VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

If there's a buffer in this game, 2H iad j.P shouldn't be too bad. It was a great dustloop setup on some characters in #R, but it didn't get used very much for the reasons you already mentioned. If it's still that difficult now, I doubt it'll be mandatory, or expected. It's pretty useful in +R (and was in AC), but I don't think I've seen anyone outside of Roi using it consistently.

And I looked over the video again; there's definitely a super jump, even though Sol doesn't jump that much higher. There's even an added sound effect and a few extra "motion lines" (not sure what to call them) that aren't there usually, but it's all pretty subtle.

Oh yeah, I hear the High Jump sound effect now, didn't have my volume loud enough. Good to know.

RS > airdash j.S > j.BR. don't know if that really knocked down, or the opponent didn't tech. Not sure if he could've linked 5K there, he didn't try. Someone with more indepth understanding of #R air BR might be able to speculate better than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmPVXWHvZ4Q&t=7m29s

What happens when 2 RS collide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmPVXWHvZ4Q&t=7m36s

I linked something earlier saying it looked like RS didn't travel under once it passed, but this makes me think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmPVXWHvZ4Q&t=7m40s

Another Kudakero blocked up close, Axl doesn't even IB and the 2nd hit whiffs allowing a punish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcpW9RmP6g&t=7m36s

Example of GF exploding Faust's oil item

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cX2QiKYx9w&t=2m30s

Another instance of 2nd hit only Kudakero, probably knocks down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jeQmwScgw&t=2m12s

Would it be possible to combo into Fafnir from Kudakero?

Danger Time Kudakero > Fafnir combos, not surprisingly. Second time he tries outside Danger Time and it fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTydz_7kQ&t=3m35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTydz_7kQ&t=4m16s

CH (DI)BB causes tumbling here, like Final Ultima mentioned earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_0ssd8dyY&t=21m56s

Haven't finished watching this, but at about 5:50 we finally see 2S > 6H gatling is possible, and combos on CH. Pretty nice.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/44143306

Edited by VR-Raiden

Some more observations from the Okayama Fantasista Ustream recording that VR-Raiden posted.

11:03 - MC 5K (JC) > IAD j.S possible.
20:44 - MC f.S > 2S (whiff) > dash 5K possible.
20:52 - CH 6HS looks pretty damn scary, especially when it trades.
33:31 - (DI) Grand Viper cranks the R.I.S.C. Level to oblivion.
44:15 - Another example of Riot Stamp stopping after a while if it whiffs.

And from Bon-chan's latest video:-

Modified 4 rep D-Loop (4th rep same as modified 3rd rep) into ender possible against Axl, possibly other middleweights.
Video confirmation of Bandit Revolver (2) (RC) > j.D into a pick-up combo mid-screen or a full D-Loop in corner.
Kudakero (2nd hit) (RC) > Bandit Bringer possible.

During Dragon Install
j.D > Kudakero loop exists. At least 5 reps possible. Builds just shy of 50% Tension.
HS Volcanic Viper (RC) > Kudakero possible. A brief combo into HS Volcanic Viper builds enough Tension to be self-serving. Can go into at least 1 rep of j.D > Kudakero before requiring an ender.
Fafnir and Grand Viper possible after Tyrant Rave ver.Beta for knockdown. Depending on combo length and how many hits you mash out, using Grand Viper in this scenario has risks of the opponent falling out due to high gravity. When the opponent fell out before the last hit (58 hits total), Dragon Install deactivated right before they returned to neutral. When the opponent didn't fall out before the last hit (45 hits total), Dragon Install deactivated while the opponent was still down.

Haha, those kudakero loops. Sweet. I still hoped someone would finally use that new DI command grab though...I wonder if it just sucks or something...ah well, time will tell.

good god... that combo vid

edit: it got me thinking, does sol's health still determine how long DI lasts?

i can see DI VV > kudakero going for more loops, but doesn't seem like it will do well damage wise compared to using tyrant rave

after watching that BR 2nd hit RC > dustloop, i think you can go to dustloop after normal GV, you RC on the last hit of the VV part of GV and continue on

maybe 5K > 2HS > GV > RC > etc?

hope someone tries this out, this should gain better meter than 5K > 5S > 2D > BR RC 2nd hit

Edited by Bloodcrave

I should add by the way, that the reason a lot of those later combos started off with 5D > Homing Dash was so that Sol could start a combo and then restand so he could land 6P on a grounded opponent. This is thanks to the slumped state that's triggered when an opponent hits the ground during a wall stick. Suffice to say we're back to 6P only having decent untechable time on grounded opponents. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, I suppose.

My reaction to the Pure vs 623 pt. 1 @ 14:35: Massimo-DAlema.jpg?1317751303

I never thought IK's could be setup that way, I wonder if the other cast members could setup IK's like that as a means of shutting down the opponents ability to burst.

Edited by BladeOfJustice7

Thanks to the ability to combo into Instant Kill on opponents with flashing life and that entering Instant Kill Mode with over 50% Tension during that state turns your Instant Kill Mode activation into a super freeze, yeah, plenty of characters will have unburstable kill setups if they have 100% Tension.

Speaking of that set though, Purepure shows off some very interesting things. Throughout the set, he utilises Jump Install for his mid-screen Bukkirabou ni Nageru combos, as can be seen here. In Part 2, at 1:01, Purepure lands a CH Fafnir right in the middle of the screen and gets a full corner combo conversion off it. He does it again at 1:44 and is even able to combo it into a deep hitting Gun Flame, although he drops the 2HS aftewards.

