Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

I'm pretty psyched about the OHK motion change myself. It doesn't overlap with anything (you ever have beach ball come out? you lose automatically) and it's less total inputs making it faster overall.

I don't know if this was posted yet but you can hit-confirm off the beach ball on (air)hit  into Mr. Yamada
It worked for me several times.
(I should've posted this a long time ago)

the typical air-hit confirm is IAD J.S, J.HS, Land ...

Usually tight tho

any tips for someone completely new at playing may? i wanted to start subbing her

May isn't really an intimidating character to pick up,

She's beginner friendly (from what I heard).

any tips for someone completely new at playing may? i wanted to start subbing her

Buttons into knockdown into hoop oki. That's basically all there is to it.

- Learn hoop oki. It's powerful, fun, and pretty easy. You only need to remember a handful of basic decision trees, and the rest you can kinda freeform. In almost all combo situations May's best option is to end in knockdown and put up hoop oki (or sweep to beach ball midscreen, where beach ball is more powerful). 

- 6P is your friend vs long-reaching mid normals a la Faust/Ky 5S. It's a weird, slow anti-air, but a very good counterpoke. Use it to get max-range knockdowns from which to put summons on screen and advance.

- Learn safe jumps from [4]6S ender. Very easy and rewarding vs DP characters, especially Ky.

- There are some matchups, believe it or not, where your first goal is not to get in, but to back off and create space to summon before you go in (Faust, Axl, probably Ky too but it's very hard to create safe space vs Ky). May isn't a hardcore zoning character, but there are certain matchups where her normals are so hilariously outgunned at neutral (usually in the range department) that you really need a beach ball and/or a hoop dolphin on screen to protect your offense/zoning. In those matchups, be stingy with your meter -- always try to have 25% handy to YRC your summons for safety. 

- First matchup you should grind out with her is Ky. This is true for pretty much every character, but especially for May, because Ky is not a good matchup for her and there are bazillions of Kys out there, especially online. Finding a good Ky to train with is preferable, but learning how to beat bad Kys will teach you some stuff too. (Blocking a zillion abare Greed Severs is a skill for LIFE!)

- Try not to go in the air too much. May's air normals are kinda meh. She has an okay air-to-ground game with IAD and double jump (esp double jump, very useful against Zato shadow S), but air-to-air, she's not very good. If your opponent likes the air, try to stick close to the ground and either gain a favorable spacing or try and anti-air his ass with 6P or 2H. Air throw is your best option if they're right on top of you, but it's kinda hard to get May's air throw because her jump puts her at a weird height kinda fast compared to many characters' jump-and-dunk tactics.

- [4]6S is only -5 (-4?) on block and is spaced to be unpunishable by normals (unless you did it with your back to the wall or something), but some characters can punish it if you get too predictable (including Ky, if he IBs it and Stun Dippers you...fuckin' 5-frame slide). Mostly you don't want to go too ham on it as a blockstring ender because you lose so much frame advantage. Don't be afraid to stop your strings at 2D, it's only -1 on block and the spacing is frequently such that if you think they're gonna abare or run in after blocking it, another 2D will counter hit them for a knockdown. Avoid using it as a raw poke as well because it's vulnerable to both 6P's and low profile moves.

- Blitz Shield is your pal. Learn how to use it, especially anti-air. May has to wake up honestly, so Blitz Shield is a good skill to learn now BEFORE they buff it for 1.1.

Have fun and believe in the power of 6P.

https://youtu.be/Gl4mbMf3xPU?t=1m17s

Seems like a new change not mentioned in loke test patch notes. May did hop on dolphin and then immediately cancel(?) to jH (there was no airdash cancel animation). This resulted in an ambiguous looking jH. Potentially a strong high low tool. (mix with land 2D)

so its basically:

additional gatling 5k 2k

pushback decrease on c5s [not sure on hit or block]

CH 5h stagger increase [29f -> 39f]

2d range increase

6h attack level 'grew' [so it becomes full charge sooner?]

OHK now 623k, whiff duration incresed [42f -> 44f]

Ball:
    5f activation when may jumps on the ball
    big fixed

[4]6s:
    travel speed increased 
    reboud distance decreased?

[4]6h:
    attack level change reverted, still level 3
    wall stick duration increased [40 -> 42f]
    ch wall stick duration increased [60f -> 80f]

Applause changes not tested, doesn't look to have changed at all
    referring to the shortened startup we had heard about, the button
    thing where it releases on second button up is correct. Kisshi 
    was seen doing 5s 6p 41236s rc iad.sh, j.shd dj.hd ensenga and
    this wouldn't work otherwise.

