Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HoudiniJr100

[Xrd] Slayer Gameplay Discussion

@ApertureBlack: Oh yeah that's true. I was talking about opening people up outside oki, though, so I think counterhits are not really relevant for this. When you mention Faust do you mean that it hits late enough that you can combo off it vs him without CH/knockdown? Because that would be pretty sweet if true.

Fausts crouching hitbox is low enough that with the reduced recorvery frames on 6K you can link a 2P/5S after it.

Its pretty nice.

Is there any compiled list of 1.1 combos or an updated guide for Slayer? I'm trying to learn him. :SL:

I made this tutorial the other week. Might as well post it in this thread too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2zoSmV_IU&feature=youtu.be

If there's anything anyone here thinks is missing from said vid, let me know so I can make an addendum or link to an example that's already out there.

EDIT:

Has anyone found any good reliable combos off of a spaced 2HS < 5K in the corner vs characters like Millia and May?

I havnt been able to find anything worthwhile.

As you already know, j.K xx j.214K works at slightly before max range 2H, 5K. What's interesting is that if the full hits connect (only one hit does at max range) and they're mashing airtech, it puts them in a pretty bad spot to mash throw/j.H/j.2H/hairpin. Better than nothing.

Obviously, 2H RC 214K~P or YRC, Airthrow's going to be giving better payoffs if you've got the resources.

I made this tutorial the other week. Might as well post it in this thread too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2zoSmV_IU&feature=youtu.be

If there's anything anyone here thinks is missing from said vid, let me know so I can make an addendum or link to an example that's already out there.

Great video overall. :3

I disagree with saying you can only use Helter Skelter as a meaty. It works after a level 5 RC or even in pressure when you have them scared. In particular once you have them respecting the falling j.H you can mix in late airdash or empty low. Hase uses it plenty in the most recent sets I watched of his play.

In my experience, abare 2P mash doesn't usually go into a real combo. Generally you'll get 2P2P, then you've confirmed your hit and they're too far away for a 2S or 2D to connect. In my matches and what I've seen in match vids, usually you get 2P mash then frame trap with 5K, or 6H if they're respecting.

I found the section on 5D[9] weird where it says you won't get much more than that given that knockdown combos exist off midscreen 5D. They are definitely too hard for a beginner video, but the wording seems to suggest they don't exist at all.

I disagree with saying you can only use Helter Skelter as a meaty. It works after a level 5 RC or even in pressure when you have them scared. In particular once you have them respecting the falling j.H you can mix in late airdash or empty low.

THIS. Hester Skelter is much better than people make it out to be.

Thanks for the feedback. I've adjusted some of the notes accordingly.

Out of complete speculation, if Slayer got a new move for Revelator, what would you think it would be? S/H dandystep? Feint Mappa? What do you think he could get that would work well with XRD Slayer?

I want both S/H dandy and feint mappa to return, why did they even remove it in the first place. (I think S dandy was removed because of Helter Skelter, w/c is stupid since HS isn't that scary).

Please stop underestimating Helter Skelter, lol. And no, I think they got rid of the forward dandies because they gave Slayer long dash for crossing up people.

I'm not downplaying HS,  it's just that opponents can just 2P and Throw slayer before the projectile even comes out (HS-> YRC as slayer hits the ground is a very tight link, yet he can get thrown so easily =/).

HS is rather fast, so unless you're getting predictable with it people won't just mash 2P to stop it. If they guess wrong they may eat a big counterhit off pilebunker or something.

HS, DHD, DoT. Lock dat burst. It's even easier now in 1.1, at least hitting the DHD. And if you have 100% and they don't have burst from the start DHD forces stand so you can HS, j.HS, DHD, c.S (f.S), j.D, DHD, c.S, 2D/c.S, f.S, 5K, 236K

People are starting to pick up and better players have started to Blitz it. But I still like HS especially if you use it sparingly and mix well it's very viable.