The most interesting thing, in my opinion, occurs at 8:39. Purepure lands MC Volcanic Viper, but then cancels the first hit into another Volcanic Viper (1) without spending any meter. It seems that Danger Time (or judging from the fact that he RC'd the second Volcanic Viper (1), maybe just Mortal Counter itself) invokes some unique cancel properties. Guilty Gear Xrd still has more mysteries yet to be solved.

Purepure lands MC Volcanic Viper, but then cancels the first hit into another Volcanic Viper (1) without spending any meter.

holy shit you're right

oh and j.K can cross-up? intredasting....

Edited by Bloodcrave

oh and j.K can cross-up? intredasting....

Haven't quite finished watching the matches, when did that occur?

If anyone sees something it helps us all have the most detailed up to date info if you can provide the match and time it occurs (if possible) :)

Another Purepure set, another series of observations.

First off, Fafnir (YRC) > Bukkirabou ni Nageru (as shown here and here) is pretty dirty. I like it.

Moving a few minutes ahead, this Bukkirabou ni Nageru combo route shows potential. It's dropped part-way through, but I imagine he went for it because it's possible. If so, that could mean being able to carry Bedman over half of the screen distance in a single command throw combo. It looks incredibly character specific, just like that one Bon-chan variation done from P1 starting position.

Not much longer after that, we get a sad confirmation. Volcanic Viper is not PRCable. Some of you might find this footage confusing if you're still working on the assumption that because Volcanic Viper was blocked, it would become an old fashioned, red Roman Cancel. That's because in Guilty Gear Xrd, the rules behind Roman Cancels depend on whether the opponent is in hitstun or blockstun rather than whether you connect altogether. Purepure also gets a failed RC attempt with Grand Viper. This means that Grand Viper also cannot be PRC'd (unlike its Dragon Install counterpart, which has been proven to be PRCable).

Part 2 starts off with Purepure wanting that IAD j.P really bad, but just getting a regular jump instead. Maybe next time, buddy.

After Gorilla switches to Ky, the first match ends with Purepure activating Dragon Install to confirm Ky's position in the air, then landing P.B.B. to secure the win (that's right, video footage of P.B.B. actually connecting). Note that you can clearly see a green ring appear around Ky right before he's caught. This means that either Gorilla just tapped Faultless Defense rather than holding it (which seems unlikely given the situation), or P.B.B. is now an unblockable. The fact that the current (edit: formerly) highest ranking player would just go for it like that lends some credence to the notion that it's an actual set-up and not just a random thing that worked. It seems like you'd need to RC to combo off it though, you're definitely not getting anything else for free mid-screen.

Finally, we have some more Danger Time occurrences. We get another example of a move canceling into itself on Mortal Counter (this time it's MC 5D > 5D, note that Sol doesn't move horizontally at all, so it wasn't off a quick Homing Dash). Immediately after that, a late hitting MC Gun Flame, Gun Flame connects. Considering how far away Ky was when he was hit by the first Gun Flame though, there's nothing too surprising there.

Thanks, wow that's cool I don't think that could've happened in previous games. I wonder if you can air backdash into them with it and hit now.

yeah the commentator mentioned it got buffed, so he must've been referring to the fact that it can crossup now

in the purepure vs gorilla bedman vids, sol did CH far 5S > GF RC and instead of yellow it became red, i guess that pretty much confirms that you can't yrc when opponent is in hitstun

edit: i'm surprised j.P managed to clash with RTL :v:

air dash j.S > j.D > fafnir works! i thought it wouldn't connect since fafnir seems kinda slow on the start

oh and finally we see PBB!

seems like it can only be used for combo ender? i remember someone mentioning you can connect it from j.D back during loketests

Edited by Bloodcrave

in the purepure vs gorilla bedman vids, sol did CH far 5S > GF RC and instead of yellow it became red, i guess that pretty much confirms that you can't yrc when opponent is in hitstun

edit: i'm surprised j.P managed to clash with RTL :v:

air dash j.S > j.D > fafnir works! i thought it wouldn't connect since fafnir seems kinda slow on the start

Yeah, YRC is neutral-only. There's been a couple of examples showing that and it allows for interesting combos to be done.

Fafnir after jD just works if you do a fallind low to the ground jD, the only issue seems to be them being too high and being missed by fafnir.

Yeah looks pretty sweet, already thinking of some fun tricks with that. YRC something as you go over like BB or Kudakero into falling behind j.K or land WT or other fun stuff. I hope to see Sol's exploring it more in vids soon!

Also Fafnir YRC looks so damn great in that last purepure set. Fafnir looks so good in general.

I should add by the way, that the reason a lot of those later combos started off with 5D > Homing Dash was so that Sol could start a combo and then restand so he could land 6P on a grounded opponent. This is thanks to the slumped state that's triggered when an opponent hits the ground during a wall stick. Suffice to say we're back to 6P only having decent untechable time on grounded opponents. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, I suppose.

There are some examples from the first combo video where 6P -> 6HS is used as a combo ender at the end of some extended combos, which implies it at least has a little more untechable time on air hit than it did in Reload.

I suppose that's true, 6P > 6HS(1) only worked during comparatively briefer combos pre-AC+R. Mind you, this is all assuming that 6HS is the same, which it could very well not be given its new properties.