Did I miss anything?

HS-HD CH wall stick thing says 80 -> 60, not 60 -> 80

that's all I can see, I can't read Japanese :V

HS-HD CH wall stick thing says 80 -> 60, not 60 -> 80

that's all I can see, I can't read Japanese :V

Hum, it means maybe [6]HS doesn't work after? or maybe it's tight now.

2d range increase

This makes me so happy. I've whiffed 2d sooo many times thanks to it's poor hitbox + Xrd's stupid pushback.

This makes me so happy. I've whiffed 2d sooo many times thanks to it's poor hitbox + Xrd's stupid pushback.

There's a picture on the second Kedako tweet showing the extra range it has. I'm hoping that the c5s pushback decrease is on hit so that it's way more consistent to at least get a knockdown. Yay for the hitbox being well past the end of her foot :)

just

that tweet from the second loketest where he said 2D > [4]6H works on Ky

I need that to still be in

just

that tweet from the second loketest where he said 2D > [4]6H works on Ky

I need that to still be in

I think it's more that ky's falling hitbox has been adjusted. I need that for ky, venom and to a lesser extent Leo.

For those that can't get to the images or don't have time the ones related to the changes I listed are below. I was really hoping for j.k hitbox buff in terms of horizontal range but absolutely 0 mention of that T____T

2D

2d.jpg

5s pushback

5s.jpg

slash dolphin travel/pushback

s%20dolphin.jpg

The most difficult  thing i faced with May is doing her best and optimal combos... but maybe cuz i'm a pad player so combos involving  "Applause for the Victim" holds give me a hard time ..

The most difficult  thing i faced with May is doing her best and optimal combos... but maybe cuz i'm a pad player so combos involving  "Applause for the Victim" holds give me a hard time ..

Its a shame you can't map multiple buttons to the same in game action, I'm sure having a spare punch and kick on L1 and L2 would help. Time to invent that weird and wonderful layout that's mostly on the shoulder buttons then [that'd be easier right?]

Hi guys,

Could someone here tell me how am i supposed to oki chars with 6236 reversal (like sol or ky) ? i can't find a way to keep a safe pressure after getting them down with 2D :( Pls help thank you ^^

Hi guys,

Could someone here tell me how am i supposed to oki chars with 6236 reversal (like sol or ky) ? i can't find a way to keep a safe pressure after getting them down with 2D :( Pls help thank you ^^

The simplest way to deal with those is to have some safejump setups at hand.

• 2D gives you a very reliable safejump! Make them sit down and not do it and then you can mix up with empty safejump low or late air dashes from the same setup. 
  • You also get a couple of different safejump setups from 2d [4]6s combos. I think they're detailed [or at least one of them is] on the wiki.

Trickier [because they can still get a dp if they do it the right way, but it can whiff if its not vertical and hitting both sides - damn Ky] is to run at them, jump forward over them and backdash so they have to guess which side to input it. 

Dolphin Oki. Send the dolphin ahead of you to force them into blockstun before you start your pressure.

This doesn't work always. If the dolphins hits [e.g.] Sol's hitbox whilst he is in the invulnerable part of a HSVV then it bounces off without actually doing anything.  :(

Obviously if you put yourself at the right range that if he does VV you will at worst clash with it then its fine, so learn that range for each character you have trouble with. Generally this loses you [strong] pressure though.

This doesn't work always. If the dolphins hits [e.g.] Sol's hitbox whilst he is in the invulnerable part of a HSVV then it bounces off without actually doing anything.  :(

Obviously if you put yourself at the right range that if he does VV you will at worst clash with it then its fine, so learn that range for each character you have trouble with. Generally this loses you [strong] pressure though.

Don't quite understand why it wouldn't work. The idea here is that you're supposed to wait until you see Sol in blockstun until you push a button. If he tries to do HSVV to get out, wouldn't you just block and punish it?

Don't quite understand why it wouldn't work. The idea here is that you're supposed to wait until you see Sol in blockstun until you push a button. If he tries to do HSVV to get out, wouldn't you just block and punish it?

Space it right and it'll even whiff. My point was 'don't expect him to just sit and firm it', i.e. it won't be guaranteed to put him in blockstun. It does the same thing to Tyrant Rave and DI too, but you can punish them as well. The idea itself is a very good option, sorry if I used the wrong words to make it sound like I was dismissing it - I only meant to add extra info for situations to be wary of [i'm tired].