Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[Xrd] Venom Gameplay Discussion

i've noticed that moving balls hit by stinger aim go into place again, but what determines where the go? or am i completely wrong :o

i've noticed that moving balls hit by stinger aim go into place again, but what determines where the go? or am i completely wrong :o

From OP:

Stinger Aim and Carcass Raid ([4]6 S/HS and [2]8S/HS respectively)

The main change here is that shooting a ball on the screen will now send the ball used by these moves back or forward, and put it in a neutral position (ie, lined up in formation).

Stinger S moves it back. Stinger H moves it forward.

In the case of Carcass, the balls continue/reverse in the direction they were traveling.

I'm noticing Bishop Run Out getting used a bit more. Mostly used to close out rounds.

Usually Stinger will be done right afterward. The rebound from Bishop will then go upward (similar to doing 214P, 5P, D Stinger in AC+R) and because the Bishop hits the Stinger Ball on the way back, that ball goes downard. This creates a lot of space control (and of course you still have a super ball).

i wonder if you can set a ball, make contact with a normal, then YRC that normal once the ball is launched? like YRC j.H ball in neutral sounds nasty

Should be very possible in theory.

I think grounded moves would be better for this concept though, since you'd be able to actually pursue and combo. After a j.HS/j.D, all you have is airdash, if that reaches.

The matchup looks even-ish against Ky thanks to Durandal Call enhancing his projectiles. Do you guys feel the same? Or do you feel it's still lop sided in Venom's favor, if not in Ky's favor now?

I don't think that makes a huge difference. You can see when the marks are setup and adapt and play it accordingly.

That said, I wouldn't use the term lopsided at all to describe the matchup, or any matchup where it's 6-4, regardless of who has the advantage. AC+R was probably about even.

Dropping by to say that I'm interested in maining Venom come Xrd. Question: What system will be the tournament standard for Xrd? PS4 or PS3?

Hi CCVengeance

As a TO myself, I'd have to say PS3 is VERY likely. TOs simply have PS3s available at this moment, nor are there other fighters exclusively for PS4 that mandate that TOs will get them (yet).

The PS3 and PS4 versions of Xrd will be the same outside of resolution though. Depending on the local scene in PR, I may look into finding a way to play with your controller for PS4 (or getting a PS4 pad if you are a pad player, they work on PS3s already!), just to be sure.

I also have to recommend, if you're not already, to pick up GG now. Getting familiar with GG on some level will help you tremendously going into Xrd!

Hi CCVengeance

As a TO myself, I'd have to say PS3 is VERY likely. TOs simply have PS3s available at this moment, nor are there other fighters exclusively for PS4 that mandate that TOs will get them (yet).

The PS3 and PS4 versions of Xrd will be the same outside of resolution though. Depending on the local scene in PR, I may look into finding a way to play with your controller for PS4 (or getting a PS4 pad if you are a pad player, they work on PS3s already!), just to be sure.

I also have to recommend, if you're not already, to pick up GG now. Getting familiar with GG on some level will help you tremendously going into Xrd!

Thanks, Man. And dont worry I already have AC for Xbox. As for my local scene I've been out the loop since the site I used to get info has been deleted.

Sounds like c.S is worse as an anti-air.

CH 5HS stagger is still pretty short (sounds like it's best to just go into whatever you planned on doing on normal hit regardless.)

2P has jump cancel.

Dead Angle wallbounces in corner?

5P and 5K gatling into 6hs

Speculated: Ball attack level down from 3 to 1? I asked Ruu on twitter and he said that Ball level seems level 3.

Formation pictures are there and labeled. I'll add them soon.

QV:

Slight disadvantage on block?

P version has different range than the others?

Ball generated lasts longer.

Teleport now goes to newest ball generated rather than old?

Hellfire doesn't affect Dark Angel much.

Triple posting *chirp*

Ruu and Kedako made some frame data. Here's the Google Translate. I'll clean it up as well later on.

System

-----------------------------------------

Bakusute: the entire 13F. Invincible 7F.

