Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

GGXrd_Header_Gameplay_Discussion.png.png

*Note* - When browsing the May forums please follow the rules of the site, failure to do so will result in an Infraction. If you do not know the rules you can check them here -> Site Rules.

May Gameplay/Discussion

Ground rules:

2H appears to have been replaced with an anti-air. Almost looks like it'd beat crossups. Might not be jump cancellable, but this certainly provides a simpler alternative to 5S 5H SVD for newcomers, and there's probably some sort of route like antiair 2H, hoop, hop on hoop RC stuff. Or perhaps 2H, beach ball YRC, 5S 5H SVD.

I'll definitely appreciate the simpler alternative since my execution isn't the greatest.

A few quick observations from ElvenShadow in the main the news thread that I thought I should leave here.

May has an overhead hop move. Reminds me of universal overhead move from 3rd strike but she retains forward momentum if doing it from a run

Also the whale can't be blocked in the air unless you FD

Looking at her movelist, sounds like it could be the down input after tossing a beach ball or something. That or it's what her Ensenga looks like. Or it's a command normal. Or they've gone completely insane and given her KOF hops.

You can see her new 2HS at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcnHPc3u_k&t=4m14s which looks like a very useful normal.

She has a new overhead (6K) which is comboable with at least RC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcnHPc3u_k&t=4m58s

She can combo off her ground throw with RC.

jH counterhit no longer launches.

May's 6P clashes with Ky's DP.

5H Aerial CH seems to act the same.

jH Aerial CH seems to behave similar to +R.

CH j2H > 6P Combos.

CH Horizontal Dolphin > Wallstick > Combo.

c.S > 6H a new gatling?

You can see her new 2HS at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcnHPc3u_k&t=4m14s which looks like a very useful normal.

She has a new overhead? Not sure of the input but you can see it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcnHPc3u_k&t=4m58s

She can combo off her ground throw with RC.

jH counterhit no longer launches.

May's 6P clashes with Ky's DP.

5H Aerial CH seems to act the same.

jH Aerial CH seems to behave similar to +R.

Spent a long day with may and just learning her fundamentals, normals ,etc.

Her 2HS is pretty bad to be honest, and wouldn't recommend using it much since its pretty unsafe even on hit (I hit a venom player after and he was able to hit me). The recovery is slow. Tried as an anti air and seems decent, but dont know if its best to use it a lot.. Test with it more later.

Her J.2HS on the other hand is great, since it behaves a lot like Guy's elbow drop from AE 2012. Can be used for great corner pressure and mixups mid screen since it seems hard to tell where she will drop.

Her air to air options aren't great at all. Her best is probably J.Hs but that doesnt even do much.

6K which is her overhead cant lead into anything, and if anything is probably used more for mix up pressure. Tried doing cr jab or whatever and nothing worked. However, will test it out again this weekend. But as of now, its more of a pressure tool to punish your opponent.

For footsies, her S.K, and S.S are solid for keeping people off you in a mid range situation while S.HS is more of a close range tool to lay pressure on since it is pretty safe.

qcf+HS in the air is a nice tool to use since it causes ground bounce on hit and allows for a follow up.

Tried to combo off D but didnt get anything.. maybe I'll try again this weekend. But her 3D is quite useful as a footsie tool since it covers good range, and can be used in a combo.

Without meter she can't really produce much outside of a few basic combos. One that I managed to do was J.2HS, cr.s, cr.hs, 4タメ6 dolphin which was like a 4 hit to start. Also did J.p and followed with the same combo to get around 5-6 hits. Both generated enough meter.

I play May more defensively so her Seal assist (qcf+p iirc, may need to recheck) works really well and of course her dolphins :)

So far she feels solid, but again without meter she cant rely produce anything significant. So much of her game from the beginning is to just run away and build meter that way.

lol kind of reminds me of Guile, where annoying your opponent is a must.

snip

Thanks for info.

6K is YRCable. Can 6K be YRCed so that you can do a very low ground air normal? Can it be RCed into a combo? Yes. Possible to combo with a hoop dolphin or beach ball? Probably.

Is 2HS special cancellable on block? (On hit yes)

Can Charged Dolphins be YRCed at all? Yes for lots of forward movement.

Are horizontal dolphins still fairly hard to punish on block?Looks like it. Is there any difference in charged dolphins and jumping onto hoop dolphins? (i.e. safer on block, distance traveled, damage done)

Can may jump after a super jump? Link Seems to me to be a super jump into a jump.

Does j2H > 2P > 2D Not combo anymore at max 2D distance? Link

Possible to combo from air throw with RC?

Does 5f.S > 3K still combo into knockdown? (Non max distance)

Does 63214S have super armor? Seems to have much faster startup now.

Does 63214H hit OTG?

What does jumping on a beach ball do/accomplish?

Thanks for info.

Can 6K be YRCed so that you can do a very low ground air normal? Can it be RCed into a combo? Yes. Possible to combo with a hoop dolphin or beach ball?

Is 2HS special cancellable on block? (On hit yes)

Can Charged Dolphins be YRCed at all?

Are horizontal dolphins still fairly hard to punish on block? Is there any difference in charged dolphins and jumping onto hoop dolphins? (i.e. safer on block, distance traveled, damage done)

Can may jump after a super jump? Link Seems to me to be a super jump into a jump.