Slayer's mixups off dandy steps are strong now that Under Pressure is +0 on block (it's pretty ridiculous if you think about it; they made it -3 in Slash and AC for a reason, you know) and It's Late is +5 on crouching hit. Being able to omit Under Pressure and instead go for a FAST cross-up (it's at least as fast as Anji's cross-up off Fuujin) that's completely safe on block (+12!!!) is just....

EDIT: Oh I know what I want to see in Revelator! Helter Skelter off Under Pressure!

...Too much?

Make Slayer's c.S shoot bats and give it the same hitbox as Elphelt's c.S.

It would be more balanced if it was 2H and it shot out little bat cluster bombs like pineberry.

Make Slayer's c.S shoot bats and give it the same hitbox as Elphelt's c.S.

This completely buckled me. Lolll

I'm pretty new to Slayer. I was using Chipp but got tired of every battle being an uphill fight. I find that Slayer has a good balance of movement, speed, and damage output. I find myself really struggling against Sin, Ky, and Sol. Any pointers? Also, Dandy Step usage eludes me. I find myself getting punished frequently when I use it. I appreciate any pointers or advice.

Vs Sol, you need to outpoke him with your normals while maintaining a safe distance (Slayer's normals are better than Sol's). VV can be a pain, so do not try to rush him down, unless you have tension for yrc/rrc, I guess. Always be prepared to anti-air him too; one mistimed Riot Stomp can make Sol eat a big CH off Slayer's 6P.

Ky has better normals and better projectiles, but a worse DP. So that means you can play more aggressively against him (and you should). A bad DP means that Ky is more vulnerable to mixups and oki's. And thankfully Slayer has good mixups and oki's.

Outside of in combos and oki's, you generally don't use dandy steps much unless you have meter for rc. If you do have meter, you can do some crazy stuff with dandy steps.

1. D-step into option select pilebunker/yrc;

2. Empty D-step into yrc just to mess with your opponent's mind;

3. D-step into helter skelter into yrc;

4. Etc.

If you're at neutral and don't have meter, you may try to land Under Pressure off a dandy step if you feel gutsy enough. (If you can make your opponent block under pressure, it's a happy day for Slayer since his mixups off that move are crazy.) You may also try doing d-step into helter once in a while, since helter recovers fast.

I'm pretty new to Slayer. I was using Chipp but got tired of every battle being an uphill fight. I find that Slayer has a good balance of movement, speed, and damage output. I find myself really struggling against Sin, Ky, and Sol. Any pointers? Also, Dandy Step usage eludes me. I find myself getting punished frequently when I use it. I appreciate any pointers or advice.

watch hase against those high lvl sols and learn from it  one tip : get ready to DOT those random gunflames :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGs5sNanbc

watch hase against those high lvl sols and learn from it  one tip : get ready to DOT those random gunflames :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGs5sNanbc

I agree that DOT/BDC-DOT is a viable tool to blow-up Gunflame spamming in general... 

But if you're referring to Hase using DOT after the blocked 5K>2D into Gunflame around the 25:30 mark of the video (which I consider more of a Yomi situation than an actual punish), you don't need to rely on DOT there. At that spacing and with a good read, Slayer can just forward-dash through Gunflame and get right back on-top of Sol. 

This has worked for Slayer since Xrd 1.0  And it works after blocking multiple gatling routes into Gunflame as well. 

In terms of "theory fighter"...if Sol has the meter to YRC after Gunflame, then this obviously changes the situation for a successful FDC and your options afterwards. But it would change the outcome of successfully landing a DOT as well.  

Sorry, this rant is just from me analyzing the situation. And admiring Hase at the same time.

Thanks for the tips! I'm feeling a bit better about some of these harder match ups.

i saw some revelator gameplay and we have a problem: say goodbye to  pilebunker loops the new dust animation ruins it all enjoy it while you can folks (it was too good to be real )

I suspected that could happen. But you can still get 3 or 4 piles and do a different ender, I don't think we should be much worried.

i saw some revelator gameplay and we have a problem: say goodbye to  pilebunker loops the new dust animation ruins it all enjoy it while you can folks (it was too good to be real )

Most of his routes where 5D into K Pile loops can be used, can also be optimized for a little more damage by omitting it. So I don't think this really hurts him.