Jump Migration: 4

F.

Frame Table

P: 6F (whole 17F): attack Lv.1.

K: 7F (the entire 24F): attack Lv.1.

Near S: 5F (whole 35F): attack Lv.5. Occurs: the second stage 7F, 3 stage: 9F. Effect Shi blow effect + floated above the third stage hit the ground.

Far S: 9F (whole 28F): attack Lv.3.

HS: 10F (whole 31F): attack Lv.5. Ground counter Staggers effect.

Dust: 25F (whole 47F): attack Lv.3.

DAA: -F (whole -F): attack Lv.-.

6P: 7F (the entire 29F): attack Lv.3.

6HS: 15F (whole 43F): attack Lv.5. The ground hit knocks down. Effect slammed air hit.

2P: 7F (the entire 20F): attack Lv.1.

2K: 5F (whole 16F): attack Lv.1.

2S: 6F (whole 26F): attack Lv.3.

Occurrence of 13F Lv.4.2 stage attack: 2HS: (whole 36F) 7F.

Occurrence of 22F Lv.3.2 stage attack: leg sweeping: (whole 43F) 6F.

JP: 7F (the entire 21F): attack Lv.1.

JK: 9F (whole 32F): attack Lv.3.

JS: 7F (the entire 32F): attack Lv.3.

JHS: 10F (whole 35F): attack Lv.3. Effect slammed air hit.

JD: 12F (39F + overall after landing 5F): attack Lv.4.

Ball generation: -F (whole 26F): attack Lv.-. The derivation to teleport from 25F eyes. The ball appeared to 11F eyes.

QV: 20F (whole 38F): attack Lv.-. The ball appeared to 13F eyes. Hit stop 5F. Partial generation ground hit knocks down.

The ball appeared to attack Lv.3.13F Eyes: (time + 25F was the entire reservoir 13 +) 7F and away from the button: QV (Tame). Special hit stop 6F. Partial generation ground hit knocks down. Two-stage (14 ~ 25F), 3 stage (26 ~ 62F), 4 stage (63F).

Derived teleportation: -F (whole 20F): attack Lv.-.

Teleportation: -F (whole 20F): attack Lv.-.

The ball appeared to attack Lv3.10F Eyes: Stinger Aim (S version): 15F (whole 43F).

After you release the button (time + 33F was reservoir 10 + overall) 5F:: Stinger Aim (Tame S version) Lv3.2 stage attack (13 ~ 33F), 3 stage (34 ~ 59F), 4 stage (60 ~ 80F). Special hit stop 6F.

The ball appeared to attack Lv3.4F Eyes: Stinger Aim (HS version): 9F (whole 44F).

After you release the button (time + 40F was reservoir 4+ whole) 5F:: Stinger Aim (Tame HS version) Lv3.2 stage attack (13 ~ 33F), 3 stage (34 ~ 59F), 4 stage (60 ~ 80F). Special hit stop 6F.

The ball appeared to attack Lv3.7F Eyes: carcass Ride (S version): 16F (whole 32F).

The ball appeared to attack Lv3.7F Eyes: carcass Ride (HS version): 13F (whole 48F).

(Up to the entire landing after landing + 6F) 18F:: Mad Struggle (S Version) attack Lv.3. Special hit stop 6F. 4 maximum hit.

(Up to the entire landing after landing + 33F) 16F:: Mad Struggle (HS Version) attack Lv.3. 4 hit + special hit stop 6F down part maximum. Partial occurrence after landing 6F kicked up. Partial effect Shi blow hit on it kicked up.

Double-head mode bit (S version): 9F (whole 42F): attack Lv.-. Special hit stop 6F. Effect float hit the ground.

Double-head mode bit (HS version): 15F (the entire 56 ~ 81F): attack Lv.-. Special hit stop 6F. Effect float hit the ground. Occurs, varies with the distance between the opponent whole.

116 + 18-F 7+ production (116 + 36F whole 7+ Director: 159): Dark Angel attack Lv.5. Special hit stop 0F.

