Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

https://youtu.be/xokHGUy_Z44

Interesting YRC application, inspired by https://youtu.be/7fCewO_hx-M . If you let a hoop dolphin hit right after a charged 6P it will shorten the opponent's blockstun allowing you to YRC the punch. Not that useful though? Might be somewhat useful next version with the new hoop input change.

So if u ask me what's mays worst match ups in this game

1 sin

2 ky

3 elphelt

Trust me on this list I might make a video explaining why cuz I'm too lazy to type all the details. But mainly these 3 are the worst all for the same reason. The force may to play a mid range game which she has none to speak of. You can't jump at none of those characters ever and they all have tools to stop you from summoning balls Dolphins ect. From full screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You missed Ram.

I don't think ram is to bad really. Her mid range game isn't as strong as the others I just mention and her anti airs are only average. Also she forfeits most of her mid range game when she summons swords anyway. Like the 3 characters I just name are like 7-3 match ups imo. I guess I'm not saying ram isn't bad but it's not in the same class as these 3. Not even close. Theres no way a may player could ever beat a high lvl sin ky or elphelt without understanding some key things about the match up.. If u are beating these characters with no problem u have not faced a good one.

outta curiosity, what would you say her best matchups are?

lol that's a good question. I feel slayer is free but I mean he's like one of the worst character in the game. I think sol is kinda in mays favor because of sol mid range not amazing tho he has anti airs. Full screen you can easily pester sol with ball and dolphins he's got to deal with them. I also think you have the advantage in the Leo matchup for the same reasons. Tho if Leo catches you u die. So I would say her best is slayer sol and Leo.

Every other match up is like even or slightly in there favor. Btw this is coming from mainly just online experience tho I play with some very good players all the time online. Tho my formula is basically this. May is one of the best characters in the game in terms of mixups when she's up close. Her mid range is terrible because may has no way to score a knockdown from that range. Long range in particular match up can be above average. In comparison to the rest of the cast. So basically if your opponent controls the horizontal space and his or her buttons can lead to a knockdown and oki situations and has good anti airs where u can't jump or carelessly call Dolphins beach ball etc, then it's a wrap.

I'm really not sure how to best practice it, but my execution with OHK is absolute ass.  I've been trying for the past two weeks to get this combo down (OHK (632146H) > dash c.S > jc j.S > j.H > j.D > djc j.H > j.D > j.41236H) and cannot for the life of me manage to get anywhere close.  I'll spend hours a day in the training room trying just to land OHK and can get it maybe 1/10 times if I'm lucky.  Most of the time, I'll end up getting 6K, but I'll also get superjumps and beach ball too.  Even when I try to take it as slow as possible, I just can't seem to get it on a consistent basis.  If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Fortunately, it looks like the input is getting changed in the newest version but until then, I'm kinda stuck.

I think getting 6K means you're waiting a little too long between 63214 and 6.

My problem is doing the motion too fast (and sloppily) and I always get like...backwards j.K  :psyduck:

I'm a scrub but between +R's command dash and pre-1.10 Xrd's extra forward input, I've been really put off from using OHK even though I really like using it.

ohk

Have you got inputs turned on? You are probably missing one of the corners if you get plain old 6k. Either that or, as above, too long between 4 and 6 but there's a fair buffer for that.

I'm gonna get the chance to play 1.10 when I go to Tokyo in 3 weeks (only for a week though for a conference). I'll report back.

I've got inputs on and have noticed that if I try too fast, it usually misses the 1 input.  So I try to make sure that my thumb goes the entire arc around, but still end up hitting the 9 sometimes when I go for the 6.  I guess I just need to keep practicing until it sticks.  

I literally just do a quick 360, starting from forward, then going counter-clockwise and ending back at forward.

Having two or more moves with overlapping inputs is usually just sloppy design, especially if there's a better alternative.

I get the beach ball all the time and it's annoying. I honestly don't use ohk to much anymore because of it really lol. Regular throw rc k hop set 6h combo is my main throw combo. I only use ohk now when I'm in a comeback situation.

Black

I actually quite like it as is. Using 63214 to IB and then 6k to punish with OHK. 6321466k for microdash grab.
Maybe I just played way too much kof over my time and got used to doing things like blocking with 63214.

I'll tell you just how annoying it is to adapt to a dp version when I get back from Tokyo in 3 weeks!

I get the beach ball sometimes when doing it from a dash on the 2p side, however that's been happening a lot less lately. I use OHK a bit in my play and feel that if I miss it, then it's my fault..not really the input. That being said, if they want to change it, I'll just have to adapt to it.

Haha. Those dash in > beach ball instead of ohk are killing me xD.

Btw, jump install HS-HD ([4]9HS) is an interesting thing.

For example:

JI- HS-HD YRC air dash K~

=> land low (2k or 2d)

=> air D > double jS HS D ensenga

is safe, fast ans easily confirmable

It can be used on oki too.

...> 2D > P ball > ji HS-HD yrc > air dash K (block) ~ D (hit) > double jump delay HS (Ball hits just before) > land > re-jump combo

is very damaging

Sad to say i haven't played in a while and i'm out of practice awaiting for the 1.1 patch, i read somewhere it is dropping tomorrow? If so i'm def going to enjoy the stronger May, is there any confirmation to this?

Sad to say i haven't played in a while and i'm out of practice awaiting for the 1.1 patch, i read somewhere it is dropping tomorrow? If so i'm def going to enjoy the stronger May, is there any confirmation to this?

Has she really moved around much in the tiers for 1.1? I know they made some minor changes, but nothing to send her much higher, I thought. Any concrete sources on this? Then again, I didn't even know they were extending 2h cancel. I never thought it was a problem how it is now.

That was in the loketest 2 notes, not sure if they changed it. Kedako did say that HS-HD is still level 3.

Has she really moved around much in the tiers for 1.1? I know they made some minor changes, but nothing to send her much higher, I thought. Any concrete sources on this? Then again, I didn't even know they were extending 2h cancel. I never thought it was a problem how it is now.

Nah, she's really not that much different tbh. A little more interesting but not a huge amount stronger.