime--which is to say I've never seen anything quite like it. Most of the character designs are pretty inventive as well.

I'd probably be more interested in this if it was 2007-2009 or somewhere in there. In the present day, the market has become so oversaturated with 2D fighters that a new game in the genre has to do something really spectacular to capture my attention. And it's hard to get properly hyped for a new game when 90% of the media for it is concept material. TCI looks interesting, but that's pretty much as far as it goes for me.

well, they made an update on Facebook, saying that they will be delaying the crowdfunding of the game till after they build some hype at E3

"Firstly, we want to thank you all greatly for your support of our Kickstarter project to date. We feel that this is the best time now to pause the project, and come back after we have applied everyone's suggestions and feedback, to relaunch the campaign after E3.

We will keep funding tiers the same as current, and possibly a few adjustments along the way, and we hope sincerely that you stick with us for the relaunch.

Again thank you so much for the support, it means the world to us. We will also be turning to you all again to ask whether you want the relaunch on kickstarter or Indiegogo.

This page will be updated as usual."