(Up to the entire landing after landing + 9F) 50:: Red Hale: 40 + 0F 10+ directing attack Lv.1.

Ball appeared to attack Lv.1.56F Eyes: Bishop run out: (: 73F whole -F) 10+ dim + F. I would like popping in again after hitting 57F eyes. Duration changes the number of balls are placed on the screen upon activation. Zero: 360F, 1 piece: 450F, 2 pcs: 541F, 3 pieces: 630F, 4 pieces: 720F.

Blow preparation (usually): - F (whole 52F): attack Lv.-. Gauge changes in 14F eyes.

Attack Lv.-: (42 + 5F whole 5 + dim) F -: (dim) blow preparation. Gauge changes in 15F eyes.

Attack Lv.-: (30 + 53F the entire 9 + dim) 30 + 17F 9+ dim: (Normal) deadly blow.

Attack Lv.-: (30 + 50F the entire 5 + dim) 30 + 14F 5+ dim: (dim) deadly blow.

I like to think I've kept up marginally well with this game, but lately I've been slipping due to real life things, so forgive this ignorant question, I think everything I know is outdated.

I've seen conflicting opinions on Venom's status in this game, so I'd like to ask what the consensus seems to be, is his reward good when played properly?  Is he outclassed, with chars that do his job better than he does?  What I'm mostly asking is, if I enjoyed playing him and found decent success with him in the older versions of GG (particularly X2 Reload and older AC) would it be worth continuing to play him in Xrd?  I'm NOT asking if he's improved from AC+R (I think most would say he has) or what specific tier he's in (every list has a differing opinion), but rather if the payback from playing him well makes him worth investing in and if he is fundamentally solid enough to perform well consistently provided he's played right?

Hmm it's a bit hard to say.

If you're truly trying to play only to win, you should never play Venom. You're doing more work for less reward (even in AC, his strongest version, he is just a strong mid tier).

But in any version of Venom, or almost any Guilty Gear character, if you play with him at a skill level comparative or better than your opponent, you can win.

I think Ramlethal and Chipp give him a much tougher time based on videos, those 2 are just easier to pick up and be effective quicker.

I've seen conflicting opinions on Venom's status in this game, so I'd like to ask what the consensus seems to be, is his reward good when played properly?  Is he outclassed, with chars that do his job better than he does?  What I'm mostly asking is, if I enjoyed playing him and found decent success with him in the older versions of GG (particularly X2 Reload and older AC) would it be worth continuing to play him in Xrd?  I'm NOT asking if he's improved from AC+R (I think most would say he has) or what specific tier he's in (every list has a differing opinion), but rather if the payback from playing him well makes him worth investing in and if he is fundamentally solid enough to perform well consistently provided he's played right?

You can absolutely perform well with Venom consistently, as with every other character. However, the amount of work you potentially have to put in compared to the reward you get is probably not in your favor when you look at alternative characters like Ramlethal. 

If its of any use, as far as I know Fino has started to use Zato-1 as his mainstay rather than Venom in XRD now. 

You can absolutely perform well with Venom consistently, as with every other character. However, the amount of work you potentially have to put in compared to the reward you get is probably not in your favor when you look at alternative characters like Ramlethal. 

If its of any use, as far as I know Fino has started to use Zato-1 as his mainstay rather than Venom in XRD now.

I asked Fino about it, it seems more about having fun with Zato rather than being stronger. He was particularly inspired by Ogawa when he came through and cleaned house at Mikado fairly recently.

I asked Fino about it, it seems more about having fun with Zato rather than being stronger. He was particularly inspired by Ogawa when he came through and cleaned house at Mikado fairly recently.

It does seem kinda fun when you can oppress people at neutral.

So I've finally broken down and I've decided on getting Xrd.  I wasn't initially going to get it since my main (Testament) was taken out, but I like GG an awful lot.  Through recommendations and just generally liking the character and his playstyle, I've decided on Venom.  Is it worth it to practice him now in +R or has too much changed?