Does j2H > 2P > 2D Not combo anymore at max 2D distance? Link

Possible to combo from air throw with RC?

Does 5f.S > 3K still combo into knockdown? (Non max distance)

Does 63214S have super armor?

Does 63214H hit OTG?

What does jumping on a beach ball do/accomplish?

Hey Everyone, hello Uku.

I spent a good chunk of the day playing with May and was able

To analyze things a bit better with her.

Although I didnt cover all of the questions, since a lot of the time was spent

Playing people (something I didn't want to do since it costs so much to play)

For starters, dolphins can be YrC and can be extended into another combo.

Charge dolphins have enough push back and so they are safe on block. The major difference is that

With loop dolphins, they are more relied on for creating space but they have low priority vs other projectiles for example, bedmans projectiles beat loop dolphins everytime. You achieve more dmg with charge dolphins, and since they are safe on block it allows for a bit more pressure.

Loop dolphin and seal assist are used mainly for keep away, and to cover ground for May to run in.

Not too sure about whether 63214 has super armor as again, not much time was allowed to really test things out. Everytime I would jump into training mode, I would be challenged.

Then if I lose, I lose my training time which is kind of annoying.

As far as matchups go, bedman is going to give may a VERY hard time simply because he has better tools to keep people off of him. And his corner pressure is dangerous. J.2hs gets beaten clean by bedmans anti air. In this matchup may needs to respect bedman entirely. This needs to be played patiently.

Her whale super has fast startup but can be punished up close, so it's not useful in let's say a cornered situation. Sol can punish easily with DP.

Here's results of my own research into JP twitter:

https://twitter.com/kurono_special/status/436884785013600256

this confirms dolphin loops being loops of 3, but a lot of people have mentioned the difficulty raising?

maybe the execution window got tighter. im unsure.

anyway, now onto confirmed tech:

OHK>(S>2HS>H-VD)×2

5K> c.S> 2D > S-HD > rc> IAD > jHS> 2K > 2HS> H-VD> 2K > c.S> 2HS > H-VD

something im shaky on: https://twitter.com/mago_mannsinn/status/436414869298876416

translated as OHK> JSJHS> JKJD> JSJHS> Ensenga > (end?)Dust >>6>6PS6PSHS> any Vertical Dolphin

So is ensenga an overhead? I haven't seen a single TK ensenga so far.

EDIT: While I'm here, the second hit seems to bounce them up, taking away your knockdown after long combos. If you one-hit it, do you get a guaranteed knockdown?

So is ensenga an overhead? I haven't seen a single TK ensenga so far.

EDIT: While I'm here, the second hit seems to bounce them up, taking away your knockdown after long combos. If you one-hit it, do you get a guaranteed knockdown?

seems to be the case from what ive seen. 1 hit ensenga = knockdown, 2 hit bounces them for extra combo joy.

As far as I can tell dolphins are safe on block. I wasn't able to punish them at all with Chipp. They could always jump.

Time to hit up the lab again and figure out more things with her.

I'm not going to base things off of speculative things anymore.

Here's results of my own research into JP twitter:

https://twitter.com/kurono_special/status/436884785013600256

this confirms dolphin loops being loops of 3, but a lot of people have mentioned the difficulty raising?

maybe the execution window got tighter. im unsure.

anyway, now onto confirmed tech:

OHK>(S>2HS>H-VD)×2

5K> c.S> 2D > S-HD > rc> IAD > jHS> 2K > 2HS> H-VD> 2K > c.S> 2HS > H-VD

something im shaky on: https://twitter.com/mago_mannsinn/status/436414869298876416

translated as OHK> JSJHS> JKJD> JSJHS> Ensenga > (end?)Dust >>6>6PS6PSHS> any Vertical Dolphin

Was this just used with google translate? Because I believe Kurono is discussing damage as well.

Ok I spoke to Mago and he told me that OHK>JSJHS>JKJD>JSJHS>Ensenga is A mid screen combo.

The second combo ダスト>6>6PS6PSHS>縦イルカ (Dolphin) is a corner only combo.

BUT, there are better combos out there at the moment and he is looking into it.

Please stop speculating guys, we NEED facts!

Was this just used with google translate? Because I believe Kurono is discussing damage as well.

Ok I spoke to Mago and he told me that OHK>JSJHS>JKJD>JSJHS>Ensenga is A mid screen combo.

The second combo ダスト>6>6PS6PSHS>縦イルカ (Dolphin) is a corner only combo.

BUT, there are better combos out there at the moment and he is looking into it.

Please stop speculating guys, we NEED facts!

oh no im just pretty terrible at JP, i just wanted to give what i could understand, which wasnt much at all.

yeah there are some better ones, if anyone competent would look at kedako's tweets he posted a bunch of tech recently.

http://www.twitch.tv/joniosan/b/506212236

15:35

Look at I-no's meter after the Great Yamada Attack is prepped. The player's clearly tried to Blitz Shield and has gotten counterhit instead. Either you can't BS Yamada after startup, or it just flat out ignores blitz shield entirely.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22991679

Kedako showing the IK setup when the opponent is in Hell Fire from OHK. OHK > RC > IK mode > IK

also shows that this is character specific? (doesnt work on Eddie, but does on Slayer)

EDIT: actually, Kedako implies he did it too slow. https://twitter.com/kedako_faital/status/439459544553381889 so it seems to also work on zato