VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

You can plink in this game ala sf4

you can plink the dust using the taunt so you can get a double input and the dustloop become incredible easy

You can plink in this game ala sf4

you can plink the dust using the taunt so you can get a double input and the dustloop become incredible easy

I guess it would useful online.

But I won't be able to relay on it in Arcades because taunt is pretty far from the D.

I guess it would useful online.

But I won't be able to relay on it in Arcades because taunt is pretty far from the D.

no it doesn't work i was mistaken...i tought it was because of how the input are displayed in training mode but one of the button is grey, which means you were just holding that button and the game didnt get that input

I found out something pretty useful to day.

Sol's grab float the opponent if the guard gauge flashing.

And you can combo into 50%+ damage with a dustloop in the corner.

Or into S HS IAD combo midscreen.

Pretty useful if you kept pressuring with gunflame YRC then go into a one frame unbreakable grab.

As an ender, I like 6P > BR to set up jump based oki in the corner. 6P-6H > 214P times and spaces GF YRC perfectly. Also, as a novelty, I like 6P-6H > 214K. It's timed perfectly to hit meaty, and you can RC the first hit into (IAD) jP or jS, or land 2K-6P into loop, or WT, etc. You can also PRC it to land far and bait a DP, or close, though this is even more of a gimmick.

I really cannot agree with using Riot Stamp as oki. Doing safe jumps allows you to bait all sorts of stuff without having to spend meter, and GF oki is much safer.

6P-6H > 214P times and spaces GF YRC perfectly.

I was looking at this a couple days ago and noticed you can get better advantage if you max delay cancel the 6HS into GF(YRC) instead of doing 214P before. It gives you slightly stronger mixup after, but didn't test with all wake-up timings to see if that causes any issues yet.

So R0B0T made a vid with a nice Zato only fuzzy in corner. dash j.S fuzzy j.K j.S etc. j.K j.S j.D probably gets the best stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoOqRLvbn-w

Anyway seeing that made me go and look at fuzzies again because I thought it was weird Zato was hit standing in that. It seems like they changed fuzzies? Because now you can do fuzzy j.S or j.P and combo into VV after easily, since they aren't crouched like they would be in previous GG's.

Here are 2 possible combos with fuzzy j.P, j.P is better since they can't IB to avoid blocking it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53O1v8m7gw

Fuzzy j.P works on: AX, RA, SI, SL, SO, VE, ZA

Fuzzy j.S works on: all of the above + BE, IN, MI, PO

It's gonna be costly if they blocked, but it's easy to confirm off that RC. In corner you get meterless combos but better RC if they blocked.

On a related note did they help out Potemkin's hurtbox? I could not for the life of me get fuzzy j.D anymore, and was surprised when I couldn't get fuzzy j.P. Maybe I'm just bad, would be curious if anyone else can get those on him.

I was looking at this a couple days ago and noticed you can get better advantage if you max delay cancel the 6HS into GF(YRC) instead of doing 214P before. It gives you slightly stronger mixup after, but didn't test with all wake-up timings to see if that causes any issues yet.

One thing to note here is that 6H > delay as much as possible > GF causes the GF to hit really late and meaty, giving tons of frame advantage without even needing to YRC. Personally, I think the really late hit GF oki is strong enough that it's probably better to conserve the meter and not use the YRC.

Although, yeah, not sure about some of the characters with late wakeup timings like Chipp or Sin. I'm guessing it may not work against them.

It hits so late that you can reversal BD it. So an astute player might try that if they see the GF hitting late several times.

It's probably me, but I recorded the late hit GF and whether it hits or barely whiffs seems to depend on spacing and their height when you 6P. I also can't seem to YRC it, only red. Can you get these things to work reliably?

Opening pressure string? Usually I mix up between tick -> Wild Throw, tick -> 6P, a low, or 5K for catching jumps or backdashes. So my starting strings when I catch someone might look something like:

2P > Wild Throw

2P > slight delay > 6P

2P > 2K > 5S > hit-confirm from there

5K > 5S > hit-confirm from there.

2K > 5S > etc.

But those are mostly for mixups. If I'm just pressuring someone, usually because they blocked my first mixup, I'll either chain to 2S and use the frame advantage to fish for counter hits with 5H or Fafnir, pester people with 5S(f) > 2S repeat, or go into sweep/5H/2H > GF YRC and continue from there. I generally do a combination of frame traps and staggers and GF YRC to get people to respect me, then I move in for a mix up.

