Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[Xrd] May Gameplay Discussion

Good shyt. I'm so ready to be back in the states for some quality lab time with all of this. Playing the best at Mikado and such is great, but having only played the game/character for a couple weeks, I don't think I can get near as much out of it as I could if I was more proficient with the game. At this stage, lab time is a must and you guys keep scanning and finding such good study material. Keep it up, your effort is appreciated.

I like the playstyle change and added utility of her projectiles in this version. I didn't really play her much in AC, but I'm really enjoying what she can do in this one. I hope they keep with it in any updates.

Here's a visual for the strength of OS OHK

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6uugDyN1wo#t=20m50s

The ground to air BS punish I came up with (Confirmed by Kazuki)

BS, run, J.S, Delay, J.HS, Land, Running J.K, J.S, J.S, J.HS, Ensenga?

Ground to ground BS punish cannot be an OHK. Opponent is throw invulnerable. 5D is the most damaging meterless ground punish, but it's so telegraphed it truly COULD be counter BS'd.  

Correct. That's the match video I saw to realize the power of OS Command Throws in XRD. Eddie offensively goes for a command then OS w/ YRC. He then confirms the jump out and connects an air throw. We have this same tool. 

Zato command grab also has that ]s[ nonsense with and without YRC.

This was first put out a little while ago and it's been used here (UK) for a while now. It's hella strong but midscreen it's awkward (read: a good bit harder) to get much if they backdash. Still worth every drop of tension.

RE: Low hoop oki vs, KY

Just use the overhead combo, but with 2K instead of 6K, so

2K,]P[,6P,2H,etc.

You have to chain the 6P from the 2K, but it works just the same as the overhead option otherwise.

More cornered opponent OHK combos;

OHK, IAD j.S, j.H, dash jump j.K, j.H, j.D, dj.H, dj.D, Ensenga?

This works on every character, Ky included. The IAD is TIGHT, and must be done quickly. Also, you may go past them while the first gatling finishes, so you'll have to dashjump in the opposite direction to finish the combo, but this ends up putting the opponent back into the corner, so it's sweet.

I mean it's really just them flying around with their dolphins and high jump arc and beachballs. Didn't think it would make people RQ though

I kill people with so many beach balls and  dolphins in ranked, and I never got any RQers.

Ky included.

Venom is way more of a pain in the arse than Ky is in this game. He's no longer Ky the Combo Killer :)

Does this build more meter or do more damage than the 2h dolphin 5h jump stuff? Pretty sure that puts them back in the corner too. I'm not home so can't check.

@kyle deeply saddened by FD loss, thought I just kept messing it up

Does this build more meter or do more damage than the 2h dolphin 5h jump stuff? Pretty sure that puts them back in the corner too. I'm not home so can't check.

What combo are you referring to here? The 5S>2H>Dolphin, 5S> aircombo perhaps?

@Frank The Tank: Was just in a room on a JP server called "USA.." There was a May there literally called TankyGoodness and I thought it might be you. I can obviously see now that it wasn't and it was pretty clear by the guys play too, lol, but meh.. I got excited for a second. =P

I didn't like how May felt when I first started playing her, but maybe she's starting to grow on me again. Don't know, we'll see~~~

More cornered opponent OHK combos;

OHK, IAD j.S, j.H, dash jump j.K, j.H, j.D, dj.H, dj.D, Ensenga?

This works on every character, Ky included. The IAD is TIGHT, and must be done quickly. Also, you may go past them while the first gatling finishes, so you'll have to dashjump in the opposite direction to finish the combo, but this ends up putting the opponent back into the corner, so it's sweet.

The combo I've seen for corner OHK is this:

OHK, dash c.S 2H XX [2]8H, c.S jc j.D jc j.S H D XX Ensenga [179 on Sol]

This puts them back in the corner and I can confirm it works on everyone. However, the timing and spacing seems very tricky to get used to, since you have to get the dash into c.S to hit about as high as possible so that the vertical dolphin causes the opponent to only barely cross over you, allowing the air series to work after the second c.S. Still feels easier to me than that IAD does, though. As for this combo, I think I saw it in one of the May threads here, actually.

Then the standard combo does more damage - Frank's does about 155 on Sol.

That said do whichever you're most comfortable with. So long as your oki is strong enough and you are the better player you'll win and guaranteeing the damage is better than trying a combo you can't do. I quite like seeing different players having different preferred combo routes. We can't all be Kedako!

I didn't like how May felt when I first started playing her, but maybe she's starting to grow on me again. Don't know, we'll see~~~

That's how I'm feeling. As I get more comfortable with her she's feeling much better than she felt at first, and I really like the OHK YRC OS. Her setups feel great too, but it's rough at neutral compared to before.

The Dolphin>rejump combos off of OHK have always felt inconsistent to me, but I probably just need to practice them more. I was more trying to come up with stuff to use on the wierd characters (btw, it works quite well vs. Venom) as I often don't get far enough in from a cornered OHK to get a c.S from the dash before they fall, and then I whiff a 2H.

Don't whiff 2H.

"Don't Whiff 2H" -M.franks

W/ that being said, I have a VSAV feeling about pokes like this. The reward is her highest CounterHit, so you cannot ignore the poke,.It seems reliable when you have the 25% meter to YRC you whiff & stay safe.

In vsav Morri/Lilith usually only poke w/ Heavies when they can commit do a demon to mask the recovery frames. =P

Played in PNW monthly on Saturday. Will link vids in the upcoming days. LogicHole. Overall I am doing better against Sol. 

I feel like my high/low/throw game is weak with May and once my opponent realizes this they just block everything.

Can someone tell me a few of May's key mixups?

What are your go to block strings, general mixup, and oki setups? I'm kinda lost and end up almost using the same 2 things, like : 

(1) 2K > 2D > P Hoop or SHD
(2) 2K > 5D (lol)

(3) j.HS > (1) or (2)

After scoring a knockdown, I usually go for 6k meaty against no reversals, or P hoop meaty if there are reversals, but keeping a P Hoop is pretty rare for me...

Also are there any OHK thick throw setup that can beat less than 5 frames mashing (Sol 5k, 5p in generals, etc)?

I think 2P > 2P > OHK is too messy.

Off a knockdown I basically do one of these things

a) some sort of summon ( beachball YRC > P summon )

b) try to time an ambiguous j.2H, then on hit/block i do 2D HS-dolphin.

c) late dash in for 2K > 2S > 2D > HS dolphin

d) 6H on their wakeup into P summon.

If i have a p summon out on their wakeup, i usually 6K > release P summon (this gets me on him)> fly at them on the dolphins back > 66 > j.K > j.HS > land > st.P > 2D > P summon again. 

if i have to run over to them I will sometimes do 6H xx P summon > release. edit: this part wasn't right. i will either release P right away if i think they're gonna move or try to get on the dolphin's back with 6K > P release > 66 > etc.

I do some other things like dash in OHK randomly, but if you consider the above... I don't really have any mixups here. 

Compared to say venom with his ... 2D(2) > K ball, dash j.k, which sets up both a high/low and potential crossup.