Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

Check backward in the thread. You'll get a high/low/throw mixup off of a S-HD from one of the videos. There's a May video on MarkoftheGear's YouTube page with corner combos and oki.

I'm in a rush atm so don't have time to link them - you'll have to do some legwork I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off a knockdown I basically do one of these things

a) some sort of summon ( beachball YRC > P summon )

b) try to time an ambiguous j.2H, then on hit/block i do 2D HS-dolphin.

c) late dash in for 2K > 2S > 2D > HS dolphin

d) 6H on their wakeup into P summon.

If i have a p summon out on their wakeup, i usually 6K > release P summon (this gets me on him)> fly at them on the dolphins back > 66 > j.K > j.HS > land > st.P > 2D > P summon again. 

if i have to run over to them I will sometimes do 6H xx P summon > release. edit: this part wasn't right. i will either release P right away if i think they're gonna move or try to get on the dolphin's back with 6K > P release > 66 > etc.

I do some other things like dash in OHK randomly, but if you consider the above... I don't really have any mixups here. 

Compared to say venom with his ... 2D(2) > K ball, dash j.k, which sets up both a high/low and potential crossup.

Check backward in the thread. You'll get a high/low/throw mixup off of a S-HD from one of the videos. There's a May video on MarkoftheGear's YouTube page with corner combos and oki.

I'm in a rush atm so don't have time to link them - you'll have to do some legwork I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information guys. Maybe we can update the first post with all the needed stuff, it can be really cool for newcomers that seek quick informations.

@Nonov2

Just thought to mention that far standing S and K have really good reach, so if you find you're not using them at all in neutral it's worth adding them to your game. Seems obvious but I noticed this in my own play.

Also as an anti-air, cr.HS xx cr.D is pretty great and usually sets up at least one rep of dash S > cr.HS > H-VD. The cr.HS doesn't cancel on whiff though.

http://youtu.be/7BSfJhVEiVQ

Here you go, in case you never found it - it's on page 7 :/
This is actually pretty strong.

Is this a safe jump? Seems useful. I wonder if you can buffer OHK into the whiff j.S, SF4 style. probably not.

Corner stuff here
http://youtu.be/VN34bXnzTug

Some cool extended combos off wallsplat RRC that I hadn't seen before. 
I see the mixup now off cornered 6H > P summon. 

6H > P summon:
- forward jump > ]P[ > low airdash forward
- forward jump > ]P[ > land for a low
- run up 6K > ]P[ > 6P
- just theoretically you could dash up > ]P[ > cr.P tick into OHK

Pretty cool since I already implement the setup into my game, I just wasn't using it right.

Is this a safe jump? Seems useful. I wonder if you can buffer OHK into the whiff j.S, SF4 style. probably not.

You adjust your timing to either land before they get up or hit their standing up, if you can time it then yes it will be a safejump. It will also differ based on which character you are fighting because of the different stand up timings. 

That 6H > P hoop enders allow a pretty legit high/low corner mixup, that's nice! Time to practice thoses sweet IAD links after HSHD.

I'm wondering if it's possible after an air combo (ensenga?) to hit OTG like this: 2D > P hoop and to go for the same mixup in the corner.

I think it's much less tight, so it doesn't work.

For the midscreen one with the whiff/not whiff j.S is really amazing, that's so smart! Thanks for the help!

Ugh, I'm having some trouble with May.  I think my main problem is my neutral and offense.  When I'm on offense, I don't know any setups when I get a knockdown, midscreen and corner.  For neutral I know that you need to utilize ball and dolphin, but I don't space properly and get hit.  You need meter for same ball and dolphin summons I know that.

And I sometimes I can't get ensenga to hit.  The last hit always either hits late and doesn't knock down or whiffs.  One more thing, how to you connect j.P after H dolphin connects in the corner?

There are some setups about 4 posts above yours.

In the neutral you have to consider your opponent as to whether you can use otter or hoops, some characters completely nullify them.

To get ensenga? to hit they need to be above and close to you - if it's whiffing or OTGing then your combos are slightly off.

To get the iad j.p to connect you have to practice. There's no other way around it.

Getting the IAD J.P before the 5th hit of the combo helps loads. it is possible on the 5th hit, just much harder.

For the Ensenga?, It really helps me to delay the J.D after the J,HS. 

I've been BUSY w/ XRD guys. Writing up system mechanics stuff, so I will release an article soon. ^_^

http://youtu.be/2ILWwPnTaEs

Saw Kazuki doing this fuzzy guard a lot so I thought I would make a video. Input notes in description.

HS Horizontal Dolphin YRC is so cool.

Recently I recently have quiet a lot of succes using this P Hoop oki mixup: ]P[ > 2K > 2D or ]P[ > OHK. It's really dirty and DP safe.

You can even cross-up or not cross-up the ]P[ using a well timed dash jump into j.2HS if there are no reversal threats. That's 4 mixup!

http://youtu.be/2ILWwPnTaEs

Saw Kazuki doing this fuzzy guard a lot so I thought I would make a video. Input notes in description.