Does that answer your question?

It's probably me, but I recorded the late hit GF and whether it hits or barely whiffs seems to depend on spacing and their height when you 6P. I also can't seem to YRC it, only red. Can you get these things to work reliably?

If you're getting a Red Roman Cancel when you want a Yellow Roman Cancel but the Gun Flame is still positioned correctly, all you need to do is delay the Roman Cancel input slightly. Gun Flame has a really long YRC window, so you should take advantage of that. This is also a common issue if you try going for OTG 2K > Gun Flame (YRC) and the opponent doesn't immediately tech.

I got into looking heavy into corner oki yesterday and know what you mean now. From a typical Kudakero 6P 6HS end, I wasn't able to get a YRC, only RC. When I got YRC it was off a ground hit 6HS knockdown, which results in less time between when you start GF and their hitstun ends than air hit 6HS, so it makes sense. Maybe it works but it's really tight? So if you do end with 6P 6HS, I think the best option is late cancel meaty GF and just take the advantage that gives, like Orrax mentioned. Doing GF feint > GF YRC is ok, but jump in mixup is not as strong there as after a BR knockdown.

So I was looking at a way to get better corner oki off standard combos to BR. One that doesn't require you to land in throw range for a 2K 6P to combo. I found that if you do Kudakero 6P delay 5HS BR, it makes BR hit very high and adds pushback and advantage. So you have plenty of time to position yourself outside throw range where an empty neutral jump 2K 6P will combo. You can also do meaty safejump j.S, meaty j.D, late airdash, or empty 2D here. And you can GF YRC to make it stronger.

With the usual 6P BR, you can walk back and neutral jump too, but the GF YRC after walking back there is weaker.

I tried this from the standard 2K 6P combo and got the high BR hit on everyone but Faust, Sin, Sol, and Slayer. On Ram it can work but feels super tight.

I want to document a more detailed oki comparison at some point, maybe in its own thread. But this seems to give the opponent the fewest options for escaping.

So I was looking at a way to get better corner oki off standard combos to BR. One that doesn't require you to land in throw range for a 2K 6P to combo. I found that if you do Kudakero 6P delay 5HS BR, it makes BR hit very high and adds pushback and advantage. So you have plenty of time to position yourself outside throw range where an empty neutral jump 2K 6P will combo. You can also do meaty safejump j.S, meaty j.D, late airdash, or empty 2D here. And you can GF YRC to make it stronger.

With the usual 6P BR, you can walk back and neutral jump too, but the GF YRC after walking back there is weaker.

I tried this from the standard 2K 6P combo and got the high BR hit on everyone but Faust, Sin, Sol, and Slayer. On Ram it can work but feels super tight.

I actually don't like the 6h ended anymore. I've been doing 6p > BR, walk back OTG 2k > GF. Good advantage for the jump games or standard post-GF oki. Also, if they like to tech 2k you get options there.

i'm having trouble with mission no. 37, dash 5S > 6P > 5H jc > j.D jc J.D j.D > dash j.K j.D jc j.D > kudakero > VV

i always miss the 2nd hit of kudakero and so there will never be enough time for VV to hit

Bloodcrave: Neutral JC for the second j.D will help space you so that the second hit of Kudakero will connect. It's tough, but doable. Useful for high hitconfirms of Dloops where you want to bring the opponent back down and get better oki off of BR enders.

RE: 6P-6HS ender, this is useful for certain combos where you get pushed too far out by Kudakero and delayed BR after 6P will not hit. Not optimal, but still good damage and oki. BR is best though, the damage is the same in long combos due to proration and the oki is superior in every way.

Bloodcrave: Neutral JC for the second j.D will help space you so that the second hit of Kudakero will connect. It's tough, but doable. Useful for high hitconfirms of Dloops where you want to bring the opponent back down and get better oki off of BR enders.

oh the trick is to neutral jc? alright i'll try it out tomorrow

curiously i managed to do the combo but without dashing before j.K so it wasn't accepted lol

I'm new to GG (I have some experience with other fighters like SF and P4A but not much) and I've decided to start with Sol as he seems to be the most highly recommended beginner character. I have a few questions about playing Sol and using him to learn the game. I'm not sure whether this thread is the right place to ask but it seems to be the most active. 

