Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

Someone who can translate better might have to correct me later but from what I understand from Google Translate, HS Horizontal Dolphin travels further and can wall stick on hit. HS Vertical Dolphin seems to be intentionally slow to come out for air comboing/juggling purposes? Not sure about HS Vertical Dolphin

It says that the HS vertical is slower to come out, but has more untechable time thus it is a staple ability in air combos.

Edit: Changed hitstun to untechable time (not a huge difference, just phrasing)

I had some time at work, so I went ahead and added most of the frame data to the wiki. I skipped a few due to notational reasons. I'll go back and do the translations later.

Thanks for helping out, BloodWolf.  Going to add in any data that is missing then I'm going to start tossing the basic combos on to the wiki and try filling the gatling chart

I'm thinking to take May into account as a candidate to sub in this game, she looks quite interesting in Xrd with her new moves and general improvement, any players or videos that someone can recommend me about? I have already seen some matches of Ruu, Kedako, Kazuki and probably some other that I don't remember right now, any suggestions are appreciated.

You seem to have all the most frequent big name Mays already. The only one missing is Azesuke. He's also a pretty good May that usually appears in Mikado streams. 

On another note, All the frame data, basic combos and gatling chart data from the 4Gamer wiki should now be migrated to the Dustloop wiki. If I missed anything or something is wrong, be sure to let me know. 

I don't think I've ever seen restive rolling in a match. Is it really that useless?

Not even sure she still has that. Besides, her version of ensenga covers air-combo ending much better. You actually get fucking knockdown.

Not even sure she still has that. Besides, her version of ensenga covers air-combo ending much better. You actually get fucking knockdown.

I just enjoy FRCing the start of RR in +R to make her fly across the screen - it's about the only FRC I can do consistently. I thought RR might be amusing with YRC potential as well, but yeah, is it even in the game?

ggxrd-may-movelist.png?resize=329%2C362

The input was 623, so unfortunately it doesn't seem to have it anymore. With 41236HS (the new move) though, I doubt someone will go for it anymore and furthermove, that move is like Dive HS, so you wouldn't be able to do YRC anyway (unless you'll like to use it for escape purposes like Bridget rolling), the real missing think if anything is that It would have been interesting that you could still do the Dust charge, especially now with the flash stuff.

I just enjoy FRCing the start of RR in +R to make her fly across the screen - it's about the only FRC I can do consistently. I thought RR might be amusing with YRC potential as well, but yeah, is it even in the game?

I mostly used it to get out of the certain situations. It was also a decent move to surpise people with. I think that it just does not fit in Xrd though. We still have overhead kiss though!

Could someone tell me Mays gameplan? How many high execution techniques does she need to be played well?

Could someone tell me Mays gameplan? How many high execution techniques does she need to be played well?

If this was +R a lot but most of may in Xrd seems pretty straight foreward. You want to get in and use your normals and abuse dolphin and the may's oki in anyway that you can. You also wnat to use your great jumping ability and to try to get things started as well. These videos give a good idea. 

Here are some BnB may combos more about normals and set-up

These are older from kedako(one of the best May in Japan). His is much more complicated and less about set-up.

Cool, I thought she played quite a big footsie game to start with. I also noticed alot of jumping, I assume May has a small hitbox (another positive) but she is light? 

What does having a hoop out do, increase dolphin range, damage etc? 

Is ball oki any good? reminds me of Johnnys up coin. 

What bout her ensenga (always hard knockdown?) and is OHK still a major part of her game?

Cheers  :MAY:

Last but not least, I think Mays character model is perfectly captured from her 2D counterpart. 

Cool, I thought she played quite a big footsie game to start with. I also noticed alot of jumping, I assume May has a small hitbox (another positive) but she is light? 

What does having a hoop out do, increase dolphin range, damage etc? 

Is ball oki any good? reminds me of Johnnys up coin. 

What bout her ensenga (always hard knockdown?) and is OHK still a major part of her game?

Cheers  :MAY:

Last but not least, I think Mays character model is perfectly captured from her 2D counterpart. 

1.May has short range for the most part. May is heavy  in older games not sure about xrd yet.

2.Hoop is what it looks like when you charge "applause, everyone" I think you can hold up to 3. I also know you can use this move if you press the S or HS version you can board the dolphin.

3. The ball is a move that is slow and moves in a parabola and bounces 3 time or until it hits the enemy. This move is good for spacing and anti-air set ups. It also can allow you to make an in so you can create pressure.

4.1 hit ensenga = knockdown, 2 hit bounces longer combo

5.OHK is very important and it is better than in previous version(the run up seems to be gone.) If anything I know a lot of top may players use it. It is just so much easier to use and combo off of.

Finally May is a power character but you can use her set-up game to get in and show her power.

May seems a lot more oki-oriented in this particular version of the game.  Whether that means she's more of a setplay character now who lacks damage, or if it's just a straight buff, I'm not really sure since it seems like damage output in Xrd seems to have been reduced a lot vs. in previous games.

Also I'm not super familiar with GG balance history but I believe May has always been one of the lightest characters, not a heavy.

Well, Xrd's damage output seems to be pretty fucked up overall (Right now i can't tell who is supposed to be a heavy hitter and who isn't).

But yeah, May seems to be more oki/set-up oriented now. Really hope to see her monster damage back instead of just filling the screen with stuffs.

Also I'm not super familiar with GG balance history but I believe May has always been one of the lightest characters, not a heavy.

She is a light character and bounces a lot (Regarding in-game weight).

May seems a lot more oki-oriented in this particular version of the game.  Whether that means she's more of a setplay character now who lacks damage, or if it's just a straight buff, I'm not really sure since it seems like damage output in Xrd seems to have been reduced a lot vs. in previous games.

You are right about the weight sorry about that. Also even though she is oki based i think it is a buff because she still has many of her old tools imo.