Yay, a use for jump installs in blockstrings :toot:

http://youtu.be/67RCAcJG1KQ

Some ball jump crossup/non-crossup on oki. It has huge gaps though so not a very solid setup.

How about if they block on wakeup? Does it still cross up? It surely doesn't if they FD?

How about if they block on wakeup? Does it still cross up? It surely doesn't if they FD?

That setup works on normal block but not on FD.

I uploaded a tighter version that works on FD here http://youtu.be/Co1u568M3zM, takes meter to convert however. The non cross-up version (IAD j2H) also doesn't work against normal block, best bet is just do 2P 5S 2D.

Here is your changelog, guys:

http://ggxrd.com/locatest.pdf

Mr. Dolphin Horizontal HS ([4]6HS) - Attack level changed from 3 to 4.

Overhead Kiss (632146K) - the command is changed to 623K (up close).

Applause for the Victim (41236P/K/S/HS) - changed the input priority of each button; if you release the button right after the initial input, the ring stays in place and activates when you release the corresponding button again; the attack's start-up is reduced from 13 to 10 frames; can hop on dolphin before the attack comes out.

Hop on Dolphin - the damage of all versions is now 50; after hitting the opponent, it's now easier to cancel into air dash.

Good lord guys, make up your mind on what you want OHK's input to be. Or just leave it at the old HCB since it didn't clash with anything.
Hoop change is likely to make it easier to input sweep > hoop > RC combos. Nice ease of use change.

HHD buff is nice.

I'd still like a beefy stun restoration to give her that extra edge, but extra ease of use is fine for a character who's honestly the most fun she's ever been.

HCB clashed w/ beach ball when they changed it from 22P/K to 214P/K from initial loketest -> initial arcade release so they had to stick the extra forward input in there. I didn't like it at all :X

but goddamn DP is hella easier, probably going to see a lot more OHK now.

also that Applause change is awesome.

I was fine with the old way, personally. I missed it occasionally on the 2P side, but I didn't feel that it was because of their input choice. Overall, it doesn't look like a ton changed. Priorities/damage/inputs mainly. I'm interested in seeing what comes of イルカ搭乗(Hop on Dolphin) if it can be utilized before the dolphin leaves the ground. We'll have to see. One thing that worries me is the Blitz Shield change for projectiles.

I'm like really stupid and I don't understand the hoop change. What exactly does the first part mean?

Applause for the Victim (41236P/K/S/HS) - changed the input priority of each button; if you release the button right after the initial input, the ring stays in place and activates when you release the corresponding button again; the attack's start-up is reduced from 13 to 10 frames; can hop on dolphin before the attack comes out.

So I press once for the hoop, and then I have to press the corresponding button again for the dolphin to start or what?

edit: Brett just told me on twitter that this is how it works and said it's like Testament's EXE Beast. So there's that.

Scrub question, but what does "Mr. Dolphin Horizontal HS ([4]6HS) - Attack level changed from 3 to 4." mean?

this can explain it better than I can. Meaning the the dolphin is stronger and has better attributes in many ways. This is a bigger deal than people realize.

The hoop dolphin change makes combo easier to do I think.  and makes people have to respect your dolphin hoops more.

Finally the OHK change was needed. Too many times you try to OHK and then ball comes out, very counter-intuitive. This new input is easier and make her harder to deal with, up close imo

An increase in attack level means more hitstun and blockstun. This means that H dolphin gets slightly more advantageous on block and even more advantageous on hit (pretty huge for RRC combos because you already got a TON of hitstun from strings like 2D > [4]6H > RRC. And now you get MORE!)

I mostly like the OHK command change because I tend to practice on a noiseless stick, and the padding to reduce the noise often makes it so that I miss diagonals occasionally when trying to roll a hcb really fast. And since Gear doesn't accept 6246 as hcb,f, I don't get my OHK. 623K is much more noiseless-stick-friendly because there's only three directions to hit and I'm trying to end on a diagonal anyway, so it's pretty much impossible I'll mess up. (The diagonal also presumably means goodbye to accidental 6K when I meant to OHK...even though that wasn't a particularly terrible failure case. I, uh, MEANT to do that!)

Having Applause auto-ride easier to activate will probably be confusing until I re-practice my setups, but ultimately it sounds like a damn big gain. If anything, having it easier to trigger (esp close to the ground) is definitely a buff for May, because as long as you don't miss (jump like a dork into a ]K[ dolphin and fly off to nowhere), auto-ride is godlike. And really, once you practice basic hoop oki, it's pretty hard to make auto-ride miss.

The change to Blitzed projectiles gives some pause to meaty Applause dolphins, but not very much compared to other characters IMO. The ability to hold dolphins gives a lot of flexibility to bait wakeup Blitz (and also to kinda keep initiative if they don't wakeup Blitz, you drop a K dolphin on their head as they jump out and at least you can bait their air tech), and depending on the activation range for the new property, it may make no difference to occasional mid-range check strings such as 5K > 5S > 41236S (and you can hold S anyway, so whatever). 

I think worst-case scenario for this patch is May stays where she is (which is not a bad spot at all in this game, TBH).

I was talking to a guy who was saying that the attack level change was not a big deal. I think he needs to see the whole picture of the situation.