1) What are the most important things I should be practising with Sol in training mode?

2) What are some general bad habits new players should avoid (jumping too much, pressing too many buttons, etc.) and bad habits specific to Sol?

3) What is Sol's general gameplan (get a knockdown then go into set play? bully the opponent in the neutral and control space? etc.)?

4) How do you improve your neutral game? / Can you improve your neutral game using training mode? 

Thanks for the help!

I'm new to GG (I have some experience with other fighters like SF and P4A but not much) and I've decided to start with Sol as he seems to be the most highly recommended beginner character. I have a few questions about playing Sol and using him to learn the game. I'm not sure whether this thread is the right place to ask but it seems to be the most active. 

1) What are the most important things I should be practising with Sol in training mode?

You should practice these combos:

midscreen Wild Throw - 2HS > j.S > dj.S j.HS > HS VV > Otoshi

corner Wild Throw - Dash under 2HS > rising j.D falling j.D > Fafnir > dash 6P > slightly delayed 2HS > j.D Break > 6P > Slightly Delayed Bandit Revolver

corner Wild Throw - Dash under 2HS > rising j.D falling j.D > run jump rising j.D falling j.D > run jump j.K j.D dj.S j.D > HS VV > Otoshi

Really that's enough to get you going. All of his midscreen combos are based on that one, and all of his corner combos are based of Dust loop. The trials for Sol are REALLY good at showing you how to combo with Sol.

2) What are some general bad habits new players should avoid (jumping too much, pressing too many buttons, etc.) and bad habits specific to Sol?

Jumping is fine as long as you're not jumping AT your opponent without a double jump. Air dashing at a good opponent, however, is a good way to get yourself killed. Rising in your jump with a j.P to control space also lets you come down with a high-priority j.S.

Sol is SUPPOSED to hit a lot of buttons in my opinion. Don't be afraid to figure out what works where. Mashing sweep with Sol will work way more than it probably should. 

Never give up uppercut as an option unless you know it just won't work. Sol is one of the few characters in the game to actually have a really good invincible uppercut. You should get used to using it and making people respect it. People will go out of their way to bait it... because it's so good. That said, don't uppercut out of desperation, same as SF. Sol can actually take initiative off his uppercut with VV RC, similar to SF4'S DP FADC, only instead of being -5 on block you're +30.

3) What is Sol's general gameplan (get a knockdown then go into set play? bully the opponent in the neutral and control space? etc.)?

Sol's gameplan is to hit you to build meter and push you to the corner. He has no good options at full screen.

You throw shit at the wall and combo off of it if it sticks. If you want to play super patient, you should probably pick another character. That doesn't mean you should take crazy risks, but rather that you should try to maintain momentum. Like Ken, Sol has a very powerful offensive footsie game on the ground. Gunflame is like Hadouken on crack and makes his pressure very annoying, and Sol can convert any stray hit off 5S or 5HS into a corner knockdown with meter. Sol's 5K is a great answer to people jumping away from you, and his Wild Throw command grab forces the opponent to stay active.

4) How do you improve your neutral game? / Can you improve your neutral game using training mode?

Thanks for the help!

Learn how to stop specific options in specific matchups and learn the strengths and weaknesses of your various pokes. 6HS, for example, gives ridiculous damage on CH, knocks down, and catches people jumping back, but you leave yourself very open on whiff and you can be hit out of it on startup. 5HS is also very punishable on whiff, but can be jump cancelled for more options on block and can also be RC'd on hit for a big combo. Far S is your best "I have no idea what button to press" poke because it has less recovery and nice range, but is not jump cancellable and doesn't lead to anything without meter. 2S has slightly less range than far S, but is +3 on block, allowing you to continue pressure without relying on Gunflame. 2D low profiles even better than Ryu's cr.mk and is very fast, while leading to knockdown, but doesn't quite have the other range of Sol's other moves.

As for air options, Sol's j.P is an amazing air to air that leads to knockdowns and can be used to push opponents to the ground with air chains.

You can improve your neutral game in training mode by experimenting on with punishing different moves and strings from opponents, practicing anti-airs, and learning how to properly do your own pressure strings to limit options for your opponents.