VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

From what I remember from my brief time in Japan, dustloop seems even more dependent on getting the first j.D of each rep out as soon as possible. It seemed easier to do it after a normal (like 2H), which is probably why the first rep seems easier -- possibly because there's a buffer in the game, not sure.

I think maybe Sol spends slightly less time in the air in his normal jump than in previous games, which gives slightly less time to do each rep.

GV maxes out at 9 hits now.

For me, I seemed to have more luck on the second rep if I didn't dash jump. Not sure why.

It depends on the character's wight.

Some characters require you to delay your jump so they don't end up being too high for the second dust to hit.

Actually dashing is not important unless you where hit confirming from a long distance like ad j.S j.HS 5K 6P 5HS.

Is there any benefit to using the Fafnir route to the DL route, beyond just swag points?

Like we talked about a few posts back, I think the 1 rep to Fafnir to eventual Kudakero into BR route is preferred since it gives you a BR ender for very similar damage.

BR gives you more time to do safe jump and related oki. Air VV isn't a bad knockdown but it's not quite as advantageous, you have less time after recovering before the opponent wakes up. More time means a couple things but for starters, you can walk forward a bit to gain more tension before needing to jump into safe jump oki, or getting close for OTG 2K GF(YRC) oki stuff.

I also think the Fafnir route may give more tension, but need to try verifying that today.

You could also say it's more stable, I feel like it is anyway.

EDIT:

It also depends on the starter, sometimes you don't do Fafnir after any dustloop reps. What I'm talking about here is really the difference between ending in air VV vs BR, which doesn't come into play unless you can't get Kudakero to hit properly.

EDIT2:

I tested combos from 2K 6P, the BR ender got noticeably more meter than doing 2 rep dustloop into air VV ender, and 6P 6H ender.

So how do you guys feel about Xrd sol compared to his AC/ACR counter parts? Particularly the NA players now that they got a taste for the game and their favorite scientist.

So how do you guys feel about Xrd sol compared to his AC/ACR counter parts? Particularly the NA players now that they got a taste for the game and their favorite scientist.

For me at least, I last played Sol seriously in Slash. AC was when I transitioned to HOS, and ACR I very briefly dabbled in Sol.

Overall, I think Xrd Sol is probably one of the best versions of the character. AC and ACR versions are too focused on combo potential to the detriment of the actual ability of the character to compete. With the new RC system, Sol benefits tremendously. The ability to deal fantastic damage from any hit, combined with the oppressive lockdown capabilities and simple-yet-effective mixup makes him a force to be reckoned with.

The fact that VR liked your post, means I don't need him to write something out either. From what I see, it feels like kudakero, really is the move Sol needed to have a better handle on the bad matchups simply brought about m character design. He has better ways of getting in now simply because of that move and a variety of ways to getting in on opponents.

I think YRC, more than any other move, is what makes Xrd Sol so much stronger. Kudakero is definitely a welcome addition to his repertoire, but even that move is vastly better because of the new RC system. The sheer number of possibilities, the way the slowdown makes his offense so much more difficult to get out of, all of that adds up to making him way stronger.

I'm loving that cross-under. Nicely found.

Someone on Nico Nico Douga recently uploaded some combos from the demo as well. Lots of neat stuff.

Also, posting on behalf of VR-Raiden, who stumbled across something interesting regarding P.B.B. As it turns out, it's possible to combo into P.B.B. on a standing or crouching opponent via any jump cancelable normal. However, it would appear that it's not possible to land P.B.B. on a standing or crouching opponent if the opponent is not in hitstun, it will just whiff. I can't think of any other move that works this way. At this point there's basically no reason to end a full length DI combo with anything else if you don't have meter.

So some other interesting things I noticed today.

I don't know how practical it is in reality, but tk.DI seems pretty dirty. You can vary the timing so that you can get j.S out immediately after, or do it so low that not even j.P comes out. Or land and low/WT.

I tried some backdash YRC things. You can backdash YRC j.P SVV and combo after it in corner, however I'm unsure if that j.P would even connect on crouchers. Maybe Potemkin at least. j.K works too but really doubt that one would hit crouching.

In DI, backdash YRC j.S > PBB combos. Definitely looks like it would work on crouchers.

Also this is pretty cool, when thrown with flashing guard bar, ground throw counts as a CH now. Midscreen you can get dash 5K or f.S into 5H IAD stuff or RC BB routes. Corner you can link 5K into any dustloop routes. With how easy it is to rack guard gauge up with Fafnir, that could be useful.

Oh and I tried the GF YRC WT trick, I think it's easier in this than it has been in the past. Seems like just a matter of getting YRC out as soon as possible after GF, then WT out as soon as possible. (example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdnS9Q7fhG0&t=2m26s

one more funny thing, it's not exactly ground-breaking but it's pretty funny, if you were to jump in > air DI to bait an anti-air, then air HVV to punish, you get practically 50% Tension back and can then RC into Kudakero into combos. If you see they just blocked when you did DI, come down with j.S or whatever else.

good shit king of heart, even if opponents block the VV it's still advantageous to us since there's the GF, i seriously think that's the best reversal option now

regarding that DI combo at the end of http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24715111, i was thinking maybe you can end with PBB instead?

Yeah that ender is tottally unsafe.

but i am not sure if PBB could whiff on slided opponent!

I'm not too sure about sliding opponents (although I don't see why it wouldn't work considering everything else), but it does connect on a crouching opponent off a wall stick slump.

It's not a throw or anything, you can combo into it freely without stagger and it doesn't seem to grab techs. Actually, it's pretty difficult with the resources available in the demo to confirm if it's even unblockable in the air.

i've been thinking, what happens if the opponent blocks the VV and you RC the GF? will it be a YRC? or red/purple RC?

It will be YRC but anyway i guess you will still at advantage without it because time slow will increase the blockstun.

I also did a DI combo out of a WT. it seems that it works almost anywhere because of the long rolling time of DI.BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npnwB6WL468

It's not a throw or anything, you can combo into it freely without stagger and it doesn't seem to grab techs. Actually, it's pretty difficult with the resources available in the demo to confirm if it's even unblockable in the air.

PPB is unblockable